ADVERTISEMENT

THIS Is Who We Need To Go Get

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011

Started at Illinois before transferring, was he potentially recruited there by Orlando or Chin?

Perfect wing to back up Edwards/Reeves.

I'm sure he would get a waiver to play right away.

Averaged:

20 PPG
8.8 RPG

44% 3FG
81 made 3s this year

6'5 wing who got nearly 9 rebounds per game and shot 44% from 3 with a LOT of attempts. Pure shooter, also probably won't come in expecting to immediately play 35 MPG.

PS I know this is an NBA announcement but I doubt he gets drafted and he won't stay at Santa Clara

Do guys transfer to programs to back up two other guys (three, potentially, if Reeves and Livingston come back)? If so, I agree.

But he’d be a starter and first scoring option immediately at a place like Indiana, for example.

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty good player. Not sure about the role you’re envisioning though. Even with the uptick in competition if he transfers, I’d be a little surprised if he’d be content getting spot minutes off the bench after averaging 20 and 9 this year. That’s the kind of guy who may be able to start for some solid programs and would probably like to.

If he's already transferred once won't he have to sit out this time? That is unless the first time he redshirted after the transfer.

Edit
Saw his stats and he played right away. So he would have to sit out. Unless he can get a waiver somehow.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Rule number one:.
We don't take transfer guards or small forwards anymore
Rule number 2:
Might take transfer power forwards or centers if they can shoot , block shots

Rule number three: we don't take transfer guards or small forwards anymore LOL. They can't handle the pressure. They underperform. Seasons are lost.

Pg. No
Sg. No
Sf no
Pf. Maybe
C maybe

Yeah I don't think this is going to happen. I actually think he'd get drafted (see him in the 2nd round in mock drafts) and could even move up to the 1st round. Ideal NBA wing

Can’t believe you guys don’t remember us recruiting this kid a few years ago. I believe he played on Tyler Herros AAU team. We ended up taking higher rated dudes but we recruited him a long while. I remember him playing in a league and watching his league games. He was pretty good then. Looks to have gotten better since. Wouldn’t mind seeing it come full circle here.

Started at Illinois before transferring, was he potentially recruited there by Orlando or Chin?

Averaged:

20 PPG
8.8 RPG

44% 3FG
81 made 3s this year

6'5 wing who got nearly 9 rebounds per game and shot 44% from 3 with a LOT of attempts. Pure shooter, also probably won't come in expecting to immediately play 35 MPG.

PS I know this is an NBA announcement but I doubt he gets drafted and he won't stay at Santa Clara

I bet he stays in the draft and just plays on the g-league but if he transfers, I agree go get him cats

I hope he's not another Kellan Grady. He looks fragile. People from Wisconsin have permanently white legs. It's that cold there.

Rule number 2:

Rule number three: we don't take transfer guards or small forwards anymore LOL. They can't handle the pressure. They underperform. Seasons are lost.

Pg. No
Sg. No
Sf no
Pf. Maybe
C maybe

This is a horrendous take.

Freshmen can ALSO fade under pressure. They are all worst case scenario 18, to best case scenario 22 year kids. Regardless of class, pressure can get to anyone. It happens to pros too. Cal should go after the best available positions in the portal that fits our needs. Especially a sharp shooter.

Our seasons this year and last year would have been trash without Reeves or Grady.

Reactions: TM2013 and Zissou87
We got Davion Mintz to come in when we had BJ Boston, Devin Askew and Terrence Clarke on the way in.

But who knows, might be a pipe dream but would love a kid like this.
Players like Mintz are not the answer to uk's struggles
He was as turnover prone as Wheeler

Can’t believe you guys don’t remember us recruiting this kid a few years ago. I believe he played on Tyler Herros AAU team. We ended up taking higher rated dudes but we recruited him a long while. I remember him playing in a league and watching his league games. He was pretty good then. Looks to have gotten better since. Wouldn’t mind seeing it come full circle here.
Not sure he can handle the SEC quickness
Maybe Herro can recruit him for uk

Averaged:

20 PPG
8.8 RPG

44% 3FG
81 made 3s this year

We’re not allowed to “go get” players who have not entered the transfer portal. And this kid has not. He only declared his intent to enter the NBA draft …not change schools.

Besides he’s already used up his one transfer freebie. Absent a special waiver, he can’t do it again without sitting out a year. If he does withdraw from the draft, it’ll likely be just to return to the same school.

We need two guards that are as quick as the two K-State guards. They disrupted our entire stand around offense. We made so many bad passes it was pathetic. Cal’s fault for not devising a better offense to free shooters or drivers. He can’t leave soon enough.

• Love
Reactions: seccats04

Not as a starter, but a guy like Mintz coming off the bench and accepting a role of 10-15 MPG is a luxury very few programs can have.

Reactions: TM2013
Rule number 2:

Pg. No
Sg. No
Sf no
Pf. Maybe
C maybe
Wrong.
Grady was really good until he got hurt.

But if he thinks he is good enough to maybe get drafted, if he then transferred instead, he ain’t transferring to be a 6th-8th man anywhere.
Now Cal could tell him he will get a fair chance to beat out Reeves. Or if Reeves not return, then maybe.

This is a horrendous take.

Freshmen can ALSO fade under pressure. They are all worst case scenario 18, to best case scenario 22 year kids. Regardless of class, pressure can get to anyone. It happens to pros too. Cal should go after the best available positions in the portal that fits our needs. Especially a sharp shooter.

Our seasons this year and last year would have been trash without Reeves or Grady.
I Argue that we lost because of Reeves and Grady. Not able to hang.
Surely there's somebody that agrees with me......

Reactions: Fox2monk
Y’all are wasting your time. We all know the problem and it has nothing to do with players. Grady, mintz, Reeves, any one you want to name was just doing all they could in a broken system. This kid would shoot 25% from 3 here and nobody would be able to explain it, but there would still be that one common denominator over there on the sidelines acting like a maniac and making boneheaded decisions left and right.

Don’t just lie and make shit up.

Mintz had 78 turnovers in 1536 minutes at UK. That is 1 every 19.7 minutes, or about 1.5 per game for a guy who plays about 30mpg. That is not bad at all especially for a guy who played PG about 1/3 of the time.

Y’all are wasting your time. We all know the problem and it has nothing to do with players. Grady, mintz, Reeves, any one you want to name was just doing all they could in a broken system. This kid would shoot 25% from 3 here and nobody would be able to explain it, but there would still be that one common denominator over there on the sidelines acting like a maniac and making boneheaded decisions left and right.
Already proved yesterday that transfers do not shoot worse at UK. Fredrick is basically the only one hat has happened to.

The Arizona guy is better. Neither will come to Kentucky and if they do never forget cj Fredrick. So we probably need both based on the law of averages

He'll stay in.
I followed him some this season since we recruited him out of hs.
Definitely had NBA scouts at his games.
Would be picked over anyone on our roster not named Wallace.
He would have to claim some sort of hardship to get a waiver to play next season

Reactions: shaudyshaud
I Argue that we lost because of Reeves and Grady. Not able to hang.
Surely there's somebody that agrees with me......
Stop it. One of the worst takes I've heard.
-As mentioned above, Grady's plantar fasciitis killed his shooting late in the season. He was leading the conference in 3-point percentage until then. Him being a transfer had nothing to with do the loss.
-Antonio Reeves shot 42% from three at UK, which is a career-high. He was also SEC 6th Man of the Year. He had a game high 22 points in the first round with 5/9 from three. Unfortunately, he picked an inconvenient game to have a bad shooting night. Again, being a transfer had nothing to do with the loss.

Keep in mind, the point guard from Kansas State that killed us was also a transfer. He ended up becoming an All-American this year.

He'll fit right in with our mop heads.
Speaking of hairdos, is it just me or do you all think we were better most of the time when players had less hair/more traditional hairstyles under Cal? I liked when everyone was more uniform. Then we started getting lots of braids and Sideshow Bob hairdos and the play started to decline. It's like the more individuality the players had, the less cohesiveness the team had. I do like a big afro but just not at the expense of the team. Just look at how much a like this championship team was in the hairdo department.

2011_121.jpg

Seriously though, the hair itself isn't the problem but the whole players first nonsense (which it is part of) is what's causing us to decline. It needs to go back to team first like it always used to be.

Reactions: UK till Death
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT