ADVERTISEMENT

This heat sucks.

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Until I graduated high school and moved away from home, every summer from an early age I hauled hay and worked our huge garden, and I worked in tobacco year-round. I can't even entertain the thought of doing that now. I can't stand the heat any more.

I hike a lot but all summer this year I've been indoors, with the AC cranked. I guess I'm gonna go get a PS5. None of my friends are PC gamers. Luddites.

This sucks.

I just wanted to vent. That is all.

MV5BMjI5NTc4MTYzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTAwMTgzNw@@._V1_.jpg

Summer heat is dangerous for anyone with a heart condition. Ky temps reached 114 degrees in 1930. That must’ve been brutal.

My grandpa was in his mid-teens in 1930. When we worked on the farm when I was a kid (1980s), I'd whine about the heat, and he'd tell me about the wicked summers when he was a kid and to just put it out of my mind -- don't think about it, just learn to let it not bother you -- which is what his older brothers told him when he was a kid. He could do it easily. I used to be able to somewhat, but I just can't any more.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Makes me want to go north in the summer vs south in the winter.

It ain't much better up here. Even in the ADKs Temps still hit the mid 90s with a ton of humidity. It's been swampy the last week.

Honestly the northeast really ain't that great in the summer. I think we're only a smidge cooler than places in the mid Atlantic. We have an awful lot of weeks in the summer where it's not even worth being outside.

I've never been a fan of hot temps. I worked outside in Maine and Nebraska and also worked a number of years in a refrigerated warehouse. So I'm definitely not built for the heat. I do better in the cold, but would prefer it to be like mid 70's year round.

So what are some good PS5 games?

I'm getting Tekken 8 and Guilty Gear Strive for sure, and my friends will want me to get Baldur's Gate 3 even though I reeeeeally don't want to play it (I played the hell out of 1 and 2, and the Icewind Dale games, but those kinds of games just don't appeal to me any more).

So what are some good PS5 games?

I'm getting Tekken 8 and Guilty Gear Strive for sure, and my friends will want me to get Baldur's Gate 3 even though I reeeeeally don't want to play it (I played the hell out of 1 and 2, and the Icewind Dale games, but those kinds of games just don't appeal to me any more).
Dead space remake, Resident evil 4 remake, final fantasy rebirth, days gone (a little generic, but it's got fun gameplay mechanics).

• Love
Reactions: BC_Wader and J_Dee
By the way, my AC is on its last legs during this. Had to replace a capacitor and the fan motor. Cost me like $1,600. It was either that or about $7k to $8k for a new one. Hoping I can at least get through the summer now and not have to worry about replacing it until at least next year or beyond.
Dang. You can buy a capacitor for 12 bucks off of Amazon and change it in 5 minutes. All kinds if videos on YouTube. As long as you have the correct UF number, you’re good to go. I match up the voltage for good measure. I changed one out last year and just bought one to have for standby on another unit. The brand doesn’t matter but I usually use Titan. I open the air conditioners every year to see if the capacitors are bubbled up on top.

Last edited:
Dead space remake, Resident evil 4 remake, final fantasy rebirth, days gone (a little generic, but it's got fun gameplay mechanics).

Excellent -- I've actually never played Dead Space, so it'll be the first game that I get it right after I've learned all of the ins and outs of Tekken and Guilty Gear. I might get the RE4 remake eventually, but I'm in no hurry because I've played the hell out of most of that series, and I'll try Days Gone sometime. I'll most definitely get Final Fantasy, but probably not until part three's out. When the original was released in '97, two of my best friends and I took off work and were at KB Toys (where we had it pre-ordered) in our FF7 t-shirts before the store even opened. Great times. Thanks for the suggestions. =)

Reactions: RunninRichie
Dang. You can buy a capacitor for 12 bucks off of Amazon and change it in 5 minutes. All kinds if videos on YouTube. As long as you have the correct UF number, you’re good to go. I match up the voltage for good measure. I changed one out last year and just bought one to have for standby on another unit. The brand doesn’t matter but I usually use Titan. I open the air conditioners every year to see if the capacitors are bubbled up on top.
I have no idea what you’re saying but I think I need to learn.

Excellent -- I've actually never played Dead Space, so it'll be the first game that I get it right after I've learned all of the ins and outs of Tekken and Guilty Gear. I might get the RE4 remake eventually, but I'm in no hurry because I've played the hell out of most of that series, and I'll try Days Gone sometime. I'll most definitely get Final Fantasy, but probably not until part three's out. When the original was released in '97, two of my best friends and I took off work and were at KB Toys (where we had it pre-ordered) in our FF7 t-shirts before the store even opened. Great times. Thanks for the suggestions. =)
Never played the Dead Space remake as I don't have a next gen console but have played all the Dead Space games before. Dead Space 2 is THE best game I have ever played. I still fire it up on occasion after all these years on my Xbox OneX. Probabaly the biggest gamer on Youtube, TheRadBrad, has our protaganist as his avatar. And for good reason. The game is phenomenal and still holds up very well.

Reactions: J_Dee
I've never been a fan of hot temps. I worked outside in Maine and Nebraska and also worked a number of years in a refrigerated warehouse. So I'm definitely not built for the heat. I do better in the cold, but would prefer it to be like mid 70's year round.
I work outside but thankfully at night. Still hot as heck because all that concrete just radiates the heat. I couldn't imagine working out there in the daytime.

Reactions: J_Dee and KyCatFan
When I was a kid, you couldn't keep me inside even if it was 110.
As a teenager I mowed lawns and helped other people with tobacco to earn baseball card money. Heat wasn't an issue.

In my 20s, I started working office jobs and lost all ability to tolerate the heat. Once it hits 85, I don't go outside unless I have to or it's mowing day. Summer is my fourth favorite season. I'll take a foot of snow and 8 degrees over 96 with 87 percent humidity any day.

I have no idea what you’re saying but I think I need to learn.
It’s the biggest scam in hvac. A little aluminum can (battery) that can be replaced by a caveman in minutes. The biggest sign is when the ac starts blowing warm air inside. You go outside and the fan is running, so the unit is fine but you just need to swap out the capacitor. I’ll post the best video I can find.

Last edited:
Dang it's hot, gosh it's hot.... Oh well, life goes on until it doesn't....

Went fishing and crabbing this past Wednesday. It was hot but oh well. Had a slight breeze and sun block.

I spend too much time in doors. Gotta hit the sun or at least let it hit me. If I never see another snowflake that is okay....(Michigander by birth...) As long as I can splash myself with cool water, I am thankful....

Dead space remake has stuttering issues on PC. And EA basically is done updating the game. So def get it on playstation.

Simple Video. The one thing he didn’t do to be totally safe was to hold the rubber end of the screw driver and touch the metal end of the screwdriver to two capacitor terminals 2 at a time to make sure they don’t have any power to them. 99.9% of the time they won’t, but just to be safe. Do all three combinations where you are touching two terminals at the same time. Also, just take a picture on your phone before removing the wires so you know how to put them back in on the new capacitor. Much easier than labeling tbem.

I’d go to each of your ac units, open them up and take a picture of each capacitor and buy a spare. The UF numbers need to match, so if it’s 35 + 5, buy the same one. If it’s 25 + 5, buy the same one, etc. I get the same VAC number to be safe. It’s usually 370 or 440. I also try to get one with the same shaped can so you don’t have to bend the fastener that holds it in place. They are either tall and skinny or short and wide so just get one that matches your old one.

4 Signs of a bad capacitor:

It’s not cooling inside but the outside fan is running.
It’s not cooling inside and the fan outside is not running but you hear the motor is on.
It’s not cooling inside and it’s not doing anything outside.
The capacitor is deformed at the top.

I always keep a spare on hand and assume it’s a capacitor problem. If I pop a new one on and it still doesn’t work, I then call the HVAC guy as long as the filter is clean and the drain line isn’t clogged. You should run a cup or two of distilled vinegar through the drain line EVERY spring before you start using the AC.

Last edited:
As my username suggests, I'm a retired welder. I can remember all too well welding such things as backhoe buckets, trailer axles and practically anything else you can think of, and it was brutal in the heat of summer. I could handle it relatively well when I was younger, and even now I try not to complain too much because I absolutely hate the cold months.

I can remember once I was called to the campus on E.K.U. (we had the contract on them for 30+ years.) It was directly in front of Magregor Hall; a steam line has burst and they had no heat, and it was just barely above zero with a wind of about 20-25 mph. It was COLD. I kept the truck running with the heat on and would have to stop working because I would begin trembling from the cold after about ten minutes. And oh yeah, I was in a huge hole they had dug to reach the line, lying on my back half the time to be able to weld the underside of my welds. It was COLD.

Winter can kiss my ass.

There WAS one good thing that happened that would keep me in the truck a little longer sometimes: some of the girls were drinking, and they would holler out " Mr. WELDER, PLEASE HURRY, ALL THE WHILE SHOWING ME THEIR BREASTS, LOL.

The worst part about this heat? I’ve been at the pool all weekend, am tan, have lost weight as I’m not craving heavy foods, and my kids have been enjoying popsicles on the beautiful nights outside while chasing fireflies.5 degree February and flu season can’t get here soon enough!!

The thing remake coming out soon. Also saw there's a metal gear solid 3 remake sometime this year. Speaking of dead space, I'm playing Calisto protocol right now.

Loved the Res Evil 4 remake, but I think I may have like res evil 8 village better...if you haven't played it, it's developed in the same manner...more shooting, a merchant, etc

Reactions: RunninRichie
The thing remake coming out soon. Also saw there's a metal gear solid 3 remake sometime this year. Speaking of dead space, I'm playing Calisto protocol right now.

Loved the Res Evil 4 remake, but I think I may have like res evil 8 village better...if you haven't played it, it's developed in the same manner...more shooting, a merchant, etc
Yeah the thing remake looks good. I played RE8. It's more of a shooter game than a horror game. But I will say that baby scene is horrifying. A giant unborn baby chasing you while screaming ''dada'' is skincrawling. RE2 is still the best RE i've played. That or RE7.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Speaking of going north, spending two weeks in Wisconsin in late July/early August, with daughter, SIL and grandson. Temp about 80 there, very little humidity, long days for golf, really looking forward to it, especially after playing in 95 degrees Friday and Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT