ADVERTISEMENT

This team has the makings of a Huggins' Cincinnati team, circa 1998-2000.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I loved his squads back in the late 90s, early 2000s. That injury to K-Mart derailed them in 2000, but they had an incredible team based on physicality, bullying opponents, and a "ride or die" DMX-style attack.

Remember the names during that few year stretch?

Kenyon Martin
Pete Michael
DerMarr Johnson
Kenny Satterfield
Jermaine Tate
Melvin Levett
Steve Logan
Ryan Fletcher

They had a nice combination of physicality and finesse on those teams. I think we might have the same. We have true Cincy-style guys like Oscar, Livingston, Toppin, and Wallace; and we have high-finesse players like Fredrick, Collins, and Reeves.

I hope that our style is one of a defensive dynamo that can take multiple opponents out of a game (Toppin and Wallace are already elite defenders; Kingsley/Collins/Livingston have the potential to be).

I'm becoming more excited the more I get to know this squad. If Toppin and Livingston can develop into beasts, we might just have a shot at a Final Four this year.

Cautiously optimistic at this point.

Good comparison. Those Memphis teams and Huggins' Cincy teams had the same time of swagger. It's going to be interesting seeing how quickly these guys can come together. If we get high-level production out of the 3/4 spots, I think we'll be a very good team.
I miss having a bunch of big, strong, intimidating and not scared of anything guys on our teams. We've had too many "this guy has potential! but he's thin as a rail and soft guys" on our team in the past 5 years or so. Let's put the fear of God back into some opponents.

I miss having a bunch of big, strong, intimidating and not scared of anything guys on our teams. We've had too many "this guy has potential! but he's thin as a rail and soft guys" on our team in the past 5 years or so. Let's put the fear of God back into some opponents.
Let’s get the shi(p) right.

This. Haven’t had a real bruiser since WCS. Fox and Monk were competititors and fierce, but not enforcers.

Oscar is my MATB but he still doesn’t have that overly mean edge. Toppin and Ware can be those dudes.

I’m ready for a guy like Toppin to posterize someone and stare his ass down. Technical be damned.

It’s time for teams to bow down again.

I loved his squads back in the late 90s, early 2000s. That injury to K-Mart derailed them in 2000, but they had an incredible team based on physicality, bullying opponents, and a "ride or die" DMX-style attack.

Kenyon Martin
Pete Michael
DerMarr Johnson
Kenny Satterfield
Jermaine Tate
Melvin Levett
Steve Logan
Ryan Fletcher

They had a nice combination of physicality and finesse on those teams. I think we might have the same. We have true Cincy-style guys like Oscar, Livingston, Toppin, and Wallace; and we have high-finesse players like Fredrick, Collins, and Reeves.

I hope that our style is one of a defensive dynamo that can take multiple opponents out of a game (Toppin and Wallace are already elite defenders; Kingsley/Collins/Livingston have the potential to be).

I'm becoming more excited the more I get to know this squad. If Toppin and Livingston can develop into beasts, we might just have a shot at a Final Four this year.

Yeah Huggins really recruited some great teams back then and played a great style.

Kenyon Martin
Pete Michael
DerMarr Johnson
Kenny Satterfield
Jermaine Tate
Melvin Levett
Steve Logan
Ryan Fletcher

Oh yes. Attended their game vs. UofL at Freedom Hall in 2000. Those dudes were grown men. I think they win the national championship if Martin doesn’t break his leg. They were better than Michigan State.

Sure. Just looked it up. Said see Bob Huggins Cincinnati basketball roster.
Ive always agreed with your posts here I completeley agree with the original poster give me Huggins teams in late 90’s/2000 physically tough/ hard nosed I will take that type of team all day

Ive always agreed with your posts here I completeley agree with the original poster give me Huggins teams in late 90’s/2000 physically tough/ hard nosed I will take that type of team all day

They were renegades. They never won anything. They always lost when it mattered, and they had constant off the court trouble.

I’m good on those teams. If we’re going this direction I’ll take guys like Cals Memphis teams over that. CDR, Dozier, Dorsey etc. They had off the court trouble with some of them but they actually won things.

I guess this is that one time we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: deep3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT