ADVERTISEMENT

Trevon Duval to Duke per ESPN.

If this would have gone any other way Duke would have been in a world of hurt.

He is huge for them. They now have a very good starting five, depth may be an issue but they are probably a top 15 team at least now.

If this would have gone any other way Duke would have been in a world of hurt.

He is huge for them. They now have a very good starting five, depth may be an issue but they are probably a top 15 team at least now.
Unless they get Bamba, I doubt they are a top 25 team. They won't have the talented depth to sharpen their skills in competitive practice.

Unless they get Bamba, I doubt they are a top 25 team. They won't have the talented depth to sharpen their skills in competitive practice.

That's silly. Not too 25? Come on, would be awesome but it's not being realistic.

They have two of the top 7 incoming players.

Allen
Duval
Trent
Carter

That's as good a group of 4 as just about anybody. Throw in what has to be an improved Bolden, the Tucker kid they got and they are definitely top 25.

Still see no way this kid is eligible to play
Honestly, we don't really know his academic status. All we really know is that he did a US tour in HS, jumping around all over the country, and spent time at a school that lost its accreditation. All of which generates a lot of rumors.

One thing this does prove, though, is how completely full of sh** anyone who tries to claim Duke has higher standards for basketball players really is. That's one of the things about their PR machine that's always ticked me off. Yeah, I'm sure they've had more than their fair share of legit students on the basketball team, which is only natural, because they're exactly the type of school that's going to appeal to the small subset of elite recruits who come from an upper middle class background where college was always going to be in the player's future, regardless of sports. But they've also ALWAYS cut corners on that to stay nationally competitive, and now they're cutting even more. They play on the same field as everyone else, and anyone who claims differently is blind to reality.

That's silly. Not too 25? Come on, would be awesome but it's not being realistic.

They have two of the top 7 incoming players.

Allen
Duval
Trent
Carter

That's as good a group of 4 as just about anybody. Throw in what has to be an improved Bolden, the Tucker kid they got and they are definitely top 25.
It's a team that won't be able to play any defense because they can't afford the foul trouble and some of them wouldn't be any good at it anyway.

That's leaving aside known chemistry and character problems in at least 1/3 of their rotation.

There are rumors out there this kid is a team cancer and is very much "me first." It is a fact that Duke did not initially recruit him probably due to academic issues but I also suspect his attitude did not help and he had to call them and request they recruit him. I would be nervous having him around a senior Grayson Allen who rightfully thinks this is his team meant to feature him after being pushed to the back last year behind Tatum and Kennard.

There are rumors out there this kid is a team cancer and is very much "me first." It is a fact that Duke did not initially recruit him probably due to academic issues but I also suspect his attitude did not help and he had to call them and request they recruit him. I would be nervous having him around a senior Grayson Allen who rightfully thinks this is his team meant to feature him after being pushed to the back last year behind Tatum and Kennard.

Honestly that's the same thing that popped into my head was how will the Gracie Allen/duval dynamic play out. I get a me first vibe from how duval plays and we all know how Gracie acts when things don't go his way.

Duke started recruiting Duval as soon as he announced he was transferring from API. That was the only thing holding back any school from recruiting him.

Duke has three of the consensus top 10 incoming recruits to go along with senior Allen and sophomore Bolden. That's a very solid starting five. That said, K won't run those two bigs well together, and Duval/Allen/Trent has "bad chemistry" written all over it. That's not even to mention the worst lack of depth this side of the P5, so this season we can all look forward to hearing ESPN tell us ad nauseum how Duke is playing "undermanned." But Coach K's short-bench style aside, they really are just one injury or a couple bad fouls away from trouble. That's a team that could go to a Final Four or a first-round exit.

Yeah, I bet Duke sets an NCAA record for most Baker Acts in a year....

Duke started recruiting Duval as soon as he announced he was transferring from API. That was the only thing holding back any school from recruiting him.
This is a serious question and not flaming. Then why did you prioritize Matt Coleman over him??

Duval/Allen
Allen/Trent
Trent/White/Tucker
Carter/DeLaurier
Bolden/Vrankovic

Man it would have been sweet for Frank Jackson to return but I'm already excited about next year. Even though the team is less talented, I feel like Duke will do a lot better next year with having a fully healthy roster and in a down year of college basketball.

Duval/Allen
Allen/Trent
Trent/White/Tucker
Carter/DeLaurier
Bolden/Vrankovic

Man it would have been sweet for Frank Jackson to return but I'm already excited about next year. Even though the team is less talented, I feel like Duke will do a lot better next year with having a fully healthy roster and in a down year of college basketball.
Of course you do. [laughing]

Duval/Allen
Allen/Trent
Trent/White/Tucker
Carter/DeLaurier
Bolden/Vrankovic

I think the hype for this team compared to the actual product on the court will be even worse than this season.

Duke has three of the consensus top 10 incoming recruits to go along with senior Allen and sophomore Bolden. That's a very solid starting five. That said, K won't run those two bigs well together, and Duval/Allen/Trent has "bad chemistry" written all over it. That's not even to mention the worst lack of depth this side of the P5, so this season we can all look forward to hearing ESPN tell us ad nauseum how Duke is playing "undermanned." But Coach K's short-bench style aside, they really are just one injury or a couple bad fouls away from trouble. That's a team that could go to a Final Four or a first-round exit.

True, they do have 3 of the top 10 players but it is laughable that Trent is still in the top 10 and I'd argue that if he had signed with anyone else (other than UNC) he wouldn't be rated that high. He was easily the least impressive guard I saw in the all-star games, games dominated by guards. I can't wait to watch how K handles Duvall. Seems like it could end up like Selby did at Kansas under Self.

Reactions: Mr_GG
You need to have more then a talented starting 5 . They have a team that screams disfunction . And no bench worth crap. Duke is a top 15 with Duval who will be 3rd ish place in the league. Without they are no better then 7th or 8th place in the ACC and Allen will implode once again.

Duval/Allen
Allen/Trent
Trent/White/Tucker
Carter/DeLaurier
Bolden/Vrankovic

LMAO . If UK had that roster in the calipari era I wouldn't be thrilled . Literally zero talented depth . Carter is an elite player. Trent and Duval are really good players but a notch below the Carter ,bamba, Vanderbilt and Knox's of this class IMO and Allen is a nut job. So 4 pretty talented players and Bolden a guy who might one day be great but is far from even decent now. The rest of the team isn't worth mentioning . It would be like UK fans mentioning Wynard right now.

You need to have more then a talented starting 5 . They have a team that screams disfunction . And no bench worth crap. Duke is a top 15 with Duval who will be 3rd ish place in the league. Without they are no better then 7th or 8th place in the ACC and Allen will implode once again.

I agree the depth will be a concern. Not sure how this teams "screams distinction" though.

I agree the depth will be a concern. Not sure how this teams "screams distinction" though.
Disfunction. Any team with Allen does as it has been proven. The best indicator of future results is past actions and Allen is nut job who can't control himself . Hell even after he came back he did like 5 or 6 things that were obvious dirty / nutty things but he was subtle enough not to get in too much trouble. They have 3 ball dominate guards as Duval is not a pass first guy at all so that should be fun . LOL.

This is not really a shock I'm not sure what he was waiting on but he actually committed to Duke a few weeks ago. I guess they were just taking the time to make sure academically everything was in line.

Disfunction. Any team with Allen does as it has been proven. The best indicator of future results is past actions and Allen is nut job who can't control himself . Hell even after he came back he did like 5 or 6 things that were obvious dirty / nutty things but he was subtle enough not to get in too much trouble. They have 3 ball dominate guards as Duval is not a pass first guy at all so that should be fun . LOL.

Allen is a head case but every player that has played with him that I have seen has said he is a very good friend and teammate.

Also Allen has lead the team in assists the past two years.

Duval is a very well rounded point guard in terms of scoring/distributing. Averaged 16/8 this year in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT