ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon Duval to Duke per ESPN.

Jesus - Duval went on and on about his announcement was going to be something hype that no one had ever done before, and it turns out to be a cheesy freaking cartoon.

How much did his Dad or UA or whoever pay for this foolishness? How about just announcing via Twitter for free and rocking the world like Knox did?

Looks like a Micheal smith "by the numbers" piece. Only that was horrible to watch.

Jesus - Duval went on and on about his announcement was going to be something hype that no one had ever done before, and it turns out to be a cheesy freaking cartoon.

How much did his Dad or UA or whoever pay for this foolishness? How about just announcing via Twitter for free and rocking the world like Knox did?

When/where did Duval go on and on about his announcement?

Reactions: JFCats22
Dirty ESPN just ran a subtitle that stated: With the Duval pick, Duke broke the tie with UK, this gives the blue devils the most top 5 ESPN 100 recruits dating back to 2007.

Remember everything is okay so long as you control the narrative.

Dirty ESPN just ran a subtitle that stated: With the Duval pick, Duke broke the tie with UK, this gives the blue devils the most top 5 ESPN 100 recruits dating back to 2007.

You just know they've been waiting to fire that missive. Our guys are ALWAYS lower on ESPN's rankings. Bledsoe not being on their Top 100 is all the proof you need.

When/where did Duval go on and on about his announcement?

In multiple interviews over the last few weeks as he drug this recruitment out even though everyone knew he was going to Duke. Supposedly his Dad was working on the details and it was going to be some big deal.

When he made the secret visit to Duke that he later denied, people speculated he'd filmed scenes on the campus that would be used in the video. Then last week, he announced that he'd "soon be announcing" his announcement date. That got some backlash.

After all that buildup, they roll out this cartoon early on a Monday morning. I think they must have decided that if they put it out unannounced like this, it would blow people's minds and generate buzz. Didn't happen.

In multiple interviews over the last few weeks as he drug this recruitment out even though everyone knew he was going to Duke. Supposedly his Dad was working on the details and it was going to be some big deal.

When he made the secret visit to Duke that he later denied, people speculated he'd filmed scenes on the campus that would be used in the video. Then last week, he announced that he'd "soon be announcing" his announcement date. That got some backlash.

After all that buildup, they roll out this cartoon early on a Monday morning. I think they must have decided that if they put it out unannounced like this, it would blow people's minds and generate buzz. Didn't happen.

Yea he never hyped it up like you implied.

and only 2 titles?! WHOA!

and only 2 titles?! WHOA!

That is pretty hilarious they decided that was the stat to throw up. Let's see what they do when we get Bamba.

Duval is not the top PG in this class IMO. Sexton is the best. As far as Duke goes, they're a top 20 team at best. Defensively, they'll be horrible again. Not to mention, they'll be very thin. They'll squeak into the tournament.

I like Sexton as well.

Rivals and ESPN have Duval ranked a tad above Sexton so not much disparity.

But Bamba seemed to think he was the best, he may not have played much with Sexton.

Regardless, fans shouldn't doubt the kid's ability, he can play.

I'm shocked he can get in Duke even with athlete standards.

Duke is easily Top 10 preseason on paper. Same reason we are every year.

Again, not sure how well Tripper will play with these guys.

I dont see any depth.

Trent Jr will be interesting to watch as well with Allen. Trent is a gunner/ball stopper, Duval needs the ball as does Allen.

Carter is a good player and Bolden will become the garbage man with less of a motor than Plumlee or Richardson.

About their bench, the only way guys like O'Connell and Tucker see anything more than, say 6 mins a game, is if K views the season as a bridge or rebuilding year.

Reactions: brianpoe
He is a huge get, but they still have a huge problem. K isn't very good with freshmen.

I hate Duke as much as the next guy but I've never really understood why people say this. He won a national championship with 4 major freshman contributors. It's like saying Cal sucks with freshman because of 2013. People use Bolden as a reason but SKJ didn't do very well last year either.

Too many ball-demanding players. It will be the same thing as this past year. A guy like Jefferson will be hard to replace.

They gain Duval, Carter, Trent.. but lose Giles, Tatum, Kennard, Jackson, Jeter, Jefferson, and Jones..

The math doesn't add up, and it's far too young for a guy like K. They'll win a good chunk of their OOC but the ACC will eat them alive if that conference continues at last years pace. I think you're looking at 10+ losses.

I hate Duke as much as the next guy but I've never really understood why people say this. He won a national championship with 4 major freshman contributors. It's like saying Cal sucks with freshman because of 2013. People use Bolden as a reason but SKJ didn't do very well last year either.

People that believe it approach it from the viewpoint that 2015 was an outlier. Imo it's tough to call a championship an outlier.

Cal is better at going deeper with younger teams, but K has been better at finishing the job once he's there. How long has it been since Duke lost in the final four?

Championships are not all that matter, but when you have multiple championships inside of the OAD era, it's a touch sell to make that he's underachieved with the era itself.

The next 3 years are going to be the story here. If Duke has flameouts and ends on a lesser note, we can say 2015 was an outlier. If they make some final fours or God forbid win another, it won't fly.

As for who's better between Cal and K at the OAD thing, Cal definitely gets that nod. But it's not hurting Duke at all, and they've got the hardware right now.

I don't use Bolden as an example, I use the body of work. They did win it in 15, but they were grossly inferior to UK that year too. You make it sound like Duke was a juggernaut that year, they were not. K takes a backseat to Cal every year in developing freshmen into a top caliber team. That's why I say it.

People that believe it approach it from the viewpoint that 2015 was an outlier. Imo it's tough to call a championship an outlier.

Cal is better at going deeper with younger teams, but K has been better at finishing the job once he's there. How long has it been since Duke lost in the final four?

Championships are not all that matter, but when you have multiple championships inside of the OAD era, it's a touch sell to make that he's underachieved with the era itself.

The next 3 years are going to be the story here. If Duke has flameouts and ends on a lesser note, we can say 2015 was an outlier. If they make some final fours or God forbid win another, it won't fly.

As for who's better between Cal and K at the OAD thing, Cal definitely gets that nod. But it's not hurting Duke at all, and they've got the hardware right now.
One note of disagreement. Duke does not have multiple titles with OAD's. The 2010 team was as traditional as it gets.

They did win it in 15, but they were grossly inferior to UK that year too.

that doesn't seem correct....they actually made it to the finals, and beat the team that beat UK.....it's all conjecture to say that duke was inferior, but the end result suggests otherwise...

as far as prognostication about the upcoming season, uk and duke have proven that hot recruits and pre-season hype don't guarantee any hardware...

that doesn't seem correct....they actually made it to the finals, and beat the team that beat UK.....it's all conjecture to say that duke was inferior, but the end result suggests otherwise...
It isn't conjecture at all. The best team often doesn't win.

I don't use Bolden as an example, I use the body of work. They did win it in 15, but they were grossly inferior to UK that year too. You make it sound like Duke was a juggernaut that year, they were not. K takes a backseat to Cal every year in developing freshmen into a top caliber team. That's why I say it.

What? First off, How did I make them sound like a juggernaut? Please explain that to me. By saying they had 4 freshman contributors? Is that making them sound like a juggernaut? Cause that's the only thing I said about them.

Second, Who made this a comparison between Cal and Coach K? Because I didn't at all. I never said that Cal wasn't better with freshman cause that would be.....well, pretty damn dumb to say. It's obvious that Cal is the best in the business and there isn't a close second. I never said anything against that fact.

You're completely turning my comment into something it's not because I never said ANYTHING that you listed in your reply.

Lastly, what does the fact that the 2015 Duke team was inferior to UK have to do with anything? That doesn't change the fact that they won the title with freshman.

My point was that it's hard to say that a coach is bad with freshman when said coach won a title with 4 major contributors being freshman. Every coach has certain players that just don't live up to the hype for whatever reason, even Cal but it doesn't mean that they're not good coaches. Like I said, I hate Duke just as much as anyone but I can give credit when credit is due. He's had some failures but he's had some successful players as well but saying he's horrible with freshman is just not accurate. Definitely not the best, but definitely not horrible either. That's all.

The Deebo quote came from Winslow I believe. Who is one of Allens best friends and took him to the ESPYs with him last year.

Winslow is best friends with Grayson Allen? Why am I not surprised?

giphy.gif

They are a Top 10 team.
No they're not [laughing]. Based on what? Recruiting rankings? They're young, lack depth, have a head-case, and will be horribly defensively. Don't buy the hype.

Btw, I have no idea what UK will be ranked, but I'm betting it will probably be too high.

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, trippers gotta stick together.

And don't forget Henderson giving Hansbrorough the People's elbow, and of course Laettner's stomp. How does K retain his reputation of being a class act?

Yes, freshmen play and develop better at UK.

Also, that Duke team played okay defense and Winslow was a big reason for their success. They have no one like that on their roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT