ADVERTISEMENT

This was a #1 recruiting class

Why are we even trying to come up with a reason as to why we are 5-11? It's easy, this team is terrible and there is no other way to say it.

Because for some reason we still have fellow cat fans who think this is because of Covid or SOS and not an indication of things to come.

These same fans somehow think next year will be better despite a worse class coming in.

But its the #1 recruiting class.

The “#1 recruiting class” doesn’t mean much really. I mean yeah if we had a coach who actually coached and had an offense we would be better but the only reason we are #1 is because of the sheer volume. Cal these days just casts out a wide ass net and scoops up as many 2nd tier 5 stars and 4 stars/ transfers as he can without really recruiting based on needs or to field a TEAM. He has absolutely zero cohesive offense so he just scoops up a bunch of 10-40 ranked players and hopes they can out- athlete the other team. Unfortunately when he’s not getting the Walls, AD, KATS, Cousins, Knights etc along with multiple returning and serviceable veterans he can’t win.

Because for some reason we still have fellow cat fans who think this is because of Covid or SOS and not an indication of things to come.

These same fans somehow think next year will be better despite a worse class coming in.

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself Frank. It's so disappointing to watch these guys play so terrible. They have no chemistry whatsoever and look defeated before they even start the game. You can tell they've tuned out Calipari. They flat out won't listen to him anymore.

And with Allen being our only offense, that is the reason why this team is 5-11. When you average 17 TO's a game, you aren't winning period.

Missing out on a better point guard and Askew being rated higher then he should have has really hurt this team. Its not Askew’s fault for what he was rated coming out of high school and I think that he has potential to be a good point guard. He just wasn’t ready to be the top pg yet and it sucks that he has to be in that position right now. Cals never been a strong coach offensively, and his style of play relies more on playing tough defense. Honestly, Cal needs to adapt offensively going forward and we should all agree on that. If he wants to run a NBA farm league then he needs to run more of an NBA offense. Eventually, opposing coaches are going to use our style of play as a way to hurt us in recruiting.

With not a good PG we can't run are best play that we used to get 10 to 14 points a game. I think Jackie moon mom gave him the play when he was knocked out in ABA. We scored a a lot of points off that play. SARR might be to weak to catch and dunk it.

Missing out on a better point guard and Askew being rated higher then he should have has really hurt this team. Its not Askew’s fault for what he was rated coming out of high school and I think that he has potential to be a good point guard. He just wasn’t ready to be the top pg yet and it sucks that he has to be in that position right now. Cals never been a strong coach offensively, and his style of play relies more on playing tough defense. Honestly, Cal needs to adapt offensively going forward and we should all agree on that. If he wants to run a NBA farm league then he needs to run more of an NBA offense. Eventually, opposing coaches are going to use our style of play as a way to hurt us in recruiting.

Woodrow, they already are. Cal can recruit, but he does not know X and O's.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

It shows that Cal does not just roll the ball out. Cal does an amazing job of taking one and dones and turning them into a very good team every year (not saying that is the best approach). But if you do not have a summer or fall to practice and gel they are not very good. So when he has the chance to coach them he does a great job of turning them into a team. Once again, that may not be the best way to coach or what we want at Kentucky but he does what he does well when he gets the chance.

Reactions: coachcombs57
All that so called talent, and we are 5-11.
Does Kenny Payne play a part of this?
Possibly .Ive sat directly behind the uk bench .Ive seen lots of times when Cal would yank a kid out , be all animated while telling him something and point to the bench .You can tell the kid has no idea what he did wrong . After sitting down ,KP would go over an explain what happened . I dont know if anyone is doing that this year . Anyone that has heard Cal talk or rant knows he’s a TERRIBLE communicator. I actually believe most of the times the kids dont have a clue what he’s talking about .

Boston and Clarke aren’t basketball players. They have big time potential, but guys like them won’t help Ky in one year.
This has been a problem for several years now. Eventually these guys will be good players but that doesn't help UK. I can see the potential in Boston but that doesn't help UK now.

Reactions: willievic
The “#1 recruiting class” doesn’t mean much really. I mean yeah if we had a coach who actually coached and had an offense we would be better but the only reason we are #1 is because of the sheer volume. Cal these days just casts out a wide ass net and scoops up as many 2nd tier 5 stars and 4 stars/ transfers as he can without really recruiting based on needs or to field a TEAM. He has absolutely zero cohesive offense so he just scoops up a bunch of 10-40 ranked players and hopes they can out- athlete the other team. Unfortunately when he’s not getting the Walls, AD, KATS, Cousins, Knights etc along with multiple returning and serviceable veterans he can’t win.

Truth . Cal can’t win shit without superior talent over his opponents because he’s a terrible x and o guy and a bad communicator . He wasn’t his entire career but I think he’s done , the world changed quickly ( AAU punks / divas ) and cal doesn’t know how to handle them . I dont like today’s athletes either , but I’m not paid 9 mil a year to keep them on board .. Cals babies are not on board .

We have a team full of players who do not care if they are at UK or not. It's been that way for years. They are here to advance themselves and not the program. It's difficult as a fan to care that much about them. If this crop of freshman were here trying as hard as they can and we knew they'd all be back next year and the year after that, we'd root hard for this team. When we know most, and maybe all will leave to make room to the next crop of NBA minor league players on a layover, then we don't care.

Last edited:
maybe they were overrated, but the entire class is low on talent. somebody has to be ranked #1 #2 and so on.
letting the teams success be relied on such a class is the real tragedy

It’s Cal plain and simple. He never adapts to the roster he is dealt. We have some talent on this team.
A lot of coaches would have this team sitting at 11-5 I really believe that.
There’s definitely not another coach out there that would have us worse than 5-11. A monkey could coach us to that.

True . Any coach out there could have team at 10-6 or 11-5 . But Cal is poison at this point . Just poison .

Cal and his staff done a piss poor job putting a roster together, they’ve done a crappy job last 5 years. Mitch giving Cal a lifetime extension was a terrible knee jerk decision, Cal has became complacent! This year has been hard to watch and next year won’t be any easier poor recruiting with No impact players coming in will lead to another down year.

I think that is our main problem. Askew wasn’t ready to be the main point guard yet. He will be really good if he will stay long enough, IMO

Woodrow, I hate to disagree with you, but under Cal, Askew will never be a really good point guard. Under some other coach, he might be. My reason is, Cal wants his point guard to be quick enough to be his man, one on one. Askew does not have a quick enough first step. However, some coaches will set a screen, and if it is set properly, where the defensive man guarding the point guard, has to go behind the screener, then Askew could beat his defensive man. Askew is a good enough ball handler to become a good point guard in that situation. He needs to get better at shooting, but that can be improved with practice. Remember, he should be a Senior in high school at the present time. I doubt he will be at UK next year. As usual, Cal will recruit over him, and in this case, he probably should.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Cal is too tunneled vision in recruiting. He is so intent on getting kids to the NBA he basically stops recruiting that position when the kid commits. We should have gone after the de Silva kid that left Va Tech. 6’7 and 250 and very athletic. Would have given us another experienced body but no Boston has to get all of those minutes or Jackson. Just fill in the blanks. Cal needs to move on as soon as this shit show of a season ends. We older fans don’t have hearts strong enough to endure another one of these.

As long it's the 'number one recruiting class' on paper and according to pundits, then Cal gets to make the claim regardless of actual talent

This and draft night is all he's after
I would like to see banners in Rupp Arena with all of the NBA players names and the second banner with all of the #1 recruiting classes. It would give fans something to cheer for and make our 5 win season feel special.

and we are 5-11. Why?

Combination of the top guys being overrated and the class missing valuable pieces (ie a PG) and then throw in the lack of prep time with a young team and you get a team with no confidence that underperforms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT