ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

2019 Virginia and 2020 Baylor each only have 1
VA had a top 5 pick and another first rounder.

Baylor in the bubble still had a top 10 and the 40th pick.

That’s two on each team so what are you talking about? And both teams had a top 10 pick. We have nothing like that.

Kentucky's best teams since probabtion:

1993: 30-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamal Mashburn. Four NBA players.

1996: 34-2. One NBA All-Star, Antoine Walker. Nine NBA players.

1997: 35-5. One first team All-American, Ron Mercer. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Six NBA players.

1998: 35-4. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Five NBA players.

2010: 35-3. Two NBA All-Stars, John Wall and Boogie Cousins. 8 NBA players.

2012: 38-2. One NBA All-Star, Anthony Davis. Six NBA players.

2015: 38-1. Two NBA All-Stars, Karl Towns and Devin Booker. Nine NBA players.

So basically none of these teams had a roster WITHOUT a future NBA All-Star. All of them also featured guys who were on the first, second, or third team All-American list (with the exception being Kentucky, which had 7 rotation players with Final Four experience - some multiple Final Fours). Each of them had rosters with multiple future first round picks (even 1998, which had FOUR).

Does anyone actually think this present UK roster is remotely close to those teams?

We're not winning a title with our roster as is. In fact, we'd be lucky to get out of the first weekend.

I'm fine with that. It's a stopgap year. But I'm not fine with some of you playing make believe and depending on some historical anomaly where this team of role players somehow burns it up this year by winning four straight tourney games to advance to the Final Four.

At present, the talent simply isn't there.

Last edited:

That’s two on each team so what are you talking about? And both teams had a top 10 pick. We have nothing like that.
2013 Lil bro had 1 nba draft guy.

And how do you know we don’t have nothing like that …we haven’t played a single game.

Reactions: ukypug

1997: 35-5. One first team All-American, Ron Mercer. One NBA All-Star, Jamaal Magloire. Six NBA players.

So basically none of these teams had a roster WITHOUT a future NBA All-Star. All of them also featured guys who were on the first, second, or third team All-American list. Each of them had rosters with multiple future first round picks (even 1998, which had FOUR).

Does anyone actually think this present UK roster is remotely close to those teams?

We're not winning a title with our roster as is. In fact, we'd be lucky to get out of the first weekend.
We have a roster full of role players. No surefire stars. Just hope we make the tournament this year and hold onto the all time wins lead. And do serious damage next year.

We have a roster full of role players. No surefire stars. Just hope we make the tournament this year and hold onto the all time wins lead. And do serious damage next year.
You have no idea about next years team. You are simply guessing.

Who was Chaz before last year ? Dude avg 5 pts a game. Or how Jaxson before last year? Dude avg 7 pts a game.

Neither lanier or robinson are the "alpha guys" that some of our fans covet. Yes, either one would bolster the existing squad. Neither are good Defenders, with both having points allowed per one hundred possessions below average. Neither are in the first round for draft picks. And there's a reason for that. Do I want one of them to join us? Yes, but set your bar down a little bit lower if you think they are a savior.

Who was Chaz before last year ? Dude avg 5 pts a game. Or how Jaxson before last year? Dude avg 7 pts a game.
You act like we haven't seen these guys play or something. It's not like we're getting a whole team of HS seniors. I don't think the 3 freshmen will be go to scorers either. Just not ready IMO. Chandler will be rusty and Noah and Perry aren't one and done talents. They'll be great bench players 2-3 years down the road.

Pretty much every elite team in Kentucky history had a roster that the fan base was pretty certain about before the season: 1978, 1984, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017.

Can you think of any exceptions to that general rule? I can't. The only ones I can possibly think of were those Tubby teams in 2003 and 2004 that massively underachieved in the tournament anyway.

You act like we haven't seen these guys play or something. It's not like we're getting a whole team of HS seniors. I don't think the 3 freshmen will be go to scorers either.
Ok so you gonna ignore the fact that Chaz and Jaxson wasn’t shit before last szn…players get better each szn.

So that can’t happen with any of these guys we have??

Reactions: Fox2monk
Ok so you gonna ignore the fact that Chaz and Jaxson wasn’t shit before last szn…players get better each szn.

Sure, but some of these guys are seniors. What you see is what you get. Expecting a rare explosion like from Robinson and Chaz isn't a winning formula. If you want to say Lamont Butler will suddenly average 15PPG and 6APG because he's at UK go ahead. Or any of the other non-senior transfers. I'm not buying it.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

Waste of your time- plays both sides so he can always reference being right. HUGE UK fan when we win, one of the guys!! ..........but if we fail he has it set up so he can say he told you so. Phoney and flimsy. Avoid.

Reactions: BassProCat

So basically none of these teams had a roster WITHOUT a future NBA All-Star. All of them also featured guys who were on the first, second, or third team All-American list. Each of them had rosters with multiple future first round picks (even 1998, which had FOUR).

Do you always bitch? I bet people duck and cover when they see you coming.

The man has been on the job for 1 month. None of the team from last year stayed. The portal had already opened when he was hired and 95% of the freshmen class was signed, sealed and delivered. He had to hire all his assistant and recruit a cohesive unit that want to be here for more than just money. Finally, it isn’t just about the name anymore. You can’t just go tell a kid you are from Ky and get their name on the dotted line. There is this little thing called NIL. Other big schools have leveraged NIL and driven up the price for portal players($2 million for Osobor is ridiculous). I think there was a conscious decision not to poison the water for next years recruits(HS and Portal) by over biding this year.

So, give the man the courtesy of at least playing a season so we can see what is going to work for him, before you freak out.

Sure, but some of these guys are seniors. What you see is what you get. Expecting a rare explosion like from Robinson and Chaz isn't a winning formula. If you want to say Lamont Butler will suddenly average 15PPG and 6APG because he's at UK go ahead. Or any of the other non-senior transfers. I'm not buying it.
You picked the worst offensive player on the roster 😂😂

I’ll take my chances with Brea or Carr having more production than they did last year.

Pretty much every elite team in Kentucky history had a roster that the fan base was pretty certain about before the season: 1978, 1984, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2017.

Can you think of any exceptions to that general rule? I can't. The only ones I can possibly think of were those Tubby teams in 2003 and 2004 that massively underachieved in the tournament anyway.
Not disagreeing with your general sentiment, but this also the only UK team in history to lose every single player and yet still have 6 seniors. Downright paradoxical.

Just not really sure we know much of anything about this team because the circumstance is so unique. It will be interesting to watch unfold but I agree this year is a stopgap year in my mind and I’ll enjoy the breath of fresh air.

I’m also confident that Pope will be able to recruit elite players here once he has a full recruiting year and puts an exciting product on the floor in year one.

Not disagreeing with your general sentiment, but this also the only UK team in history to lose every single player and yet still have 6 seniors. Downright paradoxical.

Just not really sure we know much of anything about this team because the circumstance is so unique. It will be interesting to watch unfold but I agree this year is a stopgap year in my mind and I’ll enjoy the breath of fresh air.

I’m also confident that Pope will be able to recruit elite players here once he has a full recruiting year and puts an exciting product on the floor in year one.
Bingo

Waste of your time- plays both sides so he can always reference being right. HUGE UK fan when we win, one of the guys!! ..........but if we fail he has it set up so he can say he told you so. Phoney and flimsy. Avoid.
Kinda like you rode Cal until he left. Then had a change of heart overnight and suddenly started parroting talking points made on this board for years? Hey is Cal still gonna make K and Roy watch as he own's CBB?
He wouldn't wait 10 years. Cal's going to force K and Roy watch him command the stage from their wheelchairs.

Do you always bitch? I bet people duck and cover when they see you coming.

The man has been on the job for 1 month. None of the team from last year stayed. The portal had already opened when he was hired and 95% of the freshmen class was signed, sealed and delivered. He had to hire all his assistant and recruit a cohesive unit that want to be here for more than just money. Finally, it isn’t just about the name anymore. You can’t just go tell a kid you are from Ky and get their name on the dotted line. There is this little thing called NIL. Other big schools have leveraged NIL and driven up the price for portal players($2 million for Osobor is ridiculous). I think there was a conscious decision not to poison the water for next years recruits(HS and Portal) by over biding this year.

So, give the man the courtesy of at least playing a season so we can see what is going to work for him, before you freak out.
We are seeing that it wasn't just about Calipari with some. They literally are unhappy no matter what is going on. Waste of time. Total waste of time as some use these boards to bring others to their level. Don't let them.

Reactions: KT34 and NerlensCat
So are we to assume all of these guys who hear stuff have connections with literally every recruit?

I'm not buying it.

People are just guessing and playing the most logical angle - which is that the kid is from Tennessee; and that Tennessee led from the beginning (which they did); and that he's visiting them last.

Sleeper's Media doesn't know jack anymore than you or me. They're merely deducing an outcome, which is the same one I would have picked the second Chaz left Lexington without committing.

It doesn't mean Chaz is UT bound; it just means it's the most probable scenario.
True, these guys are the new young media source in college basketball they have a YouTube channel and they do have sources. Not saying they are correct but they both said Tennessee and the talked about how it would problematic for byu to beat pope for a player(don’t agree with that part). But the vibes just seem to have changed today and it feels like Tennessee is the team now.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan

Hunter was Virginia, Virginia other 2 guys in Ty Jerome and Kyle guy are normal college guys not insane talent. Baylor’s top 10 pick is a defensive guy. UConn had 2 second round picks and a good shooter lead them. The point is you can win without insane talent. Coaching is far more important than getting the burger boys.

Reactions: BassProCat
We are seeing that it wasn't just about Calipari with some. They literally are unhappy no matter what is going on. Waste of time. Total waste of time as some use these boards to bring others to their level. Don't let them.
Some think there is this magical pot of gold out there and we can just buy every kid we want. It doesn’t work that way.

Even Cal, the best recruiter on paper we have probably ever had could not do that and when he did get highly ranked recruits they rarely fit together. As we saw the last 4 years in particular, he could not hide their weaknesses or exploit their strengths either.

NIL and transfer portal have completely changed everything. What worked even 4 years ago isn’t going to work now.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Meh, way too many hoping Lanier is going to be the next Knecht. I can’t force myself to get excited over a North Florida player that was a non-factor in that low level program for 3 full seasons, and then puts together one decent season against ASUN competition. The Kenny Battles/Dalton Knechts of the world are rarities. They come along only every once in a great while, and there are obvious reasons why. I won’t lose a second of sleep if Lanier ends up elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
I still think it's funny people wanna get pissed off. Because some think we should have at-least one go to scorer who you can go to in crunch time. I guess some people get pissed off when you're real because it's not what they like to hear. It doesn't match the fantasty in their head.

Hunter was Virginia, Virginia other 2 guys in Ty Jerome and Kyle guy are normal college guys not insane talent. Baylor’s top 10 pick is a defensive guy. UConn had 2 second round picks and a good shooter lead them. The point is you can win without insane talent. Coaching is far more important than getting the burger boys.
Are you talking about last season's Uconn?They are expected to have 2 go first round.

I still think it's funny people wanna get pissed off. Because some think we should have at-least one go to scorer who you can go to in crunch time. I guess some people get pissed off when you're real because it's not what they like to hear. It doesn't match the fantasty in their head.
Pissed off? Cuz someone disagrees with your take. It’s message board bro. Ppl are here to debate.

A team can have all of the talent in the world and still fail and 💩💩 the bed!!! A PERFECT example of this was this past UK season!

Come June 26th, two players from this roster are mocked to be picked in the TOP-10, another is mocked in the late 1st round, and a fourth is mocked to be picked on day-2!!!!

The TWO most talented players from last year (per the NBA) were not even considered in the top four players for UK's 2023/24 roster, preseason outlook!! And the "local" boy was looked at as a multi-year player before the season started. But both of these will probably have salaries in the fall North of $5,000,000 per year.

AND, this WEALTH of UK talent from last year got choked out of the NCAA tournament in Round-1 by a 24-year old Division-2 Accountant!!!!

Lazy or clueless coaching staffs HAVE TO rely on elite talent to make-up for their weaknesses. Better coaching staffs will STOP using what DOESN'T work when their teams are struggling and will look for/ try something else to accomplish the "assignment."

EVERY coaching staff and fan wants elite talent on their team, it is supposed to make the team struggles less frequent, the coaching staffs jobs easier and give the fans a more hopeful outlook for the season!!

How many players off of the 2023/24 UK team MAY play in the NBA when their college careers are over, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8???? Playing in the NBA in the future does not equate to how good you were in the past!!!

I don't care for this saying, but "It Is What It Is" and there's nothing any of us can do about who is on the 2024/25 UK roster except come to the Kentucky message boards multiple times per day.

Go Big Blue!!
Something to lighten the mood 🤣🤣🤣
love-sex.gif

Last edited:
Are you talking about last season's Uconn?They are expected to have 2 go first round.
I’m talking about 2023 UConn. And clignan and castle aren’t out this world talents the draft so just so shit they are going higher than they would in a normal draft. Castle got 11 points a game, clignan is good defensively but his offensive game need work. The point is you don’t need the cream of the crop talent to win, Hurley proves a good system and good players, not burger boys all over the place, but good players and maybe one burger guy like castle can win titles

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT