ADVERTISEMENT

This guy is high on Pope's Cats

Similar, except he has Kentucky written across it now. Teams play out of their minds against UK. Teams take a nap when playing BYU.

11-7 in the SEC is pretty close to where i'd put them, too.
Actually kelvin Sampson said popes teams were the most difficult to prepare for.

He can go .500 as long as he wins all the home games. Seriously, this was a tear down to the studs rebuild. I wonder if Mitch explained that going in??

I don’t remember Billy Clyde getting anything close to all-conference guys in his first year.

I'm not angry, just being realistic. He was left a program without a player, it's a full rebuild. Thats why i predict a sort of bad season.

Pope is a good guy, i like him, but he lost a lot of games at BYU, a lot. Acting like he's going to be Roy Williams on year 1 isn't happening.
Over the last 5 years Cal lost a lot of games at UK, A LOT!

The B12 and SEC were comparable conferences last year, so SOS should be similar.
So you think the talent he had at (difficult to recruit to BYU, impossible without NIL) was comparable to what he has at UK this year?
Robinson for Robinson is about the only 1. I would take Butler, Oweh, Williams, and Carr over all 4 comparable BYU starters last year. And would easily take our bench over their's (minus Robinson).
Will we be "elite", very unlikely. But we should be better than mediocre.
But also keep in mind last year after the top 5 or so, the next 10 in the country all had about 8 losses.
I think us at 10 (+ or - 2) losses is about right, with how deep the SEC will be.
22-9, 11-7 going into SEC-T.

So you think we finish with 11 losses instead of 12? Odds of winning sec or ncaa tourney are low statistically.

I 100% agree with the point about parity though. I think over time with NIL we will see it more and more. People may have to temper their overall record and wins/loss expectations a bit most seasons.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Well, if we do lose 12 games and make the tournament, it will be just about as good as last year with a team full of All Americans. I'd be happy with that, having to hand pick your team late in the process with a new coach and still having a bull's eye on the program every game, I'll take it.

Except BYU is also crushing it in recruiting now. Everything is different except for the salty ones still salty. Maybe saltier.
BYU is in the running for some big names now largely bc they have a year under their belt on the B12 now. They aren’t viewed as a step down in competition level on the recruiting circuit. They are in, what previously was, arguably the top basketball conference and had a year to show they contended.

Point 2 of the boost in recruiting is that they are riding the wave of being associated with UK/Cal-Arkansas media cycle. They got a lot of free press and went and hired a big name NBA up and comer coach to try to rebrand theirselves as a “we have nba connects” 1nD get to the league route. Being included in the UK/Cal-Ark media frenzy also awakened some of the deep pocket boosters into the bidding war that recruiting fully turned into this offseason (and there are some biggggg money Morman boosters and BYu is the premier default Morman university similar to Notre Dame for Catholics). I doubt it continues to stay this way and last in the long run but it’s been a perfect storm for BYU the last 6-12 months with perfect timing to join the B12.

BYU is in a position now that they weren’t in 2+ years ago

People tend to forget how hard it is to attract talent to BYU; athletes have to sign morality clauses and live up to a strict honor code. A lot of which runs directly contrary to the a young adult college mindset.

I have no doubt we will have some games this year where we go, "Oh ish. What did we do?" But we will be fine. Pope has the right attitude and he's a solid XO coach, who seems to be willing to surround himself with people that will help him. That is a HUGE change in and of itself.

I go into this season with NO expectations. I could see us being decently good. I could also see us have a rough year. And if we do have a rough year, we all need to be patient and give Pope time. We gave BCG two years....we can at least do that for Pope.

Also, Pope beat KU AT KU. That's not easy to do.
Saw a TikTok where students at BYU were asked which they would choose, war or caffeine (chose war), caffeine or killing a dog (chose killing a dog). They are out there at BYU.

Last edited:
I'm not angry, just being realistic. He was left a program without a player, it's a full rebuild. Thats why i predict a sort of bad season.

Pope is a good guy, i like him, but he lost a lot of games at BYU, a lot. Acting like he's going to be Roy Williams on year 1 isn't happening.
You're an idiot. It's no comparison. He couldn't get good players at BYU because young adults like to party and touch each other. At BYU they couldn't even drink a Mt. Dew.
Stop talking about things you don't understand. Maybe go back to being racist, your sweet spot.

Last edited:
I’ve heard this before but can’t find it - anyone have a link?
I saw it on a You Tube video of one of the BYU vs Houston games. During the post game interview of Sampson he talked about how difficult it was to prepare for Pope's teams and the difficulty of defending them. The West Virginia coach that replaced Huggins said essentially the same thing in his post game interview on You Tube after thy WVU vs BYU game last season.

You think this team is a lot more talented than all his BYU teams?? We have mediocre stars from crap teams. Gillispie started with more talent. Its not Popes fault, but t-minus 4 months till this board has meltdowns on losses and people like yourself wake up.
Yes this Kentucky team is more talented than both Billy gs and last years BYU

Our new coach Pope is going to surprise a lot of opposing coaches in the SEC and basically every team we play this year. It is extremely hard to game plan against his style especially if it's the first or first few times you try to scout his system like the coaches said it's very hard.

Its always been that way no matter what conference youre in. Its like UK playing Ole Miss, the arena is 70% full and the players are half-azzing it. But then Kansas comes in and theyre playing like its life or death.

As for 12 losses, i hope im wrong, but i find it hard to believe Popes beating a seasoned Barnes, Oats, Cal, Scheyer, Mark Few, at Clemson, Ohio State, and going undefeated at home. I'm curious what Vegas would guess it as, I think 12 would be the over/under. You have to remember, this is his first year and he had to completely rebuild the program....and with mediocre stars from crap schools.
I would disagree concerning your last sentence:

Statistically speaking, Amari Williams is one of the best Centers in the country overall.

Otega Oweh and Lamont Butler are two of the best defensive guards from the transfer portal, if not the entire nation. Brandon Garrison is high up there as a Center as well.

Koby Brea and Andrew Carr were top-20 offensive transfers.

Brea, Kriisa, and Almonor shoot 40% from 3PT. Plus, we don't even know about Perry, Noah, and Chandler in that regard.

This is, by far, a more complete roster than what Calipari put on the floor last year. I doubt we have historic offensive numbers like 23-24, but I bet we have far superior defensive number than 23-24 and show-out in the tournament better than they did.

Reactions: KFuqua
The kenpom seems to be a good measure of offense and defense. I think things will get easier for pope in year 2 and beyond. Instead of trying to add 12 players in a few months he'll have a much more narrow focus. For example, if the returnees and incoming freshmen are highly skilled offensively he can look more for defensive whizzes in the transfer portal. Pope made a comment a few months back that as new players committed they were recalibrating their remaining recruits. This is exceptionally smart and should lead to really balanced teams.
Problem is with NIL and the transfer portal, it’s hard to keep good players on the roster. It becomes a bidding war, so hope our coffers are filled.

You're an idiot. It's no comparison. He couldn't get good players at BYU because young adults like to party and touch each other. At BYU they couldn't even drink a Mt. Dew.
Stop talking about things you don't understand. Maybe go back to being racist, your sweet spot.
So if he didnt get good recruits at BYU because they like to party, why is he striking out on top ones here? His best player so far is a kid he coached last year.

Yes this Kentucky team is more talented than both Billy gs and last years BYU
Climbing high on that horse.....thats an assumption, the verdict won't come for a few months. But we definitely dont have a Patterson or Meeks this season.

I think we lose 12 games. And making it to the 2nd weekend in the tourney is 50/50.

Pope did mediocre at BYU, but now with Kentucky on the chest, teams play twice as hard.
So about the same as the last guy did with a roster of 5 stars . I like our chances of getting at least to the final 16 better than if we had kept what was left of our last coach that you loved so much .

Reactions: KFuqua
I would disagree concerning your last sentence:

Statistically speaking, Amari Williams is one of the best Centers in the country overall.

Otega Oweh and Lamont Butler are two of the best defensive guards from the transfer portal, if not the entire nation. Brandon Garrison is high up there as a Center as well.

Koby Brea and Andrew Carr were top-20 offensive transfers.

Brea, Kriisa, and Almonor shoot 40% from 3PT. Plus, we don't even know about Perry, Noah, and Chandler in that regard.

This is, by far, a more complete roster than what Calipari put on the floor last year. I doubt we have historic offensive numbers like 23-24, but I bet we have far superior defensive number than 23-24 and show-out in the tournament better than they did.
In the transfer portal theyre good. Overall, as a college D-1 player with KY on the chest? I dont know, i dont see it.

This reminds me of the football board. "Theyre going to compete for an SEC title" talk, till about 3 games in.

So about the same as the last guy did with a roster of 5 stars . I like our chances of getting at least to the final 16 better than if we had kept what was left of our last coach that you loved so much .
So you're agreeing me? I have no idea what youre saying.

Most people are actually agreeing with you with regards to 12 losses and the sweet sixteen, it’s just the way you’re saying it, probably to get a rise out of people.
I guess im just direct. I'm a huge fan, attend a lot of games, but just like football.....i have perspective. Dont forget, this board was in full meltdown mode when Pope was hired. Now he's great cause we've convinced ourselves he's now better than Oats, Pearl, Barnes, Scheyer, etc.
I have low expectations this year. By the 2nd season we should be great, right? Dont overlook a coaches past record.

This will be a fun post to look back on mid-season. So many so angry that i predict 12 losses.

The bottom line is, Pope lost a lot of games at BYU. You can make an excuse why he lost so much, you can also do that for any program.

I could be wrong, but is there a coach that had a bad record at a inferior school, but then killed it when he went to a blue blood? The coaching patterns show that when a coach is great at a little school, theres a good chance he'll be great in the spotlight. But what happens when that coach is meh at a crap school? I hope im wrong, ill own it, but i just dont see him better than Barnes, Oats, Cal, Scheyer, Self, Hubert....the first couple of years. I'll stick with 12 losses this season.

Climbing high on that horse.....thats an assumption, the verdict won't come for a few months. But we definitely dont have a Patterson or Meeks this season.
We have some guys that will play in the NBA for one Robinson. The difference is the parts around Meeks and Patterson were very sub par. This team has high quality at those other positions. You will see.

We have some guys that will play in the NBA for one Robinson. The difference is the parts around Meeks and Patterson were very sub par. This team has high quality at those other positions. You will see.
How many losses are you predicting?

I will say 9 regular season losses. I think we have a team that will be incredible cohesive on offense and defense and shoot the lights out of the ball. We have guys thar aren't going to back down or get bullied by anyone and a little bit of everything on offense.

Trying to estimate our losses next year is like estimating how many hemorrhoids you're going to get. If you think that is a productive way to think 🤔 then best of luck.

You think this team is a lot more talented than all his BYU teams?? We have mediocre stars from crap teams. Gillispie started with more talent. Its not Popes fault, but t-minus 4 months till this board has meltdowns on losses and people like yourself wake up.
I think it's pretty cut and dry this team is more talented than last year's BYU team.

As far as mediocre stars from crap teams--look at the best players in college basketball last year. Knecht, Kolek, Sears, Scheierman. A lot of these dudes started off at smaller schools.

Brea was considered the best shooter in the portal/one of the best in the country.
Butler was on a SDSU team that went to the Championship game in 2023 and the Sweet 16 in 2024. His two tournament losses were both to eventual National Champions UCONN.
Robinson, Kerr, Garrison and Oweh played in the Big 12.
Carr played in the ACC
Amari Williams was considered one of the best defensive bigs in the portal as well as the best passing big in the portal.

I'd be way more upset if we had gotten the entire BYU team to come over with Pope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT