ADVERTISEMENT

The real question that need to be asked?

Dontworryboutit23

All-American
Jan 4, 2022
We as fans have a shortlist of coaches we like if calipari leaves. But the important question is do we trust Mitch Barnhart to do that?

No doubt, my worry is Mitch takes the easy road and hides holtzmann because he knows he can easily get him
I'd love to see Holtmann show up in my HS conference and coach against him. Well let me take that back, I'd like to see it next year when state goes to mandatory shot clock because he if he was up against us this year--he'd go Four Corners and Stall Ball.

The #1 thing I'd bring up to those who aren't familiar with Holtmann. If you hate how Cal coaches with a lead/late in games-you'd hate all 40 mins of Holtmann ball. It's stall ball for a game.

I’ll phrase the question in a similar but different way. Will Barnhart be willing to pay a massive salary again or use this as a time to cut cost relative to Cal’s contract?

For reference there were 5 coaches making more than 5 mill a year going into the season. Self, Cal, Beard(no longer obviously), Izzo, and Barnes.

I’ll phrase the question in a similar but different way. Will Barnhart be willing to pay a massive salary again or use this as a time to cut cost relative to Cal’s contract?

For reference there were 5 coaches making more than 5 mill a year going into the season. Self, Cal, Beard(no longer obviously), Izzo, and Barnes.
I see Mitch taking the easy hire, holtzmann and pope are attainable and would be easy to get

I don't care if it's a Virginia styled offense and defense, or a run and gun, whatever. I care if it is a winning formula making us a feared and elite team again and recruiting good players that will develop and stick around. A number of teams that have beat us didn't have a roster of 5 stars athletes but a roster of basketball players. When we have to talk about all the great players at Kentucky and how they are doing in the NBA what good is that for our college game outcomes?

Reactions: TTTblue24
It’s my opinion that there has been a search and conversations going on for some time with regard to our coaching situation. I’d say more than people know.

I'd love to see Holtmann show up in my HS conference and coach against him. Well let me take that back, I'd like to see it next year when state goes to mandatory shot clock because he if he was up against us this year--he'd go Four Corners and Stall Ball.

The #1 thing I'd bring up to those who aren't familiar with Holtmann. If you hate how Cal coaches with a lead/late in games-you'd hate all 40 mins of Holtmann ball. It's stall ball for a game.
Yeah that’s a no thank you from me

I think Mitch has done a great job overall as AD. The results speak for themselves.

But, look at the hires for the "major" programs. Joker (failure), Stoops (huge success), BCG (utter disaster), Cal (huge success), Matthew Mitchell (good success), Elzy (pretty terrible).

It's mixed, at best. Has to be at least a little worrisome.

Travis Ford will likely be in the conversation.
This prompted a quick lookup on Ford, and I found this link:

Travis Ford on Thatch injury

Travis gets pretty choked up talking about Fred Thatch's career ending injury. Seems Thatch is the ideal of the student-athlete, had already graduated and earned one masters and is working on another when he tore an ACL in Wednesday's game. (Thatch already missed one season due to an earlier injury)

This prompted a quick lookup on Ford, and I found this link:

Travis Ford on Thatch injury

Travis gets pretty choked up talking about Fred Thatch's career ending injury. Seems Thatch is the ideal of the student-athlete, had already graduated and earned one masters and is working on another when he tore an ACL in Wednesday's game. (Thatch already missed one season due to an earlier injury)

The NFL has gone to young coaches and we need to do the same, Not some oversized ego that it is their way or the highway but someone who can listen, learn, adapt, reinvent and relate to their team. Surround him with higher paid assistants so it is a collective of ideas.
We know what we don't want again.

I do not need the best i need someone who can become the best.

Reactions: EliteBlue
The question is would there be a hire that is worse than keeping Cal? Or would everyone just be happy to be moving on? Even if they hire a BCG 2.0 it at least forces them two start the search for the next program savior.

Reactions: Lazlo7
I think Mitch has done a great job overall as AD. The results speak for themselves.

But, look at the hires for the "major" programs. Joker (failure), Stoops (huge success), BCG (utter disaster), Cal (huge success), Matthew Mitchell (good success), Elzy (pretty terrible).

I think Mike Pratt should get credit for Cal

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
0013a_ftb.jpg

When he lost that game earlier this year by not putting a man on the freaking inbounds I was like “Nope”.

He did great for his first bit, just like Cal. But also like Cal he refuses to adapt in modern AD promotion. They both need to go.

I love Casey. But, he's almost 66 years old, has 2 years left on a $7+ million annual salary in the NBA and hasn't been associated with anything UK related in 35 years. I don't think he's even remotely an option for UK to consider.
Agreed. This a high pressure job. And especially so at UK. We need someone younger that can handle it and wants to handle it.

I can’t imagine being 65+ and taking on the stress.

It’s why Rick is at Iona. He can still coach but the pressure to win is not near what it is at a major P5 school much less a historical blue blood.

Agreed. This a high pressure job. And especially so at UK. We need someone younger that can handle it and wants to handle it.

I can’t imagine being 65+ and taking on the stress.

It’s why Rick is at Iona. He can still coach but the pressure to win is not near what it is at a major P5 school much less a historical blue blood.
I believe Rick is still at Iona just because a bigger job has yet to be offered. Keep an eye on Syracuse if Jim Boeheim decides to let them have their basketball program back .

I believe Rick is still at Iona just because a bigger job has yet to be offered. Keep an eye on Syracuse if Jim Boeheim decides to let them have their basketball program back .
But is the pressure to win a Syracuse really there like say , Uk or UNC? Not even close. It’s why Boehiem is still there. No pressure.

So Duracuse or Maryland would be a step up for Rick to finish out his career without being thrown in a pressure cooker like UK or Duke.

Can you IMAGINE the pressure that would be on Rick if he came back here? Holy Moses.

I love Casey. But, he's almost 66 years old, has 2 years left on a $7+ million annual salary in the NBA and hasn't been associated with anything UK related in 35 years. I don't think he's even remotely an option for UK to consider.
DC would be the perfect interim option to right the ship and his chance of availability is very high if fat ass waddles off to Austin mid-season...

The thought makes me cringe

But is the pressure to win a Syracuse really there like say , Uk or UNC? Not even close. It’s why Boehiem is still there. No pressure.

So Duracuse or Maryland would be a step up for Rick to finish out his career without being thrown in a pressure cooker like UK or Duke.

Can you IMAGINE the pressure that would be on Rick if he came back here? Holy Moses.
I agree. I’m betting Syracuse will be thrilled with ANYONE other than Boeheim at this point . Can you imagine?

I agree. I’m betting Syracuse will be thrilled with ANYONE other than Boeheim at this point . Can you imagine?
Boehiem just needs to enjoy his last years. It was so sad to see that he wet himself at that one game. It was even more sad to see people make fun of him. Had that been my dad or granddad I’d have told you exactly what corner of hell you could visit for making fun of an old man.

Reactions: EliteBlue

I actually attended the OSU - Purdue game last week, and I would have sworn that Cal was on the sidelines at the end of the game, drawing up OSU's "offense."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT