ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting The War Room! (11/27)

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Forgive the length of this week's edition but I'm balancing Thanksgiving festivities with keeping the content flowing, knowing that tomorrow we've got UK-USF and Saturday very early I'm making my way to Lexington to cover the Cats and Cards.

Some key visitors this weekend
First things first. Another site and a newspaper have reported that Seth Dawkins is visiting this weekend. He's the Louisville receiver commitment. First, we've heard that was the plan for a while. He's good friends with Jaylin Bannerman, as we first reported a while back. This was a story that wasn't 'supposed' to get out. Normally we have to balance getting the information out there with respecting the wishes of both sources and players. But another site put the information out. Since, others have jumped on it and assumed it's happening.

I spoke with Dawkins this week and he said he was leaning towards not visiting. I don't know whether he will or whether he won't, but I can tell you that it was not a good thing for Kentucky when the story was initially reported and the way it's been widely disseminated. Lot of undue pressure put on him. FWIW, he's a big-time talent that Kentucky loves and Louisville recently lost another receiver commitment.

Bannerman, A.J. Rose and Kayaune Ross are officially visiting UK this weekend.

Tate Leavitt's unofficially visiting. Many of the Ohio guys and all the familiar in-state faces will be visiting, at least to the extent that the game won't conflict with playoff plans (more on that in a bit).

Lot of in-state guys that do not have offers will be there. Carson Van Lynn, the 6-foot-7 offensive tackle from Ohio, will be there. He does have a Kentucky offer.

Kaderrion Mason is the big 6-foot-5, 250-pound strongside defensive end from McComb, Miss., who we've reported on extensively and he is indeed taking his official visit this weekend. Jimmy Brumbaugh visited this kid's school during the fall and Mississippi State did, too. He's a take and Kentucky likes him from everything I've gathered.

Trying to confirm but I believe five-star offensive tackle Jedrick Wills is going to visit. EDIT: I caught up with Wills very late on Thanksgiving and he said, regarding a visit, "it's a possibility." Nothing in stone yet.

Kentucky is probably the front runner for 2017 Tennessee DB Caleb Rozar (UK has offered) and he's visiting for his fourth game this season. His sister attended UK. I've spoken with somebody familiar with him -- from the National Playmakers Academy in Tennessee -- and they're convinced he's going to blow up into one of the top players in the South now that he's being marketed as a 6-foot-3 defensive back instead of a receiver. To that point UNC recently offered. "But he really loves Kentucky," I was told again this week.

Class of 2017 defensive back J'Marick Woods has been trying to decide whether he'll attend UK-UL or UF-FSU and at last check I'm not sure he's decided on which he's attending.

Wally Whitmore is a 2017 DB/WR from South Carolina that we've mentioned before. No offer but he's supposed to visit. Javione Matthews is another 2017 athlete from S.C. that will be visiting. 2017 WR Justin Marshall doesn't have an offer and not sure he'll get one but he's visiting and has an offer from Charlotte. Kid's from Georgia. JUCO DB Antonio Kanonu visited Alabama last weekend unofficially and he says he'll be at UK-UL this weekend. No offer from UK but he hopes it goes well enough to earn him the opportunity to officially visit later.

FWIW, at last check the Tennessee site VolQuest.com was reporting that Jordan Bonner is still planning to visit this weekend but we'll see how that plays out.

Kentucky commitments in the playoffs

Semifinals: Division III state playoffs in Ohio at Cidney H.S.
Toledo (Ohio) Central Catholic vs. Trotwood-Madison, Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
Features: Michael Warren and James Hudson vs. Roland Walder
Notes: Three Kentucky commitments take to the field. Walder's Trotwood defense was stifling in allowing just three points in the last round. Warren had an amazing 51 carries for 151 yards in Central Catholic's redemption win over Benedictine (Ohio). The winner of this game plays the winner of Zanesville and Archbishop Hoban for the state championship.

Semifinals: Class 1A state playoffs in Kentucky at Pikeville H.S.
Paintsville (Ky.) vs. Pikeville (Ky.), Friday night.
Features: Kash Daniel playing quarterback and linebacker for Paintsville
Notes: Paintsville defeated Pikeville 23-22 in their toughest game of the season (they're 14-0) early this year with Daniel's late-game heroics as the difference. Daniel is dominating on the ground, through the air and on defense for Paintsville and is two wins away from the state title. The winner of this game faces the winner of the Russellville and Beechwood game for the state championship.

Quarterfinals: AAAA state playoffs in Georgia at Cartersville H.S.
Jonesboro (Ga.) vs. Cartersville, Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
Features: Jordan Griffin playing receiver and defensive back for Jonesboro.
Notes: Griffin's 22-yard touchdown reception was key in their 14-10 win last round and he leads Jonesboro in touchdowns this year. Cartersville is 12-0 and this game will not be easy at all. The winner of this game faces the winner of Pius X and Bainbridge in the state semifinals.

Semifinals: Class 6A state playoffs in Kentucky at Simon Kenton H.S.
Lafayette (Ky.) vs. Simon Kenton, Friday night at 7:30 p.m.
Features: Landon Young, Walker Wood and UK target Jedrick Wills for Lafayette.
Notes: Lafayette defeated Scott County in a huge win for their program last weekend. The winner of this game faces the winner of the Central Hardin and Male game for the state championship.

Quarterfinals: 6A state playoffs in Georgia at Mill Creek H.S.
Lawrenceville (Ga.) Archer vs. Mill Creek, Friday night.
Features: Kobe Smith at defensive tackle.
Notes: Smith will be going head to head on the interior all game long with Louisville offensive guard commitment Robbie Bell. Archer has lost just one game this season and Smith has been playing stout football.

Semifinals: Division I state playoffs in Ohio in Cincinnati.
Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne v. Cincinnati (Ohio) Colerain, Friday night.
Features: Tobias Gilliam playing in the secondary for Wayne.
Notes: Wayne is a perfect 12-0 on the season and has dispatched opponents with dominant defense more than anything else, and the unit is led by Gilliam.

Semifinals: Division IV state playoffs in Ohio at Bishop Fenwick H.S.
Steubenville (Ohio) vs. Bishop Fenwick, Friday night at 7 p.m.
Features: 2017 tight end commitment Charles Reeves.
Notes: Reeves is a sensational athlete and scored on a 61-yard touchdown reception on the game's very first play from scrimmage last week. Steubenville's a perfect 12-0.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News