ADVERTISEMENT

Things you are tired of hearing announcers say?

Jan 27, 2023
I don’t think I could work as an announcer because I couldn’t get on the air and say the same things for every single game every year for an entire career. Some things they say really annoy me:

“Buzz saw.” No one says buzz saw for any reason other than sports; online does say sometimes circular saws are called buzz saws, but no. It’s a stupid expression; all power saws buzz. Can they not think of anything other than “buzz saw,” or “gauntlet,” to describe a tough schedule?

“He can really score in bunches when he gets going.” Every player that gets going scores in bunches. Is there some other way to get going without scoring in bunches? I mean, besides of course, “lighting it up?” This one just a redundant statement of redundancy.

These are two of my announcer speak pet peeves. What are some of yours?

By the way, I don’t get musicians singing the same 1 to 3 words 25 times in a single song either. Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie and the jets.

"They don't need a 3 here...." irks me. They use it as if their ball knowledge is far superior and the average fan couldn't possibly comprehend the simple math.

Usually 5 seconds or so left and the team is in fact down 3
Or when a team is leading late, and commits a foul on a guy going to the rim and the announcer says "OH NO, NOW THEY'LL SCORE WITH NO TIME COMING OFF THE CLOCK!" (a Bilas classic). Hey dumbass, if he'd made the layup, what additional time would THAT have taken? He was right at the rim already.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It’s a football thing, but I never understood Prevent defense (as in pree-vent). The word is prevent, who started the long “e” pronunciation?
Stupid American thing. Sorta like etcetera being pronounced “ek-setera”. Americans don’t know how to pronounce things correctly

Reactions: Ugoff
I don’t think I could work as an announcer because I couldn’t get on the air and say the same things for every single game every year for an entire career. Some things they say really annoy me:

“Buzz saw.” No one says buzz saw for any reason other than sports; online does say sometimes circular saws are called buzz saws, but no. It’s a stupid expression; all power saws buzz. Can they not think of anything other than “buzz saw,” or “gauntlet,” to describe a tough schedule?

“He can really score in bunches when he gets going.” Every player that gets going scores in bunches. Is there some other way to get going without scoring in bunches? I mean, besides of course, “lighting it up?” This one just a redundant statement of redundancy.

These are two of my announcer speak pet peeves. What are some of yours?

By the way, I don’t get musicians singing the same 1 to 3 words 25 times in a single song either. Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie, Bennie and the jets.
I’m tired of Jay Bilas saying anything. I’ve never seen one dude question every call for one team, watch another get beat down and act like nothing happened.

Dude should just go ahead and drop the "L" from his name.
No doubt, I’m rewatching the game right now actually. Arkansas fouls us, “I don’t know about that one, he looked pretty vertical on that.” We go down, don’t touch a soul, “that’s a good call, his hand was in the offensive players space.” The worst is he starts openly cheering for teams. Duke obviously, seems likes anyone we play, and Kansas. He’s always on them so hard.

when someone makes a simple free throw or lay up and they spend the whole next play saying how athletic they are. Its a layup man, how athletic do you have to be to make a layup?

Last edited:
What annoys my wife and I the most is when they agree with the call being made. Even AFTER being proven wrong via replay. That flagrant on Tre was absolutely criminal. I don’t even think it was a common foul, let alone a flagrant.
Or the foul on Sheppard when he didn’t touch the guy.

According to Bias every foul called on them is questionable. Every foul called on us is legit. And maybe should be upgraded.

He pretended that he couldn’t even see that called 2 was a 3.

Or the foul on Sheppard when he didn’t touch the guy.

According to Bias every foul called on them is questionable. Every foul called on us is legit. And maybe should be upgraded.

He pretended that he couldn’t even see that called 2 was a 3.
Yep! I was so mad listening to him say, it was real close. Not enough evidence to overturn the call. Lmao

Brando today in the Purdue Rutgers game...."The hoop and the "harm".

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F1a6965a5-9cc8-4351-9082-440f96e7c4d1_232x172.gif

I get more tired of people complaining about announcers.
There are some guys who I don't complain about as often as long as they seem pleasant/harmless.

Raftery and Vitale, to me, are just old goofs. I can't hate them as much because they're just ridiculous. They'd probably be funny to hang out with.

It's the ones with genuine arrogance and sour bias like Packer back in the day or Bilas now who I truly did/do hate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT