ADVERTISEMENT

Thon Maker's coach just on Jerry Eaves show

SilentsAreGolden

All-American
Dec 12, 2007
He talked about his game, how he would fit in on either UL or UK, but when asked about the platoon system he said Maker would not like it. Said he likes to play a lot. TTFWIW. Also, Eaves kept calling him Thong, and referred to Diallo as Diablo.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
He talked about his game, how he would fit in on either UL or UK, but when asked about the platoon system he said Maker would not like it. Said he likes to play a lot. TTFWIW. Also, Eaves kept calling him Thong, and referred to Diallo as Diablo.
Cal adapts every season. Platooning this years means nothing for next year. Besides, like Cal says. "UK is not for everybody".

We shall see. The problem with this message board is that some of our posters will take the information shared in this thread and use it for the rest of the winter and spring as a backdrop to why UK has no chance for Maker.

A compilation of anecdotal evidence becomes group-think on this message board, which somehow turns into concrete fact.

It's possible the whole platoon thing turns off some recruits for this recruiting cycle, then they jump back on board next time around when they realize Cal will never do it again.

and referred to Diallo as Diablo
laugh.r191677.gif

I doubt there will be any platooning next year anyway, but my question is this -- would he rather play a lot, or would he rather win every game? If the answer is "play a lot" I don't want him anyway.

Originally posted by wild mandu:
It's possible the whole platoon thing turns off some recruits for this recruiting cycle, then they jump back on board next time around when they realize Cal will never do it again.
That's true, and some recruits actually like the idea of competition and getting better against great players. Depends on the particular kid.

Originally posted by Seth C:
I doubt there will be any platooning next year anyway, but my question is this -- would he rather play a lot, or would he rather win every game? If the answer is "play a lot" I don't want him anyway.
Great point.

Important to keep in mind that this kind of stuff gets hashed out behind the scenes way before we ever hear those involved talk about it. It's not like today was the first time Maker's camp has considered it or that Cal has heard from a recruit about it.

thats a UL fan response. you think wall, cousins, davis didnt want to play a lot and win games?

to me its a matter of competition....i want guys on the team that want to compete and if another guy beats them out for PT, they still compete to get better to get those minutes. wall, davis, booker, etc....all these guys compete.

The way I feel.

Whether we'll platoon next year or not, if the idea is good enough for the kids who are making this year's team legendary but it's not good enough for you, Move On.

the real test will be - is there a cost to the individual player in this platoon system?

If Willie Cauley Stein was getting 30 minutes a game, would he be the runaway winner of the Wooden Award?

If Karl Towns was getting 30 minutes a game, would he be picked ahead of Okafor in the draft?

While I love the platoon system and the players for making the sacrifice, we have to be honest here, they are all doing it with the implied promise that it will not hold them back in any way.

If it does turn out that the sacrifice these players make for the team effects them in any way for the draft, then I can see a coach easily swaying a player like Thon Maker into going elsewhere

Another issue is a player like Willis who is still waiting for his moment of glory in a UK uniform that paves the way for him to go to the NBA.

Its really a unique problem to have - a guy that's 12th on your bench who would be starting for every team in the NCAA with the exception of maybe 3 others

Finally, will having limited minutes hurt the Harrison twins in a platoon system where Ulis gets to come in off the bench and play high energy and be very selective with his shots as opposed to Cal keeping them in and playing thru their mistakes to end up with a decent stat line?

The thing of it is - its so surreal at this point that we even consider the above as issues - there simply has never been a team like this that I can remember, and it will only be an issue again if Cal returns a core group.

I think we can say Poythress will be back along with Willis, Lee , Hawkins and Ulis.

Right now I'd say the twins would be back based on their play but I can't imagine them returning.

This post was edited on 1/19 2:02 PM by TankedCat

Elite talent is elite talent. Blackmon was listed as one of Vitale's diaper dandys, and not Booker. So, which do you want to play for, Indiana or Kentucky? Who will be the better player in the end and who is having the better college basketball life experience? Who has a shot at a national title and who doesn't?

I don't think the issue is anything Cal can't handle. We've seen that he has the ability to recruit anyone, from anywhere, regardless of who is in the current lineup. He doesn't always get who he wants, but he's also been remarkably lucky in that many of those misses either didn't pan out, or had various issues. I stopped worrying about recruiting altogether. If we don't get Maker, we will get someone else and be just fine.

I'm not really worried about it.

why?

Because I'm sure Cal is.

And he'll find a solution to it

Originally posted by TankedCat:
the real test will be - is there a cost to the individual player in this platoon system?

If Willie Cauley Stein was getting 30 minutes a game, would he be the runaway winner of the Wooden Award?

If Karl Towns was getting 30 minutes a game, would he be picked ahead of Okafor in the draft?

While I love the platoon system and the players for making the sacrifice, we have to be honest here, they are all doing it with the implied promise that it will not hold them back in any way.

If it does turn out that the sacrifice these players make for the team effects them in any way for the draft, then I can see a coach easily swaying a player like Thon Maker into going elsewhere

It comes down to efficiency numbers. Guys who came off their team's benches like Corey Maggette and Marvin Williams went high in the draft based on production per minutes, not overwhelming numbers. If gms love Towns more than Okafor, they will draft him ahead of Okafor, and it will have little to do with who is averaging more points and rebounds per game.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

It comes down to efficiency numbers. Guys who came off their team's benches like Corey Maggette and Marvin Williams went high in the draft based on production per minutes, not overwhelming numbers. If gms love Towns more than Okafor, they will draft him ahead of Okafor, and it will have little to do with who is averaging more points and rebounds per game.
well its not just points and rebounds for minutes played and projected out but I understand your point.

First of all, Maker's coach has very little influence on where Maker will go to school.

Second, Cal has said many times that the platoon is a fluke. What he has shown this year via the platoon is that if you deserve to play, he is going to get you on the floor. I do think fans are overestimating how many guys Cal will sign though.

Third, because of Maker's physique, he's going to be better off going somewhere that 1) is not going to play him at center, and 2) would not of necessity have to keep him on the floor 40 minutes a game.

He is not a physical enforcer by any means. Imagine him going up against Texas' frontline. Brutal.

Originally posted by BostonCat2001:
thats a UL fan response. you think wall, cousins, davis didnt want to play a lot and win games?

to me its a matter of competition....i want guys on the team that want to compete and if another guy beats them out for PT, they still compete to get better to get those minutes. wall, davis, booker, etc....all these guys compete.
I think every good player wants to play a lot. That's why I very specifically posed the question, would you rather win or would you rather play a lot? If getting PT is more important to you than winning, no...not interested.

Originally posted by Cat Ballou:

Third, because of Maker's physique, he's going to be better off going somewhere that 1) is not going to play him at center, and 2) would not of necessity have to keep him on the floor 40 minutes a game.

He is not a physical enforcer by any means. Imagine him going up against Texas' frontline. Brutal.
Yeah, his coach did say that he was a 4, so your assessment seems to be accurate.

Originally posted by thecatsareback#8:
Its really a unique problem to have - a guy that's 12th on your bench who would be starting for every team in the NCAA with the exception of maybe 3 others

ec
I haven't read the Willis thread - I take it you're not a believer in his skill set?

Originally posted by BostonCat2001:

I think every good player wants to play a lot. That's why I very specifically posed the question, would you rather win or would you rather play a lot? If getting PT is more important to you than winning, no...not interested.
I doubt Thon is playing "Let's Make a Deal" in his head with playing time vs winning. It's not like he has to go somewhere terrible to play a lot. He's probably trying to find a balance of the two with some other factors thrown in as well.

Maker has no idea what the physical demands of D-1 basketball at UK are like. If he comes here, half his time during the first two months will be spent puking in a bucket or picking himself out of row 23 where Poythress has put him while fighting for a rebound. He doesn't know what it's like to run up and down the court on every play chasing UNC or ISU. Playing 30 minutes for UK is tough especially the way Cal demands his team play defense. Watch the tapes of their games where he lopes up and down the court.T hat won't happen in Lexington or his butt is on the pine.

I would like to have him because he is a talent but he needs to be on the " I'm here to get better train' not I'm here to play 36 minutes a game.

Was he also asked how Maker would like being a 3-4 year player if goes to UL?

None of that will matter when his final decision is made unless he really really wants a certain amount of minutes. Cal doesn't play that game.

I have no problem with an athlete wanting to play. But, I want to hear it in the context of "competing" and not some guarantee. Cal isn't going to guarantee anything anyway.

Originally posted by thecatsareback#8:

ec
I haven't read the Willis thread - I take it you're not a believer in his skill set?
I actually just got done reading it. While im not a basher or a pumper on Willis, I think only 3 other teams is a little too far.

Just my two cent. Not saying my opinion is any more valuable than yours.

UK78 you make a great point about Booker and Blackmon. I also would point out that Blackmon IMO would of been a cancer on this UK team. He shoots way too much and is not a pass first player. Cal for sure got the better fit for this team this season.

Is Maker seriously considering UL ? I mean really is he? I could think of a 10 to 12 schools he would be better off at.

I actually just got done reading it. While im not a basher or a pumper on Willis, I think only 3 other teams is a little too far.

you could be right - I honestly don't know but I've read on here that Cal has told him he'll be in the NBA one day if he sticks it out at UK so I'm just using that as my logic . Is it 3, 12, 25? Who knows but he's still a very,very good 12th man in the rotation.

That interview is a tape from the very beginning of December when he was visiting Louisville. He has since crossed UL from consideration and UK has started to put the full court press on him.

Is Thon Maker that much of a STUD that he could just walk in and play 30-35 minutes/game?

or has someone told him he is that good and that he'll start from Day 1?

I have to wonder where these kids heads really are when they think that way before they even get out of high-school.

i'd pass on that attitude!

Having watched a few of his games he reminds me so much of Garnett. Not saying he will be that good but they are very similar players. They are both thin 7 footers who can play a little like a swing 3/4. I know Meyer said he wasnt at all like Garnett and is like Ryan Kelley but that isnt at all what I see. He is an amazing athlete for his size and is just as much a 3 man as Trey Lyles is and that has worked out just fine for us this year. I think he is ideally a 4/5 playing alongside a much thicker body. He and Poythress would be unreal playing together.

you could be right - I honestly don't know but I've read on here that Cal has told him he'll be in the NBA one day if he sticks it out at UK so I'm just using that as my logic . Is it 3, 12, 25? Who knows but he's still a very,very good 12th man in the rotation.
Without a doubt, I agree that he is most likely the best 12 man in the nation and I do think he will be good here as soon as next year (if we do not get brown).I just think if he would be able to start on any top 3-5 team in the nation, he would be playing more time then mop up duty. Cal wouldn't hold him back especially with Alex's unfortunate departure.

First off, why are you listening to Jerry Eaves show. The guy is worse than horrible, a former UofL player, and did I say worse than horrible. Also, why would Thon Maker even consider UofL and why do UofL fans think they have a chance at a player like Maker. He is a OAD but Pitino would make him a 3 and I'm finally free.

I can tell you that JE and others are working TM very hard and they think they have a great shot...Maybe Thon should check the NBA rosters of Benedict vs Cal before he worries about playing time AND winning games...Eaves has some kind of ties with John Lucas who has close ties to TM...Sure hope Cal can get him...Think he is on AD's level
smokin.r191677.gif

I trust Cal to explain to Maker how coming to UK in his best interests no matter if the platoon
is in place or not. He is really good at this. Just like Mitch McConnell said Cal is creating more
millionaires than wall street. That has to be a pretty good selling point for players wanting to
get to the NBA. Cal goes to their home for a visit and hands them a list and says everybody
on the list played for me at UK and they are now a multi-millionaire.

Originally posted by Son_Of_Saul:

We shall see. The problem with this message board is that some of our posters will take the information shared in this thread and use it for the rest of the winter and spring as a backdrop to why UK has no chance for Maker.

A compilation of anecdotal evidence becomes group-think on this message board, which somehow turns into concrete fact.
Ain't coming here now. Done Deal!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT