ADVERTISEMENT

Third and 18 and you dont send the house

jeffky

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2017
Unbelievable same old same old oh well on to next year with the same old same old
Groundhog Day GIF by GIPHY News

If we ever get to hire a new coach I want a urologist on the search committee. I want them to make sure he has a good
Are you crazy who are you going to get out there that can do any better come on man we were pre season top 25 and we finished 7 and 6 that's who we are get another coach
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Angry
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
The play before we rushed 4, got pressure on the QB, got the intentional grounding, 3rd and 18 we only rush 3, QB has enough time to smoke a cigarette, finds a receiver for about 17 yds. I don't understand!! Rush 4 or even blitz with 5 make him throw quick and short, but like someone else said I'm just a Bennie.

Unbelievable same old same old oh well on to next year with the same old same old
Groundhog Day GIF by GIPHY News

I had the feeling of dread when they lined up.

I don’t get it. But we’re just Bennie’s I guess.

It was frustrating as hell, but it happens. Unfortunately, it happened to us.

It happened over and over and over and over. Why keep trying what doesn't work???

Why would anyone send the house on 3rd and 18? I get we're all pissed we lost but some posts just are way out there

Why would anyone send the house on 3rd and 18? I get we're all pissed we lost but some posts just are way out there
You don’t rush 3 where you get zero pressure on the QB. Bring 4 maybe 5. Still leaves plenty of coverage guys but more importantly you are going to force the QB to make a quicker decision. Maybe they still complete a pass for 10 yards but now your 4th and 8 not 4th and 2. Ask Auburn how rushing 3 worked out for them. It’s idiotic football but we see the same scene play over and over under stoops.

You don’t rush 3 where you get zero pressure on the QB. Bring 4 maybe 5. Still leaves plenty of coverage guys but more importantly you are going to force the QB to make a quicker decision. Maybe they still complete a pass for 10 yards but now your 4th and 8 not 4th and 2. Ask Auburn how rushing 3 worked out for them. It’s idiotic football but we see the same scene play over and over under stoops.

Bringing 4 is definitely not "bringing the house". With the personnel we had available, coverage was definitely the right call given down and distance. Especially since most all game got a really good rush with just 3. At the end I guess the front was exhausted. Understandable after our O kept turning the ball over on every play.

The real criticism should be how do we not have someone better than Jordan Robinson? Or how can a third year guy still not understand simple concepts? He's been awful all year. So you know when you put him out awful is what you're getting. Why do you continue to tolerate jq play 10 yards off and have super slow drive on the ball? He did it all year.

The worst part of the entire play was iirc they had two receivers right on top of one another. So one of their guys ran a wrong route, we had probably cover 4 and still let them complete that pass.

Final point: I still find it curious all of UK fandom is furious over brad white (as usual) but say nothing about coen when the offense turned the ball over continuously in crunch time. Or that we were on our way to blowing them out until he, yet again, insisted on throwing go routes to barion and even abs. Defense played well. Offense gave that game away

You don’t bring the house in this situation still you have to at least rush 4. But at the same time our backup Corners suck so idk man. Need to evaluate that position better.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think if they had it to do all over again, they would have called something different on defense on that 3rd and 18. That being said, our two starting corners were out of the game on that series. We had an inexperienced corner in the game and I think they were trying to protect him from giving up a big play. It obviously didn't work, but I think the soft coverage was an attempt to protect a corner they felt could make a mistake in coverage and give up a big play.

Reactions: ukalum1988
I think if they had it to do all over again, they would have called something different on defense on that 3rd and 18. That being said, our two starting corners were out of the game on that series. We had an inexperienced corner in the game and I think they were trying to protect him from giving up a big play. It obviously didn't work, but I think the soft coverage was an attempt to protect a corner they felt could make a mistake in coverage and give up a big play.
Overall I understand the call to only rush three guys….. but in that situation you’re obviously dropping eight guys into coverage.

You make a good point about not having our best CBs on the field for that play. It’s a little bit off topic for this thread, but I was very disappointed in Trevin Wallace yesterday. He didn’t make any meaningful plays that I can recall. I’ve been skeptical of Philips coming out for the draft but he played a really good game yesterday.

It just doesn't make sense. There's no explaining it.

Their QB hadn't done anything all game, no scores, no real huge plays. I think he had proved he couldn't push intermediate and deep. Our pass rush had been getting to him all day.

It also seemed like maybe the staff didn't realize how much time was left on the clock and the fact that Clemson had all their timeouts.

Just a fundamental break down in understanding the situation, and other team.

There is no need to play prevent against a guy who hadn't done anything when your regular D had actually been getting to him all game long and doing okay against the pass.

Close game, but it came down to timing and strategy.....worked out for clemson.

I dont think clemson is much better than us, they got lucky at the end.

Bringing 4 is definitely not "bringing the house". With the personnel we had available, coverage was definitely the right call given down and distance. Especially since most all game got a really good rush with just 3. At the end I guess the front was exhausted. Understandable after our O kept turning the ball over on every play.

The real criticism should be how do we not have someone better than Jordan Robinson? Or how can a third year guy still not understand simple concepts? He's been awful all year. So you know when you put him out awful is what you're getting. Why do you continue to tolerate jq play 10 yards off and have super slow drive on the ball? He did it all year.

The worst part of the entire play was iirc they had two receivers right on top of one another. So one of their guys ran a wrong route, we had probably cover 4 and still let them complete that pass.

Final point: I still find it curious all of UK fandom is furious over brad white (as usual) but say nothing about coen when the offense turned the ball over continuously in crunch time. Or that we were on our way to blowing them out until he, yet again, insisted on throwing go routes to barion and even abs. Defense played well. Offense gave that game away
1. You make a good point...>White is starting to get more heat but Coen is like a golden boy....when on the year hte offense has played worse than the defense by any measure. And when the offense is messing up....it's all Stoops is too much on the throat of the offense. Which is un balanced.

2. But this sending 3 rushers is stupid idea....but this will never end under Stoops. At times it works (UL game) and then he imagines its the best move....which it's not.

- I didn't realize Dre and Maxwell were out of game....so does give another perspective. But sending 4 rushers is not a blitz. But to make matters worse....we didn't even rush our best pass rushers. We rushed Rybka, Walker and Ox. Why Stoops/White have non pass rushers on field and not JJ/Fearby as edge rushers is stupid to be quite honest.

- Secondly, if you replay to the 15min mark of the attached video....even if we had sent 4 rushers...he was not in pocket for like 4-5 seconds. He took snap and got the ball out in like 3 seconds and dude was not even pushed by Jordan Robinson.

Reactions: ala_kat2

We brought 4 on the previous play and forced the intentional grounding. We were not getting pressure rushing 3 all game as we really didn’t do it that often. Twice in the 3rd quarter I recall we rushed 3 with Walker getting the sack (while avoiding the face mask call) on a 3rd and 14 play and another on 3rd and 23 when we gave up an 18 yard pass to set them up on 4th and 5. They also scored a TD on that drive after getting the first down on 4th, A prevent defense rushing 3 is not the right call in that situation. Had they needed to throw to the endzone, yes by all means but a first down extends the game and loses us the game. Do you recall in your lifetime when we have ecer stopped the other team from scoring in a situation like yesterday to secure the win? I sure as hell do not.

I would have liked to see a TO called on that 3rd down play, it was obvious Clemson had enough time to drive and score, so take a defensive TO, get your best personnel on the field and figure out how to stop that play, since it was the ball game if we stop them on 3rd and 4th down.

Overall I understand the call to only rush three guys….. but in that situation you’re obviously dropping eight guys into coverage.

You make a good point about not having our best CBs on the field for that play. It’s a little bit off topic for this thread, but I was very disappointed in Trevin Wallace yesterday. He didn’t make any meaningful plays that I can recall. I’ve been skeptical of Philips coming out for the draft but he played a really good game yesterday.
Wallace was UK's leading tackler with 11.

I would have liked to see a TO called on that 3rd down play, it was obvious Clemson had enough time to drive and score, so take a defensive TO, get your best personnel on the field and figure out how to stop that play, since it was the ball game if we stop them on 3rd and 4th down.
And our defense was as gassed....taking a timeout to win the game on that 3rd and 18 drive would have made sense. But we ended game with 3 TOs in our pocket.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
1. You make a good point...>White is starting to get more heat but Coen is like a golden boy....when on the year hte offense has played worse than the defense by any measure. And when the offense is messing up....it's all Stoops is too much on the throat of the offense. Which is un balanced.
The defense let up 40 ppg to ranked opponents. We ended the year 2-6. Neither side of the ball had stellar years. 7-5 was a huge disappointment.

He took snap and got the ball out in like 3 seconds and dude was not even pushed by Jordan Robinson.

Robinson is God awful and has been all year. No idea how you can play someone like that, no matter how thin we are. If it's zone anyway, roll a safety out there to get them more snaps and get better personnel.

We brought 4 on the previous play and forced the intentional grounding. We were not getting pressure rushing 3 all game as we really didn’t do it that often. Twice in the 3rd quarter I recall we rushed 3 with Walker getting the sack (while avoiding the face mask call) on a 3rd and 14 play and another on 3rd and 23 when we gave up an 18 yard pass to set them up on 4th and 5. They also scored a TD on that drive after getting the first down on 4th, A prevent defense rushing 3 is not the right call in that situation. Had they needed to throw to the endzone, yes by all means but a first down extends the game and loses us the game. Do you recall in your lifetime when we have ecer stopped the other team from scoring in a situation like yesterday to secure the win? I sure as hell do not.

I definitely have no issue with the suggestion of bringing 4. Just not "bringing the house" which was the op. It is interesting all the people claiming we played prevent gloss over he fact we brought a nickel blitz just before, which is a very aggressive call.

I remember us getting very good pressure with 3. I think it only brought one sack but always had good pressure. As pointed above, time to throw really wasn't the issue anyway.

Agree. I'm still waiting for someone to ask stoops about Dru. Sure seemed like he subbed out for something and we never got him back in because Clemson kept the same personnel. I hope it wasn't that simple

Reactions: UKat1
Did you really mean to imply that a defense should send the house on 3rd and 18? Because that’s insane

Coverage was too soft. But sending the house is a sure touchdown for them
We were getting at the qb all game long disguising blitzes and when we need to blitz he sends 3 down lineman cost us the game and if they did score we would have had time left on the clock to possibly score you and Stoops and that play not to lose mentality uggh

You don’t bring the house in this situation still you have to at least rush 4. But at the same time our backup Corners suck so idk man. Need to evaluate that position better.
You can bring four and have them to stunt, over play one side, something different. We didn’t do anything different

We were getting at the qb all game long disguising blitzes and when we need to blitz he sends 3 down lineman cost us the game and if they did score we would have had time left on the clock to possibly score you and Stoops and that play not to lose mentality uggh
You do NOT bring the house on 3rd and long. Remember when we didn’t cover the wide receiver in the Florida game several years ago? It would be like that. It’s football 101.

This is not like playing madden

Reactions: CatPatrick13
You do NOT bring the house on 3rd and long. Remember when we didn’t cover the wide receiver in the Florida game several years ago? It would be like that. It’s football 101.

This is not like playing madden
I saw what happened by not sending the house they won the game football 101 lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT