ADVERTISEMENT

Things you are tired of hearing announcers say?

What annoys my wife and I the most is when they agree with the call being made. Even AFTER being proven wrong via replay. That flagrant on Tre was absolutely criminal. I don’t even think it was a common foul, let alone a flagrant.
This really drives me crazy! Every time Bilas or some idiot opens their mouth about our calls it’s I agree with the official. Yet Duke and Kansas can flop and punch ppl in the face but nothing to see there.

Stupid American thing. Sorta like etcetera being pronounced “ek-setera”. Americans don’t know how to pronounce things correctly
There’s actually history to why Americans pronounce some English words differently than how they’re supposed to. It’s the same reason why we spell some words differently from the UK as well (for example, the world “color”).

The United States started doing things like this to further show our independence from GB after the revolutionary war. Call it petty but it was a time where the most of the country was feeling patriotic and hopeful about its future.

Plus, when you become back to back world war champs I think you get to decide how some words should be pronounced or spelled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The two I heard once was "They are down 2, they can tie it with a 2 or win with a 3" NO SHIT!!

And the other "Even though they're down 15, this team has the ability to come back" A side note, there was 2 to 3 minutes left on the clock.

The two I heard once was "They are down 2, they can tie it with a 2 or win with a 3" NO SHIT!!

And the other "Even though they're down 15, this team has the ability to come back" A side note, there was 2 to 3 minutes left on the clock.
Those are both aggravations for sure

Brando today in the Purdue Rutgers game...."The hoop and the "harm".

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1a6965a5-9cc8-4351-9082-440f96e7c4d1_232x172.gif
Ew

What annoys my wife and I the most is when they agree with the call being made. Even AFTER being proven wrong via replay. That flagrant on Tre was absolutely criminal. I don’t even think it was a common foul, let alone a flagrant.
I am still confused what is a cylinder foul. Trey's hand on the guys hip was in the offensive players cylinder but the Arkansas players entire body rubbing on Trey wasn't. Then the announcer said if the contact was above the shoulder it was an automatic flagrant foul despite Trey getting elbowed in the face last week and it being called on him. 🤷‍♂️

If I am Cal I am sending those 2 clips to the league office and not accepting some BS answer as to why one was an offensive flagrant foul and the other was a defensive foul the way they were called. I could understand it if the calls were reversed but not the way they were called.

Duke and UNC ALWAYS DELIVERS (apparently they didn't actually watch last year's 2 suck games)

Talking about "great defense" when a program is built around fouling and not applying offensive basketball to their plan.

Anything mentioned about the Big Ten in Basketball. This is the time of year they somehow have that league with 14 teams in the NCAA Tournament and talk of how great the league is--and they've not done a ****ing thing in almost a quarter century.

Jay Bilas and Dan Schulman ignoring the entertainment of the UK-KU game this year to do a Big Lebowski Bowling "bit".

Fran Fraschilla having an on air orgasm over anything Big 12 related.

Raftery always referencing Grant Hill's playing days (hell that new commercial Hill does the same-the guy must have an ego larger than anything we've ever seen) during any NCAA Tournament game. Could be a 1 pt game with 3 seconds left and you'll get "Grant, they could use you out there slashing and driving....." or a player throws down a monster dunk "Reminds me of you when you were at Duke....get the puppies off the ground and send it in GH".

Just ****ing kill me with anything Duke related.

Duke and UNC ALWAYS DELIVERS (apparently they didn't actually watch last year's 2 suck games)

Talking about "great defense" when a program is built around fouling and not applying offensive basketball to their plan.

Anything mentioned about the Big Ten in Basketball. This is the time of year they somehow have that league with 14 teams in the NCAA Tournament and talk of how great the league is--and they've not done a ****ing thing in almost a quarter century.

Jay Bilas and Dan Schulman ignoring the entertainment of the UK-KU game this year to do a Big Lebowski Bowling "bit".

Raftery always referencing Grant Hill's playing days (hell that new commercial Hill does the same-the guy must have an ego larger than anything we've ever seen) during any NCAA Tournament game. Could be a 1 pt game with 3 seconds left and you'll get "Grant, they could use you out there slashing and driving....." or a player throws down a monster dunk "Reminds me of you when you were at Duke....get the puppies off the ground and send it in GH".

It's typical eSpN...

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Now the things I like about today's announcers:

Ian Eagle getting #1 team lead announcer job. He's great. Enjoy his son Noah on NBC more than Mike Tirico too. But NBA paid too much for the Motor Mouth from the Motor City to make that ballsy move.

Whenever Dick Vitale takes a giant dump on the officials who run to the table to explain a call after the obligatory "monitor review". He blows them off and says "yeah yeah--okay--whatever let's go back to playing". He's been sick/not worked a lot but I love him taking a dump on those self important jackasses face when they run to the table to insert themselves into a game by always granting an extra timeout to some team who is trailing on a call that we can make from home.

I enjoy Jon Sunvold calling games. Know I'm in minority but think he does a great job explaining what is going on and not falling in love with a team or player to the point he won't call what he's seeing in front of him that night.

Andrew Catalon and Steve Lappas are the #1 team at CBS doing CBB IMO. I think Eagle is the best play by play guy--but the team of these 2 are outstanding.

You made me just picture Fran Franshilla having an O and now my lunch is ruined.

• Haha
It's typical eSpN...
Yes--forgot to add "I'm Mark Jones here with Monica McNutt" or "I'm Mike Breen here with Doris Burke" and the forced bots that put social media posts of her dribbling a ball as some affirmation she should call Men's games. I'm near 50 and can handle the ball and shoot too. Should I be on the call?

As a guy who has coached both girls/boys basketball it's not even the same sport. That doesn't mean they are bad players, but it's not nearly the same sport and for those who say it is, it's an agenda you are trying to push for whatever reason. I coached at a school where we had a D1 signee and she shot 28% for the year as a post player due to missed layups. Played in ACC for 4 yrs too. Made WNBA for a year as well. So hoop isn't hoop to me but each to their own I guess.

You made me just picture Fran Franshilla having an O and now my lunch is ruined.
Hear this voice as he's trying to sell you how a game that is 12-10 with 2 mins left in a Half is the best game of the year

"Kelvin Sampson preaches toughness and here to tell you--this Cougar team has no weaknesses-they literally could defeat Mike Tyson when he was in his prime, or Patrick Mahomes if they played FB" and immediately the opponent goes on an 8-0 run to end the Half and they are down 18-12 and he flips to talking about how great of a run that was by the finest "quick hit" coach in America--Stanislav Suckmykockski a grad assistant from Gerbil Farms, Estonia that was hired by Scott Drew to work on that aspect when down 12-10 and 2 mins left. It's next level.

Yes--forgot to add "I'm Mark Jones here with Monica McNutt" or "I'm Mike Breen here with Doris Burke" and the forced bots that put social media posts of her dribbling a ball as some affirmation she should call Men's games. I'm near 50 and can handle the ball and shoot too. Should I be on the call?

As a guy who has coached both girls/boys basketball it's not even the same sport. That doesn't mean they are bad players, but it's not nearly the same sport and for those who say it is, it's an agenda you are trying to push for whatever reason. I coached at a school where we had a D1 signee and she shot 28% for the year as a post player due to missed layups. Played in ACC for 4 yrs too. Made WNBA for a year as well. So hoop isn't hoop to me but each to their own I guess.
Exactly. But that's what eSpN wants everyone to think.

Here's my thinking. eSpN, if you want to promote an agenda, fine, pick one of the many channels that you have and go for it, but leave the seasonal MONEY making sports on the flagship channel and just talk SPORTS!

Hear this voice as he's trying to sell you how a game that is 12-10 with 2 mins left in a Half is the best game of the year

"Kelvin Sampson preaches toughness and here to tell you--this Cougar team has no weaknesses-they literally could defeat Mike Tyson when he was in his prime, or Patrick Mahomes if they played FB" and immediately the opponent goes on an 8-0 run to end the Half and they are down 18-12 and he flips to talking about how great of a run that was by the finest "quick hit" coach in America--Stanislav Suckmykockski a grad assistant from Gerbil Farms, Estonia that was hired by Scott Drew to work on that aspect when down 12-10 and 2 mins left. It's next level.
You aren't wrong. I can literally hear him saying all of that.

I'm also glad you mentioned the "tough defense" in your earlier post. Well hell if you can chop block someone then yeah they aren't gonna score. That's not exactly defense.

• Haha
Exactly. But that's what eSpN wants everyone to think.

Here's my thinking. eSpN, if you want to promote an agenda, fine, pick one of the many channels that you have and go for it, but leave the seasonal MONEY making sports on the flagship channel and just talk SPORTS!
I don’t get such a focus on women’s basketball specifically. Both softball and volleyball are better women’s sports, pretty entertaining to watch, and would be highly marketable with some funding and some focus. Why does it have to be basketball that in reality is a small niche product and can only be so good?

I don’t get such a focus on women’s basketball specifically. Both softball and volleyball are better women’s sports, pretty entertaining to watch, and would be highly marketable with some funding and some focus. Why does it have to be basketball that in reality is a small niche product and can only be so good?
You know the answer as well as I do...

Reactions: blubo

Just wait until UT game, noticed Duke-UNC playing pryor to our game we might get to see second half....I do miss the old time announcers who just called the game and left their bias out. If any members of the Cats pause was calling a UNC-Duke game could you imagine we all would butcher Duke.

Everyone's got most of this covered.

One thing that's annoying, they never seem to call a "spade a spade" to to speak. Both announcers this weekend were praising DJs play and Edwards. They wetr also petty positive about Cals offense and coaching...

What were they watching? You don't have to bash them, but if you can call things out, like "Edwards has really struggle, Kentucky needs him to prove why he was ranked so highly".

Almost makes you think they aren't really following teams as close as they maybe should be.

Todays technology and we should be able to easily pick our local announcers (radio) with the broadcast (like NFL games) or some bowl games. Then everyone would be happy. People that like the national announcers could still listen to them, we can listen to Tom and Jack. On games without the main crew you can choose not to listen to those guys (things like that).

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Now the things I like about today's announcers:

Ian Eagle getting #1 team lead announcer job. He's great. Enjoy his son Noah on NBC more than Mike Tirico too. But NBA paid too much for the Motor Mouth from the Motor City to make that ballsy move.

Whenever Dick Vitale takes a giant dump on the officials who run to the table to explain a call after the obligatory "monitor review". He blows them off and says "yeah yeah--okay--whatever let's go back to playing". He's been sick/not worked a lot but I love him taking a dump on those self important jackasses face when they run to the table to insert themselves into a game by always granting an extra timeout to some team who is trailing on a call that we can make from home.

I enjoy Jon Sunvold calling games. Know I'm in minority but think he does a great job explaining what is going on and not falling in love with a team or player to the point he won't call what he's seeing in front of him that night.

Andrew Catalon and Steve Lappas are the #1 team at CBS doing CBB IMO. I think Eagle is the best play by play guy--but the team of these 2 are outstanding.
Agree with all of that. Jon Sunvold is great.

Last night, it was driving me crazy listening to Jon Sciambi call Texas/Houston game. Can’t stand the fake “radio voice” he uses. Gets worse every season. And pared with Fran Fraschilla was just torture. Sounds like Jon is auditioning for a top 40 radio gig.

• Haha
Four decades ago fans complained about "String Music". I sure would like to hear some more of that now.
Even though Joe Dean did not like UK, I loved String Music. It is still one of the best calls for a game. Jimmy Dykes wishes he could have one that good.

Reactions: storm1507
I don’t mind Jimmy at all.
Jimmy is one of the better guys and I like him as well. It is just the network forces crap on him. Some of his sayings are horrible. Besides that he is one of my favorite out there. Spanarkel and Ian are the best pair for me. They are not SEC guys by any means but they are good announcers. Plus you gotta love saying Spanarkel (SP?) even though he was a dookie (if i recall correctly).

Jimmy is one of the better guys and I like him as well. It is just the network forces crap on him. Some of his sayings are horrible. Besides that he is one of my favorite out there. Spanarkel and Ian are the best pair for me. They are not SEC guys by any means but they are good announcers. Plus you gotta love saying Spanarkel (SP?) even though he was a dookie (if i recall correctly).
Spanarkel was one of Duke's best players on the 78 team that we beat in the championship game.

Think of how many things a sports announcer has to be -- many of them almost contradictory -- and maybe you'll cut 'em some slack.

1) They must have some liveliness to their speaking voice. That cuts out 99% of us. I once used that voice memo thing on my phone. When I played it back and heard my own voice I wanted to hammer the phone to bits. Nobody must ever know, I thought. That everybody but me already knew that never entered my mind.
2) They have to know the sport. Well.
3.) They have to be glib without being too much of a wise ass. And you can't be crude. And you can't be like your favorite funny pastor. Or like a salesman. Or like a teacher. You must be an entertainer without sounding like an entertainer.
4.) They have to be mildly funny. On cue. There was one guy, a friend of a friend, who was in person, one of the funniest people I've ever met. Someone gave him a radio show and in front of a microphone he was like someone had given him a lobotomy. I'm afraid several of you might know who I mean.
5.) Like Al McGuire said of coaching: you've got to be smart enough to do it and dumb enough to think it important.
6. You've got to make worked up remarks sound like you made them up on the spot. Goodbye, Clark Kellogg.
7. If you're getting crucial details of the game from the production booth over your headphone, you've really got to be able to do 2 things at once.

Reactions: storm1507
I forgot who did it a few games last year, but some announcer would say "that was weh-hhheeetttt" when a player splashed a 3. It made the hairs stand on my back from the secondhand embarrassment I felt.

No doubt, I’m rewatching the game right now actually. Arkansas fouls us, “I don’t know about that one, he looked pretty vertical on that.” We go down, don’t touch a soul, “that’s a good call, his hand was in the offensive players space.” The worst is he starts openly cheering for teams. Duke obviously, seems likes anyone we play, and Kansas. He’s always on them so hard.
Onions!

"There's never a better time to shoot a three than after an offensive rebound."

"He wasn't in legal guarding position."

"That was a good call. He hit him on the arm."
Replay shows clean block from 17 different angles.
(Silence)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT