ADVERTISEMENT

The Tubbster at the Tournament

Bluegrass79

Senior
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently news has broke that Tubby Smith will be honored with a bunch of other people from the other schools at the SEC tournament first round game.
I love hearing from Papaw Smith. I wish he could coach defense for our team! His list of statistics for his time at Kentucky are actually pretty good.
I look forward to seeing him in a month!!

Ball line defense for the win! Matchup zone!!

Apparently news has broke that Tubby Smith will be honored with a bunch of other people from the other schools at the SEC tournament first round game.
I love hearing from Papaw Smith. I wish he could coach defense for our team! His list of statistics for his time at Kentucky are actually pretty good.

Pawpaw smith 😂

The irony here is that one of the loudest criticisms of Tubby at the time was his ball-line defense.

Ten years after Calipari leaves, I can only imagine the nostalgia for the Calipari days.

Tubby had the sense to leave after 10 seasons. CAL should have done the same . He has ruined his legacy a ton at UK post 2019 IMO.

Tubby had 1 final four in 10 seasons. That was the only stat that mattered to UK fans then. Funny how expectations lessen over time.

Worst coach to ever walk the sidelines at

Tubby had the sense to leave after 10 seasons. CAL should have done the same . He has ruined his legacy a ton at UK post 2019 IMO.

Tubby had 1 final four in 10 seasons. That was the only stat that mattered to UK fans then. Funny how expectations lessen over time.
Orlando Smith understood that he was longer doing the job that he was hired for so he moved on. He was and is man of integrity and I will always respect him for that. He understood that recruiting was a big part of the job and he evidently found it distasteful so he took a job where it wasn't as big of a deal. Great man and very good defensive basketball mind.

Worst coach to ever walk the sidelines at UK.
Tubby was actually a good coach. He simply did not recruit. Whether that was due to his dis-taste for it, or that he simply wasn't good for it, or got lazy, that is up for debate. But given the talent that he had, he was successful.
At Kentucky though, you need to do it all, be good at it all, embrace it all.

Orlando Smith understood that he was longer doing the job that he was hired for so he moved on. He was and is man of integrity and I will always respect him for that. He understood that recruiting was a big part of the job and he evidently found it distasteful so he took a job where it wasn't as big of a deal. Great man and very good defensive basketball mind.

He moved on because he was gonna be fired in the near future. He beat the posse to the punch.

Tubby was actually a good coach. He simply did not recruit. Whether that was due to his dis-taste for it, or that he simply wasn't good for it, or got lazy, that is up for debate. But given the talent that he had, he was successful.
At Kentucky though, you need to do it all, be good at it all, embrace it all.
I think he was just sick of all the dirty pool that goes with recruiting. He isn't a slime ball and you basically have to be to be a good recruiter

I love Tubby Smith. If he could've got 100th season championship......
We had won 27 straight. Tubby had it set up.

Tubby Smith is on the Mount Rushmore of the Best black coaches that have ever lived.
He is absolutely 100% better at X' and O's than Calipari Cant Coach. ,, 💯💯🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫

Well me and the people I know haven’t lessened our expectations. But something my son said kinda gave me a dose of reality. He’s 34 and a huge lifelong UK fan . Until last season he was firmly on the Calipari love train . When I asked him why he didn’t think anyone could do better he said, “well dad , I can only tubby and BCG before Calipari. I believe a lot of these Calipari fan boys are too young to remember before Tubby.

Tubby Smith is on the Mount Rushmore of the Best black coaches that have ever lived.
He is absolutely 100% better at X' and O's than Calipari Cant Coach. ,, 💯💯🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫🤫
I am sure you think you just gave Tubby a huge compliment.

Last edited:
Definite sign the Calipari era is nearing its end: Fans are propping up Tubby to bash Cal.

I remember the great OTS Civil War from 2006-07. It wasn’t too different from the present.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTyrone
Pawpaw smith 😂
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but BCG was the far better coach. He actually built 2 programs from nothing and is winning now. Tubby never won anything before here and never won anything after here. In fact, Tubby only had had one winning conference record after he left UK and that was his final year at Memphis whwre he was fired for it.

Also, after his gifted title Tubby never beat a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney for his carrer. Not in his 9 seasons here after that and not at stop after here.

He just was not a good coach. He was a lazy recruiter to boot.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but BCG was the far better coach. He actually built 2 programs from nothing and is winning now. Tubby never won anything before here and never won anything after here. In fact, Tubby only had had one winning conference record after he left UK and that was his final year at Memphis whwre he was fired for it.

Also, after his gifted title Tubby never beat a team seeded higher than a 6 in the NCAA tourney for his carrer. Not in his 9 seasons here after that and not at stop after here.

He just was not a good coach. He was a lazy recruiter to boot.
Tubby took Georgia and Tulsa to sweet sixteens before he came to UK. How many times you think those teams have been to the sweet sixteen?

Let me help you tubby has taken Georgia to 1 of two sweet sixteens. One of 4 for Tulsa. Yeah he’s a bad coach and accomplished nothing before coming here. Lol

Well me and the people I know haven’t lessened our expectations. But something my son said kinda gave me a dose of reality. He’s 34 and a huge lifelong UK fan . Until last season he was firmly on the Calipari love train . When I asked him why he didn’t think anyone could do better he said, “well dad , I can only tubby and BCG before Calipari. I believe a lot of these Calipari fan boys are too young to remember before Tubby.
I think a lot of his critics are still stuck pining for the 90s to come back, as if that was how UK basketball was throughout every decade.

There is nothing that's weirder to me on this board than the Tubby nostalgia these days. People on this board lost their minds about his recruiting, lack of tournament results, and playing style.

Last edited:
Worst coach to ever walk the sidelines at UK.

kfcgaming.prw.main.M3-8-2021.jpg

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Why does his skin color matter?

He most certainly isn't close to mount Rushmore of coaches. This dumb separation of people based on race has to stop.

We don't say Larry bird is one of the best white players ever. We say one of the best players n nba history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT