ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

You're right. Pope has never missed. Every player was simply commited too quickly to another school, mutual interest was agreed upon to go seperate ways, A player's plane was delayed at the airport. On his way to visit UK. And another school picked him up and offered him 3 million. It's ok to say we've missed on players. This is what I am talking about. We have missed on players. Whether that's because academic issues, NIL amount, or any other factors. We still missed. Call balls and strikes.
Tell me how those are missed then? Roach never visited here, he committed to Baylor in like 2 days. Nothing pope can do about that. The smith situation is also out of popes control.

Butler has been good for multiple years In a good conference. But he isn’t good enough for UK. Seems to make perfect sense. Nitpicking a coach this early is beyond ridiculous.
How many strawmen are we gonna build here. So far i've heard these:

Think a player should be a bench player=You think he isn't good enough for UK
We should add a scorer from the portal=You want a 5 star guard
I think Pope missed on this guy=You're just used to Cal's model
Voicing concerns about the current coach=You're nitpicking.

Keep posting your 'L's bro. You're the most entertaining part of this board.

"but no he isn’t good enough for Kentucky."

All you are doing is projecting. You're the one who accused me of saying something I didn't.
You accused me of saying pope isn’t good enough. I never said that. I didn’t accuse of jack shit. Your complaining about coach who hasn’t been here 2 months yet. Oh it’s the Kentucky standard. Just say you want to bitch about shit and move on.

Tell me how those are missed then? Roach never visited here, he committed to Baylor in like 2 days. Nothing pope can do about that. The smith situation is also out of popes control.
Are they at UK? Lol, you don't want to admit we missed. It's alright. We did miss on Roach. We missed on Mahaney, we missed on Osobor. Also really enjoying this revisionist history regarding Roach.

I guaran damn tee you, if Pope only had to add 2/3 players to build a roster instead of 10, there would be a couple of the top guys. He could not afford to drop serious money or over pay for 2 players and leave him with no money to sign the other 8 guys. It is simple math, X numbers of dollars to spend on 10 players, it would be totally different if he had the same money and only had to spread it between 2 players.

Lets say he had $4 million to spend (just as a reference point I have no clue how much they had / have) If Pope was to spend $2-2.5 million on 2 guys, now he only has $1.5-2 million to spend on the remaining 8 guys. Where as if he only had to sign 2/3 with the same $4 million, well the amount per player would allow him to be very selective and really go after the upper price guys, the Johnell Davis type players.

Pope was handicapped with having to replace an entire roster and in a very short time to do it. He has done very well, some of you need to check yourself, no coach could have signed 10 players with the money available to him and signed all top 10 portal guys. The math just doesn't add up.

it is like a salary cap FFL draft, if you blow 80% of your cap on 2 players, you are stuck with all $1 players to fill the other spots.

I guaran damn tee you, if Pope only had to add 2/3 players to build a roster instead of 10, there would be a couple of the top guys. He could not afford to drop serious money or over pay for 2 games and leave him with no money to sign the other 8 guys. It is simple math, X numbers of dollars to spend on 10 players, it would be totally different if he had the same money and only had to spread it between 2 guys.

Lets say the had $4 million to spend (just as a reference point I have no clue how much they had / have) If Pope was to spend $2-2.5 million on 2 guys, now he only has $1.5-2 million to spend on the remaining 8 guys. Where as if he only had to sign 2/3 with the same $4 million, well the amount per player would allow him to be very selective and really go after the upper price guys, the Johnell Davis type players.

Pope was handicapped with having to replace an entire roster and in a very short time to do it. He has done very well, some of you need to check yourself, no coach could have signed 10 players with the money available to him and signed all top 10 portal guys. The math just doesn't add up.

it is like a salary cap FFL draft, if you blow 80% of your cap on 2 players, you are stuck with all $1 players to fill the other spots.
We have no clue how much money he has. The source saying he had 4 million was from Matt Jones like a few days after he was hired.

I guaran damn tee you, if Pope only had to add 2/3 players to build a roster instead of 10, there would be a couple of the top guys. He could not afford to drop serious money or over pay for 2 players and leave him with no money to sign the other 8 guys. It is simple math, X numbers of dollars to spend on 10 players, it would be totally different if he had the same money and only had to spread it between 2 guys.

Lets say the had $4 million to spend (just as a reference point I have no clue how much they had / have) If Pope was to spend $2-2.5 million on 2 guys, now he only has $1.5-2 million to spend on the remaining 8 guys. Where as if he only had to sign 2/3 with the same $4 million, well the amount per player would allow him to be very selective and really go after the upper price guys, the Johnell Davis type players.

So after Mitch has crowed for 2 months about all the NIL pouring in we are too broke to buy a good player. Okay.

How many strawmen are we gonna build here. So far i've heard these:

Think a player should be a bench player=You think he isn't good enough for UK
We should add a scorer from the portal=You want a 5 star guard
I think Pope missed on this guy=You're just used to Cal's model
Voicing concerns about the current coach=You're nitpicking.
Richie you have complained about every player he has added pretty much and said they are bench players when you haven’t seen one of them play for him yet. That’s as nitpicky as nitpicky gets. Voicing concerns is one thing, complaining about every move he makes is nitpicky stuff. I want a scorer to round out the roster. But I’m not gonna sit here and say oh they are all bench players. We don’t know how any of these guys fit into the system at all. We don’t know who will take a major jump in production.

Richie you have complained about every player he has added pretty much and said they are bench players when you haven’t seen one of them play for him yet. That’s as nitpicky as nitpicky gets. Voicing concerns is one thing, complaining about every move he makes is nitpicky stuff. I want a scorer to round out the roster. But I’m not gonna sit here and say oh they are all bench players. We don’t know how any of these guys fit into the system at all. We don’t know who will take a major jump in production.
Complete lie and fabrication. LOL, I've liked Carr, Brea, Williams. The one I didn't like was Butler. I have also voiced concern on Pope missing on big time scorers.

Reactions: track42
Complete lie and fabrication. LOL, I've liked Carr, Brea, Williams. The one I didn't like was Butler. I have also voiced concern on Pope missing on big time scorers.
I doubt that, you complain about damn near every player he targets. I doubt you said one thing positive about any of those 3. You probably nitpicked all 3 of them as well. But you fan the way you wanna fan.

So after Mitch has crowed for 2 months about all the NIL pouring in we are too broke to buy a good player. Okay.
Are you that dense ? NO team would have enough to sign TEN players and them all be top guys. I never said UK was broke, I said it is impossible to sign 10 players and them all be studs / elite guys. Common sense is pretty important in debating / discussing.

I doubt that, you complain about damn near every player he targets. I doubt you said one thing positive about any of those 3. You probably nitpicked all 3 of them as well. But you fan the way you wanna fan.
Don't want to strike out on these guys. We need Roach, Brea, and Williams. Can't let Duke or some other program poach them.

He's a good one for sure.

Brea and Osobor on the same day would be nice.

Reactions: Butters' Dad
Are you that dense ? NO team would have enough to sign TEN players and them all be top guys. I never said UK was broke, I said it is impossible to sign 10 players and them all be studs / elite guys. Common sense is pretty important in debating / discussing.
ONE stud is all some are asking for but they are too poor for that? Sorry not buying it.

They don’t like butler being one of the signings with I don’t get at all

I don't think anyone said sign 10 top players. Has anyone actually said that? Or is it yet another strawman?

They don’t like butler being one of the signings with I don’t get at all
I don't like him starting. As i've explained 3993493942394 times before. In a system that wants to shoot 35 3s a game. Per Coach Fueger. Having a brick layer as your PG makes no sense. It makes sense when you realize he was a panic add after we missed on Roach. But it gets spun as he was always the target, he fits the system like a glove, hes perfect. Why do you think UK sent the house with the full staff for Butler?

At the beginning Pope was the only coach hired who could officially recruit and had no holdovers from the previous roster, so anyone who committed was taking a leap of faith.

It’s not like he was a big name coach spending huge money on 2-3 players. It was something he had to carefully navigate on his own for a while. It wasn’t perfect, but his effort was phenomenal.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
You accused me of saying pope isn’t good enough. I never said that. I didn’t accuse of jack shit. Your complaining about coach who hasn’t been here 2 months yet. Oh it’s the Kentucky standard. Just say you want to bitch about shit and move on.
I am typing in perfect dang English and I'm confusing the hell out of you. It's like you are reading my posts and creating your own meaning in your head.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don't like him starting. As i've explained 3993493942394 times before. In a system that wants to shoot 35 3s a game. Per Coach Fueger. Having a brick layer as your PG makes no sense. It makes sense when you realize he was a panic add after we missed on Roach. But it gets spun as he was always the target, he fits the system like a glove, hes perfect. Why do you think UK sent the house with the full staff for Butler?
I will own up and admit I was wrong on the 3 players you mentioned then. I was wrong in that end. Butler is more than good enough to start though.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I will own up and admit I was wrong on the 3 players you mentioned then. I was wrong in that end. Butler is more than good enough to start though.
If UK ran a system that didn't rely on the 3 ball I'd agree with you. We had better hope the wings are torching the nets from deep. Because Butler might make 1 a game.

I remember seeing a report we were in the neighborhood of Georgia football money. I knew it couldn’t be true but don’t remember who was reporting it when Pope was first hired. Anyone else remember this?

I remember seeing a report we were in the neighborhood of Georgia football money. I knew it couldn’t be true but don’t remember who was reporting it when Pope was first hired. Anyone else remember this?
We have 4 million according to KSR (lol) but there's also the fan collective that raised I believe 950k. So around 5 million. But we also don't know if the donors have pledged more.

If UK ran a system that didn't rely on the 3 ball I'd agree with you. We had better hope the wings are torching the nets from deep. Because Butler might make 1 a game.
If they start Robinson brea Carr with him he doesn’t have to be a shooter. Just defend, penetrate and set up others.

If they start Robinson brea Carr with him he doesn’t have to be a shooter. Just defend, penetrate and set up others.
Which is why I said what I said. I would still have liked a PG who’s a threat from deep. Can never have too many shooters. And we saw what happened with Wheeler. A lot of the same arguments were made for Wheeler. “Set up shooters and defend”.

They chose to move on because they didn't want to pay what he was asking. Not a miss I guess. Washington paid, we didn't. Simple I think.
I wanted Osobor, too. But, he’s not worth $2M. I would’ve moved on as well. If I’m giving that kinda $ to a player he better be able to shoot outside of 3 feet. He’s a really good piece, but, he’s not the number 1 option that we’re missing.

He scores on dunks & putbacks & is completely worthless outside of the paint, in terms of scoring. He’s a next level defender, passer & rebounder though & that’s why I wanted him at a realistic price. But, adding him wouldn’t have changed anything about our current lack of an offensive stud. $2M for him is borderline delusional.

Which is why I said what I said. I would still have liked a PG who’s a threat from deep. Can never have too many shooters. And we saw what happened with Wheeler. A lot of the same arguments were made for Wheeler. “Set up shooters and defend”.
Im fine with a multi year starter who a good portion of teams in the country would want.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT