ADVERTISEMENT

So whats our weakness this year?

Name a team that's won a title without a go-to scorer. Even our least-talented title team in history (1998) had multiple late-game options: Sheppard, Turner, Mohammed, etc.

I didn't say anything about needing a "star." I said we need a close-out scorer, and we do.

EDIT: I do believe we have four or five guys who could be that guy: Robinson, Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Carr.
sometimes you don't find out who the go-to scorer is until the final four. 1998 is a good example. We were a well rounded team but even Sheppard wasn't "the guy." As you pointed out, all of our guys had the ability, and all of them delivered. I would have also included Padgett in that group given some of the clutch shots he made, especially against Duke and Utah.

The weakness is probably a new coach who acquired too many players.
Oversized roster usually leads to a log jam with minutes and players getting pissed and bad attitudes. Usually.
It's still very possible this team doesn't have those problems and Pope is able to overcome them but it's definitely a potential weakness on paper people will look at.
Nope.

Reactions: Cleatortoises
sometimes you don't find out who the go-to scorer is until the final four. 1998 is a good example. We were a well rounded team but even Sheppard wasn't "the guy." As you pointed out, all of our guys had the ability, and all of them delivered. I would have also included Padgett in that group given some of the clutch shots he made, especially against Duke and Utah.
Exactly. When a team wins the national championship, it's easy to point out after the fact who the go-to person was because it was the one who hit the clutch baskets. But for a lot of those teams, you might not have been able to point to who it would be at the start of the year.

That argument about needing a go-to scorer on this team is just lame.

Reactions: Cleatortoises
The weakness is probably a new coach who acquired too many players.
Oversized roster usually leads to a log jam with minutes and players getting pissed and bad attitudes. Usually.
It's still very possible this team doesn't have those problems and Pope is able to overcome them but it's definitely a potential weakness on paper people will look at.
After seeing a couple of injuries derail teams that were only playing 7 guys, I prefer having more guys.
96 played a lot of dudes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT