ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's game against Western Kentucky

Someone explain to me, what got Minge fired up? I had to leave in the 8th due to the kiddo having school tomorrow.

I feel bad for that poor WKU pitcher... at least wish we would’ve won it with a hit instead of that. But i still prefer it to an L.

Someone explain to me, what got Minge fired up? I had to leave in the 8th due to the kiddo having school tomorrow.

Squires has at least one on him and he swings through a high fastball. It isn't overly clear whether he got a piece or not, but on his back swing he gets the catcher's glove and the ball gets by the catcher and to the backstop. Shinn scores from third to put the game at 3-2 with a runner on third. The umpire originally did not make a call, but late called it a foul tip that wasn't caught. So that took a run off the board for UK. Mingione came out to argue it. Typically I see him go ask, shake his head and go back. Maybe he argues a little, but this time he had a big time conversation. He had full motions and walked away and came back and was very very unhappy about it.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Umpire crew was a mess tonight. Confusion on the WKU homer, inconsistent strike zone, and then that foul tip mess up. Although I was rooting for WKU, the positive element is UK wins and stays a top 10 team.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Listened to the last two innings on the way home, these are the kind of wins that turn a good but not great season, into a truly exceptional season.

OT, how many were in attendance? Cats hit the weather lottery in February and it sounded like a big crowd on the radio.

By the way, the new guy is >>>>>> than Dick Gabriel, first impression was very positive.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Darren grew on me as the game went on. Different style than Price, but he's got a way with words. Also liked his excitement for Kentucky winning.

Umpire crew was a mess tonight. Confusion on the WKU homer, inconsistent strike zone, and then that foul tip mess up. Although I was rooting for WKU, the positive element is UK wins and stays a top 10 team.
Agree, only got to watch the first 5 1/2 innings, but they missed calls on both teams.

Listened to the last two innings on the way home, these are the kind of wins that turn a good but not great season, into a truly exceptional season.

OT, how many were in attendance? Cats hit the weather lottery in February and it sounded like a big crowd on the radio.

By the way, the new guy is >>>>>> than Dick Gabriel, first impression was very positive.

The crowd was great for a 4:00 game on a Tuesday. One complaint I have, UK has to do something about parking. Parking this year has been a mess and no one knows where to go.

The umpire missed a passed ball on a swinging strike and then said it was a foul tip...it worked out in the end. Thought he was going to get tossed for a minute.

Squires has at least one on him and he swings through a high fastball. It isn't overly clear whether he got a piece or not, but on his back swing he gets the catcher's glove and the ball gets by the catcher and to the backstop. Shinn scores from third to put the game at 3-2 with a runner on third. The umpire originally did not make a call, but late called it a foul tip that wasn't caught. So that took a run off the board for UK. Mingione came out to argue it. Typically I see him go ask, shake his head and go back. Maybe he argues a little, but this time he had a big time conversation. He had full motions and walked away and came back and was very very unhappy about it.
It was a blown call by the ref both on tip call and interference...both were wrong, but like I said in the end it didn't matter.

I'm not sure whether he called it a foul tip or interference when Squires' bat struck the catcher's mitt on his back swing. If he called interference on the back swing, that is the correct call. It should be ruled a strike and dead ball. No runners can advance.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It was a blown call by the ref both on tip call and interference...both were wrong, but like I said in the end it didn't matter.

In looking at the rules it might have been the right call. Not sure of the NCAA rule, but there is a rule that during a backswing if contact is made with the catcher or catchers mitt that it shall be a strike and no runners may advance.

I typed this earlier and got distracted.

I pledge never to give up on a Ming-coached team again. I'm tired of losing to WKU (though, in fairness, all of those were under the previous regime). Great heart and persistence. From here on out, it's big boy baseball with Houston this weekend and then Texas Tech next weekend!

Reactions: RogerIndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT