ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting The War Room! (10/9)

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
It's Friday (or the eve of it, if you're a late lurker) and that means it's the War Room. Some very interesting local happenings that could have a major impact on Kentucky's recruiting efforts -- in more ways than one.

Walker Wood's Kentucky offer
Lafayette dual-threat quarterback Walker Wood announced his offer from Kentucky on Thursday and we've got the back story. Wood doesn't go on the record much but we're going to have a very lengthy update today that you won't want to miss.

Wood is ecstatic about the Kentucky offer. Louisville had offered previously and he's been to the school several times but not recently; not for any games. He explains that as being really busy, but it's certainly a good sign for Kentucky. He hasn't been to all of UK's home games this year but he's been to more than one. Wood travels around with Jedrick Wills and he's going to continue to do that. Don't get the idea that offering Wood is about locking up Wills. Sure, it probably has some benefit there, but you don't offer a kid a precious scholarship just to get someone else. Almost no one is worth two scholarships.

No, UK offered Wood because they like his multipositional value, his athleticism, his leadership intangibles and his toughness. He's a good athlete -- not a burner, having been clocked at 4.7-seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Wood does want a chance at quarterback. It's "where (his) heart is," he told me. But I didn't get the impression that he would hold off on Kentucky if that's where he wants to be just because they're leaving open the possibility of a switch to another position. Kentucky will put Wood at quarterback to start. Then, if that doesn't work out, they'll let him have a shot elsewhere. But the goal for Wood is to come in and play quarterback.

The good news is, while his heart is at quarterback he's not 100-percent set on that as the only route for his future. He spoke of that dynamic changing when you're "part of a team," acknowledging that it's really going to be about contributing at the end of the day.

I have to like Kentucky's chances here. Louisville and Cincinnati are his other offers but he's getting some other looks too. More on that at another time.

It's worth noting that Lafayette's entire offensive unit is very tight. He's very close with Wills, of course, and he's also close with Young.

Mac Jones Unbothered by Offer
Without going into too much detail I can tell you that UK's lone quarterback commit from the '17 class will not be bothered by the offer to Wood. He's as competitive as they come and has a level head on his shoulders. Not a guy that's going to be overly dramatic or difficult to please on something like that.

When Jones committed to UK he did so working under the assumption that Dawson was still possibly targeting a dual-threat. Really, if UK is going to take another quarterback in this class the best case scenario for Jones' future PT here is that it's Wood. They're very different players.

Hoak signs financial aid papers
Really not much major here. Players like Hoak, Kash, Drake, etc., were all planning on being early enrollees anyways. Their signing papers is just validating their plan, and it would have been majorly surprising if he hadn't. Still, it's a very good sign when you can get a quarterback into your program a semester early. Not that you're expecting Hoak to come in and play right away, but you benefit from the extra semester even if he's part of a QB competition two or three years from now. Extra time's extra time.

Mike Jones Includes UK in Early Favorite List
Class of 2018 standout Mike Jones of Tennessee is an elite talent and he tweeted out a preliminary list of favorites on Thursday night. That list included Kentucky -- and a lot of others. He lAisted seemingly every ACC and SEC program ... and then some.

But Kentucky is more than just one of many. He visited for UK's big scrimmage in the springtime and really bonded with Derrick Ansley. He hasn't kept in touch with a lot of coaches since then -- NCAA rules and all -- but he cited Kentucky as one of a couple of schools he really wants to visit in the very near future when he hits the road again. His interest seemed very genuine to me.

Update on DE Joshua Paschal
Got it from good authority that it's Kentucky, Clemson and Ohio State right now for four-star defensive end Joshua Paschal, the younger brother of the former Wildcat, who has visited Lexington a bunch of times already.

I asked a source whether Paschal is a take for Clemson or Ohio State and the answer was: "Borderline." Clemson and Ohio State recruit at pretty much the highest level -- now more than ever for those programs -- so they can be picky even when it seems like they shouldn't be. Anyways, I think the dynamics in Paschal's recruitment look really good for UK.

Miscellaneous
Andy Buh is still talking to three-star Georgia linebacker ('17) Drew Jordan, and the player is open to the Cats.

'17 Florida receiver Andre Williams, who is coming back from an injury (well, starting to come back -- he's not walking yet), is staying in contact with UK. Not sure how much interest the Cats really have right now. Have to wait and see. I wouldn't write off UK with '17 Tennessee receiver Caleb Rozar.

As you saw in the story today posted on Trey Pugh, looks like he's intrigued by Northwestern and Duke. But I've got it from a decent source that the Cats want to try their hand.

If Oklahoma State offers Logan Rudolph then they'll probably be the odds-on favorite, what with his brother there as the quarterback. Michigan just offered -- another nice bit of validation for the UK staff's collective eye for talent.

Yes, I've continued to report on four-star DB Ambry Thomas. Yes, he's probably a long shot.

J'Marick Woods continues to be a better bet, as does LaDamion Hunt. Reached out to Meshael Custis this week and haven't heard back yet. Not reading anything into that. Just saying he had been planning on visiting UK sometime this fall, and don't think he has yet. Could be wrong.

Bruce Judson recently decommitted from Ohio State. He's a '17 Florida receiver that is probably going to land with the Gators. He has said that he's eyeing a trip to Kentucky. As recently as mid-September he confirmed with me that UK had his attention. But he's been going to UF games and has some connections there.

Four-star Tennessee linebacker and major UK target Jacob Phillips ('17) added an Oregon offer today. That offer has actually lost a slight bit of luster with their crash down to earth early this year and -- for the first time in a while -- questions about their short and long-term future staying power in the Pac-12 elites. I'm not sure Phillips is the kind of guy that would go to school on the west coast anyways.

JUCO DT Walvenski Aime committing to Florida State is a minor blow, but better now than in December. Better to know and throw time/resources elsewhere.

Mark Stoops and John Schlarman will attend Drake Jackson's game on Friday.

If you really want to dream big, keep thinking about Javonte Richardson.

Don't sleep on DeMarco Artis. Wanted to commit to UK earlier -- took a wait and see approach. Doesn't mean he's off the radar. Just offered by UNC and some say he's heating up.

Hearing Ja'Quize Cross had a really good game tonight.

Updates on Recent Visitors
Toryque Bateman
(6-foot-8 offensive tackle) recently visited, as we reported in a Thursday story, and there's an interesting situation. I was under the impression that he'd probably become more of a major target, but Ansley indicated he should take his time or go about the process how he wants to. It's not like they're writing him off, but with Wills such a major priority and with Thayer Munford as a major target it's not like UK is in a pinch for offensive tackles.

Carson Van Lynn hasn't blown up quite like I anticipated him to but I wouldn't be surprised if his rise mirrors that of Alex Gellerstedt. Long, athletic Ohio tackle that needs to fill out. He's talked briefly about Kentucky and wanting to visit Lexington. Not a whole lot of chatter yet, but someone still to pay attention to.

Demetri Burch's visit for the EKU game also went very well. If UK puts on the full court press they'll be in good shape.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News