ADVERTISEMENT

This is it

Problem is we have the same head coach.
And that’s a BIG problem.

It is the summer so who knows....what I will say is Cal seems to trust Welsh and goes way back with him.

They were running 5 out the past two games. We've NEVER seen that...you can at least agree there, right?

I really think Cal screwed the pooch with his evaluations of some players and his staff leading to what happened in '20.

We fell off a cliff and he pieced together what should have been a decent team but hardly none of them fit his philosophy. We built an offense around Oscar and it just didn't work.

He failed. But he has been highly successful in the past, especially when he has had his kind of guys playing for him.

This is it...these are his kind of guys and there is no denying that. If he fails with this group...well, ehh hmmm.

It is the summer so who knows....what I will say is Cal seems to trust Welsh and goes way back with him.

They were running 5 out the past two games. We've NEVER seen that...you can at least agree there, right?

I really think Cal screwed the pooch with his evaluations of some players and his staff leading to what happened in '20.

We fell off a cliff and he pieced together what should have been a decent team but hardly none of them fit his philosophy. We built an offense around Oscar and it just didn't work.

He failed. But he has been highly successful in the past, especially when he has had his kind of guys playing for him.

This is it...these are his kind of guys and there is no denying that. If he fails with this group...well, ehh hmmm.
This isnt even close to the issue.

As a coach, you don't just build a team and then see what happens. You need to actually COACH them. In all senses and meanings of that word. Including making game plans specific to opponents and adjustments specific to what is happening on the court. Cal has been doing basically none of that. He builds his team and then just sees what happens.

The chemistry is there, the talent, the scoring, the defense, etc…. It’s all a there for a chance at number 9. I know it’s July but we have the recipe to cut down the net come March. I shouldn’t get my hopes up like this but man this just feels different.
Every Kentucky basketball team is talented. Every damned year, we are. But we all know Kentucky's NCAA Tournament record since 2019. One of our best players just had surgery on his foot. Only 3 of these guys have ever played significant minutes in a college basketball game. Seven freshmen. IMO, talking about #9 on the basis of 2 exhibition games in Canada is highly premature. At best.

I think there’s too much parity in college basketball now for Cal to be successful.

He’s not going to have overwhelming talent every night like he had in the past.

I think this team will be more fun to watch than the past couple of seasons.

But in the end I see us finishing 3rd or 4th in the SEC with a sweet 16 ceiling.

By the time SEC play starts opposing coaches will know our weaknesses and game plan for them. Cal will not prepare or change anything.

The chemistry is there, the talent, the scoring, the defense, etc…. It’s all a there for a chance at number 9. I know it’s July but we have the recipe to cut down the net come March. I shouldn’t get my hopes up like this but man this just feels different.
Nah nothing about this trip is relevant other than its fun to see some of the guys play we haven’t seen play.

No one has a clue what to expect once the season starts. My guess is Cal’s coaching will eventually take over and the team will suffer.

Recent history might be a guide. Don’t get your hopes up.

I didn't see much defense against Canada. We did get steals and force turnovers. I don't know why Canada didn't just keep going inside. Our freshman got pushed around inside. Canada just couldn't hit shots when they needed to. It was to be somewhat expected to get out rebounded, missing the two taller players but that was a significant rebound margin loss.

Last edited:
Oh lord here we go after the exhibition games 😂
I gotta agree with you Ron. We do this to ourselves every season. I'm as guilty as any, I will confess. Of course, we all WANT to believe it. I'd like to jump on this train again. I could even make a case for believing it based on the current personnel. But I could have made the case last year also, especially after those games in the Bahamas, but I was wrong and ended up very disappointed.

Here's what I'll say: I like the pieces we have. I like that we ended up getting 2 late additions with Reeves and Mitchell. I like this freshman class a lot, even the less heralded ones. They appear to be legit and ready to compete. But they haven't been punched in the mouth yet and they haven't dealt with any adversity. We will see. I'm along for the ride, of course, as always. And I'll probably live and die with every win or loss.

But I'm not ready to crown any Champions. It's premature and unwise.

I gotta agree with you Ron. We do this to ourselves every season. I'm as guilty as any, I will confess. Of course, we all WANT to believe it. I'd like to jump on this train again. I could even make a case for believing it based on the current personnel. But I could have made the case last year also, especially after those games in the Bahamas, but I was wrong and ended up very disappointed.

Here's what I'll say: I like the pieces we have. I like that we ended up getting 2 late additions with Reeves and Mitchell. I like this freshman class a lot, even the less heralded ones. They appear to be legit and ready to compete. But they haven't been punched in the mouth yet and they haven't dealt with any adversity. We will see. I'm along for the ride, of course, as always. And I'll probably live and die with every win or loss.

But I'm not ready to crown any Champions. It's premature and unwise.
100%.

With the same amount of talent?
Lots of coaches have had tons of talent and came up short more times than not. Are you going to name the coaches that have won it all more than they haven't or is Cal just held to a different standard that's never been achieved? Even John Wooden wasn't that good.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I'm not going to hang up #9 yet. But, I enjoyed the last 2 games and I choose to look forward to November with anticipation. The team seems to have players that will be fun to watch. It's much better than moping around for the next 4 months (at least for me).

Seems like an improvement in talent but I’m staying reserved. A quick google says Germany has a player at UC, one at UC Irvine and one that went undrafted. I really like the makeup of this group but it’s still Cal coaching and the talent they are facing isnt world conquering type talent by any means. I’d love nothing more than to see UK win another championship but it seems every year people forget the repetitive cycle that is Cal.

Your correct, you shouldn’t get your hopes up, wait till the season actually starts

Lots of coaches have had tons of talent and came up short more times than not. Are you going to name the coaches that have won it all more than they haven't or is Cal just held to a different standard that's never been achieved? Even John Wooden wasn't that good.
NOBODY has more NBA players in the league than Calipari during his 13 year tenure here. NO ONE! Look if you want to pretend that he hasn't squandered most of that talent with little to show for it, go right ahead. But don't sit there and pretend like Kansas State's or St. Peter's were anything other than simply better coached than we were. As far a John Wooden, my God man. He won 10 titles in a 12 year period. I'm not sure what point you are even attempting to make here.

The board said this off season we will lose 10-12 games with talent. About 80% say that here,, as I said they will lose about 4-6 games and be a 2 seed. Make an elite 8. It's a good team.

NOBODY has more NBA players in the league than Calipari during his 13 year tenure here. NO ONE! Look if you want to pretend that he hasn't squandered most of that talent with little to show for it, go right ahead. But don't sit there and pretend like Kansas State's or St. Peter's were anything other than simply better coached than we were. As far a John Wooden, my God man. He won 10 titles in a 12 year period. I'm not sure what point you are even attempting to make here.
Nobody has also had more NBA busts, so it goes both ways. Just having guys get to the league doesn't mean they deserve to be there because of their play in college. He has several dudes that accomplished next to nothing in college still get contracts.

Many of the most talented teams in the country haven't won it either. Duke has had a lot of talent in that same timeframe and came up short far more often than not, often to bad teams. Same with KU, UNC and others. UCONN certainly wasn't the most talented team last year, nor were the other 3 F4 teams. Having talent simply doesn't make you a winner.

St. Peters must have been better coached than a lot of teams because they made it pretty far.

He did, but you seem to not understand the initial argument that I was replying to. It insinuated Cal had lost more times than he had won, and I asked which coach hasn't. Then I used John Wooden, who is often considered the Goat and has far more titles than anyone else, as someone who still came up short of a title more often than not. Did that help you understand, or should I simplify it more?

Last edited:
I agree that this team does just has a different feel about it. It seems they have an enthusiasm that effects everyone who gets on the floor. That has been missing the last few years. Call it chemistry or what ever, but it seems different and is showing up in Cal as well. Before these games I was very pessimistic about this team's ability. But something is different.
I have noticed it as well. Cal even seems a little different...a little swag maybe? And the guys on the team seem to really enjoy being together...on and off the court. I'm trying to hold it down, but I think I'm getting a little tingley feeling. Maybe it's just a cold...lol.
GO CATS💙💙💙💙

I have noticed it as well. Cal even seems a little different...a little swag maybe? And the guys on the team seem to really enjoy being together...on and off the court. I'm trying to hold it down, but I think I'm getting a little tingley feeling. Maybe it's just a cold...lol.
GO CATS💙💙💙💙
No disrespect but if you go back a year ago people said swaggy Cal was back before last year’s disaster.

Reactions: susan2361
Don’t do this to yourself, they look good but they still have a long way to go

Yeah I admit we already won the title I’m just gonna hold off on the awards ceremony until we see if we have a frontcourt.

So, you are saying Pitino failed more times than not, right? And he has been owned more times by Cal than almost any other coach. Your defense of Pitino is what you felt like he would do after the fact, but truth was he just cheated and got the other championship he won vacated. Sure sounds like his sphincter got tight and cut off the blood to his brain to cause him to feel the need to cheat to win.

Any actual coaches who haven't failed to win it all more times than not?
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? Jibberish you do well.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

It is really F'ing hard to win a CBB NCAAT. Yeah, Cal should probably have 2 bare minimum. His philosophy is high risk, high reward.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
The best team usually doesn't win in this one and done tournament. Cal has a couple of more titles in a best of seven like the NBA. It's the most exciting tournament, but with only three or four kids determining winning or losing, it doesn't take much to take out a better team.

This team is different, Mitchell and Reeves are legit experienced players. Adu is turning into something special and I believe Ugo will be much improved when we see him
Wagner is a superstar and doesn’t look like they’ll be able to keep Sheppard on the bench.
Justin Edwards is a top 5 NBA pick and I don’t have him in my starting 5:
Wagner
Sheppard
Reeves
Mitchell
Ugo

I was never sold on our roster last year. We could discuss flaws until cows come home. This team feels different.

This team is different. We got Reed Shepherd wearing dad jersey around. That has to resonate with the team.

We had better talent than we showed last season. Injuries and bad lineup decisions made us look worse than we were. It took too long for Cal to bench Wheeler. Reeves should have been starting and playing 30 a game from the beginning. And thiero probably should have gotten some of the clock that livingston was getting. At least for developmental purposes since it seems like Cal knew livingston was gone after the season no matter what.

Nobody has also had more NBA busts, so it goes both ways. Just having guys get to the league doesn't mean they deserve to be there because of their play in college. He has several dudes that accomplished next to nothing in college still get contracts.

Many of the most talented teams in the country haven't won it either. Duke has had a lot of talent in that same timeframe and came up short far more often than not, often to bad teams. Same with KU, UNC and others. UCONN certainly wasn't the most talented team last year, nor were the other 3 F4 teams. Having talent simply doesn't make you a winner.

St. Peters must have been better coached than a lot of teams because they made it pretty far.

He did, but you seem to not understand the initial argument that I was replying to. It insinuated Cal had lost more times than he had won, and I asked which coach hasn't. Then I used John Wooden, who is often considered the Goat and has far more titles than anyone else, as someone who still came up short of a title more often than not. Did that help you understand, or should I simplify it more?
Oh look. Leadbelly is back with his 673rd sock account. Wonder how long this one will last

Cal is paid the highest salary to be held to different standard. He is the UK coach. He is not coaching at x university making less than half the salary he does here. He is expected to perform as coach at a higher standard.

it’s pretty easy to just say this team will fall apart once the competition improves. It’s a safe bet.

But I’m going to try to stay positive and hope things are better this season.

I know it will come back to bite me, but I just got to stay positive.

No disrespect but if you go back a year ago people said swaggy Cal was back before last year’s disaster.
Yes, I do agree with you. I guess I'm just hoping for a different outcome this year. It may prove futile, but I guess I was hoping for a different outcome..
lol🤪😜
GO CATS!!!!💙💙💙💙💙

Yes, I do agree with you. I guess I'm just hoping for a different outcome this year. It may prove futile, but I guess I was hoping for a different outcome..
lol🤪😜
GO CATS!!!!💙💙💙💙💙
I hope they go undefeated and win 9, maybe I’m wrong to say slow your roll and wait till some games are played.

Reactions: susan2361
Yes the Guards look really good. But I am not sold on the competition being great. I don't care if they are pro's or not in their country.
I think this team has a chance to be very very good. But we don't know if another player will quit before the season is over. We don't know if someone will transfer before the season starts or in December. Things you never use to have to even consider is now in play every year. Plus injuries in March always seem to happen.
I am excited but not ready to say this will be a team that makes a deep tournament run. I will say the guards are better than the last few years. If they are all happy and if they all stay all season and if they stay healthy. And if Cal allows them to play the style they have played so far all season. Team should make a deep run. Lots of IF'S THOUGH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT