ADVERTISEMENT

Todd McShay raving about Anthony Richardson's Pro Day

The biggest deal with WL is his turnovers, either he thinks he can get the ball to receivers covered because of his arm or he just doesn't see the field.
Having watched most games live the past 2 years I'd say its the latter , his vision is far below average , he has trouble making transitions from WR1 to WR2 . And when he locks in to a guy there can 2 other guys wide open and it doesnt matter ... I go watch plays develop from the end zone where you can really see what guys are hitting soft spots and open areas ... he struggles finding them .

There is absolutely zero information that makes one lick of difference of a pro day workout. You just watched him using all those same attributes in 14 games this past season in live action, which set of date is more revealing as to how he will do Todd, this aint that hard.

If Todd came to the driving range with me and saw me hit wedges from a fluffy mat to targets 100 yards out he'd have me signed on an endorsment deal with Calloway! Then watch me shoot 92 my first time out on Lakeside.

Unlike Richardson, Russell had some success at LSU. I believe he was the QB when Richt won his first SEC Championship.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Having watched most games live the past 2 years I'd say its the latter , his vision is far below average , he has trouble making transitions from WR1 to WR2 . And when he locks in to a guy there can 2 other guys wide open and it doesnt matter ... I go watch plays develop from the end zone where you can really see what guys are hitting soft spots and open areas ... he struggles finding them .

To have any success in the NFL you have to be able to run your progression, throwing too many INT will put you in the XFL. Good luck to him.

• Haha
Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
Even if Richardson is taken highly, or #1, and plays well next yr....how awful does that make Napier look?!? A highly drafted QB but could only do 6-6?

At least Stoops put a 10-3 season on the board with Levis.

You are right, it would look bad on Napier. Lots of guys can look great against air, when there is 1 guy running a route. But when he up to 5 on routes and 4-6 trying to break you it gets a little tougher. I think he is the next JaMarcus Russel or Ryan Leaf.

Dewayne Robertson. Dude was considered solid but went to the combine and everybody wigged out about his bench press reps or something. Shot up the boards. He was out of the league in fairly short order for a guy that had a ton of money invested in him.
Dewayne made his 50+ million, but only stuck for 6 seasons in the NFL.

But the evaluators had more than his freakish bench press: he led SEC defensive tackles in sacks in 2002.

AR15 has only very modest accomplishments at UF.

Against us, he was clearly a valuable asset . . . for us.

Absent his size and athleticism, he could not have tackled our defensive end/Jack, and would have had two pick sixes for the day.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Folks it was inevitable.

Talking heads and front offices always fall in love with a freakish raw athlete with potential. Happens every year. Not always QB but there's always at least 1 if not multiple reaches in the first round for guys who are probably 3rd rounders in reality.

I mean Richardson is a first off the bus type of dude with unbelievable physical and athletic prowess. He looks like a top tier rush end, he runs like wr/rb...has an absolute cannon

I get it. If we're eyeballing it and going based off warmups, this dude is first pick in the sand lot, concrete court, back yard, etc...any sport...
Akili Smith 2.0

Akili Smith 2.0

Well, the odds are that most QBs don't make it.

In any given class, if 8-10 QBs get drafted, 1 may be a great all pro, 2 may be solid starters, 2 may hang around as backups...the rest probably will be out of the league in a couple seasons.

Again, he's probably a 3rd rounder, but you do not want to be the GM who could have drafted him, especially if your team needed a QB.

A couple seasons down the road if he's a bust the owner won't get mad at you for drafting him. Real simple "hey boss, kid had too much potential to pass up, we needed a QB and selected the biggest, fastest, most athletic, biggest armed one..."

Infact there are probably multiple owners pressuring their front office to take him. Owner's love bright shiny projects with potential.

However, it's harder to explain why you didn't take the 6'4 tank who moves like a Porsche, who is currently looking pretty good on some other team.

That's a different convo with the boss.

"Hey dipshit...remember that real big, fast, athletic, strong armed QB from a few years that you didn't take...well he's tearing it up right now...what was your reasoning for not taking him again..."

"well boss we really liked the rangy CB with long arms..."

"yeah...cool...you're fired..."

He was absolutely awful against us.

14/35 0 TDs 2 INTs, including the god awful pick 6. The guy has all the tools but aside from some wild highlights his body of work never did much for me.
Last year was one of the few seasons in which UF fans would have rather have the UK QB. It happens, but not often. AR15 was horrid against UK ... which really broke my heart (deeeeep sarcasm)

Reactions: STL_Cat
NFLN has turned vile and personal on Levis. Seems he didn't perform well in his interviews, came across as "entitled" is the claim. I think translated that means he didn't kiss ass. This should give him great motivation.
I'd bet the UK hate plays a part. They downgraded Allen, Bud, Woodyard... basically every player we've ever had they said was overrated.

Richardson is a head case in my opinion. Not a leader. You can't have his attitude and play QB at a championship level... petulant and self-absorbed is all I've ever seen in him, beyond off the charts athleticism. I agree with JaMarcus Russell 2.0 predictions.

Last edited:
Dewayne made his 50+ million, but only stuck for 6 seasons in the NFL.

But the evaluators had more than his freakish bench press: he led SEC defensive tackles in sacks in 2002.

AR15 has only very modest accomplishments at UF.

Against us, he was clearly a valuable asset . . . for us.

Absent his size and athleticism, he could not have tackled our defensive end/Jack, and would have had two pick sixes for the day.
He was a mid second day guy then shot to top of first. And yeah he hung around but was largely considered dead weight toward the end of his contract. More power to him he played when the signing bonus made sure it shouldn’t matter financially. Bassett got him for beans.

This Richardson dude got beat by everybody in college football. Played like shit in the toughest League against the toughest competition.

If you draft him you must be the Atlanta falcons, Carolina Panthers, .....you know teams that don't never win a damn thing.
There's a reason why you assholes have never seen Mr. Lombardi and his name is Anthony Richardson.

Mcshays latest mock had ar at 3 and Levis down around 11, 15, or something.

It's completely preposterous if anyone drafts Richardson that high. Even if he works out, he's a project that won't be ready until the tail end of his rookie deal. Why would you waste a top 3 pick on such a player?

Says he has physical tools no other QB in this draft has. Says the ball has energy coming out of his hand that no other QB in this draft has. Absolutely raving about Richardson's Pro Day and even says he sees more of the Josh Allen comparisons in Richardson than he does for Will Levis.

I don't necessarily want to make this a "Levis vs Richardson" debate ... but I see a potential bust in Richardson. He looks great in the highlights and on Pro Day of course, but look at his body of work. The guy consistently made horrible throws and made terrible decisions all year. If I'm a GM I'm really cautious about spending such a high draft pick on a guy due to his highlights and measurables.

Am I wrong on RIchardson? Because I'm not nearly as high on him as people that know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

Says he has physical tools no other QB in this draft has. Says the ball has energy coming out of his hand that no other QB in this draft has. Absolutely raving about Richardson's Pro Day and even says he sees more of the Josh Allen comparisons in Richardson than he does for Will Levis.

I don't necessarily want to make this a "Levis vs Richardson" debate ... but I see a potential bust in Richardson. He looks great in the highlights and on Pro Day of course, but look at his body of work. The guy consistently made horrible throws and made terrible decisions all year. If I'm a GM I'm really cautious about spending such a high draft pick on a guy due to his highlights and measurables.

Am I wrong on RIchardson? Because I'm not nearly as high on him as people that know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.
McShay came in 95th most accurate in last years draft. I'd say he's pretty clueless.

I don't care what he did on his pro day. Check him out against an actual defense. Garbage.

McShay was also very high on
Malik Willis 😕
McShay is sort of silly to be honest.....this was stated last year on Malik Willis....a guy the Titans decided to pick a dude off the street for a in the playoffs game over playing a healthy Malik Willis. AR15 had probably a worse year and why he's rated so high.....I can't see a game he's ever played to be worthy.

“I’ve got him at 20, McShay responded. “I’ve got him at 20 and Kenny Pickett at 21. So I agree with you. I’ve heard the same rumors. Listen, I can’t do it. I can’t pull the trigger there unless I hear something different. I love the intrigue with it, I think Malik is probably more intriguing when you get down to eight with the Falcons, nine with Seattle if he’s going to be a top ten pick. But both of us are in agreement, Mel, that he’s not necessarily a top five pick and maybe doesn’t deserve to be a top ten pick.”

I don’t get the hype for Richardson either. He’s an impressive athlete who shows a strong arm in drills to be sure, but that doesn’t go all that far in the NFL. QBs there need to be able to quickly read the defense, including some of that coming pre-snap, identify which throw will be open before it actually happens, then deliver the ball accurately. He didn’t consistently show any of those traits during actual games at Florida.

For the record since this has become something of a comparison thread, I have a lot of the same concerns about Levis. I’m honestly not sure either of them ends up being franchise QB material.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT