ADVERTISEMENT

The press conference at Rupp

chroix

All-SEC
Jul 22, 2013
I’m starting to think that that moment had more impact than anyone realized at the moment. The national media said we were cooked with Cal’s departure, that we were already mad at the new coach. They said we were done. They wanted us to be done. But the big blue nation rose up, united, and showed the world what BBN means.

I think that has helped Pope hit the ground running in a way that is paying huge dividends. He isn’t stuck cleaning up PR with fans. The opposite. He’s got a better relationship with the administration and boosters already. He’s able to fully focus and he’s crushing it.

So all of that said, I think the fans deserve some credit for how smoothly this transition has gone. The national media wanted us to be the bad guys in this story but in the end I think we’ve demonstrated why BBN is the best fan base anywhere anytime.

Cal wore everybody out. Despite what many on here said, that we were a vocal minority, and that REAL UK FANS supported Cal. The presser is evident of that being false. I know a lot of people who stopped watching years ago. Some never jived with Cal's one and done model. They're all back on board with Pope. This hire really reunited the fanbase. Finally getting back to being a college program after being rented out for 15 years. The UK vs CU game will next electric next year. I want to see Pope drag that dude by 25. In front of a packed Rupp that Cal always begged to show up to games.

I’m starting to think that that moment had more impact than anyone realized at the moment. The national media said we were cooked with Cal’s departure, that we were already mad at the new coach. They said we were done. They wanted us to be done. But the big blue nation rose up, united, and showed the world what BBN means.

I think that has helped Pope hit the ground running in a way that is paying huge dividends. He isn’t stuck cleaning up PR with fans. The opposite. He’s got a better relationship with the administration and boosters already. He’s able to fully focus and he’s crushing it.

So all of that said, I think the fans deserve some credit for how smoothly this transition has gone. The national media wanted us to be the bad guys in this story but in the end I think we’ve demonstrated why BBN is the best fan base anywhere anytime.
Speaking of boosters, it didn’t take long for Barnhart to point out boosters had pledged $4 mil to NIL to help get the ball rolling for Pope.😉

Last edited:
Cal wore everybody out. Despite what many on here said, that we were a vocal minority, and that REAL UK FANS supported Cal. The presser is evident of that being false. I know a lot of people who stopped watching years ago. Some never jived with Cal's one and done model. They're all back on board with Pope. This hire really reunited the fanbase. Finally getting back to being a college program after being rented out for 15 years. The UK vs CU game will next electric next year. I want to see Pope drag that dude by 25. In front of a packed Rupp that Cal always begged to show up to games.

Smoked pig sounds good to me.

radio 1 yes GIF by BBC Radio 1’s Biggest Weekend

Sorry you didn't recognize the impact of the press conference, but I did...before it even took place.

I don’t see how someone can just “stop” watching, as u say. That makes no sense to me. Not like the coach is fine, and be critical and disagree with his every move like myself, but to just stop watching is something I have a hard time believing.

It was a strange thing that happened to me. I was mad at Cal and posted about it (sorry, was a bit emotional). Then the press conference was announced, and I started seeing the excitement grow. My g/f and I had nothing going on, so I was like... let's drive down and check it out. We can eat in Lexington and make a day of it. Keep in mind, we hadn't gone to a game in almost a decade at that time, and we weren't following Kentucky Basketball at all. The constant in and out of players, the poor defense this past year, and so many SEC tourney losses and NCAA tourney losses just made me lose interest. So, she was surprised when I asked at all. Funny, we hadn't purchased a piece of gear in years... so none of our UK clothes fit LOL. We had to improvise.

I'm glad we went. We had a BLAST. So much blue... soothing on the eyes. We ate at Pies and Pints and I was glued to my phone, already looking at recruiting news. It has actually rejuvenated me more than I realized it would.

Sorry you didn't recognize the impact of the press conference, but I did...before it even took place.
Same here. People can't help but try and disguise that they STILL aren't crazy about the Pope hire. What was that Cal about the dog that yips the loudest? Any real UK fan would have been immediately ecstatic over the thought of Pope and that ensuing press conference. It's one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed.

It was depressing watching them for the most part, to me anyway. Unless you scouted the team and kept up with news, it was impossible to know who was even on the team or even if the players cared. I loved Oscar, so I listened on the radio when I could. But I wasn't fired up in a "I'll miss a wedding for a UK game" kind of way. And the message board was depressing. I had better things to do
I don’t see how someone can just “stop” watching, as u say. That makes no sense to me. Not like the coach is fine, and be critical and disagree with his every move like myself, but to just stop watching is something I have a hard time believing.

Reactions: catzcan

It happens to a lot of fans and fan bases. I eat lunch with a friend periodically who used to be a huge IU fan, now he barely even knows the program and takes his family and daughters to the IU women’s games a few times a year.

We were a few years away from everyone except the truly die hards being that way!

When you know the outcome of the game before it happens it becomes aggravating and sometimes stressful for fans to the point of why even watch?

We knew we were not going to win 6 games in a row with our two best players on the team on the bench this tourney but most expected one win.

It’s a sad state when it comes to this but I completely understand how it happens.

It was a strange thing that happened to me. I was mad at Cal and posted about it (sorry, was a bit emotional). Then the press conference was announced, and I started seeing the excitement grow. My g/f and I had nothing going on, so I was like... let's drive down and check it out. We can eat in Lexington and make a day of it. Keep in mind, we hadn't gone to a game in almost a decade at that time, and we weren't following Kentucky Basketball at all. The constant in and out of players, the poor defense this past year, and so many SEC tourney losses and NCAA tourney losses just made me lose interest. So, she was surprised when I asked at all. Funny, we hadn't purchased a piece of gear in years... so none of our UK clothes fit LOL. We had to improvise.

I'm glad we went. We had a BLAST. So much blue... soothing on the eyes. We ate at Pies and Pints and I was glued to my phone, already looking at recruiting news. It has actually rejuvenated me more than I realized it would.
I'm very happy for you guys. We were way up in the area where you come out of the corridor and into the seats. I'll never forget seeing an older gentleman to our left who was listening very intently, and just nodding away at all the great things Pope was saying. To our right was a lady by herself, she all smiles the whole time and I could feel that she was a lifelong UK fan. She looked to be in her 40's or so. Did the seating arrangement for press and family appear to be in the shape of a "1"?

• Love
Reactions: meow_cat
Kentucky definitely showed out in a big way.
When you know the outcome of the game before it happens it becomes aggravating and sometimes stressful for fans to the point of why even watch?

We knew we were not going to win 6 games in a row with our two best players on the team on the bench this tourney but most expected one win.

It’s a sad state when it comes to this but I completely understand how it happens.
I literally told my S/O that watching Kentucky struggle to even compete, despite the fact that we're loaded each and every year, wasn't worth the blood pressure spikes. I said that maybe 5 seconds before Reed hit a three against some conference opponent. Can't remember exactly which one. Yes, I still watched against my better judgement sometimes.

I watched some, but it was miserable 85% of the time. Get bullied in the paint, let the opponent hit wide open threes, every once in a while hit a highlight-level play because we have young talent, and repeat. Every game.

I was tired of it. I had held out hope that Cal could right the ship and get back to winning... until about the 2021 debacle. It was disheartening watching the univeristy that I and my dad had watched when I was younger get taken over by selfish interests, defensive personalities, and dumb kids using the Kentucky brand for personal gain while getting the shat kicked out of them in the tourney.

I'll stop there. I get why fans started peeling off.

Ah, I don't remember the seating arrangement. I was just pretty "eyes wide and blinking." :)
I'm very happy for you guys. We were way up in the area where you come out of the corridor and into the seats. I'll never forget seeing an older gentleman to our left who was listening very intently, and just nodding away at all the great things Pope was saying. To our right was a lady by herself, she all smiles the whole time and I could feel that she was a lifelong UK fan. She looked to be in her 40's or so. Did the seating arrangement for press and family appear to be in the shape of a "1"?

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
If this is true, then he was getting recruits without NIL money?
Cost/benefit analysis. With Cal, going to Kentucky sacrificed the immediate paycheck but bolstered/guaranteed future pay in the league (or at least a league).

I believe there are four types of fans.
The radical fan that gets their self worth out of their team.
When there's a win, all is well, a loss, the sky is falling.
There's no consoling them outside of agreeing with them .
Otherwise they'll come at you like a wounded animal.
Next you have the silver lining fan who's glass is always full.
They will look for the positive even after a loss.
Next, the indifferent fan. They're just along for the ride.
They like hanging out with people and their happiness is in themselves.
They may get disappointed after a loss, but they know it's over and done and irreversible.
Last the go with the flow fan who will follow whichever trend they feel gets them the most atta boys.
JMO

Reactions: chroix
It happens to a lot of fans and fan bases. I eat lunch with a friend periodically who used to be a huge IU fan, now he barely even knows the program and takes his family and daughters to the IU women’s games a few times a year.

We were a few years away from everyone except the truly die hards being that way!

I know lots of fans that simply stopped watching. It was the constant roster turnover. The players first above the program, his sarcastic tone with the fans and plenty of other reasons.
I'm so glad he's gone.

Kentucky Basketball isn't about a single coach. It is about all of the people in the Commonwealth and around the globe who have made the program what it is. Calipari had it all wrong from the start, and his time here will often be remembered for what could have been, instead of what he actually did. Kentucky Basketball isn't about the NBA or billions in salary cap, and never was.

Kentucky showed up and let the detractors know that we can bring 30k+ to a press conference with short notice. Rumors of our demise as a program have been greatly exaggerated.

I also don't understand not watching games but I know many people in my own family who had stopped watching a few years back. With the hire of Pope they are extremely excited and back into Kentucky basketball.

I didn’t stop watching but, I thought about it several times. However, I know several people that did stop watching, my 78 year old dad being one of them. He loves UK basketball but refused to watch them as long as Calipari was the coach. He said it wasn’t good basketball. So, he watched everyone but UK. Some older veterans I know stopped watching after the kneeling and swore they wouldn’t watch again as Calipari was here. Glad those days are over!

Reactions: catzcan

You could not know what the enormous effect of this event would be prior to it taking place. This is a ridiculous statement. You’re a super fan. I get it. But you’re not psychic.

If this is true, then he was getting recruits without NIL money?

It was his La Familia fund. And no he was not getting recruits without NIL. He was getting recruits with NIL and then failing to do anything of substance with them.

Cost/benefit analysis. With Cal, going to Kentucky sacrificed the immediate paycheck but bolstered/guaranteed future pay in the league (or at least a league).
And proof that they were playing not to get hurt.

You could not know what the enormous effect of this event would be prior to it taking place. This is a ridiculous statement. You’re a super fan. I get it. But you’re not psychic.
I don't agree. As soon as it was announced that he was a candidate for the position, I knew he would be the right hire. He's so much the opposite of Calipari, WANTS to be here, LOVES UK, and did a fantastic job of coaching out at BYU where his pool of talent to pick from was very limited. I even dreamt that he would be made coach.

Nobody really believes that going to KY increased their chances to play in the/a league. In fact, I think it hurt some of their chances.

I ate there too. We probably passed each other

Reactions: meow_cat
I don't agree. As soon as it was announced that he was a candidate for the position, I knew he would be the right hire. He's so much the opposite of Calipari, WANTS to be here, LOVES UK, and did a fantastic job of coaching out at BYU where his pool of talent to pick from was very limited. I even dreamt that he would be made coach.

I think we’re talking apples and oranges. There were a bunch of people that were set on other coaches. It understandably took them some time to come around. Sometimes fans never come around. There was potential for that to be the case and to be fair that wouldn’t make those people less of fans. There are still people ready to die on the Tubby hill. In this case they did settle down and rallied around the new coach and I think it has been extremely beneficial. That’s all I’m saying.

. We waited in line for 4-5 hours and I spoke to many people including Matt Jones. The idea that anyone would think any of us were a vocal minority is absurd. Matt sure understood it. Total nonsense and stupidity at a level I’ve never seen to say Calipari was wanted here. I do appreciate one thing, his stone cold supporters seemed to have woke up very quickly. Had we had an AD worth his salt Calipari wouldn’t have made it to this point at Kentucky. and I believe there are reasons for why nothing happened, but it’s for another day.

That press conference is the most amazing sporting event I’ve ever been to in my life, and I’ve been to national title games and World Series clinching games. It was so unreal that I still have trouble processing it in its entirety. The state showed up to send him packing and what Kentucky did to Calipari on the way out is something he’s never experienced and will leave a lasting impression.

Cal separated UK from it’s history. He only cared about his legacy and his name. Even more clear now that he has announced that the University of Cal is now open in Fayeteville. Anyone that still wants him here needs go pull for the Hogs. May his days in Arkansas be as depressing as his last 5 years here were for the fans.

. We waited in line for 4-5 hours and I spoke to many people including Matt Jones. The idea that anyone would think any of us were a vocal minority is absurd. Matt sure understood it. Total nonsense and stupidity at a level I’ve never seen to say Calipari was wanted here. I do appreciate one thing, his stone cold supporters seemed to have woke up very quickly. Had we had an AD worth his salt Calipari wouldn’t have made it to this point at Kentucky. and I believe there are reasons for why nothing happened, but it’s for another day.

That press conference is the most amazing sporting event I’ve ever been to in my life, and I’ve been to national title games and World Series clinching games. It was so unreal that I still have trouble processing it in its entirety. The state showed up to send him packing and what Kentucky did to Calipari on the way out is something he’s never experienced and will leave a lasting impression.
I'll bet you anything that the vast majority of folks who made it a point to attend the press conference were NOT RR or KSR members, but I'm thinking that's not what you were referring to. I love what you said about the press conference and what it did to Calipari in response to what he did to BBN :D

Reactions: UKBloke
I'll bet you anything that the vast majority of folks who made it a point to attend the press conference were NOT RR or KSR members, but I'm thinking that's not what you were referring to. I love what you said about the press conference and what it did to Calipari in response to what he did to BBN :D

Yea I probably didn’t word any of that right. Sometimes I’m in my head when I communicate. Someone had mentioned the fact that we had so many here saying those of us that wanted him removed were a minority. It’s the most out of touch nonsense I’ve ever heard. During the Reed Sheppard experience and the press conference it’s all that was being talked about. At work in Lexington even the causal fans who don’t really follow were done with the guy. He was really damaging the UK brand and the past players were well aware of it and it’s why the event was the way it was. Everyone showed up to say Calipari is not UK we are UK and we all collectively came to throw him out face first.

I agree completely, Chroix ! Great post.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT