ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC is awful

LOL the SEC is one of the 3 best conferences this year. But the 3-4 bad teams like Ole MIss and A&M are reallllllllly bad. But the SEC will get 7-8 teams into the dance and is very loaded in terms of overall talent. But it truly is anyone's guess who the 2nd best team behind UK is as there are like 5 teams all about even like UF , AU , UT , LSU .

Ole Miss is way down this season. I expect to beat them like a rented mule.

Butler’s undefeated. Next two opponents are Florida and Baylor. They play a nice pre conference schedule.

The SEC is horrible.

-A&M is all-time dreadful. Just got killed by Harvard and Fairfield.
-Georgia is awful. Nearly lost to chaminade.
-South Carolina is awful. Murdered by wichita, lost to boston.
-Ole Miss is awful. Lose at home to butler, murdered by Oklahoma state. Should have lost to Penn st.
-Vandy is awful. Haven't played anyone yet.
-Florida is overrated. Looking better, but not the juggernaut that was expected.
-LSU was overrated. Lost to VCU, lost another one i can't recall.
-MIzzou is awful. Lost handily to both Oklahoma and stanford.
-Alabama is awful. Lost to to Atlantic 10 teams. Totally out of their league in Atlantis.

-MIss state is OK. Possible tourney team.
-Arkansas is better than expected. Though they needed a miracle to beat a bad Ga Tech team on the road.
-Tennessee is good, not great. Have two solid wins so far (VCU, Wash)
-Auburn is much better than expected. Could go deep and will challenge UK for SEC title.
-UK is a mixed bag. Beat MSU, but stunk it up in most of our other games.

I see UK, UT, Aubie, Florida as sure tourney teams. MSU, LSU, Arky are bubble teams. The rest suck.

So a shitty SEC team loses to a top-25 undefeated team and the entire conference is awful?

[laughing]

Have you been watching our conference this year? Just another loss to a team from the Big East at home. Mighty Butler will probably beat Florida soon too. Next time catch some semblance to my post. The title was the SEC is garbage.

It’s not a strong year for sure, sec is down. It’s a good thing too as we have a lot to work on.

Weird game to choose to try to illustrate a point. Ole Miss lost by 41 to Oklahoma State. Losing by 9 to a top 25 team is actually an accomplishment for them.

Speaking of Butler, how badly does it have to burn IU fans that Butler, a school with barely over 5,000 students, has outperformed them over the last decade by a huge margin? And done so with a lot of local players, mixed with a smart selection of 3 and 4 stars, that IU rarely ever even looked at.

Last edited:
The SEC is horrible.

-A&M is all-time dreadful. Just got killed by Harvard and Fairfield.
-Georgia is awful. Nearly lost to chaminade.
-South Carolina is awful. Murdered by wichita, lost to boston.
-Ole Miss is awful. Lose at home to butler, murdered by Oklahoma state. Should have lost to Penn st.
-Vandy is awful. Haven't played anyone yet.
-Florida is overrated. Looking better, but not the juggernaut that was expected.
-LSU was overrated. Lost to VCU, lost another one i can't recall.
-MIzzou is awful. Lost handily to both Oklahoma and stanford.
-Alabama is awful. Lost to to Atlantic 10 teams. Totally out of their league in Atlantis.

-MIss state is OK. Possible tourney team.
-Arkansas is better than expected. Though they needed a miracle to beat a bad Ga Tech team on the road.
-Tennessee is good, not great. Have two solid wins so far (VCU, Wash)
-Auburn is much better than expected. Could go deep and will challenge UK for SEC title.
-UK is a mixed bag. Beat MSU, but stunk it up in most of our other games.

I see UK, UT, Aubie, Florida as sure tourney teams. MSU, LSU, Arky are bubble teams. The rest suck.

Pretty much this. I might switch around Florida and Arkansas.

I have watched most of the SEC teams multiple times I will say Auburn looks good after losing Brown, Harper, Chuma, and Spencer. I will say they haven't really played anyone and 5 out of 7 has been home and in the legends tournament they played New Mexico and Richmond. I watched Florida vs. Marshall at Florida and Marshall should have won that game. LSU & Miss. State look OK but I haven't seen any dominating teams in the SEC like the 2-3 seasons. Last year in the SEC we had UK, Auburn, LSU, UT, UF, Ole Miss, and Miss. State all have good seasons and 20+ wins. Arkansas has played 7 out of 8 games at home and the last 3 vs. Austin Peay, Northern Ky, and Georgia Tech could have been losses.

Kentucky in the past years under Coach Cal normally starts playing outstanding and consistent basketball during the SEC Schedule heading into March Madness. The SEC teams that were strong last year that were playing like TOP 10 teams during Conference Play and March Madness were UT, UK, Auburn, LSU, and UF. This year no one at this time is playing like they did last year and most of these teams above lost outstanding players to graduation or early NBA Draft for 2019. I believe if UK can win in Vegas vs. Utah & OSU and win at home vs. UL and Texas Tech on the road going 12-1 in Non-conference will the majority of there SEC games this year. There will be of course 3 or 4 losses maybe on the Road in the SEC but I can see UK winning 28-30 games including SEC Conference Tourney before heading into NCAA Tournament time with a 1 or 2 seed if everyone is 100% healthy in March.

ole miss loses at home to Butler by 9 or 10.

I'll admit the SEC's overall performance has been disappointing thus far ...and maybe even awful ..but citing as your evidence a loss by Ole Miss to Butler is ridiculously damn weak.

In case you hadn't noticed, Butler is undefeated, ranked and quite good. Plus the Butler program is well known for its annual habit of consistently knocking off power conference teams.

Is ANYONE out there surprised to hear that Butler beat Ole Miss? Seems like a most expected result to me.

Last edited:
I'll admit the SEC's overall performance has been disappointing thus far ...and maybe even awful ..but citing as your evidence a loss by Ole Miss to Butler is ridiculously damn weak.

In case you hadn't noticed, Butler is undefeated, ranked and quite good. Plus the Butler program is well known for its annual habit of consistently knocking of power conference teams for two decades now.

Is ANYONE out there surprised to hear that Butler beat Ole Miss? Seems like a most expected result to me.

Pretty sure I already addressed this.

i can’t recall the last good ole miss team since ‘00. if the sec is garbage then we should easily win 14. win at home and take some shots on the road. may be good enough to win the conference when it’s said and done. i doubt ut gets the whistle it did last year. we’ll see.

In case you hadn't noticed, Butler is undefeated, ranked and quite good. Plus the Butler program is well known for its annual habit of consistently knocking of power conference teams for two decades now.

Definately didnt surprise me to see. I think they are capable of being a top 20 team all year. They are good. Wouldnt be shocked if they handled Florida next. The game is at Hinkle Fieldhouse I believe.

Mizzou lost to Charleston Southern tonight. That's embarassing. If it wasn't for Bruce Pearl cheating at Auburn, the SEC would only have UK as a F4 contender, UF with potential to be a good team and UT is decent but their record will probably be good because the rest of the league is terrible.

Arkansas has played 7 out of 8 games at home and the last 3 vs. Austin Peay, Northern Ky, and Georgia Tech could have been losses.
I understand what you are saying, but they weren't. Arkansas is decent, and will surprise some SEC teams this season. We are extremely undersized, and have been in a horrendous offensive slump for the last several games, and even though the schedule has been soft, the defense is legitimate, and statistically one of the best in the nation.

We have started 8-0 with a new coach and a completely new system, avoided any ridiculous losses with one true road win, and another true road game at Western Kentucky on Saturday. Bassey may completely eat our lunch inside, but it will be interesting and revealing to see how this one plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: gohawgsgo
I have no idea if this is the case or not but if the SEC is bad then those games vs Ohio St. UL and Texas Tech are really huge in terms of seeding for us.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Looking at Kenpom (which has us currently 5th best conference) there is a clear separation between the top half of the SEC (UK, UF, UT, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU and Miss St) and the bottom half.

And it makes sense when u look at the records
Top half = 45-7
Bottom Half = 31-22

When looking at the tournament I do think it's reasonable to say those top seven make the tournament. I'm not so sure about any of team tho. Maybe another one sneaks up.

FWIW Massey Composite Rankings which takes the average of a bunch of system actually has the SEC as 6th best overall even behind the Pac12.

So based on early results, it would appear the consensus is that the SEC is indeed awful this season.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
We ,USC, have been disappointing so far this season. Hopefully we will improve but we got some issues to work through with some interesting young talent. We got Keyshawn Bryant back tonight and he looked good and improved the team in lots of ways. We got three pretty tough games coming up, Houston here Sunday and then at Clemson and UVA after exams. If somehow we can 2 out of 3 of those I will be thrilled

SEC bad helps the young Cats if they don’t look past anyone. In a down year seeding will be everything.

Every year everybody says the SEC is awful

Not true

SEC road games are portals to hell

Everyone says it every year because in most years it's the truth tho lol

Not "awful" I wouldn't say awful. I mean it's still a power conference. And road games are still very tough.

It's just we are way closer to the Pac 12 level than we are the Big Ten level.

Missouri lost to Charleston Southern tonight. Do you consider that a quality loss?

I dont recall saying UK was an NIT team. But I do agree, the SEC sucks as a whole this year.
he definitely made a huge reach and strawman argument over your post...but; you know if we lose to OSU and/or UL there will be numerous threads that UK is NIT bound...it is like clockwork

Reactions: Mike-D
he definitely made a huge reach and strawman argument over your post...but; you know if we lose to OSU and/or UL there will be numerous threads that UK is NIT bound...it is like clockwork

You’ve got some people on here that are waiting to lose their mind over something. Whether that be what you’re referring to, or the simple fact that I chose the Ole Miss game to say that the SEC was bad. The evidence is out there, it shouldn’t matter which game you choose.

You’ve got some people on here that are waiting to lose their mind over something. Whether that be what you’re referring to, or the simple fact that I chose the Ole Miss game to say that the SEC was bad. The evidence is out there, it shouldn’t matter which game you choose.
not to change subject...but...
wow, college basketball as a whole really seems bad this year...NCAAT time will be interesting IF,IF this continues

Reactions: Mike-D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT