ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about Moving to E-Town

UKMKG

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 8, 2012
Has anybody lived there/currently live there? Would you recommend it? How is the drive to Lou/Lex? Housing prices are great and it's the 11th biggest city in KY with lots of things to do that most smaller towns don't have, not to mention the proximity to the major cities on 65 and BPKY.

Alot of UL fans there. There's more UK fans, but it's close. Probably 60% - 40% in favor of UK.

My in laws live there. It's not bad. Decent social life. It's about 40 mins to Louisville and it's about 75 miles to Lexington.

Isn’t E-town still dry? My wife and I stopped through on our way to Lex years ago to get beer and was told so. We had to stop in Bardstown to get our beer.

I grew up there. Good place to raise a family. Population is hard to figure. The town itself has around 30,000. But that’s kind of meaningless. All the growth is on the north end, towards Radcliffe. When I was growing up in the 1980s, those were 2 distinct, very different towns. Now they’ve almost merged together on Dixie Highway. Still, I think, a different feel between the two, but it’s harder to know when you’re leaving one and entering the other, which makes the place feel bigger. Wiki tells me there is an Elizabethtown-Ft. Knox metro area (who knew) that had around 115,000 over a decade ago, so who knows what it is now. While 30,000 is too little to capture the feel of the place, 115,000 is too much, it doesn’t feel to me like a place with a six figure population. Which would make it the 3rd or 4th biggest town in the state, depending on Bowling Green I think......

Reactions: UKMKG
Stay away from 31w north area. Stay away from the area below the rail road tracks.
Elizabethtown City schools are great

My youngest daughter was born at Hardin Memorial....over 29 years ago... Still have good friends there. May take a trip back some day....most of them want to visit us...

I grew up there. Good place to raise a family. Population is hard to figure. The town itself has around 30,000. But that’s kind of meaningless. All the growth is on the north end, towards Radcliffe. When I was growing up in the 1980s, those were 2 distinct, very different towns. Now they’ve almost merged together on Dixie Highway. Still, I think, a different feel between the two, but it’s harder to know when you’re leaving one and entering the other, which makes the place feel bigger. Wiki tells me there is an Elizabethtown-Ft. Knox metro area (who knew) that had around 115,000 over a decade ago, so who knows what it is now. While 30,000 is too little to capture the feel of the place, 115,000 is too much, it doesn’t feel to me like a place with a six figure population. Which would make it the 3rd or 4th biggest town in the state, depending on Bowling Green I think......
Ive always felt you leave ET when you go past Dixie Bowl.

You can pick up Louisville radio stations there. We used to drive 26 miles there to hear Album Hour at midnight. Uphill both ways.

Lived in Louisville my whole life and everyone I've ever met from ETown is always vocal in telling me how much they hate Etown

I was born and raised in E'town, came back home after retiring from the Air Force to be around family again. Doubt half of these people ever lived here. Far worse places to live. Expect the area to grow with V Corps Headquarters coming soon to Ft Knox.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in E'town, came back home after retiring from the Air Force to be around family again. Doubt half of these people ever lived here. Far worse places to live. Expect the area to grow with V Corps Headquarters coming soon to Ft Knox.

I would agree with you about far worse places to live, but Etown doesn't come to mind when I am "thinking" of places to move to.

born and raised there until late 70's. still have a few distant family members there and have been back as recent as last year. personally, i still love the place even though much has changed since we left. could walk to Freeman Lake and did on many occasions. weekend trips to Shakey's Pizza in loo'vul was a treat for sure!

born and raised there until late 70's. still have a few distant family members there and have been back as recent as last year. personally, i still love the place even though much has changed since we left. could walk to Freeman Lake and did on many occasions. weekend trips to Shakey's Pizza in loo'vul was a treat for sure!
Freeman Lake is nice especially when many of the bigger towns I have lived in don't even have a local park. It was quite busy there this past weekend from what I saw driving down Ring Road on my way back from Nashville to help people move.

Last edited:
I live about 20 miles or so from Etown. Don’t see what the problem is if you want to move there. I personally wouldn’t want to live in any town but I go there cause I can get anything I need there. Plus there’s a shit load of non chain restaurants there and Radcliff.

Ive always felt you leave ET when you go past Dixie Bowl.

I thought it was dixie-town-lanes? (A lot of years ago) Man some times I had in that joint. I used to throw a bowling ball and tore one of (I think the Dad's name was BL Taylor? I liked him, he was a good man. He had some good son's too.) his son's up in a game while drunk as a monkey. Dude never paid me either. Owed me like 200 bucks. (His son's could bowl but I was on it that night.)

Reactions: jedwar
I thought it was dixie-town-lanes? (A lot of years ago) Man some times I had in that joint. I used to throw a bowling ball and tore one of (I think the Dad's name was BL Taylor? I liked him, he was a good man. He had some good son's too.) his son's up in a game while drunk as a monkey. Dude never paid me either. Owed me like 200 bucks. (His son's could bowl but I was on it that night.)
Yeah I think it is Dix E Town or something.

Reactions: BBUK
Yes, you are correct about the Bowling Alley. Used to go to church with the Taylor's at Valley Creek when I first lived here. Dixie Bowl have to go further down 31-W until you get into Louisville.

Reactions: BBUK
Yes, you are correct about the Bowling Alley. Used to go to church with the Taylor's at Valley Creek when I first lived here. Dixie Bowl have to go further down 31-W until you get into Louisville.

Thanks, I knew it was Dixie highway but it has been over thirty years since that happened. I was two or three years out of the Army. I may have worked for Orkin at the time when they were in E-town over on the other end of town near the expressway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT