ADVERTISEMENT

Tough couple of days for UConn fans

Dude proclaims his love for UConn, is never leaving, blah, blah blah and then he bolts in timing to make sure their next season sucks

glad he didn't come to UK.

just a low character move if he goes
His love for UConn and his dream of coaching in the NBA don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Not so sure about that. I think UConn has been very fortunate in many respects. They made a bad hire after Calhoun but he somehow managed to get a championship when his team went red hot at the right time. I’m no fan of the “luck” argument when it comes to sports but I think the UConn success is a great argument for it. Hurley was not seen as some slam dunk hire and was nearly ran out of there, then it clicked together. My point is I don’t see anything UConn is doing that signals a recipe for their success. I see a great founder in Calhoun who overlapped into the modern era, a very fortunate championship by an underwhelming coach, and a shot in the dark hire that paid off. I don’t see anything that tells me their run is due to continue by some metric we can go by, or shows great coaches are going to be in awe of Uconn. That’s never been the case since Calhoun.

I think it’s also important to remember Uconn actually does have financial problems inside of their NIL department that even their fans are concerned about moving forward. What happens when Hurley moves on and they don’t have the hot name to recruit with? NIL becomes even more important which will hurt their chances to land some of these players like Mckneely. It hurts them to attract the big brand coaches.

I’m of the opinion that UConn’s run probably won’t sustain into the future once the conference shifts create an even wider gap between the have’s and have nots. Even if Hurley doesn’t move on to LA, he most definitely will soon. He’s already got one foot out of the door and we’ve seen this many times (Pitino, Donovan etc) he’s eventually going to have to go or his age will stop his goals. I think the only way he doesn’t go is if he is waiting on the Knicks and more security. There’s little chance he remains a lifetime college coach as he’s already said the things that lead us to believe he’s more of the Donovan / Pitino type that will “scratch the itch”. Coach K types are extremely rare at this level.

So I think Uconn will stay in house and take another shot in the dark which has already shown at a multitude of institutions not to work.
Ollie's title validates his hire. He wasn't the wrong hire. There are programs like Tennessee that have never even cracked a Final Four. Ollie won a title.

His firing was also warranted, but I'm sure every program in the nation - including Kentucky - would take a national title if it meant that the 4 subsequent years following that title were absolute trash.

UK has only won one title since 1998. I'd take four NITs if it meant one title.

Bruce Pearl wouldn't get a sniff at UCONN. Talk about a bad fit. Pretty sure IF the UCONN job came open, they would not have to rely on a "diamond in the rough" coaching replacement. Back to back titles, 5 in the last 25 years, they will not have any trouble finding a good coach.
Reports had already came out that he’s their first call if Hurley leaves.

And yes, they won’t have their pick of coaches this late in the recruiting cycle after rosters have largely been built everywhere.

Ollie's title validates his hire. He wasn't the wrong hire. There are programs like Tennessee that have never even cracked a Final Four. Ollie won a title.

His firing was also warranted, but I'm sure every program in the nation - including Kentucky - would take a national title if it meant that the 4 subsequent years following that title were absolute trash.

UK has only won one title since 1998. I'd take four NITs if it meant one title.
Sir, Ollie cheated.

I get your point but “some”of the fans here aren’t fans or wouldn’t talk to someone in public how they talk here. I lived in Indiana for a long time after my parents divorce. Just wearing a UK shirt to Walmart was enough to push some over a cliff it seemed. UK I’m sure has some fans like that too, but I wouldn’t wanna be around them either acting that way.

Can you please elaborate on how playing them is good for the sport? Last time at Ass hall wasn’t a good moment for the sport. Players being called names, people hurt, spot on etc. maybe we have different definitions of good for the sport.
So, because of one experience, after how many, we should never play them again? Ever? Come on down now, friend. I'm a fan and I want to see them play. Every year. Do it like it used to be done and play at Indy/Louisville. It's good for the sport because it's a marque rivalry that people will tune in to. Basketball college isn't great these days, and it'll get a little better when that game is played again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
So, because of one experience, after how many, we should never play them again? Ever? Come on down now, friend. I'm a fan and I want to see them play. Every year. Do it like it used to be done and play at Indy/Louisville. It's good for the sport because it's a marque rivalry that people will tune in to. Basketball college is great these days, and it'll get a little better when that game is played again.
I wouldn’t mind renewing the IU series
But I’d like to see the games played in Louisville and Indianapolis too. Technically neutral sites but with a home and home feel

If Hurley goes he will leave his top two assistants around to coach the team next year. A Bruce pearl hire would create some roster turnover. Some of those auburn guys may wanna go with him. It’s definitely a pretty big late ripple if it happens. Idk about his wife though. He will have to press her to get her to sign off .

Hurley may even do a Donovan. Take the job after 2 nattys then decide against it. I could see that here.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. I think UConn has been very fortunate in many respects. They made a bad hire after Calhoun but he somehow managed to get a championship when his team went red hot at the right time. I’m no fan of the “luck” argument when it comes to sports but I think the UConn success is a great argument for it. Hurley was not seen as some slam dunk hire and was nearly ran out of there, then it clicked together. My point is I don’t see anything UConn is doing that signals a recipe for their success. I see a great founder in Calhoun who overlapped into the modern era, a very fortunate championship by an underwhelming coach, and a shot in the dark hire that paid off. I don’t see anything that tells me their run is due to continue by some metric we can go by, or shows great coaches are going to be in awe of Uconn. That’s never been the case since Calhoun.

I think it’s also important to remember Uconn actually does have financial problems inside of their NIL department that even their fans are concerned about moving forward. What happens when Hurley moves on and they don’t have the hot name to recruit with? NIL becomes even more important which will hurt their chances to land some of these players like Mckneely. It hurts them to attract the big brand coaches.

I’m of the opinion that UConn’s run probably won’t sustain into the future once the conference shifts create an even wider gap between the have’s and have nots. Even if Hurley doesn’t move on to LA, he most definitely will soon. He’s already got one foot out of the door and we’ve seen this many times (Pitino, Donovan etc) he’s eventually going to have to go or his age will stop his goals. I think the only way he doesn’t go is if he is waiting on the Knicks and more security. There’s little chance he remains a lifetime college coach as he’s already said the things that lead us to believe he’s more of the Donovan / Pitino type that will “scratch the itch”. Coach K types are extremely rare at this level.

So I think Uconn will stay in house and take another shot in the dark which has already shown at a multitude of institutions not to work.
I agree that UConn’s conference affiliation will hurt them going forward and no major conference wants them because their football program is JV.
UConn will get left behind as this shift continues in college sports to 2-3 major conferences

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco

So, because of one experience, after how many, we should never play them again? Ever? Come on down now, friend. I'm a fan and I want to see them play. Every year. Do it like it used to be done and play at Indy/Louisville. It's good for the sport because it's a marque rivalry that people will tune in to. Basketball college isn't great these days, and it'll get a little better when that game is played again.
Because of one experience? You think their fans regret it and it’ll never happen again? For years their fans have instigated UK fans and called us scared to come back again. How many times should fans be stomped and players spit on before you decide maybe there’s other teams out of the 100s that can act appropriate and make a new rivalry? Can there not be new rivalries made?

Last edited:
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Because if one experience? You think their fans regret it and it’ll never happen again? For years their fans have instigated UK fans and called us scared to come back again. How many times should fans be stomped and players spit on before you decide maybe there’s other teams out of the 100s that can act appropriate and make a new rivalry? Can there not be new rivalries made?
There's not one good thing comes from that cesspool of a state.. Nothing..

Me too man. Me too, just reporting what I've read this AM. Idk, should get an answer today either way

I can't believe UConn has had all of the success they have had considering the lack of support and finances. Like how?

Here's an article on their finances. It also looks like student fees supply a lot of the budget. That's stuff that mid majors usually do.

Espn is in Bristol, CT. Should tell you what you need to know.

If what he said was true a couple months ago, that he is focused on UCon and is not interested in another job, then he shouldn't be considering ANY other job. If he's "torn" about what to do AND taking time to decide, lol, then it was all just BS.

If he was all in on UCon, he would have said he wasn't interested immediately. Either he wants the LA job or he's an attention whore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT