ADVERTISEMENT

Throw away year

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
Watching the elite 8 teams makes me realize next year is a throw away year. No way in hell we get to that level. Unless we have a biblical transfer portal class. And that ain’t happening. These freshman gonna start next year. So we need to be prepared. This is gonna get nasty. And the pressure for Barnhart to make a home run hire will double over this year. Call it Calflation.

Watching the elite 8 teams makes me realize next year is a throw away year. No way in hell we get to that level. Unless we have a biblical transfer portal class. And that ain’t happening. These freshman gonna start next year. So we need to be prepared. This is gonna get nasty. And the pressure for Barnhart to make a home run hire will double over this year. Call it Calflation.
Any ideas for a coach? Oh we may have already discussed that. It jumped the shark when the Louisville women's coach was suggested

Agree, outside Reed returning and nabbing several Knecht/Newton types in the portal…we’re in for a long year of Fland/Richmond bricking threes and watching Cal trot out a Cyril-Quaintance-Knox frontcourt that will make the lane resemble a Thanksgiving Day toilet.

It’s a strange thing. We were at that level for much of the year. Our wins were as good as anyone’s. It wasn’t until March that we shit the bed. This is the part that pisses me off so much.

As far as next year no one can realistically make any predictions at all since we don’t even know the roster. I mean, one has to assume the coaching will suck but even still, we don’t know the roster.

It’s a strange thing. We were at that level for much of the year. Our wins were as good as anyone’s. It wasn’t until March that we shit the bed. This is the part that pisses me off so much.

As far as next year no one can realistically make any predictions at all since we don’t even know the roster. I mean, one has to assume the coaching will suck but even still, we don’t know the roster.
I can predict cal will start undeserving freshman who underperform, uk ends up a 6 seed, and gets bounced in the first weekend of the ncaa tournament by a senior laden team.

I somewhat disagree regarding watching all the teams in the elite 8. Look at the scores of most of these games. In the 50’s and 60’s. All Kentucky would have had to do is have a decent defense, not great, not even good.

We’ll that, and a coach who played the best players/lineups and actually prepared for the opponent.

The only thing I can hope is that Mitch has a guy, but for whatever reason, he couldn't pull the trigger on it this year. There is simply no logic that makes me even hope next year will be better than this one.
Mitch wasn’t prepared. He never expected the boosters to come to him with the money. Now he knows. Cal is a lame duck.

Throw away ??? We got some real winners in our fanbase. Smh

We did have some good wins this year. We also became the first team in Kentucky history to lose 3 consecutive games at Rupp Arena, lost at home to unc wilmington (I think that’s who it was at least) and lost 10 games this season. Handful of good wins, but not a good season overall

Reactions: TM2013 and KYFOSSIL
We did have some good wins this year. We also became the first team in Kentucky history to lose 3 consecutive games at Rupp Arena, lost at home to unc wilmington (I think that’s who it was at least) and lost 10 games this season. Handful of good wins, but not a good season overall
I thought we had really turned a corner. We won about 7-8 straight that culminated with the win at Tenn. I was ready to forgive the bad losses. We were one of the hottest teams in the country. Then when it mattered we pissed down our leg. I havnt been this frustrated since the wiscy game

Reactions: TM2013
I thought we had really turned a corner. We won about 7-8 straight that culminated with the win at Tenn. I was ready to forgive the bad losses. We were one of the hottest teams in the country. Then when it mattered we pissed down our leg. I havnt been this frustrated since the wiscy game
Well, I agree we were playing better. But just to be clear we didn’t win more than 5 in a row at any point once conference play started. We didn’t have a 7-8 game win streak at any point in the season.

Reactions: TM2013 and ck-2
The last 4 years have been thrown away. I’m afraid Barney will be satisfied if we make a sweet sixteen next year: if we kill it in the transfer portal we can talk. That’s the new frontier of cbb which is its own model: screw the nba “modern basketball” sht. Duke just won a game in the 50s. You have to be able to win 4 or 5 different ways.

Agree, outside Reed returning and nabbing several Knecht/Newton types in the portal…we’re in for a long year of Fland/Richmond bricking threes and watching Cal trot out a Cyril-Quaintance-Knox frontcourt that will make the lane resemble a Thanksgiving Day toilet.
If cal trots out that front court I’m probably going to lose my mind lol

I somewhat disagree regarding watching all the teams in the elite 8. Look at the scores of most of these games. In the 50’s and 60’s. All Kentucky would have had to do is have a decent defense, not great, not even good.

We’ll that, and a coach who played the best players/lineups and actually prepared for the opponent.
I wish I could get on board with your thinking, but we've seen our freshmen meltdown too many times over the years in Cal's system.

SGA's closeout game: 2/10 from the field.
John Wall's closeout game: 7/18 from the field.
Eric Bledsoe: 3/9.
Reed Sheppard: 1/5
Rob Dillingham: 2/9
DJ Wagner: 0/5
Brandon Knight: 6/23
James Young: 5/13
Julius Randle: 3/7
Andrew Harrison: 3/9
Aaron Harrison: 3/7
Jamal Murray: 7/18
Bam Adebayo: 4/10
Malik Monk: 4/10
De'Aaron Fox: 5/14
Skal Labissiere: 2/6
Dakari Johnson: 2/5
Justin Edwards 4/9
PJ Washington 8/20 from the free throw line
Hamidou Diallo: 1/4
Tyler Herro: 3/11
Keldon Johnson: 5/13
Ashton Hagans: 7 turnovers
Ty Ty Washington: 2/10
Chris Livingston: 5/13

DeMarcus Cousins: 6/11
Kevin Knox: 5/10
Doron Lamb: 5/10
Terrence Jones: 5/8
Cason Wallace: 9/11

Well, I agree we were playing better. But just to be clear we didn’t win more than 5 in a row at any point once conference play started. We didn’t have a 7-8 game win streak at any point in the season.
From the LSU loss to the Tenn win is the stretch I’m talking about. I was going off memory. We were 7 of 8 with a 5 game streak and road wins at Auburn and Tenn and a bama blowout. That was a pretty good run. I was feeling good.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell

I somewhat disagree with the decent defense comment. We let Oakland score 80 points. We’d have to improve that by 25 points to beat North Carolina state in next game.

I haven’t seen a sweet sixteen team we’d beat. Not one. It’s more than a decent defense. It’s rebounding. It’s wanting it. It’s pulling your team mate up off the floor. It’s not worry about your draft position. Cal has so coddled these kids with feelings and bowling outings. It’s embarrassing.

I gave up on Cal after that 9-16 season - the worst since 1927. But dumb me. This season with such a stacked roster - the experienced leadership of Reeves and Tre and such a dynamic freshmen class I fell victim to false hope one last time. That will never happen again. It is almost criminal the salary Cal receives and his results the past many years. Has he no self respect? As for Mitch, in a world away from college athletics he would be an abject failure and some street person wandering around aimlessly.

Interesting comments. I am inclined to agree. Time marches on.

We were a better year thsn all other than Uconn this year . Had no focus, discipline, or leadership. An eventually that built up over time to make the team play panic ball in post season

Yet Cal called it a special season. ☹️
Another 10 loss season. Losses to UNCW, LSU and Oakland. Three losses in a row in Rupp. No SEC regular season title or SECT win. Another winless NCAAT. And that was with an experienced All American and two lottery picks.

Hardly a good season let alone a great season. He’s such a used car salesman.

We played our best basketball when Tre was a cheerleader. When he came back and he played lots of minutes we looked like a different team.

That's because Cal doesn't look at team efficiency lineups. Clearly. 1 of our worst lineups was our starting lineup.

Next season will likely be a throw away. I've said this several times that I feel bad for those players already. Not only will the microscope burn hotter than ever, from BBN and nationally, they will literally be playing for Mitch and Cal's jobs.

Last edited:
Surely this is the year a bunch of mediocre overhyped freshmen playing unlimited minutes will get the job done for Cowl lol. Clown show program.

Even if Kentucky loads up on the portal, there will still be an adjustment period for these new guys coming into the program for Calipari. Nearly an entire roster of newcomers with 6 being freshmen. I think there has to be a major return like Reed and another year of DJ significantly improving to come back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT