ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM! (3/1): All-Ohio edition

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
TYLER BENTLEY: The Lakota West defensive lineman was offered by Tennessee on Tuesday. I caught up with Bentley today and he said he will be taking an unofficial visit to Knoxville this Saturday, so that didn't take long. Bentley also told me today that he's planning to unofficially visit Ohio State on Friday. It'll be interesting to see how much interest the Buckeyes have.

Originally Bentley was saying he would make a summer decision. Today Bentley told me his timetable will largely "depend on when the hype dies down."

XAVIER PETERS: Before moving on to other guys I wanted to touch base quickly on Peters, because he's Bentley's teammate at Lakota West. Peters is visiting Ohio State along with Bentley this weekend. There's some talk the Buckeyes could offer. If they do that doesn't necessarily end UK's chances, just because of Marrow's history at Lakota West, but you should probably hope they don't offer.

JESLORD BOATENG: Indiana offered Boateng shortly after Kentucky. Nothing on favorites yet but the Cats really made an impression on the Dublin Coffman 'backer when they offered.

DARIAN KINNARD: Have heard that this guy would be at or near the top of Kentucky's board for offensive tackles. Big-time prospect who is only going to blow up more. Really looks the part and his game is catching up. Grew up in the Knoxville, Tenn., area, as we've reported before. Seemed interested but not wowed when Kentucky offered but I think the Cats are going to push very hard.

TYREKE SMITH: See the other post I made today about Smith, a four-star DE/ATH from Cleveland Heights. Likely to visit with Alex Reigelsperger at some point. Wouldn't say UK is a favorite but if/once he visits, I'd expect them to emerge as a possibility.

LEONARD TAYLOR: The four-star Rivals250 tight end from Springfield could be an 'athlete' to Kentucky's coaches and that's probably one selling point they'll make in their pursuit. I think the most likely scenario is that Taylor stays home with OSU or goes to a top-tier Big Ten program, but you can't write Kentucky off yet.

QUINTIN WILSON: Listed as a center, the Cincinnati native and Walnut Hills prospect has been hearing from the likes of Kentucky, Indiana, Syracuse, Iowa State and a bunch of others. If he can play guard then I wouldn't be surprised if he's a major target for Kentucky. If not, we'll see. Don't have a lot of great intel on where he's leaning but definitely a kid to follow.

JOSEPH SCATES: The four-star athlete had been committed to Michigan State, which was a bit of a bummer for Kentucky because early in the process it seemed like the Cats were, at worst, a finalist in the making. He committed to Sparty earlier than I expected him to commit anywhere. But this week Scates reopened his recruitment. Before anyone gets too excited I would caution that his decision to open things back up came two days after Alabama offered him. Not surprisingly, he's a guy that Derrick Ansley is taking a hard look at. I wouldn't write Kentucky off in the long run.

BRENDEN BATES: The four-star tight end from Cincinnati (Ohio) Moeller seems like a player who might be leaning to Kentucky. We first reported that Bates was probably leaning towards Kentucky and nothing has changed on that front since West Virginia's offer yesterday. Reiterating this, but he did tell me he's planning to visit Ohio State, Louisville and Duke, and I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to visit WVU as well now that they've offered.

BLAINE SCOTT: Planning to make his choice on May 5th. This week Scott told me he will take unofficial visits to Arkansas, Ole Miss, Minnesota, Rutgers and Iowa State before that decision date. It's worth noting that he has visited Kentucky several times already so I have to believe the Cats are running strong with him. It's also worth noting that Scott told me that he has already been to Iowa State and Arkansas, so those trips to Ames and Fayetteville, respectively, will be return visits. Thus it's safe to say that, at the very least, Iowa State and Arkansas are legit competition for Kentucky here.

L'CHRISTIAN SMITH: Everything I've heard indicates Kentucky is the clubhouse leader for the Rivals100 athlete. When I asked about a potential timetable for a decision someone told me they think it will definitely be before the season. I asked another person and was told that the tentative plan is for Smith to make his decision in June although it could happen sooner than that.

JOSH WHYLE: The Cincinnati (Ohio) LaSalle tight end, who visited Kentucky last Friday, added an offer from Oregon this afternoon. The Ducks have a huge brand but haven't been a real problem for UK, Ohio State or Big Ten schools that recruit Ohio. I just got a message from Whyle moments ago saying the facilities at UK were second to none and he really likes Marrow. But nothing in terms of favorites.

MALIK VANN: The four-star defensive end seemed very high on Kentucky early, but I have to say that I think the Cats' odds have diminished a bit given offers from Alabama and others recently. I don't think Vann will write Kentucky off entirely, but UK generally doesn't spend a lot of time recruiting guys who they sense are going elsewhere. If Vann visits again in the spring or summer that'll be really significant.

JORNELL MANNS: Here's a receiver that we haven't talked a whole lot about. Early this month the three-star prospect from Mansfield told me that he would be visiting Toledo and Penn State in the weeks ahead. I don't know that either of those trips have happened, but Manns has picked up offers from Wisconsin and Minnesota recently. When I connected with Manns not long ago he told me that Steven Clinkscale had been in touch with him and he's open to Kentucky, but I haven't yet got the impression that things have heated up a whole lot. Manns told me today that he tried to visit Kentucky earlier but "the communication was suspect," which I think led him to wonder how much interest they might have. Manns did say that he's eager to visit.

CAMERON HOELSCHER: At last check Hoelscher was still in contact with Kentucky, and that wasn't too long ago because he told me that he really enjoyed his trip to Lexington for the Cats' first junior day at the end of January. He loved the game environment and the fans he came across. Cincinnati and Toledo were among the other schools he had visited around that time. Western Michigan and Bowling Green have offered him in the past two weeks. How high is Hoelscher on Kentucky's board? I think it's a legitimate question, but I don't think he's off the table.

BRIAN ASAMOAH: This is a player Kentucky encountered during a recent wave of offers in Ohio. However, looks like he'll be landing elsewhere. The Columbus (Ohio) DeSales athlete announces his decision on April 21st and he'll be choosing between Pitt, Penn State, Michigan, UCLA, West Virginia and Cincinnati.

ANTWUAN JOHNSON: The teammate of Dayton (Ohio) Dunbar running back Tavion Thomas (who is probably ending up elsewhere - sorry @trumpetcat) is a guy I haven't heard a whole lot about lately. I'm taking that as a sign that he's a longshot at this point. Iowa is a school that seems to have come on pretty strong for him more recently. Johnson did attend Kentucky's junior day at the end of January and, like Hoelscher, he loved the fans.
CHRIS OATS: On the theme of three-star Ohio linebackers lets update the status of this 6-foot-4, 205-pound Cincinnati native and Winton Woods prospect. Remember, that's the school that sent Mike Edwards to Kentucky several cycles ago. Don't think that will be a big factor, but this could be: Oats, as of very recently, was in regular contact with Vince Marrow and that seems to be a relationship that's going well for him. Oats has a lot of schools after him, ranging from West Virginia and Louisville to Cincinnati, Illinois and Minnesota.

KORY TAYLOR: Here's a sleeper if you're looking for guys who could end up at Kentucky. Taylor picked up a camp offer last year and the three-star receiver from Hilliard visited UK for the Cats' last junior day. He said the new facilities are awesome and he enjoyed speaking with Eddie Gran at length. When I asked about his interest level in Kentucky, Taylor played it close to the vest saying only that it's a school he looks forward to staying in contact with. He was also said to have visited Michigan State recently.

AENEAS HAWKINS: The four-star defensive tackle from Moeller (Bates' teammate) will announce his decision on May 10th. Would be very surprised if Ohio State isn't the choice.

TAJ WARD: Here's a three-star defensive back Kentucky offered recently, but I have a strong suspicion they're going to want to see this guy work out in person at camp.

RYAN MONTGOMERY: UK's in great shape with the three-star running back.

JIMMY MCKENNA: Scheduled to talk to the three-star offensive lineman from Avon tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News