ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 elite players who picked Duke in the NBA

Of course they get favorable calls, and have often been given great paths to the Championship. How many times in the NCAA have they been able to play in North Carolina or nearby, while Kentucky is 8 hours away from Lexington or more? Plus, they got beat last year when they didn't get their typical nearby home court advantage and had to face a physical team. Not disputing any of that. But, even so, they have had a lot of success in the ACC and tourney with players who are often not proving to be great pros. That's reality. Okafor won a championship and KAT didn't. Okafor was allowed to continually push his defensive player out of position and would not get charging calls. Even the announcers I remember in one game said how can anyone defend him if this is being allowed. So, it doesn't surprise me that they do well in college. But, if we are judging Duke players on their pro performance which is so-so, again I would say they over-achieved in college.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
BlueDevil you're cherry picking dates just like the Cats poster too. Instead just look at alltime!! Which program do you think is the best overall between Duke and Kentucky if you include the entire history of each program? No need for either fanbase to cherrypick dates.

That was my point. Try and keep up.

The FBI has shown what we all know. College sports are as corrupt as hell.

I have zero doubt that refs and the whole seeding process for the tournament are dirty too.

Around 2013, Nike dumped UNC as their main flagship school because of their tarnished image and Duke became THE new Nike flagship program. Before 2013, UNC owned Duke when it came to recruiting. Remember the Harrison Barnes saga?

Nike has a vested interest in their flagship school getting the best of the best players - guys like Marvin Bagley - every year. They also have a vested interest in that school winning championships. If you think all Nike can or would do to try to ensure those two things happen is make a few commercials and give them some really cool gear, you are way too naive for this world.

Not really, first of all, K is a great coach and no one argues that he isn't. That being said, he has had overwhelming talent and ridiculous good luck with the NCAA Tournament draws he's gotten. His overwhelming talent just seems to stall out post Duke in the NBA.
Luck?

It shows how protected the phony's teams are. Good grief they have a kid that still plays there that is as dirty of a player as there is in sports. Was suspended for ONE whole game and named a captain later. They are pretentious spoiled bunch that expect favorable treatment and can't handle it when they don't.
That program is all about one person and their legacy. That's it.

Ummmm... Tubby won a championship and made it to multiple S16 and E8's.
you really don't get what is considered successful in post season play do you? I mean you are obviously highly educated since you are a pharmacist (i assume you are due to your user name). tummy last went to the sweet 16 in 2005 and only made it to the sweet 16 5 times, the elite 8 4 times and the final 4 once (these number include the 98 championship) in his 10 years. but the biggest problem with tubby is we never felt like we were in the hunt. most of those sweet 16's and elite 8's felt like luck. tubby took our program backwards to where it was acceptable to hire BCG. he seriously took us back the point of the probation years to where we had to take a chance on an up and comer. but I digress, you seem to be counting championships are your standard for excellence and if you do that we win the argument, since you talked about cherry picking time frames. you cant talk about how awesome your school is during a certain time frame and then complain when someone picks a time frame to compare

Coach K said his greatest win in the history of his career was against UK in 1992. Yes, he said it. I heard it with my own two ears. That was arguably the best Duke team ever. Meanwhile, UK was fresh off probation and played Mashburn and a bunch of left overs that stuck around. They needed overtime and a prayer to beat that UK team. UK won their first title in 1948. Duke won their first in 1991. That's a 43 year difference. Let's put it in even better perspective. UK beat Duke in 1978 for their fifth title (13 years before Duke won their first). Duke won their fifth title in 2015, with a lot of help I might add. Duke doesn't hold a candle to UK all time. Point blank period. Sure y'all Dukies wanna talk about a UK/Duke comparison all time? I really don't think you do.

I always enjoy seeing rival fans jump straight into name calling over some sports talk. Shows the intelligence level of the person real quick.

In that same span you are talking about, UK has 2 NIT visits, one of which was a first-round exit. I will take 2 championships over 1 all day.

I also see you like to cherry pick your range of dates into some random timeframe that can try and help you make a point. How about we go from the past 26 years and compare the results.
Well if we’re cherry pickin years, we might as well just go by overall championships. How would that work for you?

I think the Duke Effect is real. As great a prospect as Bagley is, I can't help but doubt that he'll be as good a pro as is expected simply because he opted for Duke.
How in the world is this guy eligible ? He spent one year at a school that the ncaa doesn't recognize, so how in the hell does he complete 2 years of school work in 3 weeks, and be eligible from the git go ? I don't see how this is possible. Oh he is going to duke, now I understand. The acc is privliged , you don't even have to attend class to get a degree. they have to burn Louisville though, because thay have to show the world that the ncaa is not actually an extension of the acc. The cardinals are in the wrong conference at the wrong time.

you really don't get what is considered successful in post season play do you? I mean you are obviously highly educated since you are a pharmacist (i assume you are due to your user name). tummy last went to the sweet 16 in 2005 and only made it to the sweet 16 5 times, the elite 8 4 times and the final 4 once (these number include the 98 championship) in his 10 years. but the biggest problem with tubby is we never felt like we were in the hunt. most of those sweet 16's and elite 8's felt like luck. tubby took our program backwards to where it was acceptable to hire BCG. he seriously took us back the point of the probation years to where we had to take a chance on an up and comer. but I digress, you seem to be counting championships are your standard for excellence and if you do that we win the argument, since you talked about cherry picking time frames. you cant talk about how awesome your school is during a certain time frame and then complain when someone picks a time frame to compare

I only brought up Tubby because the guy wanted to throw out all he had done to make an argument, and my point was you would be tossing a banner. And as for the cherry picking comment, that was my point. The kid picked a random date range to make a point and I used 26 years to illustrate that if I did the same thing you guys would freak out, so I guess my point was valid.

How in the world is this guy eligible ? He spent one year at a school that the ncaa doesn't recognize, so how in the hell does he complete 2 years of school work in 3 weeks, and be eligible from the git go ? I don't see how this is possible. Oh he is going to duke, now I understand. The acc is privliged , you don't even have to attend class to get a degree. they have to burn Louisville though, because thay have to show the world that the ncaa is not actually an extension of the acc. The cardinals are in the wrong conference at the wrong time.

I think it is dead...

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but 26 is a lot more of a cherry picked number than 15. At least 15 is a nice round number, 26 even looks cherry picked. I would also note that comparing both schools over 15 years has an issue, as one of the school had a single coach, while the other school had 3 different coaches, and the main argument is pitting Cal against K in terms of NBA success. Cal has only coached at UK since 2009-2010 season, so bringing up anything beyond that is bringing in useless information.
How about 110

It infuriates me to no end that Okafor, Jones and Winslow were able to outlast one of the greatest teams ever assembled. The fix was definitely in. We all thought those guys turned out to be one heck of a recruiting haul, but they all stink (well, Winslow is decent..).. if they had put on a Kentucky jersey instead of what we had, we'd be doomed..

Kat, Ulis, Booker, Lyles were such a superior group.

It infuriates me to no end that Okafor, Jones and Winslow were able to outlast one of the greatest teams ever assembled. The fix was definitely in. We all thought those guys turned out to be one heck of a recruiting haul, but they all stink (well, Winslow is decent..).. if they had put on a Kentucky jersey instead of what we had, we'd be doomed..

Kat, Ulis, Booker, Lyles were such a superior group.
UK, KU, Notre Dame, Arizona and Wisconsin ALL on one side of the bracket is all that needs to be said. UK, KU and Notre Dame were all in the same region even. UK was UNDEFEATED and got the most difficult draw of any 1 seed in the entire tournament. ****ing bullshit I say.

I think it's more a reflection of the type of kid who goes to Duke and finds the whole elitist Ivy League Duke thing appealing. Guys who are sometimes maybe a little spoiled and full of themselves? Or maybe they think they are taking the easy road and sales pitches like "set for life" and snobbish hokum like The Brotherhood and guys sitting on the sidelines in matching custom tailored suits appeals to them.

Wut in tarnation?

I only brought up Tubby because the guy wanted to throw out all he had done to make an argument, and my point was you would be tossing a banner. And as for the cherry picking comment, that was my point. The kid picked a random date range to make a point and I used 26 years to illustrate that if I did the same thing you guys would freak out, so I guess my point was valid.

It wasn’t a random date range. It was the LAST 14 years- showing a pattern. I find it pretty interesting that you rarely hear it from sportswriters. Going by what they have to say, Duke is contending every year.

Feel free to apply the same logic to Calipari.

It wasn’t a random date range. It was the LAST 14 years- showing a pattern. I find it pretty interesting that you rarely hear it from sportswriters. Going by what they have to say, Duke is contending every year.

Feel free to apply the same logic to Calipari.

I respect Cal and never thought he deserved the criticism for his OAD style. When they MADE high school kids attend college for one year he took advantage of the rule and pulled in a ton of talent. He is still the best at it. Although Duke is getting some decent recruits now too. You cant blame a coach for adjusting his recruiting based on the new rules in place and say it is "bad for basketball" just because back in the 80's and 90's kids stayed all 4 years no matter what. I understand your 14 years, my point was if you go back to 15 years Duke would have had another championship added and I know you understood that which is why you picked 14 instead. Good hell, I am sure some of you guys have BP through the roof right now.

I've never witnessed a fan base that has their collective heads buried so far in the sand as Duke fans. Their heads are equally buried just as far up their coach's ass. If you're gonna be a Duke fan, at least admit they recieve a plethora of favoritism. Good Lord.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Plus, they got beat last year when they didn't get their typical nearby home court advantage.
They did though. They were 3 hours away! If UK plays 3 hours away in the regular season, they usually have the majority of fans on their side. This is just a recurring weak ass Duke excuse that people start to believe because they've heard it so often.

I respect Cal and never thought he deserved the criticism for his OAD style. When they MADE high school kids attend college for one year he took advantage of the rule and pulled in a ton of talent. He is still the best at it. Although Duke is getting some decent recruits now too. You cant blame a coach for adjusting his recruiting based on the new rules in place and say it is "bad for basketball" just because back in the 80's and 90's kids stayed all 4 years no matter what. I understand your 14 years, my point was if you go back to 15 years Duke would have had another championship added and I know you understood that which is why you picked 14 instead. Good hell, I am sure some of you guys have BP through the roof right now.

Actually, no. Duke didn’t win the championship in ‘04.

Once again, I have to educate Dookies on Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT