ADVERTISEMENT

Tough couple of days for UConn fans

Sarcastic Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

IF the basketball Cats was coming off of back to back championships, I would deal just fine with the Bat Cats getting boat-raced by 20 and not lose any sleep. Hell, maybe even be fine losing the head coach. That is the cost of doing business winning 12 straight tournament games and doing so by at least DD's. Everybody wants to hire the coach running college basketball.

UConn is more than just 2 years of basketball success. They aren't UK, but they aren't chopped liver. Its arrogant to deny them their props.

I hope Hurley takes the Lakers job, just because it would deny LeBron one of his his annual excuses. Hint: if you have to be THE most talented team with the best coach to compete, you may not be the GOAT after all. Everybody remember MJ complaining the Bulls needed 1 more star? You remember Karl Malone saying he needed more scoring help to battle Showtime? Yeah, me neither.

I'm no fan of UConn but this whole situation shows how losing your coach this late in the cycle can just kill your program. All your players can transfer out immediately and the portal has closed for the good targets.

So the coaching dominoe for UConn would be to convince another coach to come and THEN pillage their roster to transfer their players to the new school, triggering similar flights of talent as the coaching carousel moves around. Just insanity.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wouldnt it be ironic if he had come to UK for 60 days and them move to Cali. The BBN dodged the yankee if he goes to the Lakers.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
If he does leave they’ll be able to pick whatever coach they want because that’s how it works… according to them. When they hire an unproven assistant like they will they are no longer a Blue Blood. They had a good 2 month run tho.
Bruce Pearl is their only hope this late in the game. He’d keep their roster together and he’d love the chance to be at a real basketball program

If they miss on him…. They better hope they snag another diamond in the rough

Bruce Pearl is their only hope this late in the game. He’d keep their roster together and he’d love the chance to be at a real basketball program

Is anyone making the case that it "sucks to be them?"

I think all the OP is stating is that it will suck losing the #1 coach in America, which it will if it happens.
Thank you. Followed by a 20-run loss in the Super Regionals.

If he does leave they’ll be able to pick whatever coach they want because that’s how it works… according to them. When they hire an unproven assistant like they will they are no longer a Blue Blood. They had a good 2 month run tho.
You mean a good 40 year run? Not a UCONN fan but they have been the premier program in every 50 and unders life. six titles.

I can't say I have anything against UConn fans or their program. But, I am absolutely NO fan of Hurley. At all. Dude is unstable. And it sounds like his behavior has rubbed off on a good deal of their fans.
You must have not gone to the John Wall game at MSG in 2009? I’ll never forget that game and their fanbase. They were the absolute worst I’ve ever experienced.

It’s funny how people forget details like this. There’s actually people that want to play IU again as well. Like, have you been to Ass Hall
And spoke with IU fans?
I've grew up in Indiana during the Bobby Knight years, and live here again as an adult. I've dealt with IU fans more than 95% of this board. They are pretty bad. But, I absolutely want to play IU again. Why? Because it's good for the sport and IMO, most fans know that and want it.

Some of you folks act like BBN doesn't have loud, obnoxious, a-hole fans. Human nature and it's worts, aren't exclusive to only certain groups of people. BBN isn't immune to obnoxious a-hole disease. For the most part, I think we're pretty ok. But just look at how some treat other UK fans on this board. How do you think they act towards fans of other teams?

I've grew up in Indiana during the Bobby Knight years, and live here again as an adult. I've dealt with IU fans more than 95% of this board. They are pretty bad. But, I absolutely want to play IU again. Why? Because it's good for the sport and IMO, most fans know that and want it.

Some of you folks act like BBN doesn't have loud, obnoxious, a-hole fans. Human nature and it's worts, aren't exclusive to only certain groups of people. BBN isn't immune to obnoxious a-hole disease. For the most part, I think we're pretty ok. But just look at how some treat other UK fans on this board. How do you think they act towards fans of other teams?

I said it when everyone was against it. Why are we allowing Calipari to ruin our traditions? He handed Duke the family mantra, he eliminated our in season tournaments that we owned, he ruined the SEC tournament traditions, he ended the Indiana UK rivalry, which did nothing but hand Duke and UNC the platform. We complain about espn promoting that game over all, well Calipari didn’t even fight for it. And many of our fans went right along with this attitude which has lowered our brand in many minds.

From this point forward no coach should be allowed to meddle with the traditions. No coach owns this program, this is the people’s program, it’s the players’ program both past and present. A single man does not determine those types of things. This is a blue blood program, you cannot own it. Just imagine how dominating our record would be over Indiana right now? It would make us look even better. But no, we’re going to bring it back when Indiana has their legs. It was STUPID. We would be dominating all of our main rivals with winning records over all. But we allowed one man to eliminate our ability to do so.

The game needs to be brought back and played. Coaches need to be told up front they are not allowed to change our traditions and fans need to stand in opposition if a coach tries it.

Bruce Pearl wouldn't get a sniff at UCONN. Talk about a bad fit. Pretty sure IF the UCONN job came open, they would not have to rely on a "diamond in the rough" coaching replacement. Back to back titles, 5 in the last 25 years, they will not have any trouble finding a good coach.

I get your point but “some”of the fans here aren’t fans or wouldn’t talk to someone in public how they talk here. I lived in Indiana for a long time after my parents divorce. Just wearing a UK shirt to Walmart was enough to push some over a cliff it seemed. UK I’m sure has some fans like that too, but I wouldn’t wanna be around them either acting that way.

Can you please elaborate on how playing them is good for the sport? Last time at Ass hall wasn’t a good moment for the sport. Players being called names, people hurt, spot on etc. maybe we have different definitions of good for the sport.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Bruce Pearl wouldn't get a sniff at UCONN. Talk about a bad fit. Pretty sure IF the UCONN job came open, they would not have to rely on a "diamond in the rough" coaching replacement. Back to back titles, 5 in the last 25 years, they will not have any trouble finding a good coach.

Not so sure about that. I think UConn has been very fortunate in many respects. They made a bad hire after Calhoun but he somehow managed to get a championship when his team went red hot at the right time. I’m no fan of the “luck” argument when it comes to sports but I think the UConn success is a great argument for it. Hurley was not seen as some slam dunk hire and was nearly ran out of there, then it clicked together. My point is I don’t see anything UConn is doing that signals a recipe for their success. I see a great founder in Calhoun who overlapped into the modern era, a very fortunate championship by an underwhelming coach, and a shot in the dark hire that paid off. I don’t see anything that tells me their run is due to continue by some metric we can go by, or shows great coaches are going to be in awe of Uconn. That’s never been the case since Calhoun.

I think it’s also important to remember Uconn actually does have financial problems inside of their NIL department that even their fans are concerned about moving forward. What happens when Hurley moves on and they don’t have the hot name to recruit with? NIL becomes even more important which will hurt their chances to land some of these players like Mckneely. It hurts them to attract the big brand coaches.

I’m of the opinion that UConn’s run probably won’t sustain into the future once the conference shifts create an even wider gap between the have’s and have nots. Even if Hurley doesn’t move on to LA, he most definitely will soon. He’s already got one foot out of the door and we’ve seen this many times (Pitino, Donovan etc) he’s eventually going to have to go or his age will stop his goals. I think the only way he doesn’t go is if he is waiting on the Knicks and more security. There’s little chance he remains a lifetime college coach as he’s already said the things that lead us to believe he’s more of the Donovan / Pitino type that will “scratch the itch”. Coach K types are extremely rare at this level.

So I think Uconn will stay in house and take another shot in the dark which has already shown at a multitude of institutions not to work.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Dude proclaims his love for UConn, is never leaving, blah, blah blah and then he bolts in timing to make sure their next season sucks

glad he didn't come to UK.

just a low character move if he goes

Reactions: Girthang
I don't care if we ever let IU play us again after the way the fans acted in our most recent games with them. It helps them more than us. As for Hurley, same deal. Their fans were gloating and talking a lot of trash toward us when he turned us down. This is just karma and I like it...a lot.

I can't believe UConn has had all of the success they have had considering the lack of support and finances. Like how?

Here's an article on their finances. It also looks like student fees supply a lot of the budget. That's stuff that mid majors usually do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT