ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

Alot of people are not real confident in what Butler could bring to UK this next year, primarily because of his limited outside shooting ability.

What wonders me more about Butler was how can a 75% free throw shooter drop to 59.4% (broken finger??).

BUT, if I had to choose right now, I would personally take a 5th-Year/ Senior Butler every day of the week as my starting PG in 24/25 over a Sophmore Wagner and I really liked Wagner...........I think if Calboy would have not been so tied in to starting DJ all of the time, DJ could have lowered expectation and pressure on himself trying to live up to the goofy high school ratings hype!!

Guarentee you I won’t. I fully understand a new coach deserves 3 years to get his program in place. Your basketball knowledge is the 4 min highlight videos of these guys on YouTube. I bet you don’t even know what offense pope runs, or his defensive tactics. Tell me then since you know so much, what made UConn’s offense so unique this year.
Ha ha. Two NBA prospects and other complimentary players with plenty of evidence they can play basketball at an elite level. We have none of that as this roster is currently constructed. You are so pleased though which is so telling.

ONE stud is all some are asking for but they are too poor for that? Sorry not buying it.
HTF do you know who is a stud and who isn't ? More lack of common sense with the "too poor", NOBODY said UK was poor, you made the shit up to try and make you look like you know WTF you are talking about, which in turn made you look even more clueless.

Oh, and if you are going to continue with the "too poor" BS in your post , no need replying, I do not have time to argue with a water head who just makes shit up as he goes.

HTF do you know who is a stud and who isn't ? More lack of common sense with the "too poor", NOBODY said UK was poor, you made the shit up to try and make you look like you know WTF you are talking about, which in turn made you look even more clueless.

Oh, and if you are going to continue with the "too poor" BS in your post , no need replying, I do not have time to argue with a water head who just makes shit up as he goes.
Yeah. We’ve never saw any of these guys play CBB before. They’re all really unknown players. One could be Michael Jordan 2.0. We just have no idea how they’ve played before. We have no film, stats, scouting reports. Nothing.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I feel like I’m more in the camp of those who are a bit underwhelmed by the current roster, but I promise it’s not because I just want to complain for the sake of it.

I actually do like Pope. In a lot of ways he’s a breath of fresh air after what we all endured at the end of the Cal era. He seems focused on building a winning team for Kentucky more than just getting players drafted, and he seems to have an overall philosophy in mind when targeting players instead of just taking random collections of the highest rated players on the draft board that he can convince to sign. That makes me hopeful for the intermediate to long term future, and I’m certainly not going to turn on him if he has some bumps in the road this first year.

I am trying to remain somewhat objective rather than let a honeymoon period with a new coach color all of my opinions though, so I do push back a little bit when I see people claiming this year’s team is going to be “loaded” and various other things that mean something similar.

To be clear before anyone puts words in my mouth, I don’t think the players we signed totally suck. They’re legitimately good players that could probably find a role on a lot of teams. My concern, to the extent you could call it that, is that role players is really all we have. We have defensive stoppers who may not score much, and shooters who aren’t known for any other aspects of their game, but no clear cut stars. Sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle with a team like that. Tubby did in 2003 at least until the tournament, but elite level teams with no stars are pretty rare in basketball, so I’m not counting on it from a group of guys who have never even played together. We’re most likely a solid team who should make most games competitive, but not likely to be much more for this year. I would be glad to be proven wrong though.

that said, I'm not going to tell someone their concerns aren't valid. I'm just not interested in putting that on Pope in year 1.

Hurley, I would have in a heartbeat

But Hurley would have demanded that we pay him $11m a year too

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I feel like I’m more in the camp of those who are a bit underwhelmed by the current roster, but I promise it’s not because I just want to complain for the sake of it.

I actually do like Pope. In a lot of ways he’s a breath of fresh air after what we all endured at the end of the Cal era. He seems focused on building a winning team for Kentucky more than just getting players drafted, and he seems to have an overall philosophy in mind when targeting players instead of just taking random collections of the highest rated players on the draft board that he can convince to sign. That makes me hopeful for the intermediate to long term future, and I’m certainly not going to turn on him if he has some bumps in the road this first year.

I am trying to remain somewhat objective rather than let a honeymoon period with a new coach color all of my opinions though, so I do push back a little bit when I see people claiming this year’s team is going to be “loaded” and various other things that mean something similar.

To be clear before anyone puts words in my mouth, I don’t think the players we signed totally suck. They’re legitimately good players that could probably find a role on a lot of teams. My concern, to the extent you could call it that, is that role players is really all we have. We have defensive stoppers who may not score much, and shooters who aren’t known for any other aspects of their game, but no clear cut stars. Sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle with a team like that. Tubby did in 2003 at least until the tournament, but elite level teams with no stars are pretty rare in basketball, so I’m not counting on it from a group of guys who have never even played together. We’re most likely a solid team who should make most games competitive, but not likely to be much more for this year. I would be glad to be proven wrong though.
This is me. To a T. Damn.

I don't think anyone said sign 10 top players. Has anyone actually said that? Or is it yet another strawman?
The 10 players is how many we have to sign to complete the roster. 13 roster spots, minus the 3 incoming freshman (who may even got small deals but I will not count for this debates sake) = 10 spots to fill the 13.
13 - 3 = 10. Got it ? OR would you rather take the 3 unproven, never played a game in college, freshmen and splurge on 3 top 10 portal guys and role with a 6 players on scholarship roster ? Well I guess you could sign a bunch of walk ons and finish out the 13. SO lets recap,
3 freshmen
3 top 10 portal guys
7 walk ons
13 total players.

Another round of bullshit.
Another idiot who can't count. 13 roster spots, 3 incoming freshmen, leaves TEN open roster spots to have a full roster. 10, exactly how many Pope will end up signing after adding the final two open spots. It is not that hard people, simple math, even a 1st grader could add this up.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
You're trying a gotcha with a flawed premise. Someone your level of intellect might not pick up on that. That's probably why you think you'll get away with it. There's a reason Robinson isn't even one of the top 10 players left in a portal that's already nearly been picked clean. We are in for a rough year and you'll be the first to turn on CMP once we start losing games Kentucky isn't supposed to lose

He's a great guy. He said he has no respect for the elderly and when asked to clarify he basically said "you heard me right." Tells you all you need to know about a person when they don't respect their elders. The word punk comes to mind, lol.

Reactions: Butters' Dad
The 10 players is how many we have to sign to complete the roster. 13 roster spots, minus the 3 incoming freshman (who may even got small deals but I will not count for this debates sake) = 10 spots to fill the 13.
13 - 3 = 10. Got it ? OR would you rather take the 3 unproven, never played a game in college, freshmen and splurge on 3 top 10 portal guys and role with a 6 players on scholarship roster ? Well I guess you could sign a bunch of walk ons and finish out the 13. SO lets recap,
3 freshmen
3 top 10 portal guys
7 walk ons
13 total players.
Here we go again with the straw men. You’re saying “we don’t know if we have studs”. I say we have saw them play before. Who said we have to get 6 freshmen? Like the Cal model? I’m asking for a top portal scorer. Who are proven in college. Just like the guys on the roster right now minus the 3 freshmen are proven. If you want to say Perry, Noah, and Chandler will be studs go ahead. I’m not buying it. Id much rather rely on a proven college player than a freshman. To fill that role.

Ha ha. Two NBA prospects and other complimentary players with plenty of evidence they can play basketball at an elite level. We have none of that as this roster is currently constructed. You are so pleased though which is so telling.
Where is there evidence any of the guys on Kentuckys roster can’t play at an elite level?

Reactions: KFuqua
I know. I wanted him for his rebounding and passing. His passing out of the post was perfect for Pope’s system. But at some point, the checkbook is gonna have to be opened. If you want to be a top program, you gotta pay the money.
I completely agree. I just wouldn’t have broken the bank for Osobor. But, I was dreaming of the elite interior passing we could’ve seen with him & Williams. But, I can’t blame Pope for that one. I honestly can’t believe that UW actually gave him that kind of $.

I wish we would’ve gone all in on a few guys, but, I really like the secondary pieces that Pope has put together & I’m giving him the benefit of doubt on landing a star this season. Having to sign 11-12 guys in a cpl months complicates things. But, no excuses starting with the 25 class & year 2 for Pope.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Respect that.

I wouldn’t say I am underwhelmed with the roster, but I’m not blown away by it. I think all things considered it was a nice job by the staff, and while I’m not going be buying FF tix, I think we will be competitive next season.

I said it earlier in here, but I think Pope is going need a year to showcase his style of play and player development, at UK, to land the elite guys. The fact we have been getting visits and talks with some of the guys is encouraging, but I am not shocked we have missed on some of them. It’s going take some time to build his brand up at UK, but I think he can do it. The staff seems to be making inroads with some guys for the future, which is all you can ask for right now.

No one expected Cal to leave in April, and no one really expected Pope to be the next coach. He has a lot of work to do, but he seems up to the task and we got a solid staff. I do look forward to the future, but my expectations are reasonable for year one.

I wouldn’t say I am underwhelmed with the roster, but I’m not blown away by it. I think all things considered it was a nice job by the staff, and while I’m not going be buying FF tix, I think we will be competitive next season.

I said it earlier in here, but I think Pope is going need a year to showcase his style of play and player development, at UK, to land the elite guys. The fact we have been getting visits and talks with some of the guys is encouraging, but I am not shocked we have missed on some of them. It’s going take some time to build his brand up at UK, but I think he can do it. The staff seems to be making inroads with some guys for the future, which is all you can ask for right now.

No one expected Cal to leave in April, and no one really expected Pope to be the next coach. He has a lot of work to do, but he seems up to the task and we got a solid staff. I do look forward to the future, but my expectations are reasonable for year one.
Same boat dawg

Another idiot who can't count. 13 roster spots, 3 incoming freshmen, leaves TEN open roster spots to have a full roster. 10, exactly how many Pope will end up signing after adding the final two open spots. It is not that hard people, simple math, even a 1st grader could add this up.
I think he was talking about you saying everyone expects 10 stud players. I haven't seen anyone post a thing saying that.

If you think that then you really are a POS.
You can cure dyslexia through reading and writing. do you know how I know that? I've helped people do it. You calling me a POS for simply being aware of this is comical.

Do you always play victim when your BS is called out or is it just with me?

Here we go again with the straw men. You’re saying “we don’t know if we have studs”. I say we have saw them play before. Who said we have to get 6 freshmen? Like the Cal model? I’m asking for a top portal scorer. Who are proven in college. Just like the guys on the roster right now minus the 3 freshmen are proven. If you want to say Perry, Noah, and Chandler will be studs go ahead. I’m not buying it. Id much rather rely on a proven college player than a freshman. To fill that role.
I never said we dont have studs. WTF ? never mind, it was in reference to if we splurged on 3 top 10 guys in the portal. TRY this again. IF we spent all the NIL money on 3 top 10 portal guys, (3 players) and we have 3 new recruits signed (3 players) 3+3 (incoming freshmen and 3 top portal guys) = 6 players committed. No NIL money left and the roster limit is 13. OK, we would have 6 signed in that scenerio, 7 left to sign. 6+7 = 13. With NO NIL money left after blowing it on 3 top 10 portal guys, we would have to sign 7 walk ons to get to the 13 max.

And my number is 100% correct, after Pope fills the last 2 open spots, that will be 10 (TEN) guys he added via the portal.

Last edited:
You can cure dyslexia through reading and writing. do you know how I know that? I've helped people do it. You calling me a POS for simply being aware of this is comical.
No I called you a piece of shit because you generalized a whole group of people. Also I can read, my issue comes when I scroll through to fast and I see phrases get bunched up and letter get turned around sometimes.

Reactions: BBUK
I never said we dont have studs. WTF ? never mind, it was in reference to if we splurged on 3 top 10 guys in the portal. TRY this again. IF we spent all the NIL money on 3 top 10 portal guys, (3 players) and we have 3 new recruits signed (3 players) 3+3 (incoming freshmen and 3 top portal guys) = 6 players committed. No NIL money left and the roster limit is 13. OK, we would have 6 signed in that scenerio, 7 left to sign. 6+7 = 132. With NO NIL money left after blowing it on 3 top 10 portal guys, we would have to sign 7 walk ons to get to the 13 max.

And my number is 100% correct, after Pope fills the last 2 open spots, that will be 10 (TEN) guys he added via the portal.
But we’re not asking for 3 guys. We’re asking for one. Again, you have no idea how much NIL we have. Do you think a school is gonna make their NIL budget public? Good way to get all your recruiting targets sniped.

Reactions: Butters' Dad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT