ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
“UK sources said the visit went well - as they always do. One source said they're concerned about the draw to home and UT having the last pitch. They didn't get a great feel for a timeline from him - said he seemed torn on the decision.“

Them: “We NeEd A sTuD”

Me: We have the most efficient player from this past season.

Them: “If He WaS aNy GoOd WhY iSnT hE oN mOcK dRaFtS?”

Me: 🤦🏻‍♂️

You can’t make Calipari era fans understand, you don’t need an Anthony Davis type of star to win a title.

I think he is ultimately torn between us and UT.
I don't like that they get last visit and that might be all he needs to be persuaded to join the Vols but who knows.
Regardless, we still can hope Robinson decides to come and leave the draft but that also is no guarantee.
Pope will fill the roster with or without Lanier and Robinson but either one would be nice to get

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think he is ultimately torn between us and UT.
I don't like that they get last visit and that might be all he needs to be persuaded to join the Vols but who knows.
Regardless, we still can hope Robinson decides to come and leave the draft but that also is no guarantee.
Pope will fill the roster with or without Lanier and Robinson but either one would be nice to get
Agree, he will get somebody to fill that scorer role.

Reactions: ImTheVillageIdiot
Yeah, there is still plenty of talent in the portal to fill the last 2 spots on the roster if we miss on Lanier and Robinson. I think we might get 1 but not both. I'm not expecting a reclass player but stranger things have happened.
Here’s the thing about Lanier if your Kentucky you don’t want to put out overly positive vibes because it would scare Tennessee and they may panic and offer him something he can’t refuse. And with Tennessee they will be cocky and run their mouths no matter what. I’m not worried about Lanier yet. If something comes out tomorrow or later today to say he is Tennessees then I will

Last edited:

You can’t make Calipari era fans understand, you don’t need an Anthony Davis type of star to win a title.
It's the most effecient shooter, not player. He does nothing besides shoot 3's. And that will be a great skill to have on this team, so it's not a knock. However, we have no one on this team that is a proven alpha type player.

You blew that straw man down! Way to go.

Something I’ve wondered is, how do schools really know what another school offers in NIL other than the recruits/ agents own words? Are schools actually putting their offers in writing for the recruits to shop openly during other visits?

Please tell me this isn’t the case 😂

It's the most effecient shooter, not player. He does nothing besides shoot 3's. And that will be a great skill to have on this team, so it's not a knock. However, we have no one on this team that is a proven alpha type player.

Me: Ok, we have a final four caliber point guard that hit one of the biggest shots in the last decade to send his team to the championship. He also led his team to a sweet 16 the very next year, at SDSU.

Them: “nO nOt HiM, hE iSnT a AlPhA.”

Me: Ok, we just signed Prime Michael Jordan.

Them: “He CaNt WiN wItHoUt PiPpEn.”

Me: Ok I’m done!

Me: Ok, we have a final four caliber point guard that hit one of the biggest shots in the last decade to send his team to the championship. He also led his team to a sweet 16 the very next year, at SDSU.

Them: “nO nOt HiM, hE iSnT a AlPhA.”

Me: Ok, we just signed Prime Michael Jordan.

Them: “He CaNt WiN wItHoUt PiPpEn.”

Me: Ok I’m done!
What a stupid post.

I mean I want Lanier but at the same time there’s a reason Jaxson is on draft boards and Lanier isn’t. If we miss on Lanier then Pope needs to do everything he can to land JRob
Jaxson is ours if he returns but that’s a big if. Deadline to leave draft is June 16 so not much time and we should know in the next 2 weeks or so I’d say many will start making decisions.

Last edited:
In terms of the individual player, Lanier played at a small school and was "the man." It is always a challenge to see how that translates to a full team of talented players in a physical league. He is ranked number 11 of portal players so would predictably be a great get but again with unknown expectations in a program like Kentucky or even Tenn.

Where I find it more important is whether Kentucky is more desirable to players now than Tenn. Does this or anyone selecting Kentucky respect whom Kentucky is as a top of the mountain college basketball icon? It may take a successful year or two under Pope to recreate that amongst the younger crowd or do they recognize all that is being accomplished in just a month with the hire?

Is it now ? if that is the case, how did he manage to make 3.4 2FG's per game and 3.3 3FG's per game ?? I mean if ALL he did was shoot 3's wouldn't he have to make more 3's than 2's per game ? Me thinks you don't have a damn clue about Lanier's game and you are just throwing shit on the wall hoping nobody calls you out on it. IF you actually knew his game, you would know he is NOT just a 3 point shooter. Same with Reeves, he can score in all three levels.

I don’t think there is much information about his decision being released. Just have to wait and see. We made our pitch and he’s been a priority all along.
There isn’t, Tennessee media people will start acting cocky because that’s what Tennessee does but Lanier seems to be quiet and keeps things close to his circle.

Is it now ? if that is the case, how did he manage to make 3.4 2FG's per game and 3.3 3FG's per game ?? I mean if ALL he did was shoot 3's wouldn't he have to make more 3's than 2's per game ? Me thinks you don't have a damn clue about Lanier's game and you are just throwing shit on the wall hoping nobody calls you out on it. IF you actually knew his game, you would know he is NOT just a 3 point shooter. Same with Reeves, he can score in all three levels.
Umm, I'm talking about Brea. 🤣

I always crack up at so many fans hyperventilating over recruits.

Especially after what we’ve been through the last decade. #1 or #2 class every year, a portal guy who became NPOY, another portal guy who averaged 20ppg… zero final fours.

People are so conditioned to having to get the absolute cream of the crop in order to have any hope of overcoming Cal’s horrid coaching. And as we’ve seen, that STILL didn’t work.

This staff is working their ass off to compile a roster that fits together. They will also work their ass off to coach these kids. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the renaissance of our program.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here but I’m very comfortable with what we have. Sure, Lanier or Robinson would be the cherry on top, but it’s not a deal breaker.

Heck, I’m used to losing 10 games with 5 star super recruits and losing in the first round. Maybe I’m very naive, but I think we can do better than that with Popes play style & game planning. I like our depth.

Something I’ve wondered is, how do schools really know what another school offers in NIL other than the recruits/ agents own words? Are schools actually putting their offers in writing for the recruits to shop openly during other visits?

Please tell me this isn’t the case 😂
Something is being put on paper especially after lawsuit on Florida today. After this exaggeration of NIL knowingly going on, I'm sure UK is being smart.

Go Cats!

“UK sources said the visit went well - as they always do. One source said they're concerned about the draw to home and UT having the last pitch. They didn't get a great feel for a timeline from him - said he seemed torn on the decision.“
I thought "Trilly" said UK Staff does a great job of keeping things quiet and nothing comes from them. So now they want to talk? Interesting....just odd and interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT