ADVERTISEMENT

There's a lot to like about this team

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Ranking the things I like most about this 2021-22 team...
1. 3pt Shooting- we have multiple guys who have proven they can shoot the ball from 3. As another thread title pointed out: 543 three-pt shots made from this group. I would be interested to know 2 things about that- a. when was the last time Cal had a team returning that had that many 3 point shots made? (pretty sure it's never happened under Cal) and b. when was the last time in UK history we returned a team with that many 3 point shots made? It may not have ever happened in UK history. We've been sorely lacking in 3pt shooting on multiple UK teams, so that may be why this is my #1. We've shot enough bricks in recent years to build the Taj Mahal.

2. Experience- we've never had this kind of experience returning under Calipari. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this will be his most veteran group while at UK. We've had teams with returning players, but not with this kind of experience.

Junior Sahvir Wheeler
6th year Senior Davion Mintz
5th year Senior Kellan Grady
Junior Keion Brooks
Junior Oscar Tshiebwe
Junior CJ Frederick
Junior Jacob Toppin
RS Sophomore Dontaie Allen

That's 8 players with more experience than we returned on the entire team in 2020-21. I'd like to see the last time we had this much experience on a team. That's rare even for a traditionally built team. It's unheard of for a Calipari UK team.

3. Guard play and backcourt depth- this group of guards has me almost giddy, especially with the recent word that our leading scorer Mintz is also back. When we added Wheeler, we got that point guard who can take his man off the dribble and create for others. TyTy Washington adds depth, scoring, and more playmaking at point. The return of Mintz and his versatility gives us the ability to press and defend without worrying about foul trouble, and he gives us another proven scoring option. Kellan Grady is a threat from anywhere on the floor, is a proven scorer, and is much more than a shooter. CJ Frederick is a lights out shooter and a better defender than most UK fans know. Dontaie Allen showed flashes of his scoring ability last season, and he's committed to improving his all-around game. There is no question we want 3 of these guys on the floor at all times. One of them will likely be playing the 3 spot, probably Allen and Grady.

4. Potential- even with all the proven experience, we still have 3 incoming recruits who give this team an even higher potential ceiling in Daimion Collins, Ty Ty Washington, and Bryce Hopkins. Who knows how good these guys will be?

It's funny that potential is only 4th on my list here. Under Calipari, we usually have potential in spades, but that tells me how unique this team is. Instead of talking about wing spans and standing reach, we're talking about these guys' D1 accolades. It's a breath of fresh air and a welcome development for me, personally. I'm sure many will agree. I'm excited to see and hear about these guys developing chemistry and in seeing how they could reach their potential as a team.

I'm not making any predictions, but I like my team.

Last edited:
I like this team. Only question mark is who is the star player? Who is the All-American type dude?
Yep, if there is a question mark, that's it. There isn't really a transcendent talent here. I'd say early on we will have to depend on that truth- "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." However, Daimion Collins could be a possible answer to that question. He may have the greatest potential of anyone on the roster, and the highest ceiling. The other possible answer could come from one of these transfers with a new supporting cast and scenery. One of them could blossom. Grady could be that guy. Wheeler could be that guy. Or how about a guy like Jacob Toppin whose brother blossomed into a transcendent player during his college years?

Yep, if there is a question mark, that's it. There isn't really a transcendent talent here. I'd say early on we will have to depend on that truth- "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." However, Daimion Collins could be a possible answer to that question. He may have the greatest potential of anyone on the roster, and the highest ceiling. The other possible answer could come from one of these transfers with a new supporting cast and scenery. One of them could blossom. Grady could be that guy. Wheeler could be that guy. Or how about a guy like Jacob Toppin whose brother blossomed into a transcendent player during his college years?
Interesting, because I think Collins may be at the bottom end of PT, only playing more than Ware, Hopkins and maybe Allen. I think the safest answer is Grady. But I am hopeful it is Tyty, that he can be a Knight type & level of player for us. And I think Toppin offers the potential of being that, but I don't think he will quite make it.

I like this team. Only question mark is who is the star player? Who is the All-American type dude?
valid question for sure.

Early guess is Grady and Oscar.

Grady has averaged around 18ppg o. only 13+ shots per game over a 4 year span.
I feel Oscar's numbers are going to come easy this year. Especially if he shoots 70% from the line.

But with all these confident players and good shooting we should have plenty of options to close out games and limit our offensive droughts all season long

i agree. i think on paper it’s a title contender. my biggest fear is that not enough of them have played together long enough but we should be greatly improved over last season. we have so much much experience.

I really think Mintz return is a much bigger deal than some realize. most experienced guy on the roster and was playing really well at the end of last season. i’ve seen a lot of people downplay him. but i think he’ll be one of the 3 best players on the team.

This is a totally valid question. Good thing is that we have several guys to potentially take that step. IMO, Toppin, Oscar, Grady and Titty can possibly make that leap. I’ll throw Brooks in there as well, although, I think he’s a little less likely. He has to improve on many facets to become a star.

If we add Kofi, he immediately becomes a potential star as well. He already has been that, albeit at another D1 school in the Little 10. I think 2nd team AA constitutes that.

On paper we certainly have a lot to be excited about. However, take into account how little of that experience or 3s made has taken place in a UK Jersey.

I think Cal will have his hands full integrating all of this experience and talent that’s used to getting the ball in their hands more often than they’ll probably get it this year. The sum of many great parts sometimes isn’t greater but lesser, we’ve seen that on NBA super teams the past decade.

We should be good either way, much better than last year, but it may take Cal’s best coaching job yet to get us to #9.

On paper we certainly have a lot to be excited about. However, take into account how little of that experience or 3s made has taken place in a UK Jersey.

I think Cal will have his hands full integrating all of this experience and talent that’s used to getting the ball in their hands more often than they’ll probably get it this year. The sum of many great parts sometimes isn’t greater but lesser, we’ve seen that on NBA super teams the past decade.

We should be good either way, much better than last year, but it may take Cal’s best coaching job yet to get us to #9.
This is a good point. Much of it depends on the players and their willingness to buy in. If they play for one another, it’ll make the transition much easier. The chemistry and meshing will take time either way. However, if the guys play for the good of the team, we should be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Unnecessary invitation. This bunch will correct you if you're right.

I agree with your assessment, I am very excited about this team. I think some are tempering their expectations after last year, but I'm not. This team will be a hard out from the first tip.

This is a totally valid question. Good thing is that we have several guys to potentially take that step. IMO, Toppin, Oscar, Grady and Titty can possibly make that leap. I’ll throw Brooks in there as well, although, I think he’s a little less likely. He has to improve on many facets to become a star.

If we add Kofi, he immediately becomes a potential star as well. He already has been that, albeit at another D1 school in the Little 10. I think 2nd team AA constitutes that.
Titty has always been my favorite.

Only really thing I'm worried about is chemistry. Someone usually gets butt hurt over playing time which hurts team chemistry. And there's a lot of talent that will be wanting to showcase that on the court.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Assuming no Kofi Cockburn, who is already an All-America, or Jalen Duren, who is clearly a potential All-America, you still have several players capable of leading a team on a deep run.

I'd start with Grady and Washington, and include Oscar if he becomes in his third year a high percentage of what Randle was in his first, and even Toppin who to me is a guy whose ceiling is impossible to gauge at this point. Is his ceiling significantly below his brother's? If so, why? He has the same size, athleticism and work ethic.

So, assuming you HAVE to have a star to make a deep run, there are guys who are realistic candidates to emerge. Look at it this way: Who led UCLA to the Final Four last year? Johnny Juzang. As of July 2020, I doubt anyone said, "He's a star who you can ride to the Final Four."

Last edited:
Assuming no Kofi Cockburn, who is already an All-America, or Jalen Duren, who is clearly a potential All-America, you still have several players capable of leading a team on a deep run.

I'd start with Grady and Washington, and include Oscar if he becomes in his third year what Randle was in his first, and even Toppin who to me is a guy whose ceiling is impossible to gauge at this point. Is his ceiling significantly below his brother's? If so, why? He has the same size, athleticism and work ethic.

So, assuming you HAVE to have a star to make a deep run, there are guys who are realistic candidates to emerge. Look at it this way: Who led UCLA to the Final Four last year? Johnny Juzang. As of July 2020, I doubt anyone said, "He's a star who you can ride to the Final Four."
This is exactly what I’ve been saying. Someone will emerge. Too many good players not to. Btw, Cockburn just pulled out of the draft!

Ranking the things I like most about this 2021-22 team...
1. 3pt Shooting- we have multiple guys who have proven they can shoot the ball from 3. As another thread title pointed out: 543 three-pt shots made from this group. I would be interested to know 2 things about that- a. when was the last time Cal had a team returning that had that many 3 point shots made? (pretty sure it's never happened under Cal) and b. when was the last time in UK history we returned a team with that many 3 point shots made? It may not have ever happened in UK history. We've been sorely lacking in 3pt shooting on multiple UK teams, so that may be why this is my #1. We've shot enough bricks in recent years to build the Taj Mahal.

2. Experience- we've never had this kind of experience returning under Calipari. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this will be his most veteran group while at UK. We've had teams with returning players, but not with this kind of experience.

Junior Sahvir Wheeler
6th year Senior Davion Mintz
5th year Senior Kellan Grady
Junior Keion Brooks
Junior Oscar Tschiebwe
Junior CJ Frederick
Junior Jacob Toppin
RS Sophomore Dontaie Allen

That's 8 players with more experience than we returned on the entire team in 2020-21. I'd like to see the last time we had this much experience on a team. That's rare even for a traditionally built team. It's unheard of for a Calipari UK team.

Regarding #1, we might have had that much 3pt shooting returning in the 91/92 or 95/96 seasons given all the guys from previous years and Pitino had them making almost 300 a year.

Regarding #2, I bet this group has more minutes played than all of our teams combined have returned since 2015.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I’m not so sure this is the key concern. I am admittedly a defensive fanatic. I do not believe the tournament is winnable without a stellar defense. Given this, for me the unanswered question is how will this team gels and take the bit for relentless team defense. This generally becomes a hallmark of most Calipari teams. Last year we never saw that defense mature. This year, I don’t think we know till we get several games into the season.

I don’t think it is so much a question of individual capability. We have the athletes. As you correctly point out, we have the experience. The potential is there. We just need to see that team commitment to freezing out its opponents.

Another aspect that is of key importance is passing. We do have a few guys on this team that can move the ball. Last year we got into trouble by not being able to create space by moving the ball. We were not a good shooting team nor were we good at individually creating space. The fix for this is passing. That is the area where I expect great things from Wheeler.

Last edited:
Been burned too many times by this sort of thing. Waiting to see how they produce on the court. Anything short of a nice run and less than 9-10 losses, I’m at a loss.

6 transfers and 3 freshman. Seems like the new look in CBB.
Yep, it may well be this coming season. If that's all we had- 6 transfers and 3 freshmen- I'd be more worried. But we also have some key returnees of our own that give us some continuity. Brooks, Mintz, Toppin, and Ware provide us with some valuable returnees who all played significant minutes last season. Tshiebwe didn't play minutes but has been on campus since the beginning of February, so that will help too.

Interesting, because I think Collins may be at the bottom end of PT, only playing more than Ware, Hopkins and maybe Allen. I think the safest answer is Grady. But I am hopeful it is Tyty, that he can be a Knight type & level of player for us. And I think Toppin offers the potential of being that, but I don't think he will quite make it.
You may be right about Collins. But I have also heard (read) that some have compared his defensive impact and athleticism to Isaiah Jackson. If that is even close to accurate, he could be the guy.

Then again, if Kofi Cockburn signs, he's sitting at the end of the bench. If that does happen, Cal may have to at least flirt with the idea of running some traditional sets with Cockburn and Tshiebwe on the floor together. Imagining that makes me smile. We had NO muscle last season. If we sign Cockburn, we'd have the strongest frontcourt in the country.

Agreed. I’m torn on whether I would rather have a 5 for 5 mass sub pattern or a regular sub pattern, playing 10+ guys. There’s advantages and disadvantages to both.
I would be fine with a platoon or 5 for 5 mass sub pattern, but I think Cal will be more traditional and play the best 7 most of the minutes and let the bottom 5 or 6 contend for backup minutes.

He might pull a Pitino in ‘96 and play 11 or 12 guys pretty much every game, but give the top 7-8 guys most of the minutes.

If you go that deep, you keep most of the team engaged, and still develop your top 7-8 and get them ready for the tourney.

And maybe Cal needs a JV team? LOL!

Tony Delk and Antoine Walker say hi
You put them on the same level as AD, John Wall, Boogie, Booker etc? Limited basketball knowledge you posses, but don’t surprise me considering your checkered past. BTW, Where have you been for over a year? Prison?

I know the game has changed but I am not as concerned about having a star players as I am utilizing the best players and their particular skill sets. The 96 team really had no star player and they did just fine as a total unit.
I mean, Tony Delk was a Consensus 1st Team All-American and the SEC Player of the Year. So that's what I'm talking about.

I would be fine with a platoon or 5 for 5 mass sub pattern, but I think Cal will be more traditional and play the best 7 most of the minutes and let the bottom 5 or 6 contend for backup minutes.

He might pull a Pitino in ‘96 and play 11 or 12 guys pretty much every game, but give the top 7-8 guys most of the minutes.

If you go that deep, you keep most of the team engaged, and still develop your top 7-8 and get them ready for the tourney.

And maybe Cal needs a JV team? LOL!
I kinda like the traditional sub pattern better, especially if it models our 1996 rotation. For one, it would allow you to exploit matchups and be more strategic in that sense. Also, you get to try different lineup combinations. You can also go big, small, fast break lineup, shooting lineup, etc. Just basically allows you to be more flexible.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
You put them on the same level as AD, John Wall, Boogie, Booker etc? Limited basketball knowledge you posses, but don’t surprise me considering your checkered past. BTW, Where have you been for over a year? Prison?
You’re saying Tony Delk and Antoine Walker weren’t as good in college as Devin Booker?

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think Brooks might be the emergent here. His leadership was evident during the sad Clarke situation.

Reactions: reggis1
Yes I do. They won a title. Only AD did on your list. Surprised your not pumping Issel.

Mercer and Walker were damn close to that level. Mercer was ranked #1 in his class in some publications, in front of Kevin Garnett. Him, Marbury and KG were a consensus top 3 across the board.

Mercer and Walker were damn close to that level. Mercer was ranked #1 in his class in some publications, in front of Kevin Garnett. Him, Marbury and KG were a consensus top 3 across the board.
If someone doesn’t think Ron Mercer was a star, they have a poor memory. Like Delk he was a 1st team AA and SEC POY. He was fun as hell to watch too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT