ADVERTISEMENT

Todd McShay raving about Anthony Richardson's Pro Day

STL_Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
Says he has physical tools no other QB in this draft has. Says the ball has energy coming out of his hand that no other QB in this draft has. Absolutely raving about Richardson's Pro Day and even says he sees more of the Josh Allen comparisons in Richardson than he does for Will Levis.

I don't necessarily want to make this a "Levis vs Richardson" debate ... but I see a potential bust in Richardson. He looks great in the highlights and on Pro Day of course, but look at his body of work. The guy consistently made horrible throws and made terrible decisions all year. If I'm a GM I'm really cautious about spending such a high draft pick on a guy due to his highlights and measurables.

Am I wrong on RIchardson? Because I'm not nearly as high on him as people that know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

Says he has physical tools no other QB in this draft has. Says the ball has energy coming out of his hand that no other QB in this draft has. Absolutely raving about Richardson's Pro Day and even says he sees more of the Josh Allen comparisons in Richardson than he does for Will Levis.

I don't necessarily want to make this a "Levis vs Richardson" debate ... but I see a potential bust in Richardson. He looks great in the highlights and on Pro Day of course, but look at his body of work. The guy consistently made horrible throws and made terrible decisions all year. If I'm a GM I'm really cautious about spending such a high draft pick on a guy due to his highlights and measurables.

Am I wrong on RIchardson? Because I'm not nearly as high on him as people that know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.
Look no further than Jamarcus Russell. That's what happens when you draft off pro day workouts.

I'm beginning to think that Levis stole McShay's girl or something. He definitely seems to have an axe to grind with Will for some reason.
Levis has his own issues with decision making and pocket presence so I am by no means saying Levis is the perfect QB for this draft, but I'm a little thrown off by McShay suggesting that Richardson's physical measurables are so much better than everyone else in the draft. Especially when it comes to arm strength. McShay's suggestion that no one else in the draft has the ball come out of their hand with as much energy as Richardson really threw me off. I have a hard time believing Richardson has a much stronger arm than Levis.

If you want to say Levis will be a bust, or at the very least is a distant third behind Young and Stroud, then that’s fair. Colin Cowherd today said that Levis is more concerned with his physique than his football skills, and I can’t necessarily argue that.

But to dog out Levis while talking up Richardson… that’s just idiotic.

To be honest....this Ar15 hype is the oddests I've ever seen. At least the other college QB busts were small school guys in bad competition or were pretty solid college players ....or even balled out in college and didn't translate to NFL. All kinds of guys from Matt Leinhart, Baker Mayfield, Jamarcus Russell, Dwayne Haskins, Manziel, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, etc....but not one of these guys put up a year like this one below.

Look at his games log...
- Rushing stats look great....but he ain't running the ball in NFL 12+ carries a game on designed runs. He's going to have to throw 25+ times.
- Find me the good passing games he put up (Vandy, Tennessee, and Texas AM is about it). The rest were decent to downright awful.

When is the last time we've seen a guy hyped this much that was pretty 'meh' in college. And he played a Florida. Not like he's doing this at Northwestern, Vandy, etc...

2022 REGULAR SEASONPASSINGRUSHING
DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%TDINTLNGSACKRTGQBRATTYDSAVGTDLNG
Fri 11/25@FSU16FSUL
45-38
Sat 11/19@VANVANL
31-24
Sat 11/12vsSCSCW
38-6
Sat 11/5@TA&MTA&MW
41-24
Sat 10/29vsUGA1UGAL
42-20
Sat 10/15vsLSULSUL
45-35
Sat 10/8vsMIZMIZW
24-17
Sun 10/2vsEWUEWUW
52-17
MOVED FROM OCT 1
Sat 9/24@TENN11TENNL
38-33
Sat 9/17vsUSFUSFW
31-28
Sat 9/10vsUK20UKL
26-16
Sat 9/3vsUTAH7UTAHW
29-26
TOTAL1763272,54953.81797814131.070.61036546.3981

NFLN has turned vile and personal on Levis. Seems he didn't perform well in his interviews, came across as "entitled" is the claim. I think translated that means he didn't kiss ass. This should give him great motivation.

Reactions: EliteBlue
If you want to say Levis will be a bust, or at the very least is a distant third behind Young and Stroud, then that’s fair. Colin Cowherd today said that Levis is more concerned with his physique than his football skills, and I can’t necessarily argue that.

But to dog out Levis while talking up Richardson… that’s just idiotic.
Interesting. Cowherd was in love with Levis a couple weeks ago.

NFLN has turned vile and personal on Levis. Seems he didn't perform well in his interviews, came across as "entitled" is the claim. I think translated that means he didn't kiss ass. This should give him great motivation.
That's shocking to me. I expected Levis to absolutely crush his interviews.

The biggest measurable for a successful QB is between the ears. It’s understanding, anticipation, desire, grit, leadership, etc.. It doesn’t matter how high a QB can jump or how far he can throw the ball if he is lacking in many of those areas.

Go crazy about a t-shirt and shorts superstar at your own peril. Turn on the tape and see how the guy performs with the lights on imo.

Last edited:

Lots of guys will look good when throwing against air, don't have to read a defense or run a progression. It's when he is pressured, has to read a defense and make decisions he falls apart.

9 games where he completed 60% or less. 17 TDs, 9 ints. I just shake my head. I've seen a lot of QBs that only had pedestrian stats that the team drafting them were super high on (Drew Lock with the Broncos for a recent one). I don't recall a QB who was so underwhelming being talked about a top 5 pick. Some GM is either going to be a genius or looking for work in a couple of years.

AR has physical attributes, for sure. But, college ball is way less sophisticated than the NFL. Coverages are much better disguised in the pros. Receivers rarely have a big cushion on the DB. Everybody is fast and those gaps close very quickly. If you can't complete 60-65% of your passes in the NFL, you're holding a clipboard until you become too expensive and then you're out of the league. AR better be a film junkie and be humble enough to soak in all the knowledge he can from coaches, other QBs, etc. Otherwise, I don't see him sticking around.

So I'm not the only one that thinks this AR hype train is more than a little bizarre. Good. I'm just watching this and thinking, these guys know a LOT more about this stuff than I do. So what am I missing here?

9 games where he completed 60% or less. 17 TDs, 9 ints. I just shake my head. I've seen a lot of QBs that only had pedestrian stats that the team drafting them were super high on (Drew Lock with the Broncos for a recent one). I don't recall a QB who was so underwhelming being talked about a top 5 pick. Some GM is either going to be a genius or looking for work in a couple of years.

AR has physical attributes, for sure. But, college ball is way less sophisticated than the NFL. Coverages are much better disguised in the pros. Receivers rarely have a big cushion on the DB. Everybody is fast and those gaps close very quickly. If you can't complete 60-65% of your passes in the NFL, you're holding a clipboard until you become too expensive and then you're out of the league. AR better be a film junkie and be humble enough to soak in all the knowledge he can from coaches, other QBs, etc. Otherwise, I don't see him sticking around.

In games, Drew Lock looked like Tom Brady compared to Richardson. Richardson looked awful except one maybe two games. Zero idea what anyone sees in him that would warrant anything better than round 3. I still thinks it's the bizarre social media campaign by his camp that's totally making a huge difference

Mcshay might be the worst talent evaluator on Earth. He had Matt Barkley as a first round pick for 4 years right up until mid season of his sr year. He just couldn't admit that he was a very average qb.

Folks it was inevitable.

Talking heads and front offices always fall in love with a freakish raw athlete with potential. Happens every year. Not always QB but there's always at least 1 if not multiple reaches in the first round for guys who are probably 3rd rounders in reality.

I mean Richardson is a first off the bus type of dude with unbelievable physical and athletic prowess. He looks like a top tier rush end, he runs like wr/rb...has an absolute cannon

I get it. If we're eyeballing it and going based off warmups, this dude is first pick in the sand lot, concrete court, back yard, etc...any sport...

I'm beginning to think that Levis stole McShay's girl or something. He definitely seems to have an axe to grind with Will for some reason.
....or maybe some of that AR15 agent money is making it to the ESPN talking heads.

I can't fathom a top pick for a kid with such bad tape....no matter how many sprints, long throws and back flips he does.

But who knows...the old adage holds: "A fool and his money........"

Good Luck Will Levis and GBB!

The biggest deal with WL is his turnovers, either he thinks he can get the ball to receivers covered because of his arm or he just doesn't see the field.
Agree - it may be both. The 'Brett Favre Syndrome': I have such a live arm I can fit the ball into any window. Will definitely needs to improve his vision and understanding PRESNAP where the ball most likely needs to go. Never saw that in Will's game at UK (although, it did appear to be a bit better under Coen than Scran but he also had almost no time to scan the field last year so there's that). One talking head, when talking about Brady, said 'he never gets greedy'. He said that Brady would throw the 5-yard underneath route 20 times in a row if that's all the defense was giving him. He never got anxious/greedy and forced the 15-yard seam pattern if it was obviously covered and the 5-yard underneath was open. Will needs more of that mindset. Every play doesn't have to be a highlight TD pass. 10 straight completions of 6 or 7 yards will score just as many points.

I'd bet the house this is disinformation put out by a team hoping Levis falls to them. It's not uncommon.
How does that work exactly?

Team A is interested in Levis and conducts an interview which goes well. Team B is also interested in Levis, but has a later pick and is worried Levis will be selected before their pick. So Team B decides to put out a false story about Levis interviewing poorly in the hopes that Levis will fall to them.

Are you saying that Team A will decide to pass on Levis simply because there’s a report saying Levis interviewed poorly, even though Team A knows that report is false because Team A conducted their own interview that went well?

What you’re suggesting seems rather far fetched, does it not?

The trashing of Levis is hilarious, and him dropping out of the 1st is ludicrous

It is simple math, 8 or 9 teams are shopping at drafting a QB to start over and rebuild around....only 4 guys are being recognized as having 1st round grades at QB. Even if Levis is now 4th behind Richardson, Young, Stroud that still will leave 5 or 6 teams needing to draft a QB.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
How does that work exactly?

Team A is interested in Levis and conducts an interview which goes well. Team B is also interested in Levis, but has a later pick and is worried Levis will be selected before their pick. So Team B decides to put out a false story about Levis interviewing poorly in the hopes that Levis will fall to them.

Are you saying that Team A will decide to pass on Levis simply because there’s a report saying Levis interviewed poorly, even though Team A knows that report is false because Team A conducted their own interview that went well?

What you’re suggesting seems rather far fetched, does it not?
Keep in mind Team B never publicly puts out the information. There's so many draft "experts" out there that all you have to do is leak your story to a few of them and let the gossip-mongers do the rest. Suddenly Team A starts wondering if they missed something, or "What do they know that we didn't pick up on?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-dirty-tricks-misinformation-norm/3528356002/

No doubt Levis has a high impression of himself. And the last year he did not live up to his own hype. So I can see where some teams would want him to be more humble.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Look no further than Jamarcus Russell. That's what happens when you draft off pro day workouts.
There is absolutely zero information that makes one lick of difference of a pro day workout. You just watched him using all those same attributes in 14 games this past season in live action, which set of date is more revealing as to how he will do Todd, this aint that hard.

If Todd came to the driving range with me and saw me hit wedges from a fluffy mat to targets 100 yards out he'd have me signed on an endorsment deal with Calloway! Then watch me shoot 92 my first time out on Lakeside.

Folks it was inevitable.

Talking heads and front offices always fall in love with a freakish raw athlete with potential. Happens every year. Not always QB but there's always at least 1 if not multiple reaches in the first round for guys who are probably 3rd rounders in reality.

I mean Richardson is a first off the bus type of dude with unbelievable physical and athletic prowess. He looks like a top tier rush end, he runs like wr/rb...has an absolute cannon

I get it. If we're eyeballing it and going based off warmups, this dude is first pick in the sand lot, concrete court, back yard, etc...any sport...
Dewayne Robertson. Dude was considered solid but went to the combine and everybody wigged out about his bench press reps or something. Shot up the boards. He was out of the league in fairly short order for a guy that had a ton of money invested in him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT