ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow is huge

Yes, they are hyped and running on high energy. It will be senior day for them, and they will be wild.

UT is better as well. It's not like we are the only team improving.

You seem to be interpreting I have said somewhere that we can't win, when I simply said I wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

Teams improve for sure, but not at the rate we do. A guy like Vescovi is who he is, he's not getting better in his 5th year of college ball. And if anything, he might be getting more and more banged up.

Reactions: JC CATS and Cats192
Tomorrow is a true test of how good we actually are! If we can win, we’re a contender. If we get blown out, we’re a pretender.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal-4-Three
Tennessee is really, really good. The most complete team in the league, IMO.

I don't expect us to win, but if we show up with some toughness this go around and hit our fair share of shots, we certainly have the firepower to steal a win.

We got bullied last game. We have to be the aggressor this time.

This will be the first game this season in which we rematch a team we lost to previously, I am curious to see how our guys handle that. We've shown a tendency of playing our A game (or close to it) in high-profile games. Let's hope that continues.
You don’t expect us to win? This right here is exactly what’s wrong with a segment of our fanbase. You ALWAYS expect to win. There is no “let’s hope” as a UK fan. Soft a** fans.

If I'm Cal, I'm asking which guy wants to just follow Dalton all game. Just for this game, take someone like Adou, and say "the only thing I want from you is to just pester him for 40min. Don't worry about making shots, passing, fouls even going hard for rebounds.. your job is to just slow him down as best you can.

Because here's the thing.. remove their best player Dalton.. and remove ours, say Dilly. Which team is better? It's UK and I think in this scenario we boat race them.

Reactions: Cats192
Teams improve for sure, but not at the rate we do. A guy like Vescovi is who he is, he's not getting better in his 5th year of college ball. And if anything, he might be getting more and more banged up.
No doubt we have likely improved more. We have a higher ceiling and started with much less experience. Still, though, this is going to be an uphill battle that no metric points to us having a high chance of success in. I hope like hell we do win, and will be very happy to be wrong. I just don't see it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
It's going to be a tough one but if our boys buckle down on the defensive end, we got a shot.

If I'm Cal, I'm asking which guy wants to just follow Dalton all game. Just for this game, take someone like Adou, and say "the only thing I want from you is to just pester him for 40min. Don't worry about making shots, passing, fouls even going hard for rebounds.. your job is to just slow him down as best you can.

Because here's the thing.. remove their best player Dalton.. and remove ours, say Dilly. Which team is better? It's UK and I think in this scenario we boat race them.
Adou and Edwards need to be glued to Knecht and Zeigler all game.

I think Edwards length, athleticism and speed could be problematic against Zeigler. I also think Edwards has the speed to keep up with him. So I would actually let Edwards guard him a lot.

I would like to see Adou on Knecht the most. His size and strength may be enough to slow Knecht down.

Yes, they are hyped and running on high energy. It will be senior day for them, and they will be wild.

UT is better as well. It's not like we are the only team improving.

You seem to be interpreting I have said somewhere that we can't win, when I simply said I wouldn't get my hopes up for it.
I sure wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with you. You would have already surrendered. Show some fight.

Yeah I mean, I'm still picking Vols to win, but it's gotten a heck of a lot closer for me over the last few weeks. I really think it comes down to us. If we play loose and play like shit, they will win. If we don't, and play smart, and play just a little bit better defense, we will upset them.

Reactions: Cats192
This Tennessee team may be better than the one Ray Mears had with Ernie Grunfeld and Bernard King back in the 1970’s.
I think we get beat by 8-9 points. Our guards cannot guard Ziegler, and Knecht, James and 6th year Viscovi (sp?) are very good players.
on the flip side their guards can not guard our guards

I sure wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with you. You would have already surrendered. Show some fight.
I think this says more about you that you would even think about getting into a foxhol with an anonymous poster on the internet.

It's also odd you compare being honest about Odds in a basketball game to combat. It's not that serious, bro.

I think this says more about you that you would even think about getting into a foxhol with an anonymous poster on the internet.

It's also odd you compare being honest about Odds in a basketball game to combat. It's not that serious, bro.
It’s called a metaphor. Its meaning is when the going gets tough, you want someone on your team that has your back and be fearless. It’s not literally comparing a basketball game to combat. Get real.

Reactions: JC CATS
Fans have 0 impact on games. It's goofy to predict your team to win every game. Some of us can look at the matchup logically and realize how tough a game this is.

Uncw, lsu, Gonzaga, etc, should not have been losses and tough games.

I think our best chance is law of averages with UT playing so well of late and beating au, Alabama and SC last 3. That's hard to sustain and has taken a lot out of them compared to cupcake candy and Arkansas of late for UK.

Isn't that what Justin Edwards' role was the first game? I don't remember Knecht having a big game last time; seems like we were hurt by their 1, 2, and 4 spots. Having DJ back will help to slow Ziegler, AT was battling his back issues last time, so the big Hundley kid won't have such an easy go. Hopefully Antonio has his A game rolling and Reed/Rob have better defensive outings to keep their backcourt in check.

Great post. Because we’re so young, we typically improve more than most of the other teams.

Yeah I mean, I'm still picking Vols to win, but it's gotten a heck of a lot closer for me over the last few weeks. I really think it comes down to us. If we play loose and play like shit, they will win. If we don't, and play smart, and play just a little bit better defense, we will upset them.
This. I’m not gonna put money on us. But I think it absolutely can happen.

People on here acting like the Vols are the 96 Bulls. Kentucky has the most explosive offense in the country and love road environments . If they decide to play D like they did against Auburn they will come away with a W.

It’s called a metaphor. Its meaning is when the going gets tough, you want someone on your team that has your back and be fearless. It’s not literally comparing a basketball game to combat. Get real.
You're the one that made the comparison. Make a better one if you want people to interpret it your way.

Being logical and honest isn't not having someones back or being fearful. It's called being honest and logical. We are going to be 10pt underdogs in this game for a reason. Maybe take off the blue-tinted glasses and be honest with yourself. It allows for much less disappointment in life.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be in this position, but we are..
Ehh, this game was always going to be a likely loss because UT is very good, and it's on their court, on senior day.

We probably shouldn't be playing it for a top 4 seed in the SEC tournament, but we also shouldn't have had at least 1 player out injured all year; we shouldn't have given up multiple games at the end of regulation due to atrocious defense; and we shouldn't have to deal with the atrocious officating we get served out. My point is... shit happens. Just make the best of it and keep moving forward. We seem to at least have done that.

You're the one that made the comparison. Make a better one if you want people to interpret it your way.

Being logical and honest isn't not having someones back or being fearful. It's called being honest and logical. We are going to be 5pt underdogs in this game for a reason. Maybe take off the blue-tinted glasses and be honest with yourself. It allows for much less disappointment in life.
Does it really allow for less disappointment, though? If I think we're going to lose, and we lose, I'm still disappointed; I just started my disappointment a day or two early...if we pull the upset, I was pre-disappointed for a day or two for no reason.

Does it really allow for less disappointment, though? If I think we're going to lose, and we lose, I'm still disappointed; I just started my disappointment a day or two early...if we pull the upset, I was pre-disappointed for a day or two for no reason.
For me it does! If I know we aren't likely to win, I don't really find myself too disappointed when we don't. However, I am elated if we do win!

To each their own.

If I go into it thinking we’ll lose, I don’t come out feeling too down when we do lose.

@UT is the toughest game we’ll play for the rest of the year. Every team probably loses that game. If we win it, hell yeah.

Reactions: Thats An Awful Idea
The Vols don't have a lot of size, they basically have one big man, and even he only averages 25 minutes. My hope here is that the Vols were able to catch us early on when our team really had no identity.. but that our size will be tough for them to guard AND tough for them to make shots. (I know, our defense, and I agree)..

I know the Vols are good, but they didn't exactly "ace" their non-conference schedule. Kentucky beat several teams that they couldn't, back when we were REALLY erratic. I think this is a more winable game than people realize.

The problem is, will we show up. That is kind of the question still with this team. We don't have to fix all our defensive issues, but we need to be a better.

They aren't very deep, they have subpar 3pt shooting outside of Dalton. If Kentucky can find a way to take him off his game..
You didn’t even mention the #1 factor in beating them. How will the SEC officials treat us. Will it be called fair or will they allow UT to hand check us all the way to the basket. Arkansas beat us to death and received touch foul time and again at the other end. That was at home.

Being logical and honest isn't not having someones back or being fearful. It's called being honest and logical. We are going to be 10pt underdogs in this game for a reason. Maybe take off the blue-tinted glasses and be honest with yourself. It allows for much less disappointment in life.
Retired and living the good life. No disappointment here whatsover. Thanks for the life lesson though.

• Haha
Reactions: GoCats53
Retired and living the good life. No disappointment here whatsover. Thanks for the life lesson though
You don’t expect us to win? This right here is exactly what’s wrong with a segment of our fanbase. You ALWAYS expect to win. There is no “let’s hope” as a UK fan. Soft a** fans.
I hope we don't see you on here being disappointed after the game, but the post above seems to indicate you will.

You didn’t even mention the #1 factor in beating them. How will the SEC officials treat us. Will it be called fair or will they allow UT to hand check us all the way to the basket. Arkansas beat us to death and received touch foul time and again at the other end. That was at home.

Well the beauty of this, UK got zero home cooking for our game. We might as well have played the 1st game on a neutral site, or heck, maybe even in a large Tennessee arena. We were called for more fouls and they shot more free throws (despite not playing defense, huh?)

And yes, whole that certainly can (and maybe will) happen again, it's not like we didn't almost beat them with this help the first time.

I'd say Tenn is in big trouble if that whistle happens to bounce our way.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Beat UT, and everyone will be on board with this team.

Beat UT and Villanova beats Creighton, we’re in the driver seat for a 3 seed.

Beat UT and we’re the 2 seed in the SECT.

Beat UT and we may knock them out of a 1 seed.

Beat UT.
I think they beat UT. If they do don't be surprised if they lay a egg first SECT game. That's exactly how this team has played all year. Beat most of the better teams then turn around a lose to a team that had no business beating them.

Well the beauty of this, UK got zero home cooking for our game. We might as well have played the 1st game on a neutral site, or heck, maybe even in a large Tennessee arena. We were called for more fouls and they shot more free throws (despite not playing defense, huh?)

And yes, whole that certainly can (and maybe will) happen again, it's not like we didn't almost beat them with this help the first time.

I'd say Tenn is in big trouble if that whistle happens to bounce our way.
KSRs photographer had 30 still photos he posted of UT players with a hand on our hip or shoulder prior to starting our drive. Funny how we couldn’t turn the corner on them. It’s coached.

I would be surprised if we win. But we won down there a couple years ago when it seemed way less probable than this.

And BTW, it makes me sick to have discussions about hoping we can find a way to beat freakin’ UT.
Couple years ago ? How about LAST year.

Jan. 14th 2023 @ #5 UT - UK 63 UT 56
Feb. 18th 2023 @ Rupp Arena UK 66 #10 UT 54.
We swept UT last year beat them when they was ranked #5 and again later at home when they was ranked #10.
The game you are talking about (2022) was at Rupp. Jan. 15th 2022 - UK 107 UT 79.

Who ever the wise ass in the first few post that stated "Donnie Tyndall is not walking thru that door." You are right, the same Rick Barnes is, and just last year UK went to Knoxville and beat their ass while they was ranked #5. Then AGAIN (Rick Barnes still the coach), a month later in Rupp. 66-54. So no, Donnie Tyndall will NOT be coaching Saturday, but to act like UK has no chance of beating them, just shows your lack of knowledge. We did the EXACT thing last year, only difference is we beat them BOTH times last year. A win Saturday would be 3 out of the last 4, twice in Knoxville, WITHOUT Donnie Tyndall coaching UT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT