ADVERTISEMENT

This is why you don't take Cousins too serious

katwest

All-American
Feb 16, 2003
Princeton, KY
I just saw this on Arkansas home page,
"Kentucky won't be on TV anymore, it's going to be hard to get a kid to go to Kentucky if they're not on TV," Cousins said. "What kids are looking for in today's time is what's hot, what's cool, what's relevant. I want to be on TV every night to show my talent. Guess what team is going to be on TV every night? The Arkansas Razorbacks.
"Arkansas will now be the hotspot, Arkansas will now have the No. 1 recruiting classes coming in every year. Arkansas will now be full of celebrities, Arkansas will have the most talent coming in and out every year. The machine will go, it'll just be in a different place."

Yikes!!! Big cuz is actually clueless which is a shame. I’d bet my house against 1/10 of his assets that UK will be in national TV more times than Arkansas next year. Heck Arkansas will only have one game for certain that will be prime time viewing and that will be UK 😂. Come on cuz, surely you are smarter than that.

Yeah, what’s cool, what’s hot and what’s relevant gets you loss 10 seasons. Practically every team you have no business losing to you lose to them. Show up to multiple games constantly with your team looking completely unprepared. Completely flame out in your conference tournament just about every year. Constantly losing to lesser teams in the NCAA tournament…….

Yeah, I’ll pass on, what’s cool and what’s hot? We’ve had, that I’m good.

Last edited:
Dana Carvey Nbc GIF

I don't have a mantle any longer but I do keep Cuz's bobblehead next to my John Wayne mug. Cuz has a good heart and is not anything of the thug some try to make him out to be. I grew up around thugs, legit thugs and Cuz is still good people. (Doesn't make him a rocket scientist or anything.).... Hope he has a come to jesus moment and not another come to Kal moment... ;)

Boogie just loves his coach. Cal did a LOT for Demarcus. Can’t blame him for his loyalty. I mean, he’s wrong about this…Kentucky will always be Kentucky…but he’s standing by his guy. I can’t fault him for that.

He’s not wrong that Cal will do well at Arkansas though. He will.
I’m fine with him standing by Cal. Hell, hype Arkansas up all you want and start wearing red. Just refrain from saying stupid shit about Kentucky. We already saw it with the Rondo back and forth, now this. BBN always had his back, but I’d imagine he is falling out of favor with some of these comments.

He's either deluded or a genius. Saying crap like this will drive people to his podcast. I just wonder if he actually believes it. If so....

Boogie just loves his coach. Cal did a LOT for Demarcus. Can’t blame him for his loyalty. I mean, he’s wrong about this…Kentucky will always be Kentucky…but he’s standing by his guy. I can’t fault him for that.

He’s not wrong that Cal will do well at Arkansas though. He will.
I get being loyal to Cal but he can do that without throwing UK and the BBN under the bus.

Cal gave Boogie a shot and helped change the hothead narrative surrounding Cuz coming out of high school. I'm sure Cousins has a ton of loyalty to Cal for that reason.

Agree his take sounds like a jilted love and is absolutely irrational. Cal's on-the-court success the past five years condemned him one way or the other. Plus, nobody wanted the Calipari era to end like it did. Lots of raw emotions and tension for coaches, fans, admin, and former/current players right now.

Reactions: KFuqua
Lol so Drake is going to do a (highly paid) appearance at Arkansas instead of UK? I’d be surprised if more than 40% of the next incoming Freshmen students at Kentucky even know who Drake is for real. Cal had it 15 years ago, but he’s forever stuck in that time. If Arkansas was the new cool place, you’d feel it already. Everyone sees it as a step down, it wasn’t a cool move. Cal didn’t come out of this looking swaggy or looking like a boss. He has a complete rebuild, blank slate with a blank check at Arkansas, which I get the attractiveness of that, especially if he gets more freedom to wheel and deal. But he’s had premier rosters, top 10 teams, and for nearly a decade he has failed to produce adequate results.

I will, and already do look back on the Cal era with great fondness. The first half of it was legendary. The back half wasn’t. It just went on too long. The plug should’ve been pulled after the Brandon Boston Covid season, but that’s much easier to see in hindsight. The program completely lost its culture and identity with that team. No one wanted Cal to leave on such a bad note and the players he was bringing in really brought a renewed hope of reclaiming what was rightfully ours. Plus, the 2019-20 team has kinda been given mythical Champion status over time. Right off the heels of that “what if?”, the Covid year seemed like it could’ve been a blip and Cal would be right back on track. But without a culture and identity, UK became a program to be used and Cal cashed his checks and gladly let it happen, because on paper it looked like a beast. The lofty draft projections from a decade before were still there, but the results weren’t even close to replicated.

So he gets a blank slate at Arkansas to make it Calworld. And maybe with the book of blank checks it works out for him. But it wasn’t going to work here because the program was shattered and Cal was taking the pieces and making abstract shapes with them and holding them up for everyone to see because they were just shiny and glittery enough to distract from how deformed the shape was. These last 3 years have been like UK and Cal were dragged out of Pet Sematary. Everything looked like it did before as long as you didn’t get too close or start peeling layers back.

Reactions: RunninRichie
"Kentucky won't be on TV anymore, it's going to be hard to get a kid to go to Kentucky if they're not on TV," Cousins said. "What kids are looking for in today's time is what's hot, what's cool, what's relevant. I want to be on TV every night to show my talent. Guess what team is going to be on TV every night? The Arkansas Razorbacks.
"Arkansas will now be the hotspot, Arkansas will now have the No. 1 recruiting classes coming in every year. Arkansas will now be full of celebrities, Arkansas will have the most talent coming in and out every year. The machine will go, it'll just be in a different place
It wouldn't surprise me a bit TBH. Hopefully we can get a great coach and recruiter, but that will be very difficult.

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Kentucky is on tv the most because of its fans and the ratings they get. Not because of how cool they are. I guarantee UK will be on ESPN and CBS more than Arkansas will.

If you ever took Cousins seriously off the basketball court, that’s on you. Loved him while he was here; don’t really care about his opinions aside from his experiences here.

Who wants to explain to Boogie that UK basketball was already a huge deal before Cal ever showed up?

By the end, Cal only diminished the UK brand from what it had been before him.
I wouldn’t say it was that great before him. Don’t forget Billy Clyde and what Tubby had dropped program down to.

but even then under BCG we were on TV all the time.

"Arkansas will now be the hotspot, Arkansas will now have the No. 1 recruiting classes coming in every year. Arkansas will now be full of celebrities, Arkansas will have the most talent coming in and out every year. The machine will go, it'll just be in a different place."
This is the case where Cal and his disciples seem to think that Cal is bigger than the program and he is not.

Reactions: Smashcat
Yes celebrities are just racing down to Fayetteville lol
They haven’t even been coming to Lexington for years and years now. That only happened for a brief period here. They stopped coming after 2015.

Not sure how much that even matters. Colorado football was this year’s cool celebrity “it” program. But they still had a 4-8 losing season.

I'm not as enamored with Cousins as a lot of fans are. I'm more fond of a Jamaal Magliore to be honest. If Cousins had much head on his shoulders he would still be on an NBA roster. He can be very emotional at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT