ADVERTISEMENT

The Tubbster at the Tournament

Tubby took Georgia and Tulsa to sweet sixteens before he came to UK. How many times you think those teams have been to the sweet sixteen?

Let me help you tubby has taken Georgia to 1 of two sweet sixteens. One of 4 for Tulsa. Yeah he’s a bad coach and accomplished nothing before coming here. Lol
He’s also one of three coaches EVER to lead FIVE schools to an NCAA Toruney. The other two are the “infallible” Ricky P and Lon Krueger.

So easy that only three coaches have ever done that.

But yeah. Tubby sucks. Tubby would have this current team smoking hot right now.

If we didnt hire Tubby, nobody would know who he is and he wouldve never cracked his 1 final four.

If we didnt hire Tubby, we wouldve landed Billy Donovan and have at minimum 2 more titles.

Most overrated coach in college history.

He’s also one of three coaches EVER to lead FIVE schools to an NCAA Toruney. The other two are the “infallible” Ricky P and Lon Krueger.

So easy that only three coaches have ever done that.

But yeah. Tubby sucks. Tubby would have this current team smoking hot right now.
It's an interesting question on what Tubby would theoretically do with this team.

They'd almost certainly be better defensively. Tubby's teams always brought defense. Weirdly enough, Cal used to be the same in that regard. But Tubby Smith teams were defined by defense.

But Tubby never played at the tempo we have this year. And he also was in love with the post game. If anything, I could see Tubby being more resistant to the change in modern basketball style. Tubby was every bit as stubborn as Cal.

I think a lot of his critics are still stuck pining for the 90s to come back, as if that was how UK basketball was throughout every decade.

There is nothing that's weirder to me on this board than the Tubby nostalgia these days. People on this board lost their minds about his recruiting, lack of tournament results, and playing style.
I completely agree with your last statement. Our last 8 years have been very “tubby like” though.

Tubby was the 3rd best coach ever at UK. And he’s the best guy out of all of them.

What the unholy F you rambling about?

1. Rupp had 4 titles and 6 final fours.
2. Pitino had 1 title and 3 final fours in 6 seasons.
3. Cal with 1 title and 4 final fours.
4. Hall with 1 title and 3 final fours.

In what delusional method of ranking does a 1 title and 1 final four tubby Crack that top 4?

The irony here is that one of the loudest criticisms of Tubby at the time was his ball-line defense.

Ten years after Calipari leaves, I can only imagine the nostalgia for the Calipari days.
We will definitely have some where did the talent go some seasons in the future, “I remember when we had guards like Monk and Fox, and then followed that up with Rob Thrillingham and Reed Sheppard!” We will still get great players but nowhere near the top end talent year after year most likely. Our overall team consistency may be better though depending on who the coach is.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but BCG was the far better coach. He actually built 2 programs from nothing and is winning now. Tubby never won anything before here and never won anything after here. In fact, Tubby only had had one winning conference record after he left UK and that was his final year at Memphis whwre he was fired for it.

Also, after his gifted title Tubby never beat a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney for his carrer. Not in his 9 seasons here after that and not at stop after here.

He just was not a good coach. He was a lazy recruiter to boot.
“Not beating a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney” says it all in a nutshell why us “hillbilly Kentucky fans “ weren’t happy with him here after the first couple of seasons. That is unacceptable at Kentucky.

Orlando Smith understood that he was longer doing the job that he was hired for so he moved on. He was and is man of integrity and I will always respect him for that. He understood that recruiting was a big part of the job and he evidently found it distasteful so he took a job where it wasn't as big of a deal. Great man and very good defensive basketball mind.
If my memory serves me, people were enraged by the way he left, compared it to a spouse sneaking out at midnight. I agree with you

“Not beating a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney” says it all in a nutshell why us “hillbilly Kentucky fans “ weren’t happy with him here after the first couple of seasons. That is unacceptable at Kentucky.
Define unacceptable.

Missing the tournament twice? Worst season in program history? Worst NCAA Tourney loss ever?

lBXIfQ7.png

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086

Not that it matters, but that isn’t a true statement. He beat Wisconsin in 2003, seeded 5. Picking nits, but if you’re gonna give a hot take, at least be accurate about it.

He also never had a first round exit, or missed the tournament. Cal has lost to a 15 seed, missed the tournament twice, and has one of only two losing seasons in the past 80+ years.

Here’s Tubby’s record over the years:
1998: 35-4 *National Championship
1999: 28-9
2000: 23-10
2001: 24-10
2002: 22-10
2003: 32-4
2004: 27-5
2005: 28-6
2006: 22-13
2007: 22-12

Looking at the records, it goes to show how much fans won’t tolerate disappointing March endings (a la our 2021-2022 season, complete with the consensus Player of the Year and 26-8 record. A terrible loss at the end to St Peter’s marred the memories of the season). Pitino spoiled us to where 10 losses or more seemed unacceptable, but both Tubby and Cal each have 5 seasons with 10 or more losses. From 1992-1997, UK was in the Elite Eight or Final Four or Championship every year except for that single early round Tournament loss in 1994. When you’re making the Final Four regularly, losses are easier to forgive (like in 2014); but when there’s a drought of post-season success, the pressure can build up.

Last edited:
The irony here is that one of the loudest criticisms of Tubby at the time was his ball-line defense.

Ten years after Calipari leaves, I can only imagine the nostalgia for the Calipari days.
Yeah its funny because it did frustrate at times but when on I've never seen better. The Fitch, Hawkins, Daniels, Hayes defensive run they went on that year is still the best I've ever seen. I mentioned this before but during that run Van Pelt even started making jokes on Sports Center when highlights showed the opponents actually scoring.

I think the key to that defense was that it took all 5 to be playing together and communicating to switch and cover and if one slacked off it broke down easily. So hard to get all 5 playing that way all the time. But man they sure did in that 2 month stretch

Here’s Tubby’s record over the years:
1998: 35-4 *National Championship
1999: 28-9
2000: 23-10
2001: 24-10
2002: 22-10
2003: 32-4
2004: 27-5
2005: 28-6
2006: 22-13
2007: 22-12

Looking at the records, it goes to show how much fans won’t tolerate disappointing March endings (a la our 2021-2022 season, complete with the consensus Player of the Year and 26-8 record. A terrible loss at the end to St Peter’s marred the memories of the season). Pitino spoiled us to where 10 losses or more seemed unacceptable, but both Tubby and Cal each have 5 seasons with 10 or more losses. When you’re making the Final Four regularly it’s easier to stomach; but when there’s a drought the pressure can build up.
The difference is Cal has actually taken a 10 loss team to the title game. He’s also had two seasons with 38 wins. No other coach has done that.

The difference is Cal has actually taken a 10 loss team to the title game. He’s also had two seasons with 38 wins. No other coach has done that.
Agree that when you have post-season success, the losses are easier to deal with.

OTS won with Rick's recruits. I'd settle for OTS using Cal's recruits. I could enjoy the outcome..

May not want OTS recruiting much but his coaching was decent. 1998 decent...
Greetings!
I still post from time to time as I wade through the madness.
I agree he won with RP's recruits and their battle tested fortitude .
I also give the Tubbster a shout-out for how he managed the clock, especially against Duke.
That tournament was his day in the sun.
Never climed the mountain after his one shining moment.

Greetings!
I still post from time to time as I wade through the madness.
I agree he won with RP's recruits and their battle tested fortitude .
I also give the Tubbster a shout-out for how he managed the clock, especially against Duke.
That tournament was his day in the sun.
Never climed the mountain after his one shining moment.

If you ever get your name figured out (The order), I will understand you better...;)

Why does his skin color matter?

He most certainly isn't close to mount Rushmore of coaches. This dumb separation of people based on race has to stop.

We don't say Larry bird is one of the best white players ever. We say one of the best players n nba history.
Agreed. That shit is so stale and pathetic. The ones that incorrectly cry racism always see the most color

Tubby thought like a lot of UK fans did. He thought the Kentucky name and tradition should be enough to have players want to play in Lexington. By the mid 00's, that started changing and instead of selling himself out or playing backchannels to get recruits, he moved on.

Glad to see Tubby receive another honor. As far as the worst coach ever at UK, it's hard to top Billy GIllispie.

Apparently news has broke that Tubby Smith will be honored with a bunch of other people from the other schools at the SEC tournament first round game.
I love hearing from Papaw Smith. I wish he could coach defense for our team! His list of statistics for his time at Kentucky are actually pretty good.
I look forward to seeing him in a month!!

Ball line defense for the win! Matchup zone!!
The way things have gone here over the last 4 or 5 years. Tubby is looking better everyday. Tubby was here 10 years. Kentucky made the NCAA tournament every year. UK won at least 1 NCAA tournament every year. Never had a losing season during Tubby's 10 years. Can Calipari say this?

Reactions: CatPhight
He also had two seasons out of fifteen where we didn't qualify for the NCAA Tournament, which is a hell of a lot easier to do now than it was when Rupp or Joe B. were coaching.

Remind me how many times a Tubby team failed to make the field.

You can't polish one turd with a blind eye to another.

Reactions: true blue1
The way things have gone here over the last 4 or 5 years. Tubby is looking better everyday. Tubby was here 10 years. Kentucky made the NCAA tournament every year. UK won at least 1 NCAA tournament every year. Never had a losing season during Tubby's 10 years. Can Calipari say this?
The thing they both have in common is when they got their big payday, they both promptly went to shit.

Loved Tubby but his biggest challenge was breaking the Final 4 after 1998.

Objectively, UK Coach Rankings, by accomplishment:

1) Rupp - 4 NC's, 6 Final 4's
2) Calipari - 1 NC, 4 Final 4's
3) Pitino - 1 NC, 3 Final 4's
4) Hall - 1 NC, 3 Final 4's
5) Smith - 1 NC, 1 Final 4
6) Sutton - 0 NC, 1 Final
7) Gillispie - 0

Cal is a HOF coach. Billy G is not.
HOF 😂😂😂😂😂 They let about every coach into that so let’s be honest it’s very watered down… Some fans these days would just be happy to hang those recruiting banners…. They should have something for the most overrated coaches and Cal would be in a toss up with Dean Smith for top spot in that.

HOF 😂😂😂😂😂 They let about every coach into that so let’s be honest it’s very watered down… Some fans these days would just be happy to hang those recruiting banners…. They should have something for the most overrated coaches and Cal would be in a toss up with Dean Smith for top spot in that.
Are you really suggesting Calipari doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

Please list the coaches who have coached greater than 6 Final 4's and have more than 1 national championship.

Go.

7) Gillispie - 0
Pitino should be 2 especially considering 2 things he did his in less time and when he left UK we were at the top of the mountain. Cal’s broke all too many of the wrong records and if you average all his 15 years out he’s below Hall.

Pitino should be 2 especially considering 2 things he did his in less time and when he left UK we were at the top of the mountain. Cal’s broke all too many of the wrong records and if you average all his 15 years out he’s below Hall.

Incorrect.

Calipari made four Final 4's in his first 5 years. That's a better rate than Pitino. So since Pitino quit the team he's ranked higher?

Please list the coaches who have coached greater than 6 Final 4's and have more than 1 national championship.

Go.
That’s fine but they don’t take into consideration his whole body of work.

9-16 season worst in school history

Loses to Gardner Webb, Evansville, Richmond, UNC Wilmington, and the Peacocks just to name a few

Worst tournament loss in the history of the school.

His win/ loss vs ranked teams

All this should be took into consideration when you’re going into the Hall of Fame.

7) Gillispie - 0
There is only one banner means anything.

National Championship average per year ranking.

Pitino - Title every 6 years
Rupp - Title every 9 years
Tubby - Title every 10 years
Hall - Title every 13 years
Calipari - Title every 14 years

Rupp would have had more Final Fours and likely titles, if he had the luxury of 3 times as many teams qualifying for the tourney like it is today. Plus the '54 team which was dry effed by the NCAA.

That’s fine but they don’t take into consideration his whole body of work.

9-16 season worst in school history

Loses to Gardner Webb, Evansville, Richmond, UNC Wilmington, and the Peacocks just to name a few

Worst tournament loss in the history of the school.

His win/ loss vs ranked teams

All this should be took into consideration when you’re going into the Hall of Fame.
This is called recency bias, but it's an absolutely ridiculous argument to suggest he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Even if you make the argument that Calipari peaked in 2015, never to make another Final 4 AND never makes another tournament, he is objectively one of the most accomplished college coaches. This would be like arguing Mickie Mantle shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame because the end of his career wasn't as HOF worthy as the beginning.

There is only one banner means anything.

National Championship average per year ranking.

Pitino - Title every 6 years
Rupp - Title every 9 years
Tubby - Title every 10 years
Hall - Title every 13 years
Calipari - Title every 14 years

Rupp would have had more Final Fours and likely titles, if he had the luxury of 3 times as many teams qualifying for the tourney like it is today. Plus the '54 team which was dry effed by the NCAA.

Your first sentence is incorrect. Tubby Smith probably never leaves Kentucky if he made multiple Final 4's. Clearly a Final 4 has meaning.

Furthermore, the nature of Kentucky basketball is that there are a TON of accomplishments not involving a national championship that are held high.

Incorrect.

Calipari made four Final 4's in his first 5 years. That's a better rate than Pitino. So since Pitino quit the team he's ranked higher?
Pitino also had his first 2 years strapped with probation and still accomplished what he accomplished in 8 years…. What’s Cal’s excuse and you don’t think that Cal hasn’t quit the team over the last 5 years. Cal is burning the program to the ground but keep taking up for the guy.

Go.
1-5 - who's done less with more?

If not for Anthony Davis, his fat ass would be 0'fer, while having the overwhelming advantage of talent.

Out coached by Kevin Ollie

<end thread>

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT