ADVERTISEMENT

This guy is high on Pope's Cats

HagginHall1999

All-American
Oct 19, 2018

Predicts a top 10 offense and 15-30 range defense. Says defense will be predicated on Butler and Williams success/failure.

I will take a Top 10 offense and Top 20 defense all day.

The most telling statement in that short article was that the goal of having a more elite and balanced offense and defense will be because of the coaching - if it lives up to its billing. Coaching has been the problem the last few years and I believe UK got an upgrade in that department.

I think we lose 12 games. And making it to the 2nd weekend in the tourney is 50/50.

Pope did mediocre at BYU, but now with Kentucky on the chest, teams play twice as hard.

• Haha
Reactions: un4getables
We’ll have a chance going into any game this season in my opinion. After watching way too much Olympic basketball it was clear if your team can shoot and isn’t at a complete disadvantage physically, you can play with anyone.

I think UK is in a huge pack of good teams going into the season. I could totally believe that our willingness and ability to shoot the 3 could be a separator.

I think we lose 12 games. And making it to the 2nd weekend in the tourney is 50/50.

Pope did mediocre at BYU, but now with Kentucky on the chest, teams play twice as hard.
You’re one of the fans who just doesn’t get how hard it is to coach bball with such limited options at BYU. He did great there based on the hand he was dealt. Won almost 70% of his games.

Please relax and look at it objectively. Hell Coach K had a 5 year 55% win ratio when he took over Duke. He did ok .. correct? Took a bit of time.

Take a breath and let CMP rewire UK. I’m predicting with a whole new roster top to bottom he will be the SEC COY.

The B12 and SEC were comparable conferences last year, so SOS should be similar.
So you think the talent he had at (difficult to recruit to BYU, impossible without NIL) was comparable to what he has at UK this year?
Robinson for Robinson is about the only 1. I would take Butler, Oweh, Williams, and Carr over all 4 comparable BYU starters last year. And would easily take our bench over their's (minus Robinson).
Will we be "elite", very unlikely. But we should be better than mediocre.
But also keep in mind last year after the top 5 or so, the next 10 in the country all had about 8 losses.
I think us at 10 (+ or - 2) losses is about right, with how deep the SEC will be.
22-9, 11-7 going into SEC-T.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
You’re one of the fans who just doesn’t get how hard it is to coach bball with such limited options at BYU. He did great there based on the hand he was dealt. Won almost 70% of his games.

Please relax and look at it objectively. Hell Coach K had a 5 year 55% win ratio when he took over Duke. He did ok .. correct? Took a bit of time.

Take a breath and let CMP rewire UK. I’m predicting with a whole new roster top to bottom he will be the SEC COY.
I'm not angry, just being realistic. He was left a program without a player, it's a full rebuild. Thats why i predict a sort of bad season.

Pope is a good guy, i like him, but he lost a lot of games at BYU, a lot. Acting like he's going to be Roy Williams on year 1 isn't happening.

Reactions: Zissou87
The kenpom seems to be a good measure of offense and defense. I think things will get easier for pope in year 2 and beyond. Instead of trying to add 12 players in a few months he'll have a much more narrow focus. For example, if the returnees and incoming freshmen are highly skilled offensively he can look more for defensive whizzes in the transfer portal. Pope made a comment a few months back that as new players committed they were recalibrating their remaining recruits. This is exceptionally smart and should lead to really balanced teams.

The B12 and SEC were comparable conferences last year, so SOS should be similar.
So you think the talent he had at (difficult to recruit to BYU, impossible without NIL) was comparable to what he has at UK this year?
Robinson for Robinson is about the only 1. I would take Butler, Oweh, Williams, and Carr over all 4 comparable BYU starters last year. And would easily take our bench over their's (minus Robinson).
Will we be "elite", very unlikely. But we should be better than mediocre.
But also keep in mind last year after the top 5 or so, the next 10 in the country all had about 8 losses.
I think us at 10 (+ or - 2) losses is about right, with how deep the SEC will be.
22-9, 11-7 going into SEC-T.
Similar, except he has Kentucky written across it now. Teams play out of their minds against UK. Teams take a nap when playing BYU.

11-7 in the SEC is pretty close to where i'd put them, too.

Damn Louis seems like youre already giving up!
Hate seeing that.
I know you’re trying to be realistic.
I think we have talent and for a change a big chip on our shoulders!

I counter that with he doesn’t have restrictions on recruiting talent now so talent will be a huge upgrade.

Reactions: chroix
Except BYU is also crushing it in recruiting now. Everything is different except for the salty ones still salty. Maybe saltier.

People tend to forget how hard it is to attract talent to BYU; athletes have to sign morality clauses and live up to a strict honor code. A lot of which runs directly contrary to the a young adult college mindset.

I have no doubt we will have some games this year where we go, "Oh ish. What did we do?" But we will be fine. Pope has the right attitude and he's a solid XO coach, who seems to be willing to surround himself with people that will help him. That is a HUGE change in and of itself.

I go into this season with NO expectations. I could see us being decently good. I could also see us have a rough year. And if we do have a rough year, we all need to be patient and give Pope time. We gave BCG two years....we can at least do that for Pope.

Also, Pope beat KU AT KU. That's not easy to do.

It’s not going to be easy with an entirely new team and coaching staff. Not a single returning player, which is nuts. Just want to see the players play hard, a game plan that makes sense, playing your best players, and then who knows what’ll happen.

I’m excited for the Pope era, but I am not really going into next season with any type of expectations. I just hope to see a team who is prepared and battles every game.

A top 10 offense and top 20 defense would be huge for year one, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT