ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback Tuesday to one of the worst calls ever made

To be fair, it was the right call. He slammed the ball on the ground without letting it bounce back into his hand. I have seen it called elsewhere every single time it has happened. That was tough tho.

To be fair, it was the right call. He slammed the ball on the ground without letting it bounce back into his hand. I have seen it called elsewhere every single time it has happened. That was tough tho.
I saw a player do it in a game last week out of frustration and not excitement. They didn't even try to catch the ball and there was no technical assessed.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
This is one of the games that had me raging. We earned that win. This screwed our seed and we ended up a 4 in the bracket of death, where we should've got AM 3 seed. We're beat them for the sec championship. Like they couldn't have switched us real quick. That sec title game was epic too.

I won’t disagree on it being the right call. However, I’ve seen it happen in multiple games since and have yet to see it called. I was watching some game this year, forgot who it was, but some player slammed the ball down with way more force than Hump. No call, and the ref was standing right there and just picked the ball back up like nothing happened.

I was at a concert during this game and remember keeping up with the google score on my phone. I remember thinking we had it won and then was so confused by the sudden change in score. When I saw the highlights the next day I couldn't believe it.

I have seen that happen 100 times and called only one other time ever. It was a horrible horrible call. Hell it was been talked about during games that have nothing to do with UK even this year. I remember Bilas brought it up when it happened in some game this year ( the only other time I ever seen it called) and Bilas was talking about what a joke it was.

Reactions: wccat2969
I've seen this happen 2 or 3 times this year and it hasn't been called. One player missed a free throw a week or two ago and slammed the ball twice, second time it bounced higher than the top of the backboard and no one batted an eye. The announcers didn't even mention it.

Reactions: FltDoc
well, you've addressed the more energy part anyway. That was tongue in cheek, by the way - my guess is if I combed through those posts what I'd see is 99% blasting of the ref and an occasional post blaming Humphries.

BTW, how did you do a search to find the front page as of a specific date?

No, it wasn't the right call. There is not even a specific rule that states that it is a technical foul for a player to do this. Typically, it might be called because the player might be mad at an official and showing their anger with this type of force. However, we know that was not the case with Hump... he was excited and showed it by this slam. So, in this instance, the discretion for the referee should have been to ignore it, or give Hump a warning or to make him go get the ball, but the technical was not necessary and changed the game.

That game was a blast. My dad and I took a gamble and bought SECT championship tix right before our semi-final game. We won that, and drove from Louisville to Nashville for the game. A memory I’ll always keep.
Yeah not that the Ulis/Murray team was amazing but it was such a crock that we were seeded 4th and IU seeded 5th . UK should of been the 3 seed and IU a 4 seed . Last time we have not gotten the seed we have deserved IMO though as the committee has gotten better and in no surprise it coincided with them starting to share the top 16 seeds in early Feb.

Reactions: jrpross
well, you've addressed the more energy part anyway. That was tongue in cheek, by the way - my guess is if I combed through those posts what I'd see is 99% blasting of the ref and an occasional post blaming Humphries.

Post from the usual suspects bashing Humphries (jc cats called him an idiot), and kyjeff not happy that Ulis ONLY had 22pts/11 assist (cuz he had 4 turnovers including OT).

Reactions: Mojocat
I was at that game.
It was wall to wall with blue. I’d recommend any UK fan do their best to attend an SECT championship game. Rowdy environment.

Yeah not that the Ulis/Murray team was amazing but it was such a crock that we were seeded 4th and IU seeded 5th . UK should of been the 3 seed and IU a 4 seed . Last time we have not gotten the seed we have deserved IMO though as the committee has gotten better and in no surprise it coincided with them starting to share the top 16 seeds in early Feb.
100% we got screwed that year. I remember being on such a high after winning, then on the drive home the brackets started to leak. It went from joy to being pissed off. If memory is correct, AM ended up getting a three seed out west. While we were a 4 with iu our 5, and then unc as the one.

Was not the right call at all. You can’t take context out of the equation as an official. Had he slammed the ball after a bad call in frustration or even a bad play on his part then it would have been understandable. Just securing a big rebound and drawing a foul call which, for the moment, sealed the win, had to allow to latitude there for the excitement. Also not as if he just spiked it like a football, it was a 2 hand slam fail to grab little burst. Only a POS would make that call in that situation.

Why would slamming the ball be a technical anyway? Is this kindergarten? At least just give a warning the first time.

I just went forward from last page. Stop every 100 pages or so to check date.

Or muggles can use the search function.

Reactions: Mojocat
I saw a player do it in a game last week out of frustration and not excitement. They didn't even try to catch the ball and there was no technical assessed.

I don’t know if it was the same game but I saw the same thing. Guy slammed it and by reflex I thought wow he is getting a tech....but nope not a peep.

Just a long line of getting deep-dicked by the SEC/NCAA.

Between that, and not including the SECT Final over TA&M, Kentucky would have been 27-7, with two Q1 wins instead of one Q1 loss. So right off the bat, Kentucky takes TA&M's 3-seed. We move from the 15th overall team to somewhere in the 11 to 10 range.. and we're playing someone like Texas/ND/Zona/SH.. Very likely we grab the Sweet16. Then you're looking at Xavier/MSU/Okla/Nova.. Hard games, but two of them lost before opening weekend.

A lot changed with that call.

I actually saw it happen earlier this year with no technical being called and the announcer (I think it was Jay Bilas) even mentioned that he guessed that was only a technical when UK did it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT