ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I know it has been reported that we are "done" in the portal this year. But I can't believe there aren't some some guys who may pull out of the draft that we would not be interested in.
I think for us to take a forward, it would probably mean Toppin isn't returning.

The top players that I see in the portal are:
Mosley 2G
Baldwin SF
Lofton PF
Nance F
Mayer F
M.Smith 2G
AJ Green 2G
Brooks PF
Sherfield CG

Rated guys I think we would pass on:
Minott
T.Hunter
Bates
Abogidi
T.Allen
Powell
T.Mitchell
Ndefo
Gueye

And so I guess that means guys like Molinar, Pippen, McGowens, Hall are either staying in the draft or returning to their same school.

An interesting one, is L.Miller, who right now is looking like a decent chance at being a 2nd round pick. And after how the G-league guys are not looking like high draft picks, I could really see him choosing a college for next year.

Reactions: morehorsepower4UKbb
Can't forget the Grad Transfer option that isn't related to the Portal as well. I'd forgotten that aspect but if you graduate, those type of kids will likely be granted a waiver even after wanting to transfer post Portal deadline of May 1st.

Can't forget the Grad Transfer option that isn't related to the Portal as well. I'd forgotten that aspect but if you graduate, those type of kids will likely be granted a waiver even after wanting to transfer post Portal deadline of May 1st.
Cal better do something to get the fans spirits and hopes up again.Now that the Sharpe fiasco is officially over he looks like the world's biggest fool.

Nah Miller doesn't wanna play college ball unfortunately. Plus idk who his handlers are but isn't he Canadian?? If it's SS's handlers we should pass lol

Just don't think he wants any part of pretending to be a student athlete
From what I've read I think you're right about Miller not wanting any part of college basketball. But if UK adds anyone else I think I would much rather have one of the best 2Gs in the portal anyway. Just looking at the currently available portal players listed by JW above, I would be happy with Malachi Smith or even Teddy Allen - and I'm not saying those are the best available, just two examples.

Reactions: stuway
From what I've read I think you're right about Miller not wanting any part of college basketball. But if UK adds anyone else I think I would much rather have one of the best 2Gs in the portal anyway. Just looking at the currently available portal players listed by JW above, I would be happy with Malachi Smith or even Teddy Allen - and I'm not saying those are the best available, just two examples.
Teddy Allen announced he's staying in the draft.

Reactions: G-PIP
I know it has been reported that we are "done" in the portal this year. But I can't believe there aren't some some guys who may pull out of the draft that we would not be interested in.
I think for us to take a forward, it would probably mean Toppin isn't returning.

The top players that I see in the portal are:
Mosley 2G
Baldwin SF
Lofton PF
Nance F
Mayer F
M.Smith 2G
AJ Green 2G
Brooks PF
Sherfield CG

Rated guys I think we would pass on:
Minott
T.Hunter
Bates
Abogidi
T.Allen
Powell
T.Mitchell
Ndefo
Gueye

And so I guess that means guys like Molinar, Pippen, McGowens, Hall are either staying in the draft or returning to their same school.

An interesting one, is L.Miller, who right now is looking like a decent chance at being a 2nd round pick. And after how the G-league guys are not looking like high draft picks, I could really see him choosing a college for next year.
Kentucky isn’t going after any of them so it doesn’t matter unfortunately

Reactions: reggis1
Prefer a stretch 4 who could play with or in place of Oscar:
Pete Nance,
Leonard Miller,
But would settle for a combo guard who can shoot, backup Wheeler, and play Def:
Courtney Ramey,
AJ Green

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I’m not gonna hold my breath for a late roster addition as there’s no smoke at all right now, but I will remind that Jamal Murray made his commitment in the latter half of June.

Reactions: track42
Prefer a stretch 4 who could play with or in place of Oscar:
Pete Nance,
Leonard Miller,
But would settle for a combo guard who can shoot, backup Wheeler, and play Def:
Courtney Ramey,
AJ Green
AJ Green is reportedly down to dook or Iowa State (where his dad coaches.) Considering his visit to dook coincided with Joey Baker's abrupt late entry into the transfer portal, I think he's probably heading to dook. He may just be waiting to make sure Trevor Keels stays in the draft. In any event, he can shoot, but the playing defense and backing up Wheeler aspects are not something he can provide.

Pete Nance is reportedly one of the top choices UNC is looking at. But I have to be honest. I have major doubts about whether he can guard the modern day stretch 4 after watching his clips from the G League combine. Dude is just unathletic and slow out on the perimeter. He shoots a high % from 3, but he also has a very slow release. I can see why Northwestern played him at Center and not PF. He also measured 6'11" in shoes with a 7'0" wingspan but only 218 lbs. So not a particularly long wingspan (Brady Manek has a 7'1" wingspan) and pretty light for a center. Seems like he'll either get pushed around trying to guard centers or he'll struggle trying to stay in front of stretch 4s. But I'm sure he'll want a starting role wherever he goes.

You make a good point on Nance and UNCheat, it’s hard to beat when they have no one at the position so guaranteed minutes, but with us you have to compete with Toppin and Collins.

I want a combo guard who makes 3’s.

I wish we could have an actual stretch 4 but Collins or Toppin don't fit that.
Livingston as a small ball/stretch 4 would be ideal, IMHO.

Then play Reeves/Fredrick beside Wallace on the wings. Need three guys that are a threat to shoot at the 2-4 spots with Wheeler at the 1 and Tshiebwe at the 5.

G Wheeler- poor shooter.
G Wallace- good shooter (hopefully).
G Fredrick(or Reeves)- best shooter.
F Livingston- decent shooter.
F Tshiebwe- non-shooter.

That is the right combination offensively (considering that Cal will absolutely start Wheeler and play him 30+ minutes a game), IMHO.

I expect Cal to play Livingston at the 3, though.

Cal better do something to get the fans spirits and hopes up again.Now that the Sharpe fiasco is officially over he looks like the world's biggest fool.
My hopes and spirits are up and ready to go. I think we have a chance for a strong season next year but, like many, I would feel a little better if we could add one more quality guy.

Gotta have some strength to do that
I know he's young, but Livingston seems to be built pretty sturdy. And he may not have ideal height for the PF spot, but it's college and we've seen players his size do fine defending the 4. Now, whether Livingston specifically can defend the position well enough next season, I don't know. And I admit that my motive in hoping he can is my bias in wanting a SF that shoots it well from behind the 3pt. line; and I'm afraid he's still working on developing a quicker trigger and more consistency there.

I know he's young, but Livingston seems to be built pretty sturdy. And he may not have ideal height for the PF spot, but it's college and we've seen players his size do fine defending the 4. Now, whether Livingston specifically can defend the position well enough next season, I don't know. And I admit that my motive in hoping he can is my bias in wanting a SF that shoots it well from behind the 3pt. line; and I'm afraid he's still working on developing a quicker trigger and more consistency there.
Height doesn’t matter. Chuck Hayes proved that. At that 4 and 5 you better bring some killer bod strength and good hands. It’s key to defense.

Livingston is not a good ball handler at all.
That wheeler Wallace Livingston toppin and Oscar lineup are going to have driving lanes the size of ants. Defenses will do what Virginia does and play pack line defense but even more closer

If you don’t think Livingston can play the 4 in college, you haven’t been paying attention to college basketball for the past decade or so.

Reactions: 1war
If you don’t think Livingston can play the 4 in college, you haven’t been paying attention to college basketball for the past decade or so.
Can and should are two different things. And he is short for a PF, and if you don’t see that you’ve not been paying attention to college basketball. Yes there are exceptions like Hayes.
You also don’t pay attention if you don’t think guts improve, can become 3pt shooters, or that Toppin and Oscar don’t have nice strokes.

That wheeler Wallace Livingston toppin and Oscar lineup are going to have driving lanes the size of ants. Defenses will do what Virginia does and play pack line defense but even more closer
Livingston ain’t starting. I’d be surprised if he plays more than 15mpg

By now, Toppin knows he needs to develop a 3 point shot, has to. So I would count on him playing like Sophomore PJ Washington. I feel confident in saying that. He has the length, the body and the athletic ability, he just needs that last piece (and playing time).

Watching the NBA playoffs proves that you better be able to hit 3's at the 4 spot if you want to play at that level.

Given that, I want Toppin on the court as much as possible, so hopefully Cal can pull another guard or 2.

Webcam footage of Cal working the portal...

big-belly-fat-fat-ass-joy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT