ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Mitchell's first practice

Nice.

Huge unexpected addition. One thing he’s going to have to really work on (or we’re gonna get pretty frustrated watching him) is his turnover rate. He has a tendency ti be really loose with the ball. If he cleans that up, he’s gonna be money.

Last edited:
Nice.

Huge unexpected addition. One thing he’s going to have to reply work on (or we’re gonna get pretty frustrated watching him) is his turnover rate. He has a tendency ti be really loose with the ball. If he cleans that up, he’s gonna be money.
Very true. Every time I watched him play there was 1 or 2 times every single game where he gets the ball taken from him bully style. If I were Cal I'd do the old football coach trick of having him carry a ball around campus and telling his teammates to try to take it from him if they see him. Helps guys who are in the habit of fumbling. Doing that, working on grip strength, and even maybe fixing the positioning of his hands around the ball could probably do the trick.

Very true. Every time I watched him play there was 1 or 2 times every single game where he gets the ball taken from him bully style. If I were Cal I'd do the old football coach trick of having him carry a ball around campus and telling his teammates to try to take it from him if they see him. Helps guys who are in the habit of fumbling. Doing that, working on grip strength, and even maybe fixing the positioning of his hands around the ball could probably do the trick.
I'd guess with the guards we have he's going to have the ball in his hands less than he did at previous stops.

I'd guess with the guards we have he's going to have the ball in his hands less than he did at previous stops.
That’s true but what I’ve seen is it’s not like he’s turning it over because he’s dribbling too much. He gets it taken away on post ups and elbow catches just being weak with the basketball. Not because he’s handling it too much.

Reactions: BBUK and ORCAT
Nice.

Huge unexpected addition. One thing he’s going to have to really work on (or we’re gonna get pretty frustrated watching him) is his turnover rate. He has a tendency ti be really loose with the ball. If he cleans that up, he’s gonna be money.
That he does, 17% turnover rate.

Who cares. Frederick couldn't hit 40% wide open and Reeves couldn't hit mostly wide open shots some key gamed.

40% is 40%. Mitchel will be open on most of his 3 point attempts to with the defense busy with edwards and reeves and Wagner.
Lol um, this whole board. So wheeler shooting 37% from 3 means he was a “good shooter”?

Most were wide open, though. Similar to wheeler..
Oh shit, thanks for reminding the board that we want our guys shooting contested shots instead of wide open looks!! Here all along following basketball for 40 years I thought the primary philosophy on offense was to get open looks, take good shots. Thanks for being a genius and letting us know that contested shots are better shots.

And that they counted more towards your % if you have a hand in your face, instead of taking created, open looks like youre supposed to in basketball. Damn man, you should coach.

Cayts69 wants our guys to take contested 3s with hands in the face instead of wide open looks. Great philosophy!!

Nice.

His minutes won't be high enough a game to average big turnovers. With all the guys getting minutes his time on the floor will be a Keion Brooks type roll. Put backs and rebound and kickouts to open guys. The guards like DJ and Edwards, Reeves will be primarily ball handlers and shot takers.

That’s true but what I’ve seen is it’s not like he’s turning it over because he’s dribbling too much. He gets it taken away on post ups and elbow catches just being weak with the basketball. Not because he’s handling it too much.
If that's the case I think it's an easy fix if it's addressed and the coaches put in the focus.

Lol um, this whole board. So wheeler shooting 37% from 3 means he was a “good shooter”?

No one said he was a good shooter you goober. I was referring to toppins percentages. Not the guy who quit on UK.

And volume matters some as toppim and Wheeler didn't shoot that many 3s and we didn't want them too. Frederick shot over a 100 and shot abysmally though and hurt us.

Mitchell and Burks together really changes the dynamic of this team. Gives us three 6-8/6-9 guys that can move, shoot, score and is athletic. If we get that one good backup five man it is going to be difficult not only for teams facing this kind of depth but also the rogue refs we face.
It seems like depth is irrelevant to Cal. He’s going to play his 7 or 8 guys and that’s it. I wish he would use everyone he’s got and just wear the other teams down. But that means less playing time and smaller stats for the NBA prospects. You can’t put the good of the team over the good of the players.

Reactions: uk78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT