ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 UK wins in your lifetime

Born in 1976, but I’m only going to include games that I remember. These are my favorite wins:

1. 2016 Louisville
2. 2007 LSU
3. 1997 Alabama
4. 2018 Florida
5. 1998 LSU
I should have included ‘97 Bama.
Only other win over them was in 1922.

Reactions: KYExtemper
2007 LSU
2007 Louisville
2003 Arkansas
1997 Alabama
1998 Louisville
2003 we lost 71-63 in 7 OT
We led by 8 pts. 2 or 3 different times in OT and still lost.

To this day it is the 2nd most painful UK loss in my lifetime only behind the Bluegrass Miracle v LSU.

2003 we lost 71-63 in 7 OT
We led by 8 pts. 2 or 3 different times in OT and still lost.

To this day it is the 2nd most painful UK loss in my lifetime only behind the Bluegrass Miracle v LSU.
He meant 2002 when we won at Arkansas. They played in the SEC Championship that year.

Winning at Georgia and Auburn in the same year with QBs who barely had a pulse was pretty sweet. Even if they both stunk that year.

Reactions: fabcat
1. 2007 LSU (victory over #1)
2. 2018 at Florida (ended the streak)
3. 2018 Citrus Bowl - Penn State (first New Years Day bowl win in forever)
4. 1977 at Penn State (biggest win for what is still the best UK team in my lifetime)
5. 1997 Alabama (Couch to Yeast for only win over Bama in the last 100 years)

I think the 2007 louisville game has to be in there. The 2022 Florida game is one that NOW Kentucky should expect to win given our place in the SEC east.

2007 - LSU
2018 - Florida
2018 - Penn State (Citrus Bowl)
2011 - Tennessee
2006 - Clemson (Music City Bowl)

2007 LSU speaks for itself. Beating the #1 team in the country at that time felt like an impossible feat for the program. It would still be incredibly difficult to do today (we'll likely have our chance later this season), but Brooks and co. accomplishing this feat made it feel possible we could compete in the SEC. Til that point in my lifetime we had always been a doormat in the conference.

2018 Florida broke the streak, a streak that had made early Septembers as a football fan unbearable for my entire life. Not only because of the losses, but because of hearing about the "streak" all week leading up to the games, and then after we lost. Seeing a win against Florida for the first time was one of the most cathartic moments I've had as a sports fan to this point.

2018 Penn State is big for me because not only did it result in a 10-win season, but it helped make that season not feel fluky in any way. Beating a power program just put a stamp on that season that felt validating in many ways.

2011 Tennessee, see the same comments I had for Florida above. Bonus points because I was there and because screw UT.

2006 Clemson is kind of a random pick, but I went to the game personally, and up to that point UK football had only ever been to a couple of bowl games in my lifetime. I have very limited memory of the late 90's, so the Music City Bowl was essentially my first bowl experience as a football fan. It was also a really good game against a good program.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
PEACH BOWL 1976
@PENN STATE 1977
@LSU 1977 (NIGHT GAME IN DEATH VALLEY)
@GEORGIA 1977 BETWEEN THE HEDGES PRINCE (NOW KING) CHARLES IN ATTENDANCE
CITRUS BOWL VS PENN STATE

PS LISTENED TO THE UGA PREGAME INTERVIEW OF VINCE DOOLEY, THE QUESTION POSED TO VINCE "HOW ARE YOU GONNA HANDLE THE ALL-AMERICAN ART STILL COACH" DOOLEY ANSWERED "WELL WE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ART TODAY, ALL WEEK IN PRACTICE WE WORKED WITH ALL QUARTERBACKS, WHEN YOU COME TO THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE LOOK FOR AND IDENTIFY ART STILL, NO MATTER WHAT PLAY IS CALLED, AUDIBLE FOR IT TO BE RUN TO OPPOSITE SIDE OF FIELD AWAY FROM HIM".

Last edited:
Gotta have the Florida broken streak in there somewhere! 😁
OK drop one of the Louisville games either Stevie Got Loose or Tim Couch breaks in the Pizza Pit. Good call.

That Arkansas game may have been a loss but it was one of the greatest games played in SEC history. Gotta have it

Reactions: sambowieshin
2007 - LSU
2018 - Florida
2018 - Penn State (Citrus Bowl)
2011 - Tennessee
2006 - Clemson (Music City Bowl)

2007 LSU speaks for itself. Beating the #1 team in the country at that time felt like an impossible feat for the program. It would still be incredibly difficult to do today (we'll likely have our chance later this season), but Brooks and co. accomplishing this feat made it feel possible we could compete in the SEC. Til that point in my lifetime we had always been a doormat in the conference.

2018 Florida broke the streak, a streak that had made early Septembers as a football fan unbearable for my entire life. Not only because of the losses, but because of hearing about the "streak" all week leading up to the games, and then after we lost. Seeing a win against Florida for the first time was one of the most cathartic moments I've had as a sports fan to this point.

2018 Penn State is big for me because not only did it result in a 10-win season, but it helped make that season not feel fluky in any way. Beating a power program just put a stamp on that season that felt validating in many ways.

2011 Tennessee, see the same comments I had for Florida above. Bonus points because I was there and because screw UT.

2006 Clemson is kind of a random pick, but I went to the game personally, and up to that point UK football had only ever been to a couple of bowl games in my lifetime. I have very limited memory of the late 90's, so the Music City Bowl was essentially my first bowl experience as a football fan. It was also a really good game against a good program.

I agree with your first four picks, in the same order and for the same reasons. Only thing I would change is replace ‘97 Alabama for ‘06 Clemson. I was 14 and that was my first real magical moment as a Kentucky football fan.

Reactions: ConRay9
In varying order depending on the day:

JoJo Kemp vs South Carolina
Smitty vs Tennessee when he got hurt and came back and won anyway
Lynn Bowden vs Virginia Tech
UK vs Penn State
Breaking the Florida steak

And I realize all my picks have a recency bias, but I'm loving me some Mark Stoops era. I can't help it.

Reactions: UKUGA
1. Championship against tOSU Jan 2023
2. Semi Final Game OU for 22 Season
3. Bama SEC Championship Game 2022
4. UGA 2022
5. Penn St 2018

Honorable Mention
UF 18/22
UT 2012
so Car 2010

In varying order depending on the day:

JoJo Kemp vs South Carolina
Smitty vs Tennessee when he got hurt and came back and won anyway
Lynn Bowden vs Virginia Tech
UK vs Penn State
Breaking the Florida steak

And I realize all my picks have a recency bias, but I'm loving me some Mark Stoops era. I can't help it.

The JoJo game is one of only two games I’ve attended in the Stoops era.

Black unis and silver helmets FTW.

1964 vs. Ole Miss in Jackson...Ole Miss was # 1 27-21
1969 vs Ole Miss at McLean Stadium/Stoll Field 10-9
1977 vs Penn State at University Park, Pa PSU was #4 24-20
1997 vs Alabama at Commonwealth Stadium
2007 vs LSU at Commonwealth Stadium
All the great wins of the Mark Stoops Era

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT