ADVERTISEMENT

This team deserves to be in the top 5

NociHTTP

Senior
Mar 8, 2023
I think this game told us a lot about different aspects of our guys' "game". Not necessarily how they will do in the SEC or in March.

Shep - guy who does it all, on both ends of the court. If he keeps this up and polished what is already spectacular, he ain't coming back next year. Of all the guys who might leave, he's the only one I could see choosing to come back for unfinished business. I was grinning ear to ear when television crew started comparing him to the likes of Kerr and someone whose name escapes me.

Edwards - shut off his left side, if you're the opponent. Has a beautiful stroke.

Ugonna - could become a terror defensively.

Reeves - my goodness he can fill it up quick

Bradshaw - if he stops biting in everything and gains better court awareness, look out

Dilly - we should call him Flash. His first step and passes are just so quick

Mitchell - what can I say? Just quietly goes about his business, and soon they are going to have to come out and guard him which is great news for our guards cutting.

Wagner - I think he lacks upper body strength, or maybe is afraid of contact, leading to all the missed layups and rolls. The ability to get to the basket is most certainly there.

I love the rivalry, but it was over at the half. I also appreciate Cal relaxing and letting these kids play as they're suited to play. We should chip in to keep Kenny in red.

This team has played 3 then top 10 teams, and beat 2 and had the other one on the ropes and let them sneak away.

Kentucky is solid and really has no weaknesses.

We avg over 90 pts a game and are shooting the lights out from 3 as a team.

Cal has yet another juggernaut at UK ala ‘10, ‘12 and ‘15.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

I think this game told us a lot about different aspects of our guys' "game". Not necessarily how they will do in the SEC or in March.

Shep - guy who does it all, on both ends of the court. If he keeps this up and polished what is already spectacular, he ain't coming back next year. Of all the guys who might leave, he's the only one I could see choosing to come back for unfinished business. I was grinning ear to ear when television crew started comparing him to the likes of Kerr and someone whose name escapes me.

Edwards - shut off his left side, if you're the opponent. Has a beautiful stroke.

Bradshaw - if he stops biting in everything and gains better court awareness, look out

Mitchell - what can I say? Just quietly goes about his business, and soon they are going to have to come out and guard him which is great news for our guards cutting.

Wagner - I think he lacks upper body strength, or maybe is afraid of contact, leading to all the missed layups and rolls. The ability to get to the basket is most certainly there.

I love the rivalry, but it was over at the half. I also appreciate Cal relaxing and letting these kids play as they're suited to play. We should chip in to keep Kenny in red.
They’re good right where they are. They don’t deserve top 5 though

Good post. Just imagine what this game would’ve looked like if we had played even half as well in the second half as we did in the first. We got a little sloppy and lethargic in the second half, but I guess you can expect that when you’re up 20 at the break.

But I’m not quite ready to put us in the top five yet. We have some growing to do and some things to clean up, but I really think we’ll be there by the end of the year.

This team has played 3 then top 10 teams, and beat 2 and had the other one on the ropes and let them sneak away.

The one weakness I see is a little lack of muscle / size down low. We have the length though. Cans they play hard and together

I want to see them stay hungry and hard nosed, play with an edge. Maybe keeping them out of the top 5 will do just that for them.

Let's just keep flying under the radar as far as anyone else may be concerned, I say. I love it when they overlook UK. Especially this year.

That'll get some teams humiliated that aint expecting it.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Good post. Just imagine what this game would’ve looked like if we had played even half as well in the second half as we did in the first. We got a little sloppy and lethargic in the second half, but I guess you can expect that when you’re up 20 at the break.

But I’m not quite ready to put us in the top five yet. We have some growing to do and some things to clean up, but I really think we’ll be there by the end of the year.

Cal called the dogs off 100%. That halftime speech was to go 50%...it was obvious.

Why is it a stretch? Kentucky could be top five when the AP poll comes out…… some teams have lost ahead of them. My guess they will be 7 or 6

Yeah maybe they make the top 5 in the AP poll. That could be a thing.

I understood top 5 to mean one of the 5 best teams. The top 5 teams and AP top 5 often overlap, but they aren't necessarily the same category.

Reactions: The_Answer1313

They will be #6 Monday, so you aren’t that far off

So 6 will be ok? Cause that is absolutely what they will be Monday.
See my previous post for my initial understanding.

Could UK be AP top 5! Sure!

Are they one of the 5 best teams in the county? Well, that's an entirely different question.

it was against a team in dissarray who quits at the first sign of adversity in a game.

we might be top 5 but I don't think it would be based on anything we saw tonight against UL
Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

it was against a team in dissarray who quits at the first sign of adversity in a game.

we might be top 5 but I don't think it would be based on anything we saw tonight against UL
We just lost at home to a high school team a couple of weeks ago. People should probably hold off on anointing us as the greatest team in the country.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

Nice to see you positive!

UK could have easily hit 100 in this game and could have won by 30+ but Cal called off the dogs.

I agree this team is playing well and has the potential to win it all this season. I'm not sure they will, of course, but they have the ability to do it. Consistency is what they need to work on, and I'm seeing it coming along.

You only deserve top 5 if there aren't 5 teams better than you. Are we sure there aren't right now?

Currently, I feel their ranking is just right. They aren’t a top five team right now. But, they can easily be there at the end. This team is very close to legit scary good. But it's not there yet. Their unselfish nature makes me think they'll be there.

Don’t forget Thiero, who’s balling himself.

UNCW kibashed the Top 5 talk for now.

You cannot lose to those types of teams and expect everyone to respect you.

Remember when Cal lost to Evansville? St. Peters?

The only time you can be confident a team of that level can't beat you is when you don't let them!

We're not there yet. Let's see how we start off SEC play. Florida and Missouri are up first.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Don't deserve top 5 until their defense gets up to the 20's on kenpom. If it doesn't get there then forget about March.

Last edited:
Deserved or not, the 'Cats will certainly move up to No. 6 in the next AP Poll, with UConn, Marquette, and Oklahoma all losing this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT