ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

Kentucky's best teams since probabtion:

1993: 30-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamal Mashburn. Four NBA players.

1996: 34-2. One NBA All-Star, Antoine Walker. Nine NBA players.

1997: 35-5. One first team All-American, Ron Mercer. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Six NBA players.

1998: 35-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Five NBA players.

2010: 35-3. Two NBA All-Stars, John Wall and Boogie Cousins. 8 NBA players.

2012: 38-2. One NBA All-Star, Anthony Davis. Six NBA players.

2015: 38-1. Two NBA All-Stars, Karl Towns and Devin Booker. Nine NBA players.

So basically none of these teams had a roster WITHOUT a future NBA All-Star. All of them also featured guys who were on the first, second, or third team All-American list (with the exception being Kentucky, which had 7 rotation players with Final Four experience - some multiple Final Fours). Each of them had rosters with multiple future first round picks (even 1998, which had FOUR).

Does anyone actually think this present UK roster is remotely close to those teams?

We're not winning a title with our roster as is. In fact, we'd be lucky to get out of the first weekend.

I'm fine with that. It's a stopgap year. But I'm not fine with some of you playing make believe and depending on some historical anomaly where this team of role players somehow burns it up this year by winning four straight tourney games to advance to the Final Four.

At present, the talent simply isn't there.
I don’t think this roster is close to those teams, talent wise. But, I could see them making a Sweet 16-Elite 8 run with what we have right now. Maybe even a FF. There is no question that adding a big time player would increase our potential exponentially. It would make us top 5-10, IMO. And, we all hope that happens. But, it’s not impossible to make deep NCAAT runs without future NBA studs.

Since 2010, 8 teams have made it to the FF without overwhelming talent, with one (UCONN) winning it all in 2014. Hell, we had a front row seat for some of them. Our uber talented 2010 team with 8 future NBA players were sent home by a WVU team with two guys who played in the NBA (Kevin Jones & Devin Ebanks) for a grand total of 95 games.

Butler was the runner-up in 2011 with Shelvin Mack as its only future NBA player. VCU also made the FF that season & their only NBA player was Troy Daniels who averaged a whopping 2ppg for that VCU team.

In 2014, Florida went to the FF with only Dorian Finney-Smith as a future pro. As I mentioned earlier, UCONN won a championship that season with only Shabazz Napier making the NBA off that team. In 2016, Oklahoma made it & Buddy Hield was their only NBA player. And, 2018 Loyola-Chicago & 2023 FAU both played in the FF with zero future NBA talent.

I’m not saying that I think that translates into our roster being FF good. Although, I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if it happened. Our roster is at least as good as most of the teams I listed. My point is that 8 teams in the last 15 tournaments have gone to a FF without having dominant talent & future NBA all-stars. It may not be as likely, but, it’s absolutely possible that we can get to the FF without any NBA all-stars.

Some think there is this magical pot of gold out there and we can just buy every kid we want. It doesn’t work that way.

Even Cal, the best recruiter on paper we have probably ever had could not do that and when he did get highly ranked recruits they rarely fit together. As we saw the last 4 years in particular, he could not hide their weaknesses or exploit their strengths either.

NIL and transfer portal have completely changed everything. What worked even 4 years ago isn’t going to work now.
Cal had the players, he just can’t coach in this era. Robic was obviously a huge part of his success.

Last edited:
Didn't say we didn't need "good" players, said we didn't need the very top studs. We actually have several good players on this roster. Cal has literally brainwashed people over the years to believe if you don't have 3 or 4 of the top 10 guys you can't win. UK has what,46 players in the league and one title to show for it. Let's try something different.
Bingo...
The sooner people get Crapaparis style of recruiting out of their heads, the better off they will be.
Mark Pope is NOT going to have a roster full of freshmen.
Mark Pope has stated time and again, he recruits players that fit his style of play....he doesn't recruit a number by a name.
It's a new era for UK, the old way is gone thank God.

Tennesse people are saying his family wants Tennesse and so does Lanier and that’s what wins out
If he wanted UT so bad and as this lock why even take other visits? He may end up there but usually if that’s what wins he would have just announced for them right after his draft was done. I guess maybe to drive up his price but apparently UT doesn’t do bidding wars so I’d choose a random school like Washington.

I am convinced of one thing. Nobody really knows anything.
Well I do know one thing. We have lost a coach who was one of the worst x and o coaches and in game adjuster , but gained a coach regarded as a brilliant basketball x and o coach and in game adjuster. Beyond that I don't KNOW much, but do have guesses.

Last edited:
If he wanted UT so bad and as this lock why even take other visits? He may end up there but usually if that’s what wins he would have just announced for them right after his draft was done. I guess maybe to drive up his price but apparently UT doesn’t do bidding wars so I’d choose a random school like Washington.
Idk there are a bunch of people throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Just going off vibes it feels like Tennessee now, but I will admit I know absolutely nothing

Reactions: Fox2monk
Idk there are a bunch of people throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Just going off vibes it feels like Tennessee now, but I will admit I know absolutely nothing

The only reason it feels like that is because he visited there last. If he was at UK right now most would still feel confident. This is typical in recruiting where nobody wants a player to visit the rival team last.

I don’t believe Tennessee can or will outbid Kentucky if Kentucky wants the player, not in basketball. Having said that we don’t know how bad Pope wants him so who knows.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The only reason it feels like that is because he visited there last. If he was at UK right now most would still feel confident. This is typical in recruiting where nobody wants a player to visit the rival team last.

I don’t believe Tennessee can or will outbid Kentucky if Kentucky wants the player, not in basketball. Having said that we don’t know how bad Pope wants him so who knows.
I just going based on the sleepers media guys saying it’s Tennessee, I like them and they don’t say stuff unless they feel good about it

Reactions: Killswitch24

Hopefully Pope will put somewhat of a stop to kids using UK as leverage to get big deals elsewhere. Gonna be tough to do, though. College sports recruiting isn't worth tracking anymore unless you like the chaos.

Last edited:
So basically. No concerns will be tolerated. Because Pope played here 30 years ago, when I was in college, and had hair on my head. And that makes me feel fuzzy. When did this board turn into groupthink central?
Lord of the Rafters

I just going based on the sleepers media guys saying it’s Tennessee, I like them and they don’t say stuff unless they feel good about it
Have they ever been ahead of the pack on any predictions? I'm honestly ignorant to their batting average in the realm of predictions.

I like their videos, but they just seem like a couple of guys shooting videos from their mom's basement.

Edit: I just watched their video, and their Tennessee prediction seemed like the least confident thing I've heard all week. It was based on absolutely nothing they've heard lately and all of it was based on gut instinct.

And that's the "source" that's making you nervous right now?

You might as well cite Kybassfan or JFCats as your source.

Last edited:
Could be Robinson is waiting on Lanier's decision. If it's UT, ka-ching!!!
I'm not sure that he's waiting on it (may just be getting more comfortable with the NBA decision), but Pilgrim just pretty much implied that if Lanier picks UT, Robinson is more than likely withdrawing from the draft and coming to UK.

Reactions: ukfan041
Maybe it is a money thing. Maybe, without Lanier, Robinson feels he can leverage more money from UK. Thus, it makes financial sense for him to wait. If I am negotiating for him, that is the position I want to be in.

Do you always bitch? I bet people duck and cover when they see you coming.

The man has been on the job for 1 month. None of the team from last year stayed. The portal had already opened when he was hired and 95% of the freshmen class was signed, sealed and delivered. He had to hire all his assistant and recruit a cohesive unit that want to be here for more than just money. Finally, it isn’t just about the name anymore. You can’t just go tell a kid you are from Ky and get their name on the dotted line. There is this little thing called NIL. Other big schools have leveraged NIL and driven up the price for portal players($2 million for Osobor is ridiculous). I think there was a conscious decision not to poison the water for next years recruits(HS and Portal) by over biding this year.

So, give the man the courtesy of at least playing a season so we can see what is going to work for him, before you freak out.
Who's freaking out and who's bitching? I said I'm completely fine with a stopgap season in my post. I noticed you didn't address my actual point.

I just think it's silly to try to make a case for this current roster being good enough to make a deep run in the tourney. Could they? Sure. But not because such a run would be considered probable. Add another piece or two, and things can change.

Have they ever been ahead of the pack on any predictions? I'm honestly ignorant to their batting average in the realm of predictions.

I like their videos, but they just seem like a couple of guys shooting videos from their mom's basement.

Edit: I just watched their video, and their Tennessee prediction seemed like the least confident thing I've heard all week. It was based on absolutely nothing they've heard lately and all of it was based on gut instinct.

And that's the "source" that's making you nervous right now?

You might as well cite Kybassfan or JFCats as your source.
The YouTube video isn’t the video I’m referring to it’s a discord thing they did, but the YouTube video is just them dicking around. The discord stuff is what I am referring to

The YouTube video isn’t the video I’m referring to it’s a discord thing they did, but the YouTube video is just them dicking around. The discord stuff is what I am referring to
Well the Youtube video is from 5 hours ago. So are we to believe that in five hours they went from dicking around to suddenly knowing where Chaz is heading?

What did they hear in that amount of time, and from whom did they hear it?

Well the Youtube video is from 5 hours ago. So are we to believe that in five hours they went from dicking around to suddenly knowing where Chaz is heading?

What did they hear in that amount of time, and from whom did they hear it?
They were talking about agent connects and stuff like that, I watched the YouTube video again and yeah that’s bad, but the discord stuff they are serious. But honestly I feel like we get a answer Wednesday or Thursday

But what, then, when the mockingbird vigilantly guards the tree?
Fiwl
Kentucky's best teams since probabtion:

1993: 30-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamal Mashburn. Four NBA players.

1996: 34-2. One NBA All-Star, Antoine Walker. Nine NBA players.

1997: 35-5. One first team All-American, Ron Mercer. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Six NBA players.

1998: 35-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Five NBA players.

2010: 35-3. Two NBA All-Stars, John Wall and Boogie Cousins. 8 NBA players.

2012: 38-2. One NBA All-Star, Anthony Davis. Six NBA players.

2015: 38-1. Two NBA All-Stars, Karl Towns and Devin Booker. Nine NBA players.

So basically none of these teams had a roster WITHOUT a future NBA All-Star. All of them also featured guys who were on the first, second, or third team All-American list (with the exception being Kentucky, which had 7 rotation players with Final Four experience - some multiple Final Fours). Each of them had rosters with multiple future first round picks (even 1998, which had FOUR).

Does anyone actually think this present UK roster is remotely close to those teams?

We're not winning a title with our roster as is. In fact, we'd be lucky to get out of the first weekend.

I'm fine with that. It's a stopgap year. But I'm not fine with some of you playing make believe and depending on some historical anomaly where this team of role players somehow burns it up this year by winning four straight tourney games to advance to the Final Four.

At present, the talent simply isn't there.
Somewhere over the rainbow.

Who's freaking out and who's bitching? I said I'm completely fine with a stopgap season in my post. I noticed you didn't address my actual point.

I just think it's silly to try to make a case for this current roster being good enough to make a deep run in the tourney. Could they? Sure. But not because such a run would be considered probable. Add another piece or two, and things can change.
It's an emotional thing.
Personality usually dictates ones emotion's

He’s been here less than 2 months …what you expect him to do?? Get every single recruit he’s after. Like i said be reasonable and use logic. It’s not his 5th year at UK. Good lord.
We should at least expect Pope and company to bat better than .000% with top-end recruits, in the portal and out of highschool. Kentucky and it's fans should never temper expectations.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
Bunch of UT people saying Lanier will be announcing for UT in the next day or two.

Pope better pray like crazy that Robinson pulls out of NBA draft
If Lanier pulls the trigger for UT then so be it. We made our pitch and offer to him and that's all we can do.
If Robinson decides not to come to UK then so be it as well. Our roster is fine as is, sure we could use either one and both would be a luxury.
Pope will fill the roster, I'm not worried about Lanier or Robinson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT