ADVERTISEMENT

To All The Chicken Littles Out There

A

anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

29-9 (10-6 SEC) Went On An 8 Game Winning Streak Starting With Tennessee March 6, 2011 Made The Final Four Falling To UCONN 56-55
1011.jpg

29-11 (12-6 SEC) Went 7-2 Starting With LSU March 14, 2014 Finished Runner-Up In National Title Game Falling To UCONN 60-54
9196218.jpeg

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I don't know what you think people are afraid of. I realize we aren't as good as everyone thought. Could we go on a run and make the Final 4? Sure.

Could we be favored vs K State and blow it? Also sure.

Reactions: STL_Cat and kl40504
29-9 (10-6 SEC) Went On An 8 Game Winning Streak Starting With Tennessee March 6, 2011 Made The Final Four Falling To UCONN 56-55
1011.jpg

29-11 (12-6 SEC) Went 7-2 Starting With LSU March 14, 2014 Finished Runner-Up In National Title Game Falling To UCONN 60-54
9196218.jpeg

I agree, but both of those teams had more talent than this one.

OP is correct. Our fan base does this every single season. And because Cal's teams normally finish the year better than they played through most of the regular season our fan base always forgets how frustrating the previous regular-seasons were.

2 seasons ago Fox, Monk, Bam team started great & then starting with the Louisville game did not play well again until right before season ended in time for post season. Folks said that team didn't care and we were basically ready for him to leave. But all folks remember is playing well in the tournament in losing the North Carolina in the Elite 8.

OP is correct. Our fan base does this every single season. And because Cal's teams normally finish the year better than they played through most of the regular season our fan base always forgets how frustrating the previous regular-seasons were.

2 seasons ago Fox, Monk, Bam team started great & then starting with the Louisville game did not play well again until right before season ended in time for post season. Folks said that team didn't care and we were basically ready for him to leave. But all folks remember is playing well in the tournament in losing the North Carolina in the Elite 8.

But there isnmt anyone close to Monk and Fox on this team , And not sure PJ or Reid equates to Bam .

Reactions: KyFaninNC
1011.jpg

9196218.jpeg
I wouldn't call myself a Chicken Little, but I would call myself a realist.
Those pictures you posted say it all. Look at the level of talent in your pics...Julius Randle, WCS, Poythress, Knight, Jones, Liggins. Which of the players on our current team would start over ANY of those players????
Randle>Johnson or Washington
WCS/Dakari>Richards
Poythress>Montgomery (May have a higher ceiling but not close yet)
Harrelson=Travis
Knight>any of our guards
Liggins>any of our guards
Lamb>any of our guards
Harrisons>any of our guards

I don't think many people are arguing that this team won't be better in March than they are now, nor that they couldn't make a deep run.

I do think people are just disappointed with where the team is now. They just aren't as good as many expected them to be, and that can be disappointing. Couple that with a epic beat down from a super hated rival and you will always have the fan base being pretty upset.

Most people thought that we were going to be what Duke looks to be this year, and we're mostly disappointed.

I saw the West Virgina game in Tampa during the NCAAs, UK was down 7-10 at half and I was hand wringing. My buddy said we got this and lets go get a hotdog and the rest is history.

But there isnmt anyone close to Monk and Fox on this team , And not sure PJ or Reid equates to Bam .
I think by the end of the year we will have an overall better front court this year and a weaker back court than the Fox team.
However we will have much more depth and experience than that team.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Many thought this team would be good, beat Duke, and destroy some teams from the jump.

Many were not prepared for another potential 9-10 loss, hope for an unexpected tournament run type season, which very well may be the case.

That's what we had just last year.

Hence why many are frustrated. Not that difficult to ascertain.

No one said there was. That's not the point...the point was the same cycle happens every year with Cal's teams regardless if there's elite talent or not. The only 2 seasons that were the exception was 2011-12 & 2014-15. And BTW, 2010-11 final 4 team did not have elite talent.

And BBN goes through the same cycle every season. If this team turns it around plays better & peaks in March then BBN experiuences amnesia & we go through the same bull next season.

AND....I make this post almost every single season.

I don't suppose so if he is a chronic negative nancy.

Sunshine pumpers gotta realize the hit our fans took in 2015 when we came up short in a year we were as close to a lock as possible. Subsequently we have not had near the team of that 2015 or really any year before with the exception of the nit season. Our fans are hungry and cal builds expectations then has immediate let downs. See kstate last year and duke this year. Since we lost to kstate last season expectations have been building and now instead of a preseason top 3 we look like a team to be fortunate to finish in the top 5 of the sec. this we will be good in March garbage has to stop bc honestly titles are won in nov, dec, Jan, and feb. it’s callled seeding and it’s something I don’t think our coach has put a premium on.

Reactions: susan2361

That team won it’s last 8 regular season games. They last 3 of 4 in late January/beginning of February, coinciding with Fox being hurt, IIRC.

But yes, the sky was certainly falling. That team still doesn’t get it’s just due, imo.

That Monk/Fox/Bam team finished the regular season 26-5 and I remember people in this fan base acting like we were 18-13. Anyone who thought this current team was going undefeated was just insane in the first place. Our schedule is too tough and the SEC is absolutely loaded. Wouldn't be surprised if we finish the season 25-6 (14-4). We're going to lose games. Just let the team mature and improve and by March nobody is gonna want to play us. Happens every year.

No one said there was. That's not the point...the point was the same cycle happens every year with Cal's teams regardless if there's elite talent or not. The only 2 seasons that were the exception was 2011-12 & 2014-15. And BTW, 2010-11 final 4 team did not have elite talent.

And BBN goes through the same cycle every season. If this team turns it around plays better & peaks in March then BBN experiuences amnesia & we go through the same bull next season.

AND....I make this post almost every single season.

We will see , but I do disagree , thats the entire gist of this thread , comparing this years team to past Ky teams , and you specifically brought up Monk and Fox and Bam .

That Monk/Fox/Bam team finished the regular season 26-5 and I remember people in this fan base acting like we were 18-13. Anyone who thought this current team was going undefeated was just insane in the first place. Our schedule is too tough and the SEC is absolutely loaded. Wouldn't be surprised if we finish the season 25-6 (14-4). We're going to lose games. Just let the team mature and improve and by March nobody is gonna want to play us. Happens every year.

Man I'd be THRILLED with that . My expectations are not absurd . Lose to Duke , OK , I can live with that , get doors blown off and allow 120 in the process , not so much . Then play rather poorly in 3 out of the next 4 , if we continue down this part it isnt going to lead to 14-4 in the SEC , or 6 overall losses . Thats best case scenario IMO . Hope it happens .

Sunshine pumpers gotta realize the hit our fans took in 2015 when we came up short in a year we were as close to a lock as possible. Subsequently we have not had near the team of that 2015 or really any year before with the exception of the nit season. Our fans are hungry and cal builds expectations then has immediate let downs. See kstate last year and duke this year. Since we lost to kstate last season expectations have been building and now instead of a preseason top 3 we look like a team to be fortunate to finish in the top 5 of the sec. this we will be good in March garbage has to stop bc honestly titles are won in nov, dec, Jan, and feb. it’s callled seeding and it’s something I don’t think our coach has put a premium on.
So instead of looking for the positives, you dwell on the negative? To you, the last chance we’ll ever have to win another title went down the drain in 2015. That’s a defeatist attitude. You would never make it in sales.

I dont think its fair to call people chicken little just because they're realists. 2011 and 2014 were nice endings to disappointing regular seasons, but they're still exceptions to the norm. Plus, the SEC is a lot better now than it was then. I think a lot of fans are tired of going through the "process" year in and year out. It used to be for every 2 seasons of Cal's team trying to put it together, there was a really good year to at least keep fan morale up. And now we're going on the fourth season of the team having struggles all regular season. It's not ridiculous because some people want a season they can enjoy all year long.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I dont think its fair to call people chicken little just because they're realists. 2011 and 2014 were nice endings to disappointing regular seasons, but they're still exceptions to the norm. Plus, the SEC is a lot better now than it was then. I think a lot of fans are tired of going through the "process" year in and year out. It used to be for every 2 seasons of Cal's team trying to put it together, there was a really good year to at least keep fan morale up. And now we're going on the fourth season of the team having struggles all regular season. It's not ridiculous because some people want a season they can enjoy all year long.
Where are all these chicken little apologists coming from?

So instead of looking for the positives, you dwell on the negative? To you, the last chance we’ll ever have to win another title went down the drain in 2015. That’s a defeatist attitude. You would never make it in sales.
Who said he would want to make it in sales? A lot of sales is blowing smoke up people's butts. And if you're a salesman, what would be easier to sell. A product made up of the best parts on the market that runs smoothly or a product that's made up of decent parts that doesn't run the best but can get the job done? To me I'd buy the better product.

Who said he would want to make it in sales? A lot of sales is blowing smoke up people's butts. And if you're a salesman, what would be easier to sell. A product made up of the best parts on the market that runs smoothly or a product that's made up of decent parts that doesn't run the best but can get the job done? To me I'd buy the better product.
A good salesman could sell you either.

Well I'm always going to go for the better product so there's less worry it breaks down. But I guess that makes me think the sky is falling since I dont think the other one is as reliable?

Well I'm always going to go for the better product so there's less worry it breaks down. But I guess that makes me think the sky is falling since I dont think the other one is as reliable?
You took my sales comment and ran the wrong way with it. The point I was making is the poster has already given up on winning another title since we didn’t win it in ‘15. A good salesman is always optimistic and never has a defeatist attitude.

1011.jpg

9196218.jpeg
So what that means nothing, happened before dont mean it will happen again but whatever gives you hope

There's a lot of season left to play fellas. I wouldn't go jumping off any bridges just yet. We've got a whole string of games coming up against cupcakes. Hopefully during this time period we develop, find an identity, gain some confidence and are ready to take things to another level by the time we play Carolina.

This is competition. There are no assurances. If you thought we had more talent and that brought an expectation, you know crap about basketball. That is the whiners problem, not the teams.

I wouldn't call myself a Chicken Little, but I would call myself a realist.
Those pictures you posted say it all. Look at the level of talent in your pics...Julius Randle, WCS, Poythress, Knight, Jones, Liggins. Which of the players on our current team would start over ANY of those players????
Randle>Johnson or Washington
WCS/Dakari>Richards
Poythress>Montgomery (May have a higher ceiling but not close yet)
Harrelson=Travis
Knight>any of our guards
Liggins>any of our guards
Lamb>any of our guards
Harrisons>any of our guards
Exactly ,the only thing those photos show is huge difference in talent , then and now .

There's a lot of season left to play fellas. I wouldn't go jumping off any bridges just yet. We've got a whole string of games coming up against cupcakes. Hopefully during this time period we develop, find an identity, gain some confidence and are ready to take things to another level by the time we play Carolina.
We will be severely tested by Seton Hall and Utah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT