ADVERTISEMENT

This team is selfish

Gromcat

All-American
Jun 29, 2021
I’ve listened to several interviews with Mintz, Oscar, TyTy, and Wheeler to name a few. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard this kind of selfishness out of a UK team. They discuss nothing about the NBA, all about being a final four team and winning titles.

Someone needs to remind them it’s about the name on the back and not the front. They’re not supposed to care about a college legacy and championships.

In all seriousness, I’ve missed hearing key guys say they play for UK and not for a future contact. It’s been a huge gripe of mine over the years, and it’s been a pleasure to see it return. Pride of program not of self. No matter where they end up, they’ve represented better than any UK team in the Cal era.

I’ve listened to several interviews with Mintz, Oscar, TyTy, and Wheeler to name a few. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard this kind of selfishness out of a UK team. They discuss nothing about the NBA, all about being a final four team and winning titles.

Someone needs to remind them it’s about the name on the back and not the front. They’re not supposed to care about a college legacy and championships.

In all seriousness, I’ve missed hearing key guys say they play for UK and not for a future contact. It’s been a huge gripe of mine over the years, and it’s been a pleasure to see it return. Pride of program not of self. No matter where they end up, they’ve represented better than any UK team in the Cal era.
Honestly I feel like we have had a bit of a culture change. Hoping we get a lot of this guys back next year to go with all that influx of talent.

Love the satire. Sadly some posters won’t get it.
I think everyone gets it, it just doesnt make sense when you insulate recent UK players dont care about the school and championships but rather their NBA future when we have had guys like Fox, Richards, Quickley, Washington, Bam, and others as some of our recent players who definitely werent that way.

I think everyone gets it, it just doesnt make sense when you insulate recent UK players dont care about the school and championships but rather their NBA future when we have had guys like Fox, Richards, Quickley, Washington, Bam, and others as some of our recent players who definitely werent that way.

Yeah. Booker was such a jerk not playing for the name on the front.

05c8f9759dff1dd5d4ab9ff004498e7b.jpg

So far 3 that pretty much missed the point.

And I’m sorry but there’s a difference in a Typical OAD and guys like we have now. They mostly discussed the reasons for going to Kentucky was the NBA. Whether right or wrong, I’m glad this group has only really spoke to final fours and championships. It’s definitely a nice change.

And I’m sorry but there’s a difference in a Typical OAD and guys like we have now. They mostly discussed the reasons for going to Kentucky was the NBA. Whether right or wrong, I’m glad this group has only really spoke to final fours and championships. It’s definitely a nice change.
Nah. I got it. But there’s definitely the in between guys like Booker, Bam, Fox, Davis etc.

Nobody has ever said they play for a contract or mention the NBA during our season

Watching Fox and Bam after we lost to UNC shatters the idea our players don’t care. I don’t know where some fans get that idea.

No. You implied our players don’t care about UK and only care about the NBA. That was your point. That’s demonstrably false. I don’t remember one player talking about the NBA while they were here. Every team has talked about winning here.

Reactions: BigCat241
No. You implied our players don’t care about UK and only care about the NBA. That was your point. That’s demonstrably false. I don’t remember one player talking about the NBA while they were here. Every team has talked about winning here.

First, bullshit. I can’t tell you how many interviews I’ve watched since 2010 waiting to hear their thoughts on UK but instead heard “I committed to UK because of Calipari’s NBA track record”. This team speaks about Kentucky, I’ve heard very little about the NBA. It’s definitely a different team in that regard. I see no issue highlighting it.

I don’t believe all OAD’s didn’t care about UK. I do think there’s a difference in Wheeler, Oscar, Grady, etc than Boston, Vanderbilt, Wall, or Guys from other programs who are on the fast track. The nature of their participation is rooted in career.

The main point, really in jest, was toward the constant “you’re selfish for putting UK ahead of a players desires” tirades. You’re not hearing much of this lately and it’s nice.

The thread was meant as a compliment to this team and something they should be getting more credit for. I watched several interviews yesterday and the NBA didn’t come up once. I watched Grady speak about UK after committing and it was all about Kentucky. This is not usual under Calipari. There’s no reason to be upset with the thread. Some of you are taking it in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Nobody has ever said they play for a contract or mention the NBA during our season

And no one ever said that they said that. I have no idea where some of you get this stuff.

To be more specific, most Of our guys until now have cited Calipari’s NBA track record for why they committed. From what I’ve gathered from this team, it’s a lot about final fours and championships. I just thought it was a nice contrast since we really haven’t had a roster like this since the Smith days. And maybe I’m wrong, but I believe guys like Miller, Patterson, Wheeler, or Oscar do in fact care more about UK than most OAD Calipari era players. We’ve done a great job bringing in high quality OAD’s, I just think it’s the nature of it.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
First, bullshit. I can’t tell you how many interviews I’ve watched since 2010 waiting to hear their thoughts on UK but instead heard “I committed to UK because of Calipari’s NBA track record”. This team speaks about Kentucky, I’ve heard very little about the NBA. It’s definitely a different team in that regard. I see no issue highlighting it.

I don’t believe all OAD’s didn’t care about UK. I do think there’s a difference in Wheeler, Oscar, Grady, etc than Boston, Vanderbilt, Wall, or Guys from other programs who are on the fast track. The nature of their participation is rooted in career.

The main point, really in jest, was toward the constant “you’re selfish for putting UK ahead of a players desires” tirades. You’re not hearing much of this lately and it’s nice.

The thread was meant as a compliment to this team and something they should be getting more credit for. I watched several interviews yesterday and the NBA didn’t come up once. I watched Grady speak about UK after committing and it was all about Kentucky. This is not usual under Calipari. There’s no reason to be upset with the thread. Some of you are taking it in the wrong direction.
I don’t have a problem with the premise of this thread but I wouldn’t put Wall in that category. Orton, yeah.

Reactions: Gromcat
There aren’t a lot of players we’ve had id place the selfish label on. Rashaad Carruth is the first one that comes to mind. he was clearly a “i love me some me” guy.

But i can’t think of any others that were obvious.

I think for the most part, once the game starts they just wanna win.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Watching Fox and Bam after we lost to UNC shatters the idea our players don’t care. I don’t know where some fans get that idea.
Just because they go to the NBA and change the future outlook for several generations of their family doesn't mean they don't care. To get to this level you have to be a pretty competitive individual. If you have aspirations to get to the next level, then you are not going through the motions out there.

Reactions: Jkwo
This is just another shot at Cal from the OP (Morgousky). He comes hard when we lose but has to be more subtle when we are winning. He’s antsy and his agenda has stalled for a few games. He thinks he’s Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator and that UK sports only play to gain his approval.

Last edited:
This is just another shot at Cal from the OP (Morgousky). He comes hard when we lose but has to be more subtle when we are winning. He’s antsy and his agenda has stalled for a few games. I’ll let @Ocornett take it from here if we wants to.
Cal lives in Morg’s mind. He owns Morg. and he just can’t help himself. Morg is actually a big Memphis fan and Penny owns him. When UK loses he attacks Cal. When UK wins he includes something in his post to attack Cal. Morg. lives in the basement of his mothers home. His mom only allows him to go outside when it’s dark, because he’s so butt ugly. He believes he was a baseball player but most people know he was actually just the water boy. Morg. is not a UK fan and all you need to do is read his post to realize this fact. He’s still convinced that changing his username to Grom from Morg would fool posters. Morg. is not your friend BBN.

Reactions: machineheadCAT

Cool story

Lol, if it's my kid, I'm telling him that a life-changing career opportunity is more important than anything he "owes" to his school, whether that's leaving a full compsci scholarship early with a Google offer or leaving the engineering program early with a Tesla offer. Nobody has ever explained to me why it should be any different for an athlete who has a very limited life window to earn a six+ figure contract.

As long as they give a full effort, cheer for their teammates, and rep us well off the court, I'm happy to have em. Sure, there are lazy players and locker-room cancers out there, but I don't think Cal and K have brought in more of those than any other program.

Reactions: BigCat241
Lol, if it's my kid, I'm telling him that a life-changing career opportunity is more important than anything he "owes" to his school, whether that's leaving a full compsci scholarship early with a Google offer or leaving the engineering program early with a Tesla offer. Nobody has ever explained to me why it should be any different for an athlete who has a very limited life window to earn a six+ figure contract.

As long as they give a full effort, cheer for their teammates, and rep us well off the court, I'm happy to have em. Sure, there are lazy players and locker-room cancers out there, but I don't think Cal and K have brought in more of those than any other program.

From a fans perspective, not your fatherhood, I’ve enjoyed hearing more about chasing titles and playing for UK than we have been. It’s not that I don’t want players chasing the NBA. I’d put Banchero on this team in a heartbeat and listen to his pitch to the pistons every interview. But there’s been more of a “how does it feel to play on this stage” type of way to many of these interviews that hasn’t been in the past under Calipari. I think a guy like Wheeler or a player like Oscar is enamored by UK.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I watched that live and it hurt so bad. I had just started to really bond so to speak with that team. They were always pretty good but I just never felt a connection with them. Well, unfortunately I had begun to right around tourney time. And to see us get so hosed by Higgins and crew in that game? I was so mad. And then to see Bam and Fox so upset, talking about real brotherhood? (shut up Duke) I haven’t be near as invested since.

This years group is something different though. I fell “in love” with O from the moment we met him. His work ethic, him saying he’s wanted to be here from day 1, the fact he had to suck it out under Huggy Bear at WVU, that infectious smile, the goofy but lovable attitude. Kid is without a doubt my favorite player since Richards.

I like TyTy too. His quiet nature, his humble attitude, his unselfish play on the court.

I’m going to miss these guys when they’re gone.

I can't see where any criticism of John Wall is remotely credible in this. He played his guts out while here and was a legitimate super star as a freshman. That first team put UK instantly back on the map coming out of a fairly dark period. I can't blame a guy projected that high in the draft for going. The way Wall represented UK was exemplary. I'll not fault the guy for being so good it was obvious to everyone he would be one and done.

I can't see where any criticism of John Wall is remotely credible in this. He played his guts out while here and was a legitimate super star as a freshman. That first team put UK instantly back on the map coming out of a fairly dark period. I can't blame a guy projected that high in the draft for going. The way Wall represented UK was exemplary. I'll not fault the guy for being so good it was obvious to everyone he would be one and done.
John Wall is just about beyond reproach. Dude is kind hearted and reignited the UK spark with Cal.

I think most of our players under cal have been about chasing final fours and titles. You also can be allowed to think about your career as well. We allow it for all the non pro athletes to do it. No one has an issue with the softball player worrying and talking about going to law school or the men's soccer player talking about his teaching career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT