ADVERTISEMENT

Three 5Star Centers remaining in the portal

Personally, I think Jamarion Sharp is an intriguing option given his defensive #'s. The guy grew like 8 inches a few yrs ago. It's probably taken some time to adjust to his body but he already had decent fundamentals.
He'd definitely help with lob actions offensively and block/alter plenty of shots on the defensive end. 12-18 mpg and he'd likely be a positive +/-. That style of player would fit in nicely along side our backcourt guys.

I hope the staff is talking to Cisse just in case.
It would be wise if they were but as the above poster mentioned about Sharp,maybe going with a committee approach wouldn't be all that bad if Oscar doesn't return or Dickinson goes to Kansas or Villanova...Cisse or Sharp to go with Onyenso and Ware as a 3rd center might work.None would be considered as a first option on offense but defense and rebounding and blocks would help.Of course somebody else may enter the portal before May 11

Reactions: dl51344
Personally, I think Jamarion Sharp is an intriguing option given his defensive #'s. The guy grew like 8 inches a few yrs ago. It's probably taken some time to adjust to his body but he already had decent fundamentals.
He'd definitely help with lob actions offensively and block/alter plenty of shots on the defensive end. 12-18 mpg and he'd likely be a positive +/-. That style of player would fit in nicely along side our backcourt guys.
I was about to say this. We would DEFINITELY have a rim protector with him!

Reactions: c1doc and dl51344
It would be wise if they were but as the above poster mentioned about Sharp,maybe going with a committee approach wouldn't be all that bad if Oscar doesn't return or Dickinson goes to Kansas or Villanova...Cisse or Sharp to go with Onyenso and Ware as a 3rd center might work.None would be considered as a first option on offense but defense and rebounding and blocks would help.Of course somebody else may enter the portal before May 11
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the “by committee” approach be successful under Cal. First, he promises minutes and has a short rotation. Second, I don’t think Sharp is very talented. He 7’5 and can’t score points playing for WKU. He’s ok on boards and defense but I attribute that more to his height and wingspan than his skill level. 3rd, having 3 average-below average centers play “by committee” doesn’t interest me as much as playing 1 talented center with an average back up.

If we don’t get Dickinson, Oscar doesn’t return, and Cisse isn’t immediately eligible if rather just start and ride Ugo so he can develop throughout the season and hopefully be ready by March. He has potential but he’ll likely need a lot of game time to work out the kinks

Reactions: EastLansingCat
If no Oscar or HD would love sharp. 8 blocks a game would be nice to watch. He wouldn't need to score just stop other team from scoring at the rim.

Reactions: Catfan2226
I don’t think I’ve ever seen the “by committee” approach be successful under Cal. First, he promises minutes and has a short rotation. Second, I don’t think Sharp is very talented. He 7’5 and can’t score points playing for WKU. He’s ok on boards and defense but I attribute that more to his height and wingspan than his skill level. 3rd, having 3 average-below average centers play “by committee” doesn’t interest me as much as playing 1 talented center with an average back up.

If we don’t get Dickinson, Oscar doesn’t return, and Cisse isn’t immediately eligible if rather just start and ride Ugo so he can develop throughout the season and hopefully be ready by March. He has potential but he’ll likely need a lot of game time to work out the kinks
I've seen a lot of things be unsuccessful under Calipari over the last 5 seasons.

If only Ware could hit a free throw he plays hard any chance Cal been working with him on them no way i forgot he dont do that

Reactions: KFuqua
I’m still convinced that the most likely outcome for another premier post player being added to the roster is someone not in the portal yet rather than Oscar returning or Dickinson coming. I’m guessing there are players seeing their value in back channels before going in the portal before the deadline coming up.

You realize we'd inevitably be playing Ware like 15 mpg if we go into the season with just Ugo and Ware at center. Ugo isn't going to be a 32 minute guy yet. Foul trouble alone will prevent that.

• Sad
Reactions: bookerfan66
I like Sharp, for what he is. But he is basically Onyenso, which we already have for next year.
So if Oscar leaves and we miss out on Dickinson, I say try to convince Collins to return.

If Tshiebwe is gone and Dickinson goes elsewhere and there is any chance Cisse can get a waiver, then he needs to be the next target, IMHO.

We have to get another option at the 5. Onyenso and Ware are not enough.

If we don’t get anyone else, then Cal might be forced to play small ball with Bradshaw at the 5.

But this is Cal we are talking about and he doesn’t do small ball, so forget that, we need another Center.

If only Ware could hit a free throw he plays hard any chance Cal been working with him on them no way i forgot he dont do that
I would not be opposed, if we had to, to playing Ware 10-15mpg IF HE COULD MAKE A FT. But he can't. If he gets the ball it's a Turnover 1/2 of the time with him either missing his shot or getting fouled and then missing those.
I mean come on dude, try them underhanded (like RP had I think Riddick try) or left handed or hypnosis or women's underwear or something different. I am 53, not shot a ball in 4-8 years, and can guarantee you I could make at least 6 out of 10 even under pressure (I win $1000 if I make them, I pay $1000 if I don't).

Or, is that because he thinks we will have either Oscar or Dickinson?
I don't know really.I think with all he has had happen to him this last year that playing closer to family is what he wants and I understand,I get it.Wish him the best.

I like Sharp, for what he is. But he is basically Onyenso, which we already have for next year.
So if Oscar leaves and we miss out on Dickinson, I say try to convince Collins to return.

I think that would be the point. They could both get about 15 minutes each. If Dickinson doesn't commit here, we should go hard into either a defensive center like Sharp or Cisse. Cisse led the B12 in blocks per game and was 4th in Defensive Box +/-, while Sharp was more effective defensively, but in the worser conference, CUSA.

Alternately, we could go for a polished PF type. Nkamhoua would be the ideal fit at PF, with Bradshaw shifting over to center. Nkamhoua has shot 36.4% on 3s for his college career and can get 5-6 RPG perhaps to help with Bradshaw slight figure for a 7 footer. Nkamhoua has the size that Livingston doesn't to be a true 4.

I think that would be the point. They could both get about 15 minutes each. If Dickinson doesn't commit here, we should go hard into either a defensive center like Sharp or Cisse. Cisse led the B12 in blocks per game and was 4th in Defensive Box +/-, while Sharp was more effective defensively, but in the worser conference, CUSA.

Alternately, we could go for a polished PF type. Nkamhoua would be the ideal fit at PF, with Bradshaw shifting over to center. Nkamhoua has shot 36.4% on 3s for his college career and can get 5-6 RPG perhaps to help with Bradshaw slight figure for a 7 footer. Nkamhoua has the size that Livingston doesn't to be a true 4.
I agree

If Tshiebwe is gone and Dickinson goes elsewhere and there is any chance Cisse can get a waiver, then he needs to be the next target, IMHO.

We have to get another option at the 5. Onyenso and Ware are not enough.

If we don’t get anyone else, then Cal might be forced to play small ball with Bradshaw at the 5.

But this is Cal we are talking about and he doesn’t do small ball, so forget that, we need another Center.

You would think the sitting out would deter these guys, but there are so many that would be expected to sit out that I am not sure they actually will have to. Also, for Cisse specifically, it's possible he can graduate early like Olivier Sarr did. He is finishing his Junior year of college.

We have two rim protectors let's go after some good 3 point shooters or a strong small forward who can drive and shoot.

You would think the sitting out would deter these guys, but there are so many that would be expected to sit out that I am not sure they actually will have to. Also, for Cisse specifically, it's possible he can graduate early like Olivier Sarr did. He is finishing his Junior year of college.
That’s true. He probably doesn’t enter the portal again, if he would have to sit.

I would be excited to add Cisse to the roster. Sounds like exactly what we need and I think Cal recruited him out of HS and again when he was in the portal the first time.

He’s a shot blocker and solid rebounder with P5 minutes under his belt. With the weapons we have at the 1-4 spots, his lack of offensive punch wouldn’t hurt too badly. We need another shot blocker, I just don’t think Onyenso is ready.

We need the kid from UT today. We basically have no big forwards. Bradshaw still has to prove himself. Talent level has dropped severely over the last few years. Bring this kid in.
If we miss on Oscar and Hunter I would prefer we get this guy for the 4 and let Aaron/Ugo split the 5.

Reactions: sosoblue
We need another shot blocker, I just don’t think Onyenso is ready.

Likewise, I think Onyenso would be fine coming off the bench next year behind Cisse and he would be much more likely to be part of the rotation as well. I would love to see Onyenso here for his junior year. I think he will be very good by then, Jr Magloire-level perhaps.

I’m still convinced that the most likely outcome for another premier post player being added to the roster is someone not in the portal yet rather than Oscar returning or Dickinson coming. I’m guessing there are players seeing their value in back channels before going in the portal before the deadline coming up.
Yeah, but Cal can't take that chance.
If he doesn't get Hunter and Oscar doesn't return, next years team could end up with a very noticeable fatal flaw.
Cal can't assume some epic center is going to head to the portal, most players worth their salt, don't transfer. Dickinson might be the best 5 we'll see.

Yuck. That’s death on a stick right there.
Onyenso is a project, Ware is… .and Collins is afraid of his own shadow, it would be a nightmare if we had to rely on those three.
I would rather see Cal grab a proven 5 man out of the portal. There are 3 good ones in there right now.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
You realize we'd inevitably be playing Ware like 15 mpg if we go into the season with just Ugo and Ware at center. Ugo isn't going to be a 32 minute guy yet. Foul trouble alone will prevent that.
I do realize that! You must’ve stopped reading my post when I said that my end goal was for him to improve over the duration of the season.

Regardless of who we being in aware is going to play. Cal proved that last season. I’m not sure why anyone would have any confidence in Cal playing the best or most impactful players after last season when the entire nation was calling him out from the fans to the media talking heads but you do you.

Reactions: Catfan2226
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT