ADVERTISEMENT

The Tubbster at the Tournament

Your first sentence is incorrect. Tubby Smith probably never leaves Kentucky if he made multiple Final 4's. Clearly a Final 4 has meaning.

Furthermore, the nature of Kentucky basketball is that there are a TON of accomplishments not involving a national championship that are held high.
So do participation ribbons - only one accomplishment counts.

Tubby had the sense to leave after 10 seasons. CAL should have done the same . He has ruined his legacy a ton at UK post 2019 IMO.

Tubby had 1 final four in 10 seasons. That was the only stat that mattered to UK fans then. Funny how expectations lessen over time.
And it’s been exactly 9 years for Cal now too yet some cut him slack. It’s like they hold both coaches to different standards.

Reactions: CatPhight
So do participation ribbons - only one accomplishment counts.

So based on your argument, no loss to this point in the season matters. Correct?

Also, the 2020 season is equal to 2015 which is equal to 1992 Kentucky which is equal to 1997 Kentucky because none of them won a title. Correct?

So based on your argument, no loss to this point in the season matters. Correct?

Also, the 2020 season is equal to 2015 which is equal to 1992 Kentucky which is equal to 1997 Kentucky because none of them won a title. Correct?
You mean based on your spin of false equivalency?

You win games in the season to secure the seed necessary to advance with more advantageous matchups - you knew that, or at least I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, WRONG - unless you're telling me this squad hangs #9.

Any season which doesn't end with a championship is a season which didn't meet the goal. You going to print up 18th Final Four or close but no cigar shirts aka Cal's life story before now, where's he's won 1 NCAA-T game in the last four seasons. You can't have one without the other. Who knew UK starts the year with the goal to be 4th place. No wonder you're still polishing Cal's abject failures.
[laughing]

I assume you meant to say 1993, since I believe we lost to the tarholes in E8 in '92.

Tell me how many titles you foresee squid having here and BTW, you failed to answer my question, who has done less with more?

You mean based on your spin of false equivalency?

You win games in the season to secure the seed necessary to advance with more advantageous matchups - you knew that, or at least I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So, WRONG - unless you're telling me this squad hangs #9.

Any season which doesn't end with a championship is a season which didn't meet the goal. You going to print up 18th Final Four or close but no cigar shirts aka Cal's life story before now, where's he's won 1 NCAA-T game in the last four seasons. You can't have one without the other. Who knew UK starts the year with the goal to be 4th place. No wonder you're still polishing Cal's abject failures.
[laughing]

I assume you meant to say 1993, since I believe we lost to the tarholes in E8 in '92.

Tell me how many titles you foresee squid having here and BTW, you failed to answer my question, who has done less with more?

Im not sure you know what spin means and you didn't answer my question. Your claim is that the only metric that matters is championships.

This means: wins/losses outside of the tournament are meaningless, Final 4's are meaningless, elite 8's are meaningless, tournament appearances are meaningless, SEC Championships are meaningless, overall wins are meaningless, all player records are meaningless.

Obviously, none of these things are true. So, your assertion that only championships matter is verifiably incorrect. That's not spin. That's logic.

I think what you mean to say is that championships mean more than other metrics. That's certainly true, but you want to double down on your initial & indefensible argument.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but BCG was the far better coach. He actually built 2 programs from nothing and is winning now. Tubby never won anything before here and never won anything after here. In fact, Tubby only had had one winning conference record after he left UK and that was his final year at Memphis whwre he was fired for it.

Also, after his gifted title Tubby never beat a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney for his carrer. Not in his 9 seasons here after that and not at stop after here.

He just was not a good coach. He was a lazy recruiter to boot.
He rebuilt 2 programs to what end? He had 1 sweet 16 to show between both . Tubby had several pre UK least 1 at both Tulane and Georgia. Both were similar pre UK your making it out to be not the case telling 1 side of story and either ignoring the other or deliberately mis stating it.

It's not close and isn't up for opinion. as the worst coach is BCG or maybe argue Sutton for the death penalty there's not an argument for Tubby there. But as much as I hate Tubby he's not on that list. And what is BCG. Winning now? Jr college games?

Finally FFS he followed Tubby a TT and washed out in like 6 months a flaming embarrassment on every level as a coach and a man.

I'm glad he seems to of turned his life around but the man did nothing to suggest he was a what your suggesting.

Give Tubby the same exact talent Cal has had at UK and he has more than one natty.

Strongly disagree with this. I loved Tubby too, but Tubby had a certain type of player. His system wasn't conducive to run and gun type of players. Imagine Rajon Rondo under Calipari, for instance.

Reactions: Bluegrass79
Didn’t he win a title with a running type team recruited by Pitino?

Indeed he did. And if you lived in those times, you know that THIS WAS THE SINGLE BIGGEST CRITICISM FOR WHY THEY UNDERACHIEVED UNTIL MARCH. In fact THIS WAS THE SINGLE BIGGEST CRITICISM OF TUBBY SMITH FOR 10 STRAIGHT YEARS.

thank you

Indeed he did. And if you lived in those times, you know that THIS WAS THE SINGLE BIGGEST CRITICISM FOR WHY THEY UNDERACHIEVED UNTIL MARCH. In fact THIS WAS THE SINGLE BIGGEST CRITICISM OF TUBBY SMITH FOR 10 STRAIGHT YEARS.

thank you
If only he would have got the job done in 2004. 😒 He might still have been the coach throu the last few years

Reactions: KAB Cats
If you ever get your name figured out (The order), I will understand you better...;)
From Elliott co.
Thus the ET.
This site is the sequel to Groundhog Day.
I understand the frustration, but things aren't going to change till Cal goes or miraculously has a watershed moment.
I don't like the one and done, but it's not going to go away barring a change with the NBA owners and player's.
I appreciate your pises

• Haha
Reactions: BBUK
From Elliott co.
Thus the ET.
This site is the sequel to Groundhog Day.
I understand the frustration, but things aren't going to change till Cal goes or miraculously has a watershed moment.
I don't like the one and done, but it's not going to go away barring a change with the NBA owners and player's.
I appreciate your pises

(I have Huh? reserved... @Cowtown Cat ) But, what'da......😅

Im not sure you know what spin means and you didn't answer my question. Your claim is that the only metric that matters is championships.

This means: wins/losses outside of the tournament are meaningless, Final 4's are meaningless, elite 8's are meaningless, tournament appearances are meaningless, SEC Championships are meaningless, overall wins are meaningless, all player records are meaningless.

Obviously, none of these things are true. So, your assertion that only championships matter is verifiably incorrect. That's not spin. That's logic.

I think what you mean to say is that championships mean more than other metrics. That's certainly true, but you want to double down on your initial & indefensible argument.
I know exactly what spin means, it's disregarding facts while polishing a turd to fit your narratives. You know, like your inability to defend "who's done less with more" question. I've posed that question to you three times now, or how many Final Fours and Titles you foresee squid winning going forward.

I'll make it real easy for you - we'll go by the alphabet - A thru C. You pick your answer. A, B or C.

Name a NCAA head basketball coach has done less, while at the same time, enjoying the most compilation of talent in the history of the collegiate sport?

A) I can't answer it
B) I don't know how to answer it

C) I know the answer is Calipari, so I conveniently avoid the subject entirely, like it doesn't exist

Which is it?

When you set small goals, you get small rewards, and at UK, the goal is not to just get to a Final Four, but to win-it-all! I get you're satisfied with just getting there, and I guess your wall of ribbons commemorating your 4th place finishes or below, or whatever you have, holds a special endearing place in your heart.

Any year that ends without a NC is less than our direct goal. If your goal is to simply reach a Final Four, then newsflash...your goal sucks! You should be a UT fan and dance around their Elite 8 banner. You and your goal comes up short every year - perhaps you need a larger measuring stick?

I'll say it again, there is only one banner means anything and that is a National Championship banner!

Everything else is less than that. Let me know when recruits are photographed with a fourth place trophy.

Let's try this again. I know you're sad, because it is a fact your boy is fifth on the list of average length of titles per tenure. Face it, after this year he will be one title in every 15 years. Dead-last of any coach to actually win a title, your worst of the best, for the lack of a better term.

National Championship average per year ranking.

Pitino - Title every 6 years
Rupp - Title every 9 years
Tubby - Title every 10 years
Hall - Title every 13 years
Calipari - Title every 14 years

I congratulate you for the ability to pat yourself on the back, all while giving Couch the reach around...you have to admit, it is a big ass though. I suggest you procure a bigger polishing cloth, you're going to need it.

Tubby was actually a good coach. He simply did not recruit. Whether that was due to his dis-taste for it, or that he simply wasn't good for it, or got lazy, that is up for debate. But given the talent that he had, he was successful.
At Kentucky though, you need to do it all, be good at it all, embrace it all.
This..... absolutely truth

Define unacceptable.

Missing the tournament twice? Worst season in program history? Worst NCAA Tourney loss ever?

lBXIfQ7.png
That's definitely unacceptable too. I didn't say Tubby was the worst coach ever at Kentucky. Cal's last few years are similar to Tubby's last bit here. People act like they don't understand why Kentucky fans weren't satisfied with Tubby but not beating anyone above a 6 seed after the first 2 years vindicates our feelings. Also, I believe a previous poster mentioned that he's not did it after leaving Kentucky too. This ain't a Cal vs Tubby thing, it's about maintaining Kentucky's standards.

That's definitely unacceptable too. I didn't say Tubby was the worst coach ever at Kentucky. Cal's last few years are similar to Tubby's last bit here. People act like they don't understand why Kentucky fans weren't satisfied with Tubby but not beating anyone above a 6 seed after the first 2 years vindicates our feelings. Also, I believe a previous poster mentioned that he's not did it after leaving Kentucky too. This ain't a Cal vs Tubby thing, it's about maintaining Kentucky's standards.
Just pointing out the fact, Tubby never missed a tourney, never lost to a 15 seed and never posted the worst season in the history of the university.

That said, it was time for Tubby to go, just like it's now time for Couch to pack it up.

I know exactly what spin means, it's disregarding facts while polishing a turd to fit your narratives. You know, like your inability to defend "who's done less with more" question. I've posed that question to you three times now, or how many Final Fours and Titles you foresee squid winning going forward.

I'll make it real easy for you - we'll go by the alphabet - A thru C. You pick your answer. A, B or C.

Name a NCAA head basketball coach has done less, while at the same time, enjoying the most compilation of talent in the history of the collegiate sport?

A) I can't answer it
B) I don't know how to answer it

C) I know the answer is Calipari, so I conveniently avoid the subject entirely, like it doesn't exist

Which is it?

When you set small goals, you get small rewards, and at UK, the goal is not to just get to a Final Four, but to win-it-all! I get you're satisfied with just getting there, and I guess your wall of ribbons commemorating your 4th place finishes or below, or whatever you have, holds a special endearing place in your heart.

Any year that ends without a NC is less than our direct goal. If your goal is to simply reach a Final Four, then newsflash...your goal sucks! You should be a UT fan and dance around their Elite 8 banner. You and your goal comes up short every year - perhaps you need a larger measuring stick?

I'll say it again, there is only one banner means anything and that is a National Championship banner!

Everything else is less than that. Let me know when recruits are photographed with a fourth place trophy.

Let's try this again. I know you're sad, because it is a fact your boy is fifth on the list of average length of titles per tenure. Face it, after this year he will be one title in every 15 years. Dead-last of any coach to actually win a title, your worst of the best, for the lack of a better term.

National Championship average per year ranking.

Pitino - Title every 6 years
Rupp - Title every 9 years
Tubby - Title every 10 years
Hall - Title every 13 years
Calipari - Title every 14 years

I congratulate you for the ability to pat yourself on the back, all while giving Couch the reach around...you have to admit, it is a big ass though. I suggest you procure a bigger polishing cloth, you're going to need it.
You’re spinning in circles man. Think we are done here

Kentucky fans fresh off of being mad about having a record number of NBA All Stars are now in their feelings about a former UK head coach and assistant being honored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT