ADVERTISEMENT

This has to be the end

Jan 11, 2016
By the looks of who is coming and going off of this team right now. Next year is going to be a disaster. None of the freshmen we have coming in are elite. They’re good players but there’s no Wall, Fox, Dillingham, Murray…. In this group. The only player that I think might come back is Wagner. Reed might come back but I think when the dust settles. His family and him are going to make the smart decision. He’s going to go be a top 10 draft pick. Quite literally the smartest thing he can do. He and his family are not dumb. They are going to look at the roster we’re gonna have next year. He’s gonna know it’s gonna be a disaster even with him on the team. Who knows about the portal, it’s a crapshoot. If you’re a junior or senior in the portal. Would you want to come to Kentucky knowing that Cal is going to play his freshman, no matter what? I just don’t see us getting anybody impactful from the portal. It doesn’t look like we’re gonna have the players to allow us to run a decent offense. It’s gonna be too bigs in the post, dribble the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and chuck up a prayer. Looks like we’re gonna be relying on freshman to play defense again. How has that worked out for the last four years? We may have a 15+ lost team next year. I don’t see us having a roster that can even compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament. If this is not the end of this joke, I don’t know what we can do. By the sounds of it, Mitch is going to ride with Cal no matter what. I have a feeling there’s gonna be a lot of empty seats in Rupp Arena next year. Maybe that will send a message. I don’t know just venting.

By the looks of who is coming and going off of this team right now. Next year is going to be a disaster. None of the freshmen we have coming in are elite. They’re good players but there’s no Wall, Fox, Dillingham, Murray…. In this group. The only player that I think might come back is Wagner. Reed might come back but I think when the dust settles. His family and him are going to make the smart decision. He’s going to go be a top 10 draft pick. Quite literally the smartest thing he can do. He and his family are not dumb. They are going to look at the roster we’re gonna have next year. He’s gonna know it’s gonna be a disaster even with him on the team. Who knows about the portal, it’s a crapshoot. If you’re a junior or senior in the portal. Would you want to come to Kentucky knowing that Cal is going to play his freshman, no matter what? I just don’t see us getting anybody impactful from the portal. It doesn’t look like we’re gonna have the players to allow us to run a decent offense. It’s gonna be too bigs in the post, dribble the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and chuck up a prayer. Looks like we’re gonna be relying on freshman to play defense again. How has that worked out for the last four years? We may have a 15+ lost team next year. I don’t see us having a roster that can even compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament. If this is not the end of this joke, I don’t know what we can do. By the sounds of it, Mitch is going to ride with Cal no matter what. I have a feeling there’s gonna be a lot of empty seats in Rupp Arena next year. Maybe that will send a message. I don’t know just venting.
Thank you for your service

You never know, if we lose enough, does Mitch and UK face some heat to rethink this?

He gave him one more year on the premise that he can do a little better than a 3-seed and 1st round exit in the SECT and NCAAT, right?

Well at the rate this is going, we won't even sniff that.

Mitch, you might want to rethink this and put some calls back out there.

It will.

Once the buyout gets low enough UK can afford it on top of buying out a new coach and paying his salary.

We are stuck in the Cal abyss for at least two more years, IMO.

• Sad
Reactions: Ky grandpa
You never know, if we lose enough, does Mitch and UK face some heat to rethink this?

He gave him one more year on the premise that he can do a little better than a 3-seed and 1st round exit in the SECT and NCAAT, right?

Well at the rate this is going, we won't even sniff that.

Mitch, you might want to rethink this and put some calls back out there.

Mitch is just here to get a check just like Cal and all his coaches.... Barney does not need to be the one bringing in the next coach... That decision needs to be taken out of his hands "if" he is still the AD.... I hope he and Cal are gone after this season...

GBB

Why do you think none of the new guys are elite? Dillingham was consensus #16 and Sheppard was consensus #33.

It's farmore likely that incoming recruits WON'T meet their ranking as freshman. We are extremely lucky to see two lesser freshman absolutely SMASH their rankings.. we've only seen that a few times.. SGA, Herro, maybe Ulis?

I'd say the short list is just Reed, Dilly, SGA, and Herro.. and we had two of them in one year.

More often than not, any sub top10 recruit is not going to have a great freshman season. I think we just got lucky.

Why do you think none of the new guys are elite? Dillingham was consensus #16 and Sheppard was consensus #33.
I could be wrong. Past experience tells me the only freshman under Cal that end up being elite are point guards and a few centers. Maybe Boogie turns into something special for us. I hope that’s the case but I’m not willing to bet the season on it.

Mitch is just here to get a check just like Cal and all his coaches.... Barney does not need to be the one bringing in the next coach... That decision needs to be taken out of his hands "if" he is still the AD.... I hope he and Cal are gone after this season...

GBB
Yeah it’s time for bbn to turn its ire to Barney. These clowns talk about everything at UK like it belongs to him. He is problem number 1 imo to demotivate our coach.

That is a huge point that no upper classmen worth a damn are going to want to come here knowing that they will be screwed out of earned play time

Exactly, not a damn fan on here was singing the praises of Dillingham or Sheppard. Ironic enough, everyone was high on Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw. The 2 lowest ranked guys actually turned out to be the best players. So nobody knows who will be good. You can't just look at the number beside the player (HS ranking) and say for certain he will be good / bad. For all we know, Perry COULD be Sheppard 2.0 and Fland could be Dillingham. ALL 6 of the guys may be better than people think, I seriously doubt all 6 will be worse than thought. How high was people on SGA ? Herro ? Some kids mature and actually get better over the HS / beginning of college year. Not saying they will be studs, but to sit around miserable and look at players on paper and determining they will not be worth a damn, to me is just silly.

It will.

Once the buyout gets low enough UK can afford it on top of buying out a new coach and paying his salary.

Craft was asked to "pay the carpetbagger" his buyout and like any intellegent businessman would do ... he said no. I don't blame him for a second. Calipari doesn't deserve another dime from the University or anyone. This University will have to SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES of these enormously stupid decisions that have been made around this program. It's what happens when morons and fools are at the helm controlling the purse-strings. UK Athletics is currently a CRIME SCENE.

We quite literally have no idea what the roster will look like at this point. The college basketball season isn't even over yet, and you're already declaring with certainty that there is no reasonable path to putting a solid team together? I just don't understand this thought process. Take a big deep breath, and understand there is a LONG ways to go before any reasonable discussion can be had about what our roster will be at start of next season. If you're this hysterically upset, and have already given up, why even be a fan? Go find something else to be happy about and put some positive energy towards that.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Next year looking like a 15 win season IMO. The black cloud currently around the program will ward off returnees and transfers alike, never mind the roster uncertainty transfers would have had with the one-foot-in the NBA one-foot-out holding pattern all spring.

This was the year to pull the trigger, there is no hope on the horizon.

Last edited:
Exactly, not a damn fan on here was singing the praises of Dillingham or Sheppard. Ironic enough, everyone was high on Wagner, Edwards and Bradshaw. The 2 lowest ranked guys actually turned out to be the best players. So nobody knows who will be good. You can't just look at the number beside the player (HS ranking) and say for certain he will be good / bad. For all we know, Perry COULD be Sheppard 2.0 and Fland could be Dillingham. ALL 6 of the guys may be better than people think, I seriously doubt all 6 will be worse than thought. How high was people on SGA ? Herro ? Some kids mature and actually get better over the HS / beginning of college year. Not saying they will be studs, but to sit around miserable and look at players on paper and determining they will not be worth a damn, to me is just silly.
But as much as we all loved both shep and dilly, both disappeared during the tournament when it mattered most.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
We quite literally have no idea what the roster will look like at this point. The college basketball season isn't even over yet, and you're already declaring with certainty that there is no reasonable path to putting a solid team together? I just don't understand this thought process. Take a big deep breath, and understand there is a LONG ways to go before any reasonable discussion can be had about what our roster will be at start of next season. If you're this hysterically upset, and have already given up, why even be a fan? Go find something else to be happy about and put some positive energy towards that.
You tellem' Bgood -- no need to worry .. Be Happy !! Cal is going on a revenge tour !! We got dawgs coming in , I'm sure of it .. Positive Energy !!

Even if he fails to make the tourney, Mitch will NOT fire him. That was evident from watching that clown show of an interview with the both of them

It's farmore likely that incoming recruits WON'T meet their ranking as freshman. We are extremely lucky to see two lesser freshman absolutely SMASH their rankings.. we've only seen that a few times.. SGA, Herro, maybe Ulis?

I'd say the short list is just Reed, Dilly, SGA, and Herro.. and we had two of them in one year.

More often than not, any sub top10 recruit is not going to have a great freshman season. I think we just got lucky.

For one, Quaintance is top 10. Maybe they won't, but when you have 4 tickets that are basically 50/50, you have a chance at a couple elite guys.

Don't forget Bledsoe, Lamb, Cauley-Stein, Ulis, Booker, and Washington.

My point is that these guys are somewhat unique. Fland is a legit PG with NYC roots. Knox is a lot better than he's getting credit for, Richmond also, and Quaintance is going to be a good freshman.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
To take it a step further, Quaintance is the #1 rated center #7 overall, Fland is the #1 PG, #19 overall. We have the #1 Center and #1 PG, to say NONE of these guys looks elite, well then nobody has a elite PG or Center coming in next year,, according to rankings some like to use.
I think Billy Richmond will be the best freshman we have next year, Why ? Because he is a very strong, hard working player and will do the work needed to be the best he can be. It is just my opinion, but I think he will be a lot better than his ranking says. One thing for certain, as a life long, diehard UK fan, I will not sit around and ONLY look at the negatives. Yes we are in a bad spot right now, but I chose to look for things that CAN help us. Misery loves company, and I can only think about the bad for so long.

The old saying "Can't never Could do nothing" rings true.

The apologist out in full force .. its amazing ... We Love Cal FB page >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That Way

Cal better dominate the portal. UT would have sucked without Knecht but he has already got them to a sweet 16. Not saying transfers like that are just laying around but if Cal can find just three good players in the portal it sure would help.

Reactions: G-PIP
... it's because I am a fan that I give a shit. Other fans before any of us "cared" and demanded a standard of excellence so that you and I might have a program to be proud of. Some "so-called" fans prefer to say nothing except quarrel about those who do say something. You do you and I will do me. I will be fine with that although we may not agree.

The apologist out in full force .. its amazing ... We Love Cal FB page >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That Way
What is amazing, is that a simple level-headed post, with common sense reasonable statements, is met by the pitch-fork wielding buffoons at every turn. I, like most, thought a coaching change was needed, but once that decision was finalized, there is literally nothing I can do to change that. I choose to have hope, and I'll root for them to win every game next year regardless. If pounding your fists, and yelling at the sky is more your style, so be it.

For one, Quaintance is top 10. Maybe they won't, but when you have 4 tickets that are basically 50/50, you have a chance at a couple elite guys.

Don't forget Bledsoe, Lamb, Cauley-Stein, Ulis, Booker, and Washington.

My point is that these guys are somewhat unique. Fland is a legit PG with NYC roots. Knox is a lot better than he's getting credit for, Richmond also, and Quaintance is going to be a good freshman.

What does “with NYC roots” mean in the context of being an elite player or an elite PG? Specifically I mean?

Cal CAN be removed with cause IF this ignorant "College" would play hard ball. Seem too stupid to do anything.. (Yeah I saw that so-called contract someone posted. Was the work of a grade-schooler.)

Reactions: cathead64
What is amazing, is that a simple level-headed post, with common sense reasonable statements, is met by the pitch-fork wielding buffoons at every turn. I, like most, thought a coaching change was needed, but once that decision was finalized, there is literally nothing I can do to change that. I choose to have hope, and I'll root for them to win every game next year regardless. If pounding your fists, and yelling at the sky is more your style, so be it.
That has to be you in your avatar . Signed Buffoon with no legit gripes at all.

Reactions: KFuqua
It will.

We keep paying the buyout at his established monthly pay periods until the ten years is up. It's not a lump sum.

Cowl is just a fixed cost. He's a fine. He's a penalty for stupid decisions. If you can't afford $6 mil this year, what gonna change next year? Are we really gonna sit here and pretend that we're gonna keep him the length of the contract?

At some point in the next five years you will be paying Cowl and another coach at the same time.

Get on with it.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
I'll be amazed if we put together a good enough class that can get past the first weekend of the tournament. What kind of assistant coaches or top transfers will want to come work/play for a lame duck coach? That's if we actually do any firings. Another disappointing season is inevitable at this point. Cal will need the ghost of Rupp to possess him if we are to see a major coaching change from the goooooooooo runnnnnnnnnnn system.

We keep paying the buyout at his established monthly pay periods until the ten years is up. It's not a lump sum.

Cowl is just a fixed cost. He's a fine. He's a penalty for stupid decisions. If you can't afford $6 mil this year, what gonna change next year? Are we really gonna sit here and pretend that we're gonna keep him the length of the contract?

At some point in the next five years you will be paying Cowl and another coach at the same time.

Get on with it.

Preaching to the choir, man. I don’t sign the checks.

I just know money is a bigger motivator to university administrators than wins and losses.

What are you all talking about? This has happened every year Calipari has been at Kentucky. This isn't unusual.

I'll say this.. if Quintance is the real deal at center.. that will go a LONG way into our post play, rebounding, defense, etc.

It seems last year we had all back court, no front court.. last two years it was the opposite. We really have struggled to put together a starting 5 that was top25. We had pieces that were the best in the nation, but we had other pieces that were weak.

Give me 5 starting guys that are great at what they do, then 3 elite guys and 2 others that are sub par. If we can do that next year, I'll be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT