ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker's coach just on Jerry Eaves show

Originally posted by ncaaky:
That interview is a tape from the very beginning of December when he was visiting Louisville. He has since crossed UL from consideration and UK has started to put the full court press on him.
So did ,Eaves play this to try and "get the hopes up" (ie : fool) UofL fan in order to think they had a shot?

Love the Platoon System. Hope it's here to stay. Fan support for platooning will cause Cal to adopt the Platoon System long-term - assuming he can continue to have a roster of at least 10 pretty good players. So, if it's true that Maker doesn't like the Platoon System, then I guess he'll have to move along.

i didn't read every response so forgive if someone else said this. If you asked any of our 9 rotation players 10 if you include Alex still high school or AAU coaches or whatever if the player would rather play 35 minutes or 20 minutes a game the answer would be universal for the 35 so to me that's a non story. I also think it's naive to say we won't platoon again next year. We don't know who is going to be on the team and who isn't. We will most certainly have 9-10 guys next year who should be playing lots of minutes unless who lose absolutely everyone.

I have never seen Thon play but have seen a few photos of him and it looks like he needs a lot of work in the weight room.

Originally posted by musrat59:

I have never seen Thon play but have seen a few photos of him and it looks like he needs a lot of work in the weight room.
he is awesome. However I want to see his game translate to college/pros. People have compared him to Kevin Durant he is not that at all. Kevin Garnett is more in the mold that Maker is but neither is an exact comparison. The thing he does compare to them both in is that he could hit the weights for 10 years and he is going to be skin and bones that's his build.

It's going to be hard to keep from platooning next year if Kentucky returns some guys and adds two more this spring....

1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Matthews
4. Newman
5. Booker
6. Hawkins
7. Poythress
8. Lee
9. Zimmerman/Maker/Swanigan
10. Skal

I think Matthews will be ready to contribute next season, and Hawkins is only going to get better. The only way I don't see the platoon happening is if Booker leaves for the NBA this summer. Then Cal would have 9 really good guys, and find a way to shorten the rotation to 8.

Thon will work hard wherever he goes, bank on it. The kid has a drive to be great.

His coach said he is pretty ripped but does need to bulk up, his frame might not let him do that for a while though.

We can't possibly see the world through Maker's lens. He comes from Sudan where those who didn't starve to death may have been killed in a brutal civil war. Kids like him tend to be on a mission to help their family and their home country. (I realize Maker's family got the hell out of Sudan and emigrated to Australia) Doesn't matter. These young people have a different view of life than the Snoop Dog generation here in the USA. He will work his tail off to succeed. He will be respectful, listen, go to class and otherwise be a model citizen. The only African kid I can remember who got into any trouble was Jules Camara, who drank a beer and got suspended by Tubby. BTW, the civil war in Sudan is between the Arab Muslim North and African Christian South. It eventually resulted in the division of the country into two separate countries.

Originally posted by musrat59:

From seeing his mix tapes, I really want this kid at UK

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

It's going to be hard to keep from platooning next year if Kentucky returns some guys and adds two more this spring....

1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Matthews
4. Newman
5. Booker
6. Hawkins
7. Poythress
8. Lee
9. Zimmerman/Maker/Swanigan
10. Skal

I think Matthews will be ready to contribute next season, and Hawkins is only going to get better. The only way I don't see the platoon happening is if Booker leaves for the NBA this summer. Then Cal would have 9 really good guys, and find a way to shorten the rotation to 8.
I think Booker goes pro.

Originally posted by wild mandu:
It's possible the whole platoon thing turns off some recruits for this recruiting cycle, then they jump back on board next time around when they realize Cal will never do it again.
A great player like Maker likes to play a lot AND win every game.

ADVERTISEMENT