ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

I don’t think this roster is close to those teams, talent wise. But, I could see them making a Sweet 16-Elite 8 run with what we have right now. Maybe even a FF. There is no question that adding a big time player would increase our potential exponentially. It would make us top 5-10, IMO. And, we all hope that happens. But, it’s not impossible to make deep NCAAT runs without future NBA studs.

Since 2010, 8 teams have made it to the FF without overwhelming talent, with one (UCONN) winning it all in 2014. Hell, we had a front row seat for some of them. Our uber talented 2010 team with 8 future NBA players were sent home by a WVU team with two guys who played in the NBA (Kevin Jones & Devin Ebanks) for a grand total of 95 games.

Butler was the runner-up in 2011 with Shelvin Mack as its only future NBA player. VCU also made the FF that season & their only NBA player was Troy Daniels who averaged a whopping 2ppg for that VCU team.

In 2014, Florida went to the FF with only Dorian Finney-Smith as a future pro. As I mentioned earlier, UCONN won a championship that season with only Shabazz Napier making the NBA off that team. In 2016, Oklahoma made it & Buddy Hield was their only NBA player. And, 2018 Loyola-Chicago & 2023 FAU both played in the FF with zero future NBA talent.

I’m not saying that I think that translates into our roster being FF good. Although, I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if it happened. Our roster is at least as good as most of the teams I listed. My point is that 8 teams in the last 15 tournaments have gone to a FF without having dominant talent & future NBA all-stars. It may not be as likely, but, it’s absolutely possible that we can get to the FF without any NBA all-stars.
Well I could also see myself winning the lottery and maybe even turning down a supermodel that is too clingy and wants me all to herself.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
Stupid question but is Nashville a Tennessee centric city. Or is a melting pot of multiple fanbases?
I lived south of Nashville when I was in high school. The idea that a kid from Nashville would innately want to be a Vol is not necessarily true. Additionally, kids from Tennessee have historically chosen UK: Delk, Mercer, and Yarbrough would have if Pitino had stayed.

So you think pope hasnt done a good job? Brea and Carr I would good top guys at their position.
I think Pope has done a great job coming in and getting fans excited about a new start. He has also done a great job at filling the coaching staff. The current roster is another story. It definitely still has a lot to be desired and the inability to reel in the top-end talent is concerning. Most knew coming in that this was going to be Pope's biggest hurdle, so hopefully he re-groups and adapts. NIL money should not be a problem, neither the big-name brand that is Kentucky. Therefore, Pope has all of the tools to recruit at a high level, he just desperately needs that first big one to get momentum.

I think Pope has done a great job coming in and getting fans excited about a new start. He has also done a great job at filling the coaching staff. The current roster is another story. It definitely still has a lot to be desired and the inability to reel in the top-end talent is concerning. Most knew coming in that this was going to be Pope's biggest hurdle, so hopefully he re-groups and adapts. NIL money should not be a problem, neither the big-name brand that is Kentucky. Therefore, Pope has all of the tools to recruit at a high level, he just desperately needs that first big one to get momentum.
Where is this roster bad at? He had to get guys that would stay multiple years, he got the best 3 point shooter in college ball, he got 2 al defensive first team players, a guy who average 14 a game in the ACC. Oweh isn’t a scrub. Lanier or Robinson make this a really good team

This isn’t a Cal team anymore…you are gonna be surprised by what good coaching can do.

Where is this roster bad at? He had to get guys that would stay multiple years, he got the best 3 point shooter in college ball, he got 2 al defensive first team players, a guy who average 14 a game in the ACC. Oweh isn’t a scrub. Lanier or Robinson make this a really good team
Do you think this roster if it stays the same will win the SEC?

We should at least expect Pope and company to bat better than .000% with top-end recruits, in the portal and out of highschool. Kentucky and it's fans should never temper expectations.
News flash buddy …Pope has been on the job for 2 months…he never got a chance to get the high end recruits.

Koby Brea was wanted by every blue blood and we got him. Sounds like a high end transfer to me.

Duke wanted Butler…we got him.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan041
My 2 cents, not claiming to be worth any more, but if I’m Lanier and UT is my choice, I’m not waiting until after my visit to decide. And announce. I’ve made my other visits, and if UT has sold me, then I’m announcing on my visit.
However, if I have doubts, every hour that passes after I leave Knoxville uncommitted, the recency bias fades and I realize how ugly that orange is.

Interesting. It's starting to look like this may be the roster so we will find out but the SEC seems loaded this season.
This will not be the final roster, they are adding 2 more guys. They will get a 1 option type guy, my guess and it’s a guess is Robinson. It could be laneir, it could be Peterson or Riley, it could be poplar, Lathon, Christie, or wells. They are getting somebody

News flash buddy …Pope has been on the job for 2 months…he never got a chance to get the high end recruits.

Koby Brea was wanted by every blue blood and we got him. Sounds like a high end transfer to me.

Duke and Uconn both backed off Brea.

Reactions: Warf2012
Even if Lanier and Robinson both fell through, aren’t there quite a few guys expected to return to college from the draft process?

I never said that the roster was bad. I said that it was "another story" compared to the "great" things Pope has done here so far. I think our team is above average at this very second, but it is still an unfinished roster. I agree on Oweh, and believe he will be one of our best players at the moment, and even a fan favorite. It's crazy how much flak one gets if you don't think this team is Final Four material and is completely giddy like a schoolgirl. And anyone who even tries to disagree or has doubts are now Arkansas fans or trolls. I know some already have Pope up there with Rupp since he played here, but like any new coach he has to prove that he belongs here. My wait-and-see approach DOES NOT mean that I am not rooting for Pope nor supporting him.

Last edited:
I never said that the roster was bad. I said that it was "another story" compared to the "great" things Pope has done here so far. I think our team is above average at this very second, but it is still an unfinished roster. I agree on Oweh, and believe he will be one of our best players at the moment, and even a fan favorite. It's crazy how much flak one gets if you don't think this team is Final Four material and is completely giddy like a schoolgirl. And anyone who even tries to disagree or has doubts are now Arkansas fans or trolls. I know somebalready have Pope up there with Rupp since he played here, but like any new coach he has to prove that he belongs here. My wait-and-see approach DOES NOT mean that I am not rooting for Pope nor supporting him.
Gonna be dead serious. This board is 1:1 mirroring the Indiana board when they hired Mike Woodson.

Do you think this roster if it stays the same will win the SEC?
Not a snowballs chance in hell. Current roster finishes no better than 4th in the SEC.

Word is it’s not looking good for UK’s chances of getting Lanier.

Pope better pray and beg Robinson to pull out of the draft and come here. Personally I don’t think he’s as good as Lanier but he’s the best option left. Missing out on all the top portal guys is going to hurt this team.

I lived south of Nashville when I was in high school. The idea that a kid from Nashville would innately want to be a Vol is not necessarily true. Additionally, kids from Tennessee have historically chosen UK: Delk, Mercer, and Yarbrough would have if Pitino had stayed.
Yes, Saul ... and Delk and Mercer are the only ones I can think of, too. And let's face it ... Chaz Lanier ain't Tony Delk or Ron Mercer ! ! ! All I can tell you is that I lived 40 miles north of Nashville for 55 years; went to school in Nashville for three years, and ... if I do say so ... I've been pretty familiar with UT football and basketball all my life. I have several friends in the counties surrounding Nashville, and they are all are hard-core U.T. fans. I'd say that a very large percentage of the high school kids in Nashville who go to public school during their basketball careers are heavily disposed toward U.T. But, of course, I could be wrong. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not a snowballs chance in hell. Current roster finishes no better than 4th in the SEC.

Word is it’s not looking good for UK’s chances of getting Lanier.

Pope better pray and beg Robinson to pull out of the draft and come here. Personally I don’t think he’s as good as Lanier but he’s the best option left. Missing out on all the top portal guys is going to hurt this team.
Word is not looking good on Lanier, you have no idea you are guessing like all of us are. You also have no clue this roster is 4th best, that’s just the negavite ass shit coming back

I don't believe that we were in a serious battle with Duke for Butler. With Brea, the other schools in heavy with him kinda filled in the available spots before Brea made his decision, pushing him into our laps. Remember when we were out on Brea, then the other schools on his final list landed other guys, and suddenly we were back in the running with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT